Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Operation Hammer of Thor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Hammer of Thor Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/6/2013 4:23:49 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: koniu

Docup and I have that HR about night bombing missions

Max 2 attacks in single hex per week and 4 attack in week after 9/43

This is limiting enough night bombings right now to lvl where allies are not able to move his bombing raid to night only, but also that HR is not perfect. After last two days of bombing Mandalay Docup will not be able to bomb at night for next 5 days reliving me from night CAP duty in that base and i can focus only on day phase

I am looking for something more balanced giving some king flexibility to time and numbers of raids. I am not want to block bombings but something that will not make them so effective

In last two days i lost 40 fighters and Mandalay AF is 30/30 damage. I can live with that for short time but few more days like that and AF will be closed without single plane flying at day. I will accept that if night figters or Flak can crate seroius danger to enemy bombers. Right now allies can bomb without any danger to own planes. Also my fighter groups have now morale ~60 with is not good for me.

Any idea about it. Maybe some kind HR change or modification. Something that allow Docup to bomb every time he want but also with limitation to effectiveness. Maybe limiting numbers of planes/air grup that can fly in single night or altitude limit??

What version are you using? In my current PBEM game I found Micheal M's fix "25/11/12: 1120c - Tweaked Land based flak influenced by device's 'accuracy' value" -- even for the IJ flak units to be inhibting of night raids. The Allies have to either take more damage or increase altitude .. the same although goes for IJ night raids. Anyway, as an AFB I found that either I cut back on my nights raids or experience many more operational losses.

I am personally more partial to decision matrixes like this rather than home rules that take the decision away.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 991
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/6/2013 5:21:41 PM   
koniu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

Docup and I have that HR about night bombing missions

Max 2 attacks in single hex per week and 4 attack in week after 9/43

This is limiting enough night bombings right now to lvl where allies are not able to move his bombing raid to night only, but also that HR is not perfect. After last two days of bombing Mandalay Docup will not be able to bomb at night for next 5 days reliving me from night CAP duty in that base and i can focus only on day phase

I am looking for something more balanced giving some king flexibility to time and numbers of raids. I am not want to block bombings but something that will not make them so effective

In last two days i lost 40 fighters and Mandalay AF is 30/30 damage. I can live with that for short time but few more days like that and AF will be closed without single plane flying at day. I will accept that if night figters or Flak can crate seroius danger to enemy bombers. Right now allies can bomb without any danger to own planes. Also my fighter groups have now morale ~60 with is not good for me.

Any idea about it. Maybe some kind HR change or modification. Something that allow Docup to bomb every time he want but also with limitation to effectiveness. Maybe limiting numbers of planes/air grup that can fly in single night or altitude limit??

What version are you using? In my current PBEM game I found Micheal M's fix "25/11/12: 1120c - Tweaked Land based flak influenced by device's 'accuracy' value" -- even for the IJ flak units to be inhibting of night raids. The Allies have to either take more damage or increase altitude .. the same although goes for IJ night raids. Anyway, as an AFB I found that either I cut back on my nights raids or experience many more operational losses.

I am personally more partial to decision matrixes like this rather than home rules that take the decision away.

We are playing 19h, but i already ask Docup to update to 22 version

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 992
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/6/2013 5:57:15 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

We are playing 19h, but i already ask Docup to update to 22 version

In my opinion you will witness a much different game .. I might suggest playing a few turns after the update and then think of home rules. I can say that my night bombing of Truk took a very different turn after the update [going from cleaning the atoll of fighters to losing 2 - 4 4E's due to flak/operational losses ... ] Truk is 88mm L 75 flak guns but the 37mm guns get a boost forcing the 4E's higher at a less effective altitude ..

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 993
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/7/2013 4:54:07 PM   
koniu

20 FEB 43

Burma
50 P-38 sweep Mandalay. Bloodbath.
14 Tojo and 12 A6M5 lost for only 3 P-38.

I need drink. I lost 120 planes in three days. Allies lost 12.

Docup move hist LCUs (50k) near Katha. They moving toward Mandalay.
Mandalay is fort 4.58. Low i know. But this is what you have when you capture Burma in June.
Troops are ready to defend. 2500 AV will fight.

I am 89% sure that Docup did not know how big forces i have in jungle 1 hex from Mandalay. 4ID and super Tank Div (800AV) created by one of bugs in beta patches and few smaller units and many arty.

I am moving all available bombers toward Burma. I want to have at lest 200 maybe 250

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 994
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/7/2013 6:55:46 PM   
obvert

It's tough to deal with the P-38s. Numbers are about the only answer at the point you're at in game. I'm surprised he got them to sweep 3 days in a row with their SR, but maybe it's multiple groups rotating.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 995
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/7/2013 8:53:35 PM   
koniu

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

It's tough to deal with the P-38s. Numbers are about the only answer at the point you're at in game. I'm surprised he got them to sweep 3 days in a row with their SR, but maybe it's multiple groups rotating.

It was first day of sweep. Today i lost 26 planes in air. Other planes where lost on ground during night and day bombing raids day and two days earlier.

I think today it was bad luck as he find most of planes scrambling to fight.
Last week he sweep Mandalay and he lost 12 P-38 and 12 F4U for 30 Tojo but that day i have on battle start 100 fighters in air and not only 30

Those are only planes. Only 4 pilots die today. But i cant losing 40 planes daily, at lest not right now.

I have still 350 fighters in Burma. 150 of them is combat ready with high morale.
100 I will send to safe AF to rest (morale below 50). 100 is with morale in middle 70 so they need to stay and fight.

I need to keep Mandalay open. I will abandon Magwe or Rangoon if needed

< Message edited by koniu -- 1/7/2013 8:58:17 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 996
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/11/2013 6:03:37 AM   
koniu

22 Feb 43

Sorry for lack of updates.

Salomon's

Liberators destroy 30 A6M and 12 G3M in Munda AF. I forgot to give CAP order to fighters.

Enemy CV fleet and probably invasion forces sailing toward Milne Bay. I hope it is Milne Bay. They are currently 6 hex SE of it. So tommarow they will arrive to base hex and next day they shoul unload. Base is lost but i want allies to pay for it big price.

KB sailing toward enemy, 48h until arrival in bomber range. It will be only a2a engagement. I am not planing sweeping Milne Bay with heavy SAG, maybe few DD. Way?. Because i have to small numbers of surface ships in area right now. Most of them is to far to arrive in 48h and fuel not allowing them to flank and only heavy SAG i have will protect KB.

Tomorrow KB will be 14 hex from Milne Bay. Also tomorrow i will have all LBA in place.
All fighter pilots of KB have XP at lest 70. 200 fighters and 350 bombers on decks.

LBA will have 120 fighters and 100 bombers.

LBA will not attack tomorrow i want them to attack in the same day with KB.

Plan is to jump with KB somwhere between Milne Bay and Woodlark. Destrou as much as we can and retreat north. With luck we can lot of damage. I do not expect that allies will have more that 500 planes in worst i will be 1:1 battle. But i have 200 A6M5 with best Jap pilots 150 of them is XP80+ against F4F-4. If i only manage to avoid enemy subs and most of my bomber will fly against enamy CV not invasion fleet.

From now i promise detailed reports every turn.

From next turn we will use new HR obout night bombing missions:
A) No more than one unit performing night bombing per theater per day.
B) from 4/44 no more that two units per theater per day
C) from 3/45 no more that three units per theater per day (allies only) japan still two

units limit is only for air2ground missions.

< Message edited by koniu -- 1/11/2013 6:58:35 AM >

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 997
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/11/2013 10:48:47 AM   
obvert

Another chance. Looks good. I hope you get a strike in. If his CVs are there, and in range your guys will not go for the invasion, only possibly any big SAGs with BBs. I hope you get a shot this time!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 998
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/11/2013 11:02:31 AM   
koniu

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Another chance. Looks good. I hope you get a strike in. If his CVs are there, and in range your guys will not go for the invasion, only possibly any big SAGs with BBs. I hope you get a shot this time!

I also hope for that.
I have best pilots in Empire in KB. They are fresh. Very fresh, 0 fatigue as they are on rest from week. Morale 99 for all groups. All planes are repaired and combat ready as they are not performing any ops from week. All pilots have major skill (air, naval bomb, torpedo) 70+, most of bomber pilots have naval search between 60-70 and i have CS with 20 FP to help raise DL of enemy.
Last turn i check and change commander for few KB units

On Woodwark i have two groups of FP they will fly night naval search to rise DL before dawn. In Rabaul and Shortlands i have almost 20 PA planes. Also 2E bombers will patrol from Rabaul and Shortlands.

7 Subs arledy patroling waters around MB

Biggest concern is fuel level(Akagi have lowest fuel lvl 57%, most of CV and BB on 70% DD are at 90%). I will switch home port to Woodwark to avoid unplaned refuel.
KB and SAG have fuel for one short jump on flak and to retreat to Truk after battle so no pursuit is planed.

AO TF with 70k fuel is 4 days from Truk so if i survive i will refuel just after battle

EDIT: I have low expectation about that battle. Sinking 3-4 enemy CV will be enough.

< Message edited by koniu -- 1/11/2013 11:18:41 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 999
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/11/2013 4:18:25 PM   
koniu

23 Feb 43

Burma
After last beta patch Japanese flak is working!!!!

Docup send medium bombers to bombard my troops south of Akyab from 2000ft

Morning Air attack on 1st Tank Division, at 55,46 , near Akyab

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 4,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Allied aircraft
Sea Hurricane Ib x 8
Beaufighter VIc x 2
Hurricane I Trop x 3
B-25C Mitchell x 23

Allied aircraft losses
B-25C Mitchell: 4 damaged
B-25C Mitchell: 1 destroyed by flak

and

Morning Air attack on 21st Division, at 55,46 , near Akyab

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 4,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter VIc x 22
Hurricane I Trop x 3
Wellington Ic x 26
B-25C Mitchell x 21

Allied aircraft losses
Wellington Ic: 8 damaged
Wellington Ic: 1 destroyed by flak
B-25C Mitchell: 4 damaged
B-25C Mitchell: 1 destroyed by flak

5 B-25C Mitchells and 3 Wellingtons Ic shot down by flak, nice.
Day earlier Docup send 3 Liberators at night to bombard Rabul at 10k. 2 damage one shot down and we talking about 75mm AA guns only.

Salomon's
Now bad news.
Enamy land in MB. 4k troops already manage to unload. He have tank still on ships so i hope they will slow him down with unloading and tomorrow. he still be in place. Invasion TF was not detected during serch phase but i know he is in hax becouse landing start after PM air phase

KB 100nm east of Rabaul undetected, but unlucky:

CV Hiyo collides with CA Atago at 108 , 116

CV Hiyo 4/13(7)/9(4)
CA Atago 1/18(11)/5(3)

Ships have small flood damage and are able to move 6 hex on flak. I am moving Atago from KB TF, Hiyo will stay with KB
CV Hiyo is now first at list to 4/43 refit together with Zuiho and Kaga

I am not changing plans we moving forward what ever will happen

Attachment (1)

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1000
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/12/2013 10:39:45 AM   
koniu

Docup forgot to attach save to email so i am still waiting for turn.

I have bad filling for next turn.
Biggest concern is fuel. In my tests KB TF in 50% of case (when i have fuel like current one) KB have refueled and not arriving to destination.

I am worried because if KB will refuel my SAG will be in danger

< Message edited by koniu -- 1/12/2013 10:59:09 AM >

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1001
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/12/2013 11:47:54 AM   
obvert

Fingers crossed. Look sot be interesting. Depends on whether he sniffs anything in the wind before the hunter can get in range to pounce.

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1002
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/12/2013 11:59:06 AM   
koniu

Damn You scare me to death.
I have email notification when someone i writing in AAR ind i was thinking that Ducup send turn when email arrive. Almost have heart attack.

I love that game. I never have so much stress and joy from game.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1003
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/12/2013 12:10:49 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Biggest concern is fuel. In my tests KB TF in 50% of case (when i have fuel like current one) KB have refueled and not arriving to destination.

coin flip .. not the best odds. But then historically the IJN went with far less on a number of occasions.

BANZAI!!!

Pax

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1004
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/12/2013 12:30:07 PM   
koniu

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

coin flip .. not the best odds. But then historically the IJN went with far less on a number of occasions.

BANZAI!!!

If KB will refuel and will be to far from MB 4 CAs will have bad day if enemy CV are going in to be in range on morning.

I am risking my precious CA but watching from other side I can also win big victory as i think there is no more that 3xCV and 4-5xCVE in enemy fleet so with good dice roll i can achieve something worth of risk.

This is war to win i have to risk and that is probably last chance before F6F arrival.

PS. Checking mail every 5 minutes, madness.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1005
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/12/2013 1:54:20 PM   
PaxMondo

Don't disagree, IJ has to take risks. 

BANZAI!!!

Pax

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1006
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/12/2013 1:57:24 PM   
koniu

I am going to open now bottle of whiskey.

We have CV clash.

Japan gain victory.
Pilots loses are high 160 pilots KIA or MIA and 250 planes lost. But not single Japanese ship was hit from air we score few nice TT and bomb hits to enemy CVs, CVEs, BBs and CAs

Where was Tokyo Rose. No word after battle but when i sunk CL near Rangoon i herd her.

I lost one DD from surface combat and 4 more have minor damage but that is all

KB still have 420 operational planes on deck becouse only half of bomber fly and enemy i heavily wounded

All CV have TT avaible

Details later i need drik, my hands still shaking

Banzai!!!

< Message edited by koniu -- 1/12/2013 1:58:17 PM >

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1007
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/12/2013 2:08:54 PM   
koniu

quote:

BANZAI!!!

Risk was worth of taking Pax

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1008
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/12/2013 2:22:19 PM   
obvert

quote:

I am going to open now bottle of whiskey.

We have CV clash.

Japan gain victory.
Pilots loses are high 160 pilots KIA or MIA and 250 planes lost. But not single Japanese ship was hit from air we score few nice TT and bomb hits to enemy CVs, CVEs, BBs and CAs

Where was Tokyo Rose. No word after battle but when i sunk CL near Rangoon i herd her.

I lost one DD from surface combat and 4 more have minor damage but that is all

KB still have 420 operational planes on deck becouse only half of bomber fly and enemy i heavily wounded

All CV have TT avaible

Details later i need drik, my hands still shaking

Banzai!!!

Very nice!!! That's what you needed after all of the almosts. Have a nice few shots of something strong and make some good clear choices for the next turn. Looking forward to the details.

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1009
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/12/2013 2:55:22 PM   
koniu

24 FEB 43 Night part

Battle of Milne Bay
Days start with series of unsuccessful sub attacks (only important ones)

ASW attack near Milne Bay at 101,134

Japanese Ships
SS I-123, hits 1

Allied Ships
BB Mississippi
xAP Tjisadane
xAP Noordam
xAP Khandalla
xAK Vera
xAK Trevaylor
DD Banckert

and

Sub attack near Milne Bay at 99,134

Japanese Ships
SS RO-33

Allied Ships
CV Enterprise
BB North Carolina
CA Chicago
CLAA Atlanta
DD Aaron Ward
DD Gwin
DD Walke
DD McCalla
DD Lardner
DD Lansdowne

and

Sub attack near Milne Bay at 99,134

Japanese Ships
SS I-122, hits 7

Allied Ships
CV Lexington
BB North Carolina
CA Chicago
CLAA Atlanta
DD Walke
DD McCalla
DD Lardner
DD Lansdowne

After dawn Japanese DDs attack ships in MB. They where intercepted by enemy SAGs

Day Time Surface Combat, near Milne Bay at 101,133, Range 29,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Harusame, Shell hits 3, heavy fires
DD Sanae, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Karii, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CA Chester, Shell hits 1
CA San Francisco
DD Benham
DD Fanning
DD Mahan, Shell hits 2
DD Downes

and

Day Time Surface Combat, near Milne Bay at 101,133, Range 17,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Natsushio, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Asashio
DD Oshio, Shell hits 8, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Yugiri, Shell hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
CL St. Louis, Shell hits 1
CL Nashville, Shell hits 1
DD Ralph Talbot, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Henley, Shell hits 1
DD Craven, Shell hits 10, heavy fires, heavy damage

DD Oshio, not survive and was self sunk by crew

And that is end of night part day in next post

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1010
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/12/2013 3:09:39 PM   
koniu

24 Feb 42
Situation on morning

Attachment (1)

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1011
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/12/2013 3:21:44 PM   
koniu

24 FEB 43 AM phase
I know that something will happen when Val's and Kate's star falling from sky during search phase. I counted 30 bombers lost that way.

Battle start from LBA attack on enemy CV TF. Perfect escort but to low bombers.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Milne Bay at 100,134

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 78 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 34
A6M5 Zero x 87
G4M1 Betty x 19

Allied aircraft
F4F-3A Wildcat x 11
F4F-3 Wildcat x 11
F4F-4 Wildcat x 110

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 2 destroyed
A6M5 Zero: 5 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 5 destroyed, 3 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
CV Enterprise
BB North Carolina

Few moment later LBA aatck enemy CVE south of enemy CV force

Morning Air attack on TF, near Milne Bay at 99,134

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 78 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 11
G4M1 Betty x 9

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 1 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 2 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
CVE Altamaha
CVE Nassau, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage

Few moment later 11 G3M3 try to attack enemy CVE but without escort they where all shot down

Enemy respond with small counterattack but not against KB but DD TF south of KB position. CAP shot down most of enemy planes

Morning Air attack on TF, near Deboyne Islands at 103,134

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 47

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 16
SBD-3 Dauntless x 25

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 5 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat: 1 destroyed by flak
SBD-3 Dauntless: 12 destroyed

Japanese Ships
DD Ayanami

And that how AM phase end

Little disappointing?

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1012
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/12/2013 3:34:00 PM   
koniu

24 FEB 43 PM phase

First attack again was made by LBA from Rabaul

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Milne Bay at 101,134

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 77 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 26 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 16
G3M3 Nell x 13

Allied aircraft
P-38E Lightning x 6
F4F-3A Wildcat x 17
F4F-3 Wildcat x 17
F4F-4 Wildcat x 136

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 3 destroyed
G3M3 Nell: 9 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses

and

Raid detected at 66 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 22 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 33
A6M5 Zero x 51
G4M1 Betty x 9

Allied aircraft
P-38E Lightning x 6
F4F-3A Wildcat x 17
F4F-3 Wildcat x 15
F4F-4 Wildcat x 132

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 1 destroyed
A6M5 Zero: 7 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses

They fight well but CAP was to strong

Finally KB was able to send bombers in air.
First wave go against enemy main CV force.

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 30 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 79
B5N2 Kate x 33
D3A1 Val x 45

Allied aircraft
P-38E Lightning x 4
F4F-3A Wildcat x 17
F4F-3 Wildcat x 14
F4F-4 Wildcat x 122

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 11 destroyed
B5N2 Kate: 3 destroyed, 10 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 5 destroyed by flak
D3A1 Val: 11 destroyed, 10 damaged
D3A1 Val: 4 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3A Wildcat: 1 destroyed
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat: 10 destroyed

Allied Ships
BB North Carolina, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1
CV Lexington, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
CV Enterprise, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 2

CV Yorktown

Second KB strike go against invasion forces in MB hex

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Milne Bay at 101,133

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 51 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 16
B5N2 Kate x 33
D3A1 Val x 43

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 11
F4F-4 Wildcat x 17

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 2 destroyed
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed, 4 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak
D3A1 Val: 1 destroyed, 7 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
BB Ramillies, Torpedo hits 2
DD Downes
DD Fanning
CL Nashville, Bomb hits 2, on fire
BB Royal Sovereign, Torpedo hits 2
CA San Francisco, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

DD Mahan
CA Chester, Bomb hits 1
DD Henley, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires

Some KB TB attack enemy cruiser escorting CVE TF

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Milne Bay at 99,134

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid detected at 25 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 15

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 3 destroyed, 1 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
CA Northampton
CA Portland, Torpedo hits 2

Ther was small counter attack on KB they not even get trough CAP

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1013
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/12/2013 3:40:47 PM   
koniu

Air and Pilot loses

Attachment (1)

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1014
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/12/2013 3:50:27 PM   
koniu

Pilot and air loses are high.
2,5 x bigger from allies.

Why?

I think Docup have on decks mostly fighters. We all know that they is no CAP that cant be penetrated and he pay high price resigning from offensive forces.

Big role in Battle play weather. On morning he hold bombers on decks in afternoot wheter redude number of Jap bombers fly. allso bombing accuracy is not good during Overcast

What we achieve:

CV Lexington, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
CV Enterprise, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 2
CVE Nassau, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage
BB North Carolina, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1
BB Ramillies, Torpedo hits 2
BB Royal Sovereign, Torpedo hits 2
CA San Francisco, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CA Chester, Bomb hits 1
CA Portland, Torpedo hits 2
CL Nashville, Bomb hits 2, on fire
2-3 DD heavy damaged

Japan Lost
DD Oshio
4 DD minor damage

KB still operational but fuel is extremely low. CV Kaga have only 800 tons
But KB still have 80% of combat power so i have decision to make. Falow enemy, return north or slit KB sending ships with low fuel home[

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by koniu -- 1/12/2013 4:02:29 PM >

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1015
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/12/2013 5:09:34 PM   
obvert

Wow! First of all, great work! Looks like he didn't sniff a thing. A lot of valuable ships there that were hit and Lexington at least looks to have a hard time tomorrow. Not seeing the 'heavy damage' message with the Big E I wonder what the status is there?

Beware surface TFs. Even DDs. I'd circle the wagons around the KB and make sure every surface ship you have available is either heading directly at the enemy or sitting in the hex with the KB ready to react. With the kind of proximity you have there if there are any other fast BBs you could have trouble, but even CA led SAGs or multiple DD TFs could cause you trouble, especially low on fuel.

If you throw Kaga's planes on another CV, or several, maybe she could slowly retreat, or her and any others that can't maneuver well. Changing the position of the KB, even slightly, could also hep reduce DL and get out of possible threat vectors.

All that said, it's still time to reaffirm this victory. Whatever your decisions, a good follow-up in some way will ensure you a lot of time to build up the defenses.

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1016
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/13/2013 11:08:34 AM   
koniu

Waiting for turn from Docup.

Plan for tomorrow.

DD TF(3xDD) fallowed by CA TF (Tone, Ashigara, Kumano + 3xDD) will move on full toward MB to engage enemy in hex if no enemy found they will change course south toward enemy CV TF and later back toward Woodwark. I hope they engage enemy in night combat and on morning they will be back close to KB

Two DD TF (each 4xDD) will move toward CV TF and enemy forces south of MB hoping for night engagement. I also hope they on morning return under wings of KB.

BB FT will stay with KB to defend it against enemy SAGs.

KB will move few hexes to avoid enemy SAG but on morning they should back in battle area. I hope to have few enemy ships still in range.
I have not split KB i have still 400+ planes in decks and forecast for tomorrow is good so with dose of luck maybe we will hit something.

AO TF is 3 days from Salomon's. KB should refuel in 3+-4 days and move toward Truk. I will send damaged ships to Japan for repairs and 4/43 refits. In 7 days CV Taiho will be build and he will join KB asap replacing hole after damaged CVs.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1017
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/13/2013 2:08:19 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

BANZAI!!!

Risk was worth of taking Pax

CONGRATS!!!!!!

Pax

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1018
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/13/2013 8:08:55 PM   
koniu

25 Feb 42
Not best day but we are still holding victory on our side.

Turn start with series of naval engagement. Unlucky my CA TF miss all enemy TFs on path. I think full speed used by both sides was key here.
Docup send toward KB position CA, CL and DD TFs. Two first moved trough KB position but lucky miss KB

I lost 5 destroyers today. 4 where those damage ones from first day last was lost when engaged against CL TF.
Our DD TF engage Fletcher DD TF and fight equal battle in day. that good score

Our subs have few shots on but only two important. 3 TT hits damaged CA San Francisco(two TT hits day earlier so i think he sunk)
and TT hit to heavily damaged DD Benham (definitely sunk)

On Morning KB was to far from main enemy fleet but still we hit few important ships.
LBA from Rabaul and KB bombers manage to damage CA Chester(probably sunk as damage where critical), CL Nashville and two enemy DD.
Also during naval and air battle some cargo ships where sunk but nothing important.

KB is now nort of Woodwark and will sail nortt tomorrow time to lick wounds and be rady to next battle.

All subs from MB waters are moving Toward Australia coast. They will patrol holes in reef where damaged CVs and BB can enter safe ports maybe we have some luck. I will falso enemy as long as passable. Docup will have to move them south and CV and BB can only be repaired in PH on WC.

Today both enemy CV one BB, three CA, CVE, and 4 DD are listed as sunk

And last thing. MB fall today to Allied hands

]Sub attack near Milne Bay at 99,134

Japanese Ships
SS I-123

Allied Ships
CA San Francisco, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage

---------------------------------------------

Submarine attack near Milne Bay at 100,134

Japanese Ships
SS RO-65

Allied Ships
CA San Francisco, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

SS RO-65 is sighted by CA San Francisco
SS RO-65 launches 6 torpedoes

Submarine attack near Milne Bay at 100,134

Japanese Ships
SS I-26

Allied Ships
DD Benham, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

Night Time Surface Combat, near Deboyne Islands at 102,135, Range 9,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Niizuki
DD Yugumo
DD Kazegumo
DD Takanami

Allied Ships
DD Isaac Sweers, Shell hits 10, heavy fires

Night Time Surface Combat, near Gasmata at 105,130, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Yugiri, Shell hits 12, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CL St. Louis
CL Nashville
DD Downes
DD Clark

Night Time Surface Combat, near Normanby Island at 102,133, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Asashio, Shell hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Karii, Shell hits 1, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CA Chester, Shell hits 1
DD Benham
DD Fanning
DD Mahan

Japanese Ships
DD Asashio, Shell hits 11, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CL St. Louis
CL Nashville, Shell hits 1
DD Downes
DD Clark

Japanese Ships
DD Natsushio
DD Harusame, Shell hits 16, and is sunk
DD Sanae, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CL St. Louis, Shell hits 1
CL Nashville
DD Downes
DD Clark

Morning Air attack on TF, near Milne Bay at 98,135

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid detected at 15 NM, estimated altitude 3,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 23
G4M1 Betty x 13

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AM Horsham, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
AM Kalgoorlie, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
AM Junee
AM Geelong

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Milne Bay at 100,136

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid detected at 31 NM, estimated altitude 5,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 21
B5N2 Kate x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 4 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
CL Nashville, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Milne Bay at 100,134

Raid detected at 79 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 29 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 47
D3A1 Val x 81

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 2 damaged
D3A1 Val: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
CA Chester, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DD Mahan, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Benham, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Milne Bay at 100,134

Raid detected at 43 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 18 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
DD Mahan, Torpedo hits 4, and is sunk

< Message edited by koniu -- 1/13/2013 8:13:40 PM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1019
RE: Operation Hammer of Thor - 1/14/2013 3:31:45 AM   
PaxMondo

Wow, some wild rolls you got.  81 Vals managed only 8 hits.  Oh well, you got'em.

Pax

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1020
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Hammer of Thor Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI