Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Vahauser vs Tomanbeg C&C Special

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Vahauser vs Tomanbeg C&C Special Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vahauser vs Tomanbeg C&C Special - 12/22/2002 6:40:22 AM   
Tomanbeg

Col. Mittelberg pulls off his leather mitten. Then he pulls off his woolen mitten. Then he pulls off his driving glove. Next he scratches his nose. His nose doesn't itch, it is way to cold for that. Col Mittelberg is just checking to see if he still has a nose. Although he suposes that if it had frozen off he would have noticed it laying on the map he has been studying so intently for the last hour. With or without a nose lying on it, he doesn't care much for what he sees. But it is December, 1941 and like the rest of the wehrmacht all he really cares about is getting warm again. 'Well' he thinks, 'it will get warm enough soon'. Col. Mittelberg has taken Panzers down more then one dusty road and he knows that battles are always hot. And this one is looking like a hard nut to crack. An Armored spearhead under Koniev has cracked the front around Kalinin and is trying to cut off 3 Panzer group. The good Col has been given his own combat group and ordered to stop the envelopment. It to cold for flying but somwhere along this 12 KM swath of snow and Ice is his enemy. Find them and stop them, his orders read.

Mission: control and/or prevent the Soviets from controlling the center of a 5 KM by 12 KM strip of earth.

There are 13 v-hexes worth 30 Points per turn. It's a 24 turn game so that makes 9360 points. Each 'home' cluster of v hexes has 4 100 point End of game flags. So that makes 10160 points, give or take a few. At 10,000 points per side it is going to take about 15,000 points to get a victory. That is a lot of T-34's. Which leads me into;
Enemy: Col Mittelberg is worried about his troops. He is used to having better quality forces, but the Cold has balanced the scales. Koniev has the Soviets last strategic reserve under his Control. Well trained Siberian troops whose greater experience in cold weather will offset the greater combat experience of the wehrmacht. Plus there will be masses of T-34's and Kv's. The Summer days of light weight BT tanks is over.
The Soviets will have the edge in Armor mobility, but their Infantry should still be on foot, or in trucks.

I might have gave up to much in the negoiations preceeding this battle. Country training is off and both side have experience set to 81 so the normal German advantage in hit % and command points will not be there. But I did get to keep my Special ops squads and meat bombs. SOP for me in Nazi vs Soviet battles in the early years(with C&C ON) is to manuver the Soviets into command failture. The Soviets nornally don't have the command points for any complex manuvers, so if you can get them rushing back and forth, they will run out of points and get stuck. Hopefully someplace where they are harmless. Can't do that this time. I'm going to have to find and kill leaders to have any chance at avoiding an *** whoopin.

Troops: Col Mittelberg is a little thin on the ground. His Armor is out matched. Division managed to cut loose some assets for him in the way of Arty support, but basicly this looks like a pretty hopeless mission.

Terrain: 100x240 random map. Snow(december in Russia doesn't get beach bunnies and tropical breezes). Standard 5 cluster v-hexes, with the center cluters at 49,179 51,117 52,63. Woods in the north eastern corner and along the Southern edge. Center e to w is rolling level 1 hills and flat mixed. Unfortunatly visability range is 18, so I can't play the guess which hill has the 88 that is poking holes in you at 40 hexes game. Start lines are set up with the Soviets almost on the North cluster, and equal run to the center and southern clusters. No road net to speak of, A hard road N-S down the center of the map. To close to where the front line will be to help much with lateral movement. A RR E-W in the Center of the map. They cross just West of a level 2 hill mass centered about 48,104. This is inside my set up zone. It might be an advantage, if I can figure out how to make it one.

Conclusion: I expect I'm about to get my head handed to me. Victor has all the advantages here. I think he is to experienced to make a mistake big enough for me to take advantage of. So I am going to play to avoid losing. In Soccer terms, I'm gonna play defense as much as possible, and hope to get a free kick in the closing seconds. By playing for the Tie, I might be able to create an opportunity to go for the win. I did my set up and starting mission objectives with that in mind. I won't get into that here since this is a situation where suprise is my only weapon.
T.

Attachment (1)

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
– The Cairo daily Akhbar el Yom, Oct. 12, 1963.
[IMG]http
Post #: 1
- 12/26/2002 8:17:15 PM   
vahauser

Colonel Budeny wipes the frost from the lenses of his binoculars and looks to the western horizon. No sign of the Germans he knows must be there. Only a vast white expanse.

He rode with Zhukov 20 years ago during the Civil War and fought alongside him at Khalkin Gol in 1939. His Siberians helped crack the Mannerheim line in 1940. And now he is fighting with his old friend Marshal Zhukov once again. His Siberians are fresh and rested. They are also one of the last forces of veteran troops remaining in the battered Soviet Army at the very gates of Moscow. That is why Zhukov has asked him to personally lead them against the invaders. The sun is rising and will be in the eyes of the Germans. Now is a good time for battle...

His veteran Siberians endure the German pre-emptive bombardment and then are on the move!

(in reply to Tomanbeg)
Post #: 2
Slaughter - 12/26/2002 10:09:57 PM   
Tomanbeg

Col Mittleberg doesn't like this. Sheiss, this is going to be bad he thinks. A first shot hit and kill From a moving tank on a moving halftrack at 900 meters! 'Jeasus Christ must be the gunner in that KV' he thinks. Then he reconsiders, 'JC couldn't make that shot, It must be the devil hisself.' And from the looks of it his carefully calculate prep fire didn't do much good.

I'm about to take a serious *** whoopin. I'm really desperate to play with C&C on. Ever since Sean abandoned me for MBT, I haven't had a good player to play C&C against. But I have only myself to blame for accepting the game conditions.
T.

Attachment (1)

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
[IMG]http

(in reply to Tomanbeg)
Post #: 3
Like SP2 - 12/27/2002 11:14:24 AM   
Tomanbeg

Hi Victor,
This reminds me of when I played as the Chinese vs the Americans in SP2. It was set in 92 or so and the vis range was single digits. I surrendered after the 3rd turn, IIRC. You got another 1 shot kill from almost a click. It is not a good day to be a german scout.
T.

Attachment (1)

[IMG]http

(in reply to Tomanbeg)
Post #: 4
Back to life - 1/4/2003 2:55:55 AM   
Tomanbeg

I'm slowly clawing my way out of my Civ III induced stupor. I didn't figure out any way to win this game while I was under. I pushed some Infantry up toward the southern most flag set. Managed to kill an SMG squad, and put the fear of krauts into a whole bunch of cavalry units. They were headed East, the last I saw them. I saw something else strange. There was a asian looking guy beating on the gun mantlet of a T-34. guess maybe a hydraylic line burst from the cold. That means the breach of his 76 is stuck open. Might be a chance to bag a T-34. I can penetrate at a range of 1 hex, and with a broken gun, I might be able to get that close.
T.

Attachment (1)

[IMG]http

(in reply to Tomanbeg)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Vahauser vs Tomanbeg C&C Special Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI