Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog >> RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 11/23/2012 9:17:21 AM   
STIENER

I too was a little worried about the 3D engine. I'm glad to hear it will still be a top down view thanks matrix. A 3D engine like COH doesn't interest me at all and I would also stop buying the CC games at that point.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 31
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 11/27/2012 3:35:04 AM   
Reboot

61 years old, been wargaming for 40+ years, and CC since CC2 was released
when there is something better than CC to simulate WWII armored warfare then I'll play it

hey mooxe, trolling in your own troll hole not enough for you?

Post #: 32
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/16/2012 9:21:58 PM   
thesock

I'm 56 with 10 years in the Infantry behind me, and more books on WW2 than cupboards to keep them in.
Most of my cc years have been spent playing my brother at campaigns. Playing against the ia in comparison is pointless, also I don't get any joy from single battles. A good regular game partner makes all the difference.
But the greatest thing about cc is being able to go into the data files and change things. Add soldiers, reduce blast, speed fire rates, what you can do is almost endless.
Long live cc.

(in reply to Reboot)
Post #: 33
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/19/2012 10:12:45 PM   
Rake

I'd still be playing the original CC if I had a computer that would run it. CC2 (ABTF) was the best of the series, but they seemed to drift downhill after that. I'm hoping that PitF will change that "progression", now that I've found out how to get rid of the fog...

(in reply to thesock)
Post #: 34
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/20/2012 3:11:57 AM   
Reboot

sheesh......this reminds me of the joke about removing all the harmful ingredients from a fine single malt - you get water

the fog in PITF is like blowing bridges in ABTF - a new feature that adds challenge to the game
we got fog, towing guns, mounting troops on vehicles, timed targeting on mortars, and more in PITF
and you piss n moan like an ASVAB waiver encountering the "fog" of war for the first time

......and I'd still be playing Avalon Hill games with a f*cking dice if I was in retrograde

< Message edited by Reboot -- 12/20/2012 3:14:52 AM >

(in reply to Rake)
Post #: 35
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/20/2012 2:27:45 PM   
mbar

I admit I was hesitant buying PitF considering I have CC games and I thought the fog feature might bug me. But it isn't as frustrating as I thought it would be other than "Hey it's foggy" The 32 bit color does make a difference and makes the screen clear to see. Does that make any sense?

(in reply to Reboot)
Post #: 36
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/20/2012 3:07:45 PM   
SabotTX

I really like PitF and the 32 bit upgrade. IMHO... it's worth the price.

A side note... Any idea if the future will include the Pacific? I know the majority like the ETO but... maybe a pacific add-on or the like to a title instead of a pacific standalone.... ?

< Message edited by SabotTx -- 12/20/2012 3:18:24 PM >

Shoot'em until they burn...

Post #: 37
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/20/2012 8:43:09 PM   
SteveMcClaire

We've talked about doing a Pacific theater game, and it is something I'd like to do.  It would have to be something we could spend a fair bit of time on though, since the Pacific fighting was typically very different in character, and scale, from the European theater.  Jungles. Tunnels. Some tweaks to morale mechanics. That sort of thing.

(in reply to SabotTX)
Post #: 38
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/20/2012 9:10:05 PM   
MAD JACK 109

Now if its a pacific game your thinking about, it has to be Guadalcanal!

(in reply to SteveMcClaire)
Post #: 39
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/20/2012 11:49:43 PM   
STIENER

Russian front.......Kursk or a part of that Battle & campagn

(in reply to MAD JACK 109)
Post #: 40
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/21/2012 5:11:34 AM   
Death Method

I agree with Steiner, this series needs to head back to the eastern front!

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 41
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/21/2012 2:41:17 PM   
jwduquette1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Death Method

+1

(in reply to Death Method)
Post #: 42
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/21/2012 6:36:44 PM   
Southernland

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwduquette1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Death Method

+1

YUP!

(in reply to jwduquette1)
Post #: 43
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/21/2012 8:56:47 PM   
MAD JACK 109

Eastern Front is ok as long as vehicle pathing is sorted, which still hasnt been fully resolved as far as I am aware. Is PITF better?

CC excells in infantry combat, which would make something along the lines of Guadalcanal very interesting, as both sides at that time were about even.

(in reply to Southernland)
Post #: 44
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/22/2012 12:59:48 AM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

Close Combat is still one of our most popular games in terms of hours played and sales so the stats seem to be against this.

That's because for a long while only it and Steel Panthers were the only worthwhile games out there and Steel Panthers being the most popular. This series being over 10 years old of course it's going to have more hours played but that doesn't mean it's all that great it means more it was about the only thing to play other than Steel Panthers for years. Now with games like the Total War series and Norbsofts Civilwar I'd be sure in a 10 year span they will be more popular than Close Combat series.

Post #: 45
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/22/2012 3:24:20 AM   
heyhellowhatsnew

I like this series. This game made me want to buy the rest of the CC games next week. I like it.

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 46
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/22/2012 4:00:06 AM   
LitFuel

Vote for Pacific and Eastern Front...To have so many CC games and never have an official CC Pacific game seems wrong (mods don't count and don't work that well anyway). Just one at least...tunnels, jungle fighting, banzai charges would be a nice change instead of the same looking battlefields over and over. Also a nice and new challenge for the developers I would think.

Also new Eastern front as CCIII/Cross of Iron had that linear path that always ended the same no matter what you did win or lose.

(in reply to heyhellowhatsnew)
Post #: 47
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/22/2012 9:19:02 AM   
Rtwfreak

A random map generator and quick battles ala Steel Panthers or Combat Mission or Panzer Command is what this series needs also. I never have liked playing a single map more than once.

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 48
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/22/2012 12:43:36 PM   
Reboot

quote:

ORIGINAL: heyhellowhatsnew

I like this series. This game made me want to buy the rest of the CC games next week. I like it.

then get ready for the long haul, as well as the "official" versions, there are hundreds of comprehensive mods, and some of them are superb

Post #: 49
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/22/2012 4:59:31 PM   
topper6

quote:

ORIGINAL: STIENER

Russian front.......Kursk or a part of that Battle & campagn

+1 Steiner :)

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 50
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/25/2012 6:34:06 AM   
Bamilus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reboot

61 years old, been wargaming for 40+ years, and CC since CC2 was released
when there is something better than CC to simulate WWII armored warfare then I'll play it

hey mooxe, trolling in your own troll hole not enough for you?

I just turned 23 but I still wholeheartedly agree!

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to Reboot)
Post #: 51
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/25/2012 7:59:34 AM   
Tejszd

quote:

ORIGINAL: heyhellowhatsnew

Welcome aboard!

Buying all the games will give you a decade of gaming, at least that is how long I've been playing CC, and a large variety in the game styles....

COI - linear eastern front campaign, you can't change history, but it does cover all the years of fighting so it has a large variety of guns/tanks available over time. Uses a point system to buy/upgrade squads/vehicles.
CCMT - best single battle editor/setup and modern weapons. It also supports more than H2H (5 vs 5) but so few picked up the game because it has no campaign that it is hard to find opponents
WAR - has a strat map to determine where battles will occur with lots of winter maps. Uses a forcepool to limit available squads/vehicles.
TLD - has a strat map to determine where battles will occur and covers D-day. Including Para drops the first night and all the Allied forces (British/Canadian/US). Uses a forcepool to limit available squads/vehicles.
LSA - has a strat map to determine where battles will occur plus adds blowing bridges along with allowing 2 BG's per map (this is/was a big change though some found it complicated). It uses a point system like CC2 and CC3 to buy squads/vehicles.

Post #: 52
RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? - 12/25/2012 5:40:16 PM   
Moltke71

Speaking to the original post, I would say "No" and would ask him if Civ has outlived its time. Harpoon? Risk? A classic is a classic. Panzer General has re-emerged as Panzer Corp and still captivates. No game is dead until developers and modders give up.

Jim Cobb

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 53
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog >> RE: Hasn't this game out lived it's time? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI