Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 7/8/2011 2:43:46 PM   
Igard

Thanks, Hanny. Sounds good. I'll have to read that when I get a chance.

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 91
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/19/2011 11:50:17 AM   
Hassie

Hey, I'm not sure if someone mentioned this already, of if you are still even working on the Archer Era, but the Xindi were very important in the last few seasons, and they are like the Federation of the Next Generation Era, with 5 races forming a council. If you aren't still working on it, it's cool, I just am a fan of Star Trek, as are most of the people posting on here of course, and adding a little goes a long way.

By the way, thank you for making all these customizations. Distant Worlds is a fun game, and I literally lose track of time for hours since I downloaded your custom jobs. It is almost like having a completely new game, for free and being able to switch eras when I need a change is awesome, so seriously thank you for the hard work.

Hassie

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 92
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/19/2011 12:02:44 PM   
Data

Good tip, Hassie, every brick that adds to Igard's mountain of ST knowledge is more than welcomed. Good to have you onboard, having fun it's what is all about.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Hassie)
Post #: 93
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/19/2011 12:33:32 PM   
Caesar_Augustus

Aye, Hassie, I'll second your kind remarks on Igard's fine work...

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 94
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/19/2011 2:27:36 PM   
Igard

Hi there, Hassie. Thank you for the kind words and also that of Caesar and Data.

I've been working (slowly) on the Xindi since I first did the Archer mod. Just looking for a variety of ships for them.

(in reply to Caesar_Augustus)
Post #: 95
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/19/2011 4:00:47 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanny
There is a 9 chapter book at minutiae website dealing with the war, it reads like someone was playing the board game star fleet battles, with all the federation CV and fighters, and then wrote a novel of the game, but got me thinking about what era to base a Scn (scenario)since you have already done a lot of ship sets.

Yes, that does look like SFB board game...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 96
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/19/2011 4:07:32 PM   
tjhkkr

Let me never be lax in praising the work of the people on this forum.
If I gave a list of people who have put out extraordinary work, I would inevitably forget someone and hurt their feelings... but the talent on this forum and the comradery is fantastic.
Medals for you all.

Now, I better go and do some work...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tjhkkr -- 8/19/2011 4:08:35 PM >

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 97
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/19/2011 4:15:34 PM   
Data

LOL, good one

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 98
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/19/2011 8:43:11 PM   
Igard

Thanks TJ.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 99
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/19/2011 9:01:38 PM   
Data

in a very manly fashion obviously.....

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 100
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/20/2011 3:25:19 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hassie

By the way, thank you for making all these customizations. Distant Worlds is a fun game, and I literally lose track of time for hours since I downloaded your custom jobs. It is almost like having a completely new game, for free and being able to switch eras when I need a change is awesome, so seriously thank you for the hard work.

Hassie

Thanks for the accolades Hassie for my good Romulan friend Igard.

When I worked with him on his first Trek mod (Star Trek TRSE), I saw that there would most likely
be hundreds or more of similar feelings like yours (and mine) concerning the extra immersion and
fun that his mods would add to Distant Worlds and its expansion. I add my kudos to yours toward
Igard, as well as to Woodman, Kalthaniell, Haree and the many others who make this game AND its
community great!

P.S. ....and the MANY comments and logic from a certain 'bearded' android!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 8/20/2011 3:29:06 AM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Hassie)
Post #: 101
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/20/2011 7:47:16 AM   
Data

quote:

certain 'bearded' android

beard which, not at all surprisingly, comes still from Igard

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 102
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/21/2011 11:21:55 AM   
Hassie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

Hi there, Hassie. Thank you for the kind words and also that of Caesar and Data.

I've been working (slowly) on the Xindi since I first did the Archer mod. Just looking for a variety of ships for them.

I wish they showed more examples of their ships during the episodes. I haven't watched that season of "Star Trek: Enterprise" in nearly a year, however, I do remember the Aquatics having huge ships that could literally stow the Enterprise inside it's cargo bay, while they went through their Hyper-Space jump thing. The Ants had small ships, but very powerful for their size, and the reptiles had ships about the same size as Enterprise IIRC.

It would be cool to have the Xindi split into 3 races, in terms of planetary favoring. The Ants and Reptiles favoring Deserts I would think. The Monkey/Sloth Race and Degra's Race (Maybe humanoid, but not descended from apes I don't think) would favor Continents, and the Aquatics favoring Blistering Volcanoes of course.

I am not sure how that would work, since how I read the races file, you can only choose 1 type of planet per race, and splitting them up would mean you can't be the whole Xindi council, just one sect of it. I suppose if there was some way to change the starting tech a race can start with to something other than one of the original 15 that are listed, or maybe change it so they get 2, than I suppose it would work, although it would be making them extremely powerful with 2 starting techs for colonizing like that.

If I knew how the coding worked in Distant Worlds, I would help you out, adding races, modifying pictures of ships to work with the game engine, and anything else, but I would just be more of a bother than I could help with Distant Worlds, unfortunately. Well, I eagerly and patiently await any and all updates and future mods you put out. Oh one last thing, I was kidding about the Aquatics loving the Blistering Volcanoes

Hassie

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 103
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/21/2011 3:13:37 PM   
Igard

I considered splitting up the Xindi races, but it would mean alot more work for me. More ships would have to be found for them, but it would be alot more true to canon since it seems that the Xindi races did have their own worlds seperate from each other. Just one council, in which case, I could set their bias to maximum friendliness.

DW is very easy to mod, but if you don't feel like it, then the best help you can give me, would be to find some 'Top down' views of ships for me to use. I'm always keeping an eye on what the other modders are doing, to see if they come up with something 'Xindi like' and then I'll ask them nicely if I can use them.

Here's a look at what I've got so far for the Xindi. Not much I know. Only the 2 with black backgrounds are actually Xindi ships from the series. The rest just have the right 'look'.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hassie)
Post #: 104
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/21/2011 3:25:39 PM   
Data

The frigate reminds me of a romulan scout
I'm not picky btw

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 105
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/21/2011 4:17:00 PM   
Igard

Probably because it has those feathered patterns on the wings. I can take those off though.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 106
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/24/2011 10:22:48 AM   
Hassie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

I considered splitting up the Xindi races, but it would mean alot more work for me. More ships would have to be found for them, but it would be alot more true to canon since it seems that the Xindi races did have their own worlds seperate from each other. Just one council, in which case, I could set their bias to maximum friendliness.

DW is very easy to mod, but if you don't feel like it, then the best help you can give me, would be to find some 'Top down' views of ships for me to use. I'm always keeping an eye on what the other modders are doing, to see if they come up with something 'Xindi like' and then I'll ask them nicely if I can use them.

Here's a look at what I've got so far for the Xindi. Not much I know. Only the 2 with black backgrounds are actually Xindi ships from the series. The rest just have the right 'look'.

Well, there are a TON of pictures of ships, including Xindi, and some Nausicaan that actually look somewhat like Reptilian kind of. The problem is, the 3rd worst view of a ship it top down, in regards to showing a picture of ship. Everything is a 3/4 view from the front or back it seems. There are several side views of ships, including Degra's, the Insect Shuttle that Archer found, and used to try to destroy the "Death Star." The Ships that really matter, like the Reptilian are all 3/4 view tho, and without some major graphical change's, I don't believe they would work.

I don't think there are enough ships, shown in Star Trek: Enterprise, to fill up the Xindi's requirement for ships, so using other ships that look like they could fit is an excellent idea.

As for helping you, I am more than happy to give you any help you think is possible. I spent dozens of hours making mods on games like, Mount and Blade, Hearts of Iron Series, and several other Paradox games. I went and got the Steam Paradox Value Pack that came with nearly every game, expansion and DLC they made in the past few years, when it was on sale for 66% off, so I have spent countless hours modding those games.

I am retired, so I don't have many pressing matters that will hinder me for lengths of time greater than sleep. It has been several years since College though, and I never used my computer skills professionally. I would say they were sub-par to begin with, as I was an Electronic Engineer, not a Computer Programmer, and not ever using them had made any skill I did have, rusty and sub-par.

Let me know what you think about side-view pictures of ships, and if that can work, and I will assume the 3/4 view is a no go.

Is there a way to set up a scenario, where the map starts out with the Federation, Romulans, Klingons, and all other empires, set up in a specific way? I mean can it be made so the map it set up like that of the Star Trek Series, and place those empires, with their planets, and everything, how it is in the series? I think it would be neat to be able to start a game as one of the large powers, but as closely as possible to how it is in the TV Series/Movies/Books.

Thank you again for your time and patience with answering my questions, and I hope I'm not too much of a bother.

Hassie

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 107
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/24/2011 12:18:30 PM   
Igard

No bother at all, Hassie. I like getting feed back and having discussions about this stuff.

On the subject of side view pictures, mostly no.  I'll only use a side on image if it looks like it's the top of the ship. As for 3/4 views, my skills have limits so these are definately a no-go.

On the subject of map scenarios. This has come up a few times recently on the forums.

I got a PM from one of the other modders on here, RisingSon, asking if I thought about extracting the information for the map, from the save game file. I had considered this, but I'm not sure what I'm doing really and have never put any time aside to try it.

Basically, you'd start a game, edit the map to suit. Make it look like the Trek galaxy. Save the game.

Find a way to decompile (if that's the right expression) the save game file.

Figure out what data refers to the map and copy it.

You could then create a savegame file for each race, using the editor, you'd have to move the homeworld each time, so that the starting location is different.

Not hard, but time consuming (and I don't even know if it's possible).

(in reply to Hassie)
Post #: 108
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/25/2011 12:11:59 AM   
tjhkkr

Most save game files can be parsed/decompiled -- whatever word you like to use. But with something as complex as DW, and it is a complex game... it would be a challenge. There is picture data/pointers, database pointers, individual ship information such as damage... planet information, race information, EMPIRE information... I can go on and on...

When I built my game, which was database intensive, I did the same thing by having a basic database with perfect information, and then databases of the galaxies current situation... there was never a need to save a game, but then you could not play two completely different scenarios at the same time.

Really, I know we are all appreciative of the work that goes into a game like DW, but we really need to tip our hats... this is a complex game, and yes there are a couple of problems here or there, but really given its complexity, this game works REALLY well... Another medal should go out to Elliot...

I should get back to work...

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 109
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/25/2011 12:23:26 AM   
Igard

That's what I feared, TJ. I wouldn't know how to find the info, if it's even possible.

Looks like we'll be getting plenty of new modding options for the next expansion. So that'll keep me busy for a while anyway.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 110
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/25/2011 2:49:44 AM   
ehsumrell1

I would guess that, from the recent info from Erik we received, if there are going to
be boundries/spheres of influence in the game's next update, there should be a way
using the game editor to set up a galaxy map by how one chooses. Then if one sets
the bias file and races file setting according to Star Trek canon, you should be
able to realistically create a very close facsimile of the galaxy. It should also
work for the Star Wars and Babylon 5 realms also.

( We MUST keep TJ and Woodman happy! We don't want a Narn angry or the Dark Side upset!)

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 8/25/2011 2:50:42 AM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 111
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/25/2011 7:06:44 AM   
Data

Stop it, Ed, or we'll begin to drool far sooner than we should....and then the shouting for the release date begins and....
Can you imagine such a realistic ST universe? Igard, you WILL be a beta tester no?

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 112
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 8/25/2011 12:58:32 PM   
tjhkkr

I just want them to do this one right, and if it takes a little extra time, so be it. It looks way cool; characters... which probably means assassins...
I do not like assassins, but that is the reality, and it will take security to a whole new level. You do not want your top scientist exposed on some outpost in the middle of the no where to be attacked by some assassin or by some strike cruiser...
That was the coolest part of Star Wars, Rebellion: characters...
This promises to be fun...

The only thing I am scared about: am I going to have to upgrade my computer???
The last time I upgraded my computer for a game was 'Harpoon 2' many years ago...

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 113
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 2/5/2013 5:48:18 PM   
gaultesian

The link does not seem to be working any longer. Does anyone have an alternate download link.

On another note, with links to older mods becoming broken or obsolete, maybe this may be the time for Matrix Games to start updating the mods list, so that newer players (such as myself)can get a better idea of the number of correct, working mods out there, especially before Shadows is released.

Oh, and btw, I am a new player to Distant worlds (2 months now and counting), and thoroughly love it. Keep it up - I am enjoying myself immensely (and kitbashing some new shipsets).

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 114
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 2/5/2013 8:49:04 PM   
Igard

Hi gualtesian. Welcome to the Distant Worlds forums. Jolan Tru!

The mediafire link is still working for me. I'll upload to gamefront as an alternative.

There is a mod compendium thread stickied in the forums, but that hasn't been updated for a while. There are quite a few mods here that are dead unfortunately and it can be quite hard to search through all the other threads.

I think the time has long passed when we should have made a sub-forum for released mods. Un-released and general mod discussion should be kept seperate.

Stand by for that alternative link. Uploading now...

Please remember this mod is only for the Return of the Shakturi expansion. It won't work with Legends or original DW.

(in reply to gaultesian)
Post #: 115
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 2/5/2013 9:26:15 PM   
gaultesian

Thank you Igard.

I do believe the original Archer Era download has a copyright issue with one of the music tracks (there is a warning that comes up during that time).

I am ok with the ROTS mod: I will adapt it accordingly for Legends.

I do have to say, this is one gem of a game that went unnoticed by me for quite some time. Best strat 4x space game I have seen to date. Cheera, and thank you again.

gaultesian.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 116
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 2/5/2013 10:08:48 PM   
Igard

I wonder if it's something to do with your country's copyright. It downloads ok here in the UK.

I'm having trouble uploading to gamefront and it seems that even if I do get it uploaded, new rules on that site result in inactive downloads getting deleted. I'll need to find another host.

Filedropper looks quite good. They have a membership for 99 cents per month. Might sign up for that. I'll just do a free upload first and see how long it lasts. Should take a few minutes...

(in reply to gaultesian)
Post #: 117
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 2/5/2013 10:14:02 PM   
gaultesian

That must be it. Otherwise, someone surely would have brought this up beforehand.

I am in Canada, where, everything is very heavily regulated. I would not be the least bit surprised.

The Mediafire website says (when I try to download the mod):

Permission Denied.
Rua Penthe by Cliff Eidelmann can be downloaded from one of these fine retailers....I guess the ost music must have been picked up by some sort of censor.

Cheers,
gaultesian

< Message edited by gaultesian -- 2/5/2013 10:19:09 PM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 118
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 2/5/2013 10:29:01 PM   
Igard

Ah, Canada. The Scotland of America!

For some reason my internet is a bit slow tonight. The upload seems to have halted entirely. I'm going to try another host, but if that doesn't work, it'll have to wait until tomorrow I'm afraid.

(in reply to gaultesian)
Post #: 119
RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 - 2/5/2013 10:56:23 PM   
Igard

Right, I tried a whole bunch of hosts and ended up with this one here.

Link - http://d-h.st/Re5

Let me know if there are any problems. Happy Trekking!

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [REL] Archer Era - Star Trek v1.2 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI