Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Taking Chungking - Help needed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Taking Chungking - Help needed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Taking Chungking - Help needed - 1/12/2013 9:14:08 AM   
turkey

My (stock) PBEM has reached End Feb 43 playing as Japanese. I own all of China except Chungking, which I am besieging. My opponent has 3400 AV and in 30 days another 700 or so AV will arrive when the recently deceased Chengtu garrison is reborn. I have plenty of AV and supply, however launched a trial deliberate attack with and armoured unit last turn and was surprised to see the adjusted AV for the Chungking garrison go from 3400 to 30,000 (lvl 9 forts + urban terrain). How can I overcome this sort of defence? I doubt I can get positive adjusted odds even if I put the entire China Expeditionary army into Chungking. What would more experienced players suggest as best course of action?

Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.
George S. Patton
Post #: 1
RE: Taking Chungking - Help needed - 1/12/2013 10:38:52 AM   
tocaff

Artillery bombardments and tons of bombs over a long period of time will deny the Chinese supplies, lower the LCUs' effectiveness and then bloody assaults. The use of armor will help so bring them in for the assaults. The biggest problem is that you will never 0 the supplies and 9 forts in an urban hex are extremely tough. Any units lost will regenerate for the Chinese and that will cause additional headaches. It's not impossible, just darned difficult.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to turkey)
Post #: 2
RE: Taking Chungking - Help needed - 2/22/2013 12:53:47 PM   
turkey

Thanks for the advice tocaff. Plan B is to only contain the Chinese garrison and take the bulk of my army elsewhere to do something useful. If I take this route does the x 4 urban terrain bonus work for Japanese troops in Chungking hex if and when the Chinese counterattack?

Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.
George S. Patton

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 3
RE: Taking Chungking - Help needed - 2/22/2013 11:07:40 PM   
tocaff

The bonus for an urban hex is for the defender who holds the city. Unfortunately for you your Japanese troops are considered outside of the city.

Beware that though the Chinese move slowly and their supply situation is awful that they will attack your forces if you draw down the strength to much.

Train new pilots up with constant bombing raids and fighters strafing.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to turkey)
Post #: 4
RE: Taking Chungking - Help needed - 2/23/2013 7:28:59 PM   
kmitahj

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff
The bonus for an urban hex is for the defender who holds the city. Unfortunately for you your Japanese troops are considered outside of the city.

Nop. The urban hex (as any terrain hex) bonus apply to any side which happens to be on defence. In general bases at urban hexes are difficult to conquer but rather easy to keep under siege with limited forces.
Defending Chinese - as base owners - will of course benefit from additional bonus from base forts on top of 4x urban hex bonus.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 5
RE: Taking Chungking - Help needed - 3/23/2013 5:37:37 AM   
engineer

Next time think about Chungking as a piece within a larger campaign. The logical thing to do for the KMT is to fort up but the Japanese player should try to use maneuver to split up the Chinese army and not compress the Chinese into a Sinic Minas Tirith. For example, masking the 700 AV in Chengtu with one division and sending the rest of your besieging force to join the army outside Chungking. That would move the siege of Chungking along that much more quickly and after kicking the 3500 AV force in Chungking, Chengtu would have just been mopping up.

Different question: After capturing Chungking has anyone had a problem with "phantom corps" of KMT that don't show on the map, but if you launch a bombardment attack, it executes against something (seemingly all the corps in queue to re-enter the game at Chungking?

(in reply to kmitahj)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Taking Chungking - Help needed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI