Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

background sounds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> background sounds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
background sounds - 2/6/2001 4:00:00 AM   
clipper69

hi all, my question is for vets : do you think that background sound of SPWaW looks like reality ? some arty sounds are missing, no ? same for destruction of tanks : it looks like, for me, a train braking as entering in a railway station !!!

Post #: 1
- 2/6/2001 5:23:00 AM   
Bing

quote:

Originally posted by clipper69: hi all, my question is for vets : do you think that background sound of SPWaW looks like reality ? some arty sounds are missing, no ? same for destruction of tanks : it looks like, for me, a train braking as entering in a railway station !!! ----------- This is pretty much a personal preference thing, as I see it - correction: as I hear it! At first, I felt the same way about the battlefield sounds. Once I adjusted to it, they sort of merged into the background, though I always know they are there. I like'em the way they are now! As to the tank destroyed sound file: I especially like the bingity-bang-bong at the end of it, sort of puts a cap on a successful shot from my tanker. While we are on the subject: I had problems with certain sound files - they were breaking up, first getting mushy, then taking all the sound with them. After installing Cacheman and following instructions, I haven't had any problems at all with the sound. Cacheman is freeware, too! BLing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 2
- 2/6/2001 5:11:00 PM   
Peregrine Falcon

quote:

Originally posted by clipper69: hi all, my question is for vets : do you think that background sound of SPWaW looks like reality ? some arty sounds are missing, no ? same for destruction of tanks : it looks like, for me, a train braking as entering in a railway station !!!
Good sounds are sometimes very hard to find. I think artillery sounds are mostly ok, but some of the MG-sounds are little stupid (like some russian ones) Also quality HEAVY machine gun sounds (like .50 BMG) are very rare. There are some sites that sell good sounds effects (like .50BMG), but they cost several dollars per piece. Concerning sounds when tank/vehicle is destroyed...well they are from Saving Private Ryan (like many other sounds as well) and they are not all that good. I have replaced most of these sounds however, so if you want better sounds - just Email me and I will send them to you. (around 500kb, zipped)

--Peregrine Falcon--

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 3
- 2/8/2001 1:54:00 PM   
USMCGrunt

One sound I find particularly interesting occurs with Finnish troops. The sound (651 I think) sounds like someone rummaging in the silverware drawer or dropping a spoon in the garbage disposal while simultaneously stepping on a duck. Check it for yourself. ------------------ USMCGrunt -When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.

USMCGrunt Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?" But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll! -Rudyard Kipling-

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 4
- 2/8/2001 2:36:00 PM   
Elvis

As far as the background sounds approaching reality, I don't think that would be possible (or even desirable). The "reality" of war is that it is LOUD My limited combat experience (Kuwait, Somalia) has drummed that into my head more than anything. A fire team or squad engaging a target is loud enough to make it hard to think straight; I'd hate to have to multiply that by 100 and try to have my soundcard reproduce it... ------------------ People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 5
- 2/8/2001 6:10:00 PM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Elvis: The "reality" of war is that it is LOUD.. A fire team or squad engaging a target is loud enough to make it hard to think straight; I'd hate to have to multiply that by 100 and try to have my soundcard reproduce it...
No problem with this - get yourself a decent amplifier (lots good ones out there.. or build one yourself.. ask me for details if you're interested) and the right speakers - I would recommend: http://jblpro.com/pages/recording/4400.htm#4425 Yeap, I do have them at home !! Not 100% original, but loud enough to have flies falling from the wall Arralen [This message has been edited by Arralen (edited February 08, 2001).]

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 6
- 2/8/2001 8:51:00 PM   
Charles22

Back when I got my current Pentium III, over a year ago, I had included a speaker system with a subwoofer. It was very reasonably priced. Put a subwoofer on your set and the sounds take on a completely different meaning; it's a great investment. Generally, over time, I prefer to listen to the game on something of a conversational level (easy enough to hear, unless you're eating chips, and not too loud). Recently, however I decided to crank the volume up to perhaps twice the comfortable level for me and you wouldn't believe how realistic it got all of the sudden. What's a real gas, is if you connect that sort of setup to EAW. Man, you get in an ME109 for thirty minutes, at the higher sound level, and exit the game and get up, you literally feel as though you've been in a plane, because your feet have been feeling vibrations of the bass from the subwoofer that was making a great deal of sound depth for the engine.

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 7
- 2/9/2001 12:34:00 AM   
Elvis

My point was that there is no way to accurately reproduce the "real" sounds of war. It is something that a sound system, no matter how expensive, cannot do. ------------------ People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 8
- 2/9/2001 6:43:00 PM   
ruxius

I would add that no one has pointed that maybe should be some differences between the sounds of a burning Tiger and the destruction of a truck or a kettengrad or a strongpoint or even more an ammo depot...We are used to expect different sounds from weapons while they are firing..but things are too much simplified on the other side of 'fire-communication channel'...maybe this could be a line to be improved..

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 9
- 2/11/2001 9:39:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

quote:

Originally posted by USMCGrunt: One sound I find particularly interesting occurs with Finnish troops. The sound (651 I think) sounds like someone rummaging in the silverware drawer or dropping a spoon in the garbage disposal while simultaneously stepping on a duck. Check it for yourself.
I about laughed myself into a state of asphyxiation when I read this post. Just what in the hell is firing or taking place when this is heard?! ------------------ Greg. 37 mill AA... can suddenly ruin your day.

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 10
- 2/11/2001 8:30:00 PM   
Peregrine Falcon

quote:

Originally posted by Greg McCarty: I about laughed myself into a state of asphyxiation when I read this post. Just what in the hell is firing or taking place when this is heard?!
Well - That is weird sound indeed. But how about this "657.wav"? Indiana Jones & LMG crossbreed?? (sorry Matrix, but this really sounds strange)

--Peregrine Falcon--

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 11
- 2/11/2001 8:40:00 PM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by Greg McCarty: I about laughed myself into a state of asphyxiation when I read this post. Just what in the hell is firing or taking place when this is heard?!
Sounds like MG or subMG and a finnish soldier yelling "punta" to me :-)

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 12
- 2/11/2001 8:42:00 PM   
Alby

I think the matrix guys have done an excellent job with these sounds! True I have modified some, the arty and Tank gun sounds, and that 50 cal sound...But compare these sounds to say any of the other sp games...In fact I replaced damn near evry sound in my sp3online game with spwaw sounds. These sounds are fantastic IMHO.. Alby [This message has been edited by Alby (edited February 11, 2001).]

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 13
- 2/11/2001 9:23:00 PM   
Peregrine Falcon

quote:

Originally posted by Alby: I think the matrix guys have done an excellent job with these sounds! True I have modified some, the arty and Tank gun sounds, and that 50 cal sound...But compare these sounds to say any of the other sp games...In fact I replaced damn near evry sound in my sp3online game with spwaw sounds. These sounds are fantastic IMHO.. Alby [This message has been edited by Alby (edited February 11, 2001).]
Mostly all sounds are excellent. But there are some sounds that could be better. (but that is the case with all aspects of every game there is!) I dont know if only one person at Matrix did all these sfx. After all, its huge undertaking. There is hundreds of sounds and literally huge amounts of work with those. But as I have stated before. Good (quality) sources are hard to come by......usually.

--Peregrine Falcon--

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 14
- 2/12/2001 2:13:00 AM   
Infanterie

quote:

Originally posted by Alby: Originally posted by Greg McCarty: I about laughed myself into a state of asphyxiation when I read this post. Just what in the hell is firing or taking place when this is heard?! Sounds like MG or subMG and a finnish soldier yelling "punta" to me :-)
Well, lads, obviously you're not familiar to Suomi-SMG? Sounds pretty much what its supposed to, although I can't be 100% certain since I didn't have a chance to try one out while I was doing my service. If you're interested, here's a quite good link providing history & information about the weapon in question: http://www.guns.connect.fi/gow/suomi1.html Oh, and that "punta" is actually "Tulta!", "Fire!" in english. [This message has been edited by Infanterie (edited February 11, 2001).]

"The bravery of being out of range..."

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 15
- 2/12/2001 2:18:00 AM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by Infanterie: Well, lads, obviously you're not familiar to Suomi-SMG? Sounds pretty much what its supposed to, although I can't be 100% certain since I didn't have a chance to try one out while I was doing my service. If you're interested, here's a quite good link providing history & information about the weapon in question: http://www.guns.connect.fi/gow/suomi1.html Oh, and that "punta" is actually "Tulta!", "Fire!" in english.
cool deal, knew it was something like that Alby

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 16
- 2/17/2001 12:15:00 PM   
Greg McCarty

You know, the thing I was laughing about was USMCGrunt's discription involving the "silverware drawer" and the "duck." Actually, I'll bet the item he is describing is the Russian squad LMG. I rather like this sound file. Based on what limited experience I have with small arms, the "duck" sound is probably slugs striking a firm, but not rigid substance, such as wood or packed earth. ------------------ Greg. 37 mill AA... can suddenly ruin your day.

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 17
- 2/17/2001 8:26:00 PM   
skukko

Hello This might be off topic, but as this is accurary talking, I thought some of you could be interested: I started to use Nashorns at 43 Eastern Front, and there ain't nothing that can make me to change them to Elefants or other that kind of heavy TD. I started to look support for my Tiger company with Stug- G:s which did perform well, but something missed, and I moved to test Pz-IVh:s, good also, but too vulnerable. Then I moved on and changed Tigers order of battle to more sneaking and longrange sniping and have lost just few of them since. And for this Nashorn really fits in. Their job is to keep enemy armor manouvering by guarding roads and plains. In this way they secure that while Tiger hunts and moves towards known enemy formation, it can do it in quite safe. Offcourse there has to be infantry with spotting AT:s and other hard to spot infantry elements. mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 18
- 2/17/2001 8:27:00 PM   
skukko

oops wrong thread sorry mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 19
- 2/17/2001 11:41:00 PM   
BruceAZ

I can tell you that some of the sounds are very relistic. This I know from first hand experience while others I can only guess. Either way, I think they are very good and make the game very enjoyable. I am sure some can be improved and I look forward to hearing them. Bruce Semper Fi ------------------ "The most important element in war is man. And there are no tougher men than my China Marines." Major Gen. Archer 'Archy' Vandegrift, 1st Marine Division

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 20
- 2/19/2001 2:03:00 PM   
frank1970

Living near a very big NATO training area, I know the sound of a lot of modern weapons. I found one real big mistake in all the sounds of your bigger weapons: You created the impact or the shot but you hear of course both of them. It is like this: Bang (artillery/tank shot), time goes by, Bang (shell hit something and exploded). You can hear the shooting and the explosion noise a very long distance (the explosion about 30km, the shot about 10km, depending of the wind situation, the leaves of trees, etc pp.) So all your sounds sound only "half" for me . Think about it.

If you like what I said love me,if you dislike what I say ignore me!

"Extra Bavaria non est vita! Et sic est vita non est ita!"

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 21
- 2/20/2001 1:24:00 AM   
waynef

Try playing the game wearing headphones! I have Altec Lansing speakers with bass. Sounds great when you crank up the headphones late at night so noone can hear you!

"At My Signal...Unleash Hell" Thanks, Wayne

(in reply to clipper69)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> background sounds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI