Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Roads?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Roads? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Roads? - 1/7/2013 3:23:34 PM   
Gallo Rojo

Cheers,
I'm new to WITE and after have tried my first "road to..." scenarios there is something that suddenly pop up in my mind: "where are the roads?"
The game includes and nicely models railroad for unit's strategic movement and supply network, but controlling main roads was key issue both for fast advances and exploitation after breaks were open in the front-lines. So where are the roads and why are they missing in the game?

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end
Post #: 1
RE: Roads? - 1/7/2013 4:04:13 PM   
elmo3

They are not missing. It was a design decision to leave them out. I'm sure the Germans asked the same question when they invaded: "Where are the roads?!".

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 2
RE: Roads? - 1/7/2013 6:20:21 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

The scale of HEXes is too big for roads to be explicitly shown... the roads are approximated in terrain type...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Gallo Rojo)
Post #: 3
RE: Roads? - 1/14/2013 9:47:41 AM   
Mehring

This is an issue I raised and argued at considerable length. Yes, it is an inexcusable omission. Those who defend a no roads map have a terribly narrow conception of what a road is, and remain unable to expalin why, for all their alleged non-existance or, absolutely agreed inadequacy, the Germans followed Russian roads at almost every turn.

Complimenting the cliche "the Russians didn't have roads" is the cliche "the Russian landscape is devoid of terrain features and armies needn't follow roads." Both are incorrect. Fundamental to an adequate understanding of roads is their uncanny habit of allowing traverse of abrupt elevation changes including, but not limited to, water obstacles and generally following a delineated path of ground traversable by wheeled vehicles. They also go from one destination to another.

To change the terrain feature of a hex to show the existance of a road would completely overstate the tactical impact of their presence. Not to represent them at all would be imbalanced in the opposite direction. Map scale is not an excuse for failing to depict roads either. You can abstract the presence of the road net for logistical purposes, where their absence is most keenly felt, by including a road net overlay which alters the hex's supply throughput capacity.

In general, WitE currently pays inadequate attention to logistics. In passing, I disagree that the rail net is adequately represented. Supply throughput is not modelled at all and the strategic value of double as opposed to single track lines is ignored. Don't start me on port capacities.

On a brighter note, it does appear that many if not all these issues are being addressed in WitW and an all Europe map is in the works. Though we may not end up with a visual representation of roads at any level, (I'm a lowly critic and not 'in' on game design), the vastly improved weather system (another of my pet peeves in WitE) depicted on 2 by 3 website alludes to a road netwwork. I'm intrigued.

“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 4
RE: Roads? - 1/15/2013 12:56:48 PM   
jaw

I think you missed Leo's point above. The reason roads aren't shown on the map is that at this scale there are roads in every hex on the map. There was no place in the Soviet Union covering approximately 100 square miles where a road of some sort did not exist. The movement point costs of the terrain simulate the relative density of the road network.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 5
RE: Roads? - 1/15/2013 3:08:09 PM   
Mehring

There was a loooooooooong discussion about this. The map doesn't assume roads in every WitE hex so much as assume their absence. Neither does it differentiate between the relative road density and quality of the west vs scarcity and poor quality of the east.

It was frequently stated, as above, that roads are represented by changing terrain type. So, if the Moscow-Smolensk highway (a road generally considered of aproximately European quality) runs through a hex that would otherwise be considered wood, that hex becomes clear. That's my understanding anyway. This gives a tactical value to the road that it shouldn't have, in my view. If the same principle were applied to western Europe of the time, virtually the whole map is going to be clear hexes.

The point I've always argued is that though sparse and bad, there were Russian equivalents to roads that served some of a road's universal function, primarily in crossing obstacles for and accelerating in all but the worst weather conditions, wheeled transport. They would not be considered present in every hex though.

I would accept that a ten mile hex may be too large a scale to represent pictorially, all roads that might deserve represntation. In the west, that would make the map a mess. That doesn't mean that they can't be represented though. The issue is to differentiate tactical from logistical use and represent roads in such a way that compliments a new and overdue representation of logistics. It has been shown that the absence of logistical representation leads to all number of historically impossible situations, such as ridiculous unit concentrations. Even old War in Europe had major and minor ports. We just have ports.

I advocate a new map layer which models maximum supply throughput and infrastructure deterioration through use, in every hex. Logistics is where roads really come in to the game, or should do. All those road construction battalions that are currently used to repair rail lines will then be put to their proper use, repairing, maintaining and building roads. That's what they did historically, because that's what the armies needed.

Players would then have to think carefully about how many divisions they sent to an area, and how they would be supplied. Advances would then tend to follow routes that could be supplied. Stockpiles would need revisiting.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 6
RE: Roads? - 1/15/2013 4:59:53 PM   
elmo3

No doubt logistics will be getting a lot of attention in the upcoming games including WitE 2. But there are not going to be major changes for WitE as has been stated many times already.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 7
RE: Roads? - 1/15/2013 6:22:03 PM   
Mehring

Yup. I'm resigned to that and waiting for the new games.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Roads? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI