Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: [REL 0.9.2] Star Trek - The Picard Era

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [REL 0.9.2] Star Trek - The Picard Era Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: [REL 0.9.2] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 1/22/2013 5:44:08 PM   
SecuransRule

OMG! Elite: Dangerous looks absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. It's not an MMO is it? That was not clear from the game description. If it's not an MMO, I think that is a big missed opportunity on their part. Also, too bad you can't create a human avatar to leave your ship. That's another thing I really like about STO. I think I spent about an hour on every intricate detail of creating my STO avatar, and it's great using it to interact with other players rather than just having 'talking' ships.

Yes, Kickstarter seems all the rage these days. I'm an avid follower of Spacesector.com and it seems almost every post lately is Kickstarter this and Kickstarter that. I looked up their wiki and it seems they are just a middleman. That is, they don't do any of the marketing (the hard part), all they do is link the client with the amazon.com payments/escrow system. I'm reminded of what Douglas Adams wrote about useless middlemen. To be fair though, I suppose we wouldn't be seeing games like Elite or Star Drive if not for Kickstarter. Speaking of Star Drive, some have said that one may be the DW killer, and all I can say about that is it remains to be seen.

< Message edited by SecuransRule -- 1/22/2013 5:48:08 PM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 721
RE: [REL 0.9.2] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 1/23/2013 1:27:30 AM   
Igard

I think it's a persistent galaxy with thousands of players, but it uses instances (probably around 50 players in each star system). David Braben (The co-creator of Elite) has said the player will have the option of playing solo, with friends only, or with everyone else. I don't know how that will work, but he says the technology is already in place.

Also keeping an eye on Star Citizen from Chris Roberts. It's the next Wing Commander. Made a massive amount of money on kickstarter.

Yeah, kickstarter is great. There was also a successful campaign to save the set of the Enterprise D bridge from TNG. It was in disrepair and was soon to be dismantled, but someone got funding to move it to a museum and restore it. Very cool to know that people can make a difference.

(in reply to SecuransRule)
Post #: 722
RE: [REL 0.9.2] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 1/23/2013 12:24:47 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

Yeah, kickstarter is great. There was also a successful campaign to save the set of the Enterprise D bridge from TNG. It was in disrepair and was soon to be dismantled, but someone got funding to move it to a museum and restore it. Very cool to know that people can make a difference.

+1

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 1/23/2013 12:25:01 PM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 723
RE: [REL 0.9.2] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 1/23/2013 4:22:22 PM   
Bingeling

Kickstarter is nice, but I am careful.

I have funded Star Citizen, but the massive money grab feeling is a bit of at turn off. I am however happy if I get a decent space combat single player game, and am not afraid that my money will be totally wasted.

My other funding is Project Eternity. I love most of the old infinity engine games, and they got experienced people. They also give a good feeling of progress in the updates.

I don't quite understand the ones spending tons of cash up front, though. But some people like to spend lots...

The first kickstarter I noticed was this one:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive

Considering he asked or money to fund a reprint one of more comic books, 1.25 million is not shabby at all.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 724
RE: [REL 0.9.2] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 1/23/2013 5:52:12 PM   
Igard

Yeah, you have to be careful. I've only pledged to Elite, but only after I saw some progress. At first they had nothing to show us and the campaign had a very slow start as a result. It's a game I've been waiting for for over 15 years, so had to make the pledge.

Just recently, the Wildman kickstarter took a very strange twist as they paid off a bunch of their staff, then pretty much begged the community to keep pledging to fund the project so that they could re-hire them all! I mean, WOW! It's crazy.

I wonder also, what's to stop developers selling their public funded game engine to publishers? They could make alot of money that way, all at our expense. Sure they did the work, but it was funded by people who now have no say in the ownership of the product. I think if any dev were to do that though, they'd be on the recieving end of a backlash and could never count on public funding again. Even so...

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 725
RE: [REL 0.9.2] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 1/23/2013 9:07:29 PM   
Darkspire

A question about Elite. Is this the same Elite 4 that has been floating about for years, word was it was near complete, not entirely sure but I think it was to do with a disagreement between the two authors? From what Ive followed of your words in this post it does sound very similar, the single player MMO sounds very much so.

Darkspire

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 726
RE: [REL 0.9.2] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 1/23/2013 11:42:48 PM   
Igard

Not sure Darkspire. I think David Braben has planned making this game for a very long time. I read back in 2006/2007 that he planned making 2 seperate games. 1 single player, the other multi, but I don't know if any work was done on that. I think he always had trouble finding a publisher, perhaps he made an alpha that he was trying to sell, but no one would pick it up.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 727
RE: [REL 0.9.2] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 1/24/2013 11:46:58 AM   
Darkspire

The disagreement between Braben and Bell was about Braben wanting to release old versions of Elite, Frontier (It might be the other way round though, my eyes go wonky looking at CIX or BBS these days) from the Frontier website (which I think is now the 'new' Elite Dangerous page)

CIX Transcript

Not the first of a falling out between the two though, just hope the that one of the team can pull it off (bit like McCartney without Lennon, Walters without Gilmour etc)

Ian Bell Interview

And it would appear that it is the same Elite 4 that started being mentioned about twelve 12 years ago, it was also mentioned that there was quite a bit of work done as he was trying to find a publisher but cant find a reference to that anymore.

Elite 4 Early Development

Have many happy memories of Elite back in '85 (well those and wonky eyes due to the Lenslok) If it gets anywhere near as good as X2 I'm in.

Darkspire

< Message edited by Darkspire -- 1/24/2013 12:12:52 PM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 728
RE: [REL 0.9.2] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 1/24/2013 4:19:50 PM   
Igard

Thanks for finding those links Darkspire! All I rememeber is what I've read over the last 10 or more years. It's been a strange experience hearing that the game you're looking forward to is going to be released. Then it isn't. Then it is. Then it isn't Then suddenly kickstarter!

Here's the Frontier Developments youtube page incase anyone wants to see the dev diaries. There's some basic gameplay in there too. - http://www.youtube.com/user/FrontierDevelopments

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 729
RE: [REL 0.9.2] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 2/15/2013 9:41:29 AM   
Tanaka

Not sure if this is a game bug or mod bug but for some reason I am finding bunches and bunches of independent colonies and almost all of them are Reman? Shouldn't their be more variety?

By the way the Federation is super strong and blowing me and everyone else out of the water!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 2/15/2013 9:46:46 AM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 730
RE: [REL 0.9.2] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 2/15/2013 10:48:50 AM   
Igard

Hey Tanaka, thanks for the feedback.

The game creates clusters of independant colonies, all populated by the same race. I feel the same way. It would be nice to have more variety. I'd love to be able to put pre-space faring, and pre-industrial races into the game. Like the Mintakans.

The Federation has some over-powered characters. This can cause some imbalance, and I need to work on it. However, they are the Federation after all. By the time of Picard, they were the largest faction by a long way in the Alpha quadrant. If you keep out of their way and don't misbehave too much, you should be able to keep up with them. I've had games when they aren't even all that strong.

Distant Worlds has quite a large element of random-ness. I've noticed the Cardassians become the largest empire in the game. I've even seen the Bajorans become pretty big.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 731
RE: [REL 0.9.2] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 2/19/2013 7:29:17 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

Hey Tanaka, thanks for the feedback.

The game creates clusters of independant colonies, all populated by the same race. I feel the same way. It would be nice to have more variety. I'd love to be able to put pre-space faring, and pre-industrial races into the game. Like the Mintakans.

The Federation has some over-powered characters. This can cause some imbalance, and I need to work on it. However, they are the Federation after all. By the time of Picard, they were the largest faction by a long way in the Alpha quadrant. If you keep out of their way and don't misbehave too much, you should be able to keep up with them. I've had games when they aren't even all that strong.

Distant Worlds has quite a large element of random-ness. I've noticed the Cardassians become the largest empire in the game. I've even seen the Bajorans become pretty big.

Your exactly right I tried teeming independents with another game unmodded and got the same result. Clusters of the same races everywhere. Yeah without variety and them being spread out that kinda ruins the point of independents! Oh well.

Yeah in my game the feds rule and the cards and bajorans are very weak. I wonder what causes the randomness? Thanks for the response!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 2/19/2013 8:35:35 AM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 732
RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.2 - 5/8/2013 3:50:59 PM   
rub1B

Hello,
I would like to download this mod but the file appears to no longer be hosted on Gamefront.com Any help?

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 733
RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.2 - 5/9/2013 2:27:01 AM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: rub1B

Hello,
I would like to download this mod but the file appears to no longer be hosted on Gamefront.com Any help?

Hello rub,

Looks like it's still up. Maybe try again later. If not, we'll try something else.

(in reply to rub1B)
Post #: 734
RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.2 - 5/12/2013 1:43:21 PM   
Torgrim

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rub1B

Hello,

Hello rub,

Looks like it's still up. Maybe try again later. If not, we'll try something else.

Well it seems the link is broken for the download or something I can't DL it either.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 735
RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.2 - 5/12/2013 5:40:51 PM   
Igard

Very odd... It's still downloading fine for me. I wonder if gamefront are having a few problems.

Try these links instead. Please be sure to read the instruction on the front page if you're uncertain what the total conversion mod is.

Picard Era - http://www.sendspace.com/file/0ugwa4

Total Conversion - http://www.sendspace.com/file/2qrjiv

(in reply to Torgrim)
Post #: 736
RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.2 - 5/13/2013 2:10:09 PM   
Torgrim

quote:

Very odd... It's still downloading fine for me. I wonder if gamefront are having a few problems.

Try these links instead. Please be sure to read the instruction on the front page if you're uncertain what the total conversion mod is.

Thanks for the link Igard.
I really like your mod, I got a new PC a while back so I had to get DW and your mod up and running

< Message edited by Torgrim -- 5/13/2013 2:11:28 PM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 737
RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.2 - 5/15/2013 3:02:15 PM   
crazyewok

Its good work what you have done in all the eras but is there anyway to combibe all the eras?

New to this game so dont know the modding limitation but I would love to leaed the Federation or Klingons from there start to finnish.

(in reply to Torgrim)
Post #: 738
RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.2 - 5/15/2013 3:34:51 PM   
Igard

Thanks Torgrim, glad you're liking it!

quote:

ORIGINAL: crazyewok

Its good work what you have done in all the eras but is there anyway to combibe all the eras?

New to this game so dont know the modding limitation but I would love to leaed the Federation or Klingons from there start to finnish.

That's my dream mod right there. Would be immensly cool if the game could somehow change to different shipssets and characters after a certain year, keeping up with Trek canon. But I don't think we'll be able to do anything like that. At least not until Distant Worlds 2.

It's entirely possible to put all these races in 1 mod, but I haven't done anything like that yet. You'd need to use different names for some of the duplicate races, like Klingons, Federation would need to become Klingons1, Federation1 etc.

If you're interested, I'd suggest you read the customization guide downloadable here :- http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2972691

(in reply to crazyewok)
Post #: 739
RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.2 - 5/15/2013 4:39:17 PM   
crazyewok

Is there no way to Unlock new ships later on up the tec tree while locking currently built hulls?

I have been looking for the perfect 4X game engine for a start trek mod for years.

If not is a shame the distant world game designers not tweak the game engine.

Fact is there is no desent official Startrek Statergy game out there and if done right our pefect mod dream could attract a few hundred more customers

< Message edited by crazyewok -- 5/15/2013 5:00:45 PM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 740
RE: [REL 0.9.2] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/15/2013 6:45:34 PM   
Igard

No, I'm afraid there's no way to do that crazyewok.

With this mod, you can create a new design and if you scroll down the ship image selection, you'll find a bunch of unused ship images. I put these here so that the player can create some extras designs with a bit more variety.

Yeah, I definately think that with an expansion focussed on modding, this game would be so enriched, it would draw alot more attention. There is going to be a patch to include more modding capabilities after Shadows is released, so hopefully that will add alot more. However I think our dream mod is still going to be out of the question.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 741
RE: [REL 0.9.2] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/15/2013 8:54:34 PM   
crazyewok

quote:

No, I'm afraid there's no way to do that crazyewok.

With this mod, you can create a new design and if you scroll down the ship image selection, you'll find a bunch of unused ship images. I put these here so that the player can create some extras designs with a bit more variety.

Yeah, I definately think that with an expansion focussed on modding, this game would be so enriched, it would draw alot more attention. There is going to be a patch to include more modding capabilities after Shadows is released, so hopefully that will add alot more. However I think our dream mod is still going to be out of the question.

Well I am looking at other game Engines. One looks promising.....But If im to create a MOD I need someone to work with.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 742
RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.2 - 5/17/2013 1:03:36 PM   
rub1B

Thank you so much Igard ! I'm really enjoying it, great work.

< Message edited by rub1B -- 5/17/2013 1:04:17 PM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 743
RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.2 - 5/25/2013 5:58:45 PM   
Veridio74

I cannot download the mod. The link don't go.

(in reply to rub1B)
Post #: 744
RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.2 - 5/27/2013 9:04:11 PM   
Igard

Sorry for taking so long Veridio. Try these links;

Keep in mind this is only compatible with Legends.

(in reply to Veridio74)
Post #: 745
RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.2 - 5/28/2013 5:06:19 AM   
Veridio74

quote:

So now that I have installed Shadow I can't use it?

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 746
RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.3 - 5/28/2013 6:54:58 AM   
dostillevi

Igard, I think you'll see this here more quickly than in the support forum. Try making the borg a non-playable race with a huge bonus to ship size, then design their ship templates to use a ton of components that provide little effect, like load the ship up with life support. From what I understand, this should cause the engine to scale the ship to appear larger, i.e. have the borg building size 2000 ships when everyone else is around size 300 or so. I believe this should avoid the ship scaling issues entirely, although it does unfortunately mean the player either cannot play as borg or must follow their design rules to play fair. It also means lots of tweaking for engine ratios and the like..

quote:

Hit a problem with the borg ships. I've posted it in the tech support forum.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2513492

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 747
RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.2 - 5/28/2013 10:19:49 AM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veridio74

quote:

So now that I have installed Shadow I can't use it?

That's correct. I'd recommend that if you want to play, simply make a seperate installation of Legends. I've got Return of the Shakturi, Legends and Shadows all installed seperately.

Right now I'm just enjoying Shadows and learning the new game features before I attempt to update the mod.

(in reply to Veridio74)
Post #: 748
RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.3 - 5/28/2013 10:24:07 AM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: dostillevi

Igard, I think you'll see this here more quickly than in the support forum. Try making the borg a non-playable race with a huge bonus to ship size, then design their ship templates to use a ton of components that provide little effect, like load the ship up with life support. From what I understand, this should cause the engine to scale the ship to appear larger, i.e. have the borg building size 2000 ships when everyone else is around size 300 or so. I believe this should avoid the ship scaling issues entirely, although it does unfortunately mean the player either cannot play as borg or must follow their design rules to play fair. It also means lots of tweaking for engine ratios and the like..

quote:

Hit a problem with the borg ships. I've posted it in the tech support forum.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2513492

I tried that method a while back. I can't remember what happened, but it didn't have the results I'd hoped either. I might give it another try to see how it goes. Perhaps something has changed in Shadows.

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 749
RE: [REL] TRSE Star Trek Mod v1.3 - 5/29/2013 2:38:55 AM   
dostillevi

Shadows gives much greater control over how ships are built, so perhaps now it'd work.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [REL 0.9.2] Star Trek - The Picard Era Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI