Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 1/10/2013 12:25:53 AM   
dawilko

Any further updates Erik?

(in reply to jalapen0)
Post #: 361
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 1/13/2013 5:28:06 PM   
PS Pita

Just wondering if I'll need to purchase DW Legends in order to install shadows or is it going to be stand alone. I have up to Shakturi.
And how much better does the former make DW as far as what it has to add to the game.

(in reply to dawilko)
Post #: 362
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 1/13/2013 6:41:13 PM   
martok

quote:

ORIGINAL: PS Pita

Just wondering if I'll need to purchase DW Legends in order to install shadows or is it going to be stand alone. I have up to Shakturi.

Erik stated (I think it was earlier in this thread) that Legends will be needed to install/play Shadows.

quote:

ORIGINAL: PS Pita

And how much better does the former make DW as far as what it has to add to the game.

Most folks here -- including myself -- will tell you they can't imagine playing DW anymore without both expansions (RotS and Legends). It really adds a lot to the game.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to PS Pita)
Post #: 363
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 1/13/2013 8:35:21 PM   
ehsumrell1

Martok is correct on both accounts!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 364
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 1/15/2013 3:07:56 AM   
tjhkkr

Is there now a 'Shadows' entrance into this Forum... I have not been able to find one, so I presume no...
But, I do miss things periodically.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 365
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 1/17/2013 8:46:09 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: dawilko

Any further updates Erik?

This...

(in reply to dawilko)
Post #: 366
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 1/18/2013 9:00:03 PM   
necaradan666

I'd go so far as to say I probably wouldn't have enjoyed playing DW if I was an early adopter and didn't buy the whole package for my first game, the expansions add many things that make the game more playable

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 367
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 1/18/2013 9:13:59 PM   
Bingeling

Original DW was an OK investment. I played enough at first to warrant a buy, and returned to play even more. Memories are hazy, and I guess patches improved things. I also arrived a few months after release.

ROTS was a good improvement. Things like the tech tree are basic improvements. It is also hard to remember what vanilla was like after playing ROTS quite a lot.

Legends are also good, but contains a few things I rather be without (characters and wonders). Rail guns are also not properly integrated in the game, see recent complaint about fleeing on light armor damage. On the character front, redoing the intelligence agents was an improvement, though. 4-5 deep cover agents did not increase the challenge back in ROTS.

One "silent" thing I think have increased since ROTS is stability. I still get the odd crash, but not at the same frequency. All the little "fixed a crash..." adds up.

(in reply to necaradan666)
Post #: 368
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 1/19/2013 2:29:59 AM   
necaradan666

I got to that opinion by looking at the feature list after a couple games to see what came in each expansion, when I realised all my favourite features and story bits would be gone, when the characters and interface updates would not have been there I wonder what would have been left hah

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 369
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 1/20/2013 9:28:04 AM   
Vedric

Will there be a package deal including the game and all expansions available?

(in reply to necaradan666)
Post #: 370
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 1/21/2013 2:10:52 AM   
AtlantisRisen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vedric

Will there be a package deal including the game and all expansions available?

It was just on sale until January 13th...I think you missed it.

(in reply to Vedric)
Post #: 371
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 1/22/2013 1:40:08 PM   
Cruis.In

i hope they fix the troop disbandment, disbanding hundreds of troops accross many worlds one at a time is a pain.

(in reply to AtlantisRisen)
Post #: 372
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 1/24/2013 9:38:02 PM   
tjhkkr

I do not know if you would want to reveal this?

Any new ships or images (like landing ships) for this new module?

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 373
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 1/26/2013 10:49:17 PM   
jpwrunyan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruis.In

i hope they fix the troop disbandment, disbanding hundreds of troops accross many worlds one at a time is a pain.

Yes.

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 374
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 1/31/2013 4:30:12 PM   
Webbco

One thing I've wanted to see since DW was released is the freedom to discover star systems at my own leisure, a la Imperium Galactica 2. In DW, all stars are visible on the star map at the beginning of a game. I suppose this makes sense due to the level of technology available from the start.

My question is whether star systems are discovered "manually" using spacecraft in Shadows or will the method of exploration be the same as before?

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 375
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 1/31/2013 5:15:50 PM   
Antiscamp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

My question is whether star systems are discovered "manually" using spacecraft in Shadows or will the method of exploration be the same as before?

Now that would actually be VERY cool having to discover all sorts of telescope technology and send out unmanned probes and things like that. As I understand it, Shadows is going to take back the starting point of the game further as well and you begin with only one system and are bound to it at the start, something that intrigues me very much.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 376
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 1/31/2013 11:20:28 PM   
Spacecadet

quote:

One thing I've wanted to see since DW was released is the freedom to discover star systems at my own leisure, a la Imperium Galactica 2. In DW, all stars are visible on the star map at the beginning of a game. I suppose this makes sense due to the level of technology available from the start.

Not sure I understand this one.

You go out on a clear night and look up and you can see the Stars, no special Tech needed . . .

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 377
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 1/31/2013 11:30:57 PM   
Wolfe1759

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

quote:

You go out on a clear night and look up and you can see the Stars, no special Tech needed . . .

You are right but there is something fun about the eXploration part of a 4X when you have "fog" obscuring what you can see and particularly where things are until you send someone or something out to find out what is "around the corner".

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 378
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/1/2013 3:35:54 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

Would be kind of neat... but WOW, you would need 3 times the number of scouts... which would be cool...

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 379
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/1/2013 4:08:07 AM   
RockKahn

Imagine your scientists trying to explain to the general population that they can't see any stars, because they haven't been discovered yet.

Citizen: "I don't remember seeing that star before."
Scientist: "We just discovered it yesterday."

I don't write Universal Law. I just live by it.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 380
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/1/2013 8:28:27 AM   
Webbco

I know, it doesnt make a lot of sense in some ways but it would make exploration a lot more fun in my opinion...and its definitely my favourite X of the 4X genre when done well. At the moment, exploration in DW becomes very repetative quite early on in games and I think this would help with that tremendously.

(in reply to RockKahn)
Post #: 381
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/1/2013 8:36:24 AM   
unclean

I'm just wondering how the game's going to handle having you stuck in one system without things getting really boring.

Hopefully you get attacked by some FTL pirates right off or something.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 382
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/1/2013 9:03:55 AM   
Sirian

Somewhere I read you can add Assault Pod components to your ships that can capture enemy ships, this would be interesting.

(in reply to unclean)
Post #: 383
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/1/2013 1:27:22 PM   
Antiscamp

quote:

ORIGINAL: unclean

I'm just wondering how the game's going to handle having you stuck in one system without things getting really boring.

Hopefully you get attacked by some FTL pirates right off or something.

I'm really excited to see what they've come up with in this regard. To me, starting with only one system and being bound to it is really an awesome idea with real good potential. Along with the reformed ground battles, this is the feature I look forward to the most.

(in reply to unclean)
Post #: 384
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/1/2013 2:17:21 PM   
Webbco

If Shadows is supposed to come out Q1, it would be great to have a bit of an update about now....

(in reply to Antiscamp)
Post #: 385
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/1/2013 2:37:04 PM   
Spacecadet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

quote:

You are right but there is something fun about the eXploration part of a 4X when you have "fog" obscuring what you can see and particularly where things are until you send someone or something out to find out what is "around the corner".

Well you pretty much have that now since you don't know what's in a Star system (if anything) until you send an Explorer to check it out.

Also, once you leave the system, you don't know what's going on it (someone else exploring it, Pirates, Mines being built, etc.).

Granted, you don't have a "Blacked" out area on your screen like many games, but I think the pre & post explored system "Fog" is probably handled as well as can be for this type game.

I understand what you're saying, I just don't know that there's anything to do about it.

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 386
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/2/2013 4:23:19 AM   
Bison36

The game desperately needs a scalable UI. Something along the lines of a slider bar or a drop down and pick 125%, 150%, 200% increase to UI scale would be most excellent. I'm sure it's a programming nightmare, but it would increase the game's playablitiy and enjoyment immensely by making the text and icons easier to read and frankly see.

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 387
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/3/2013 6:40:20 PM   
Hawawaa

We needs it master. Tells us, the pain is too much...

Can't wait to preorder.

(in reply to Bison36)
Post #: 388
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/5/2013 4:57:05 PM   
AminMaalouf

I am looking forward the release of Shadows and the great mods that will follow.

< Message edited by AminMaalouf -- 2/5/2013 5:15:11 PM >

(in reply to Hawawaa)
Post #: 389
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/12/2013 5:39:16 AM   
HectorOfTroy

Soon?

(in reply to AminMaalouf)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI