Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game Music setting

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Game Music setting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game Music setting - 12/15/2002 12:26:46 AM   
Maxfreeboard

I just bought SUDG and am quite excited about it's potential. One thing I noticed while playing the game last night is that the game music goes back to the original default sound level setting no matter how many times I save/load a lower sound volume setting. It is the 2.0 release. Anybody else experiencing this? I'm going to look for INI files, etc. and see if I can affect the change that way.

Thanks...
Post #: 1
- 12/15/2002 2:39:46 AM   
startrekdork

ummm every time you change the sound settings do you hit the make default button? a problem i had was i changed all the race names and saved as defaults, returned to my game and none of the names had changed. so i exited the game went in changed it in options then started a new game then they all worked. or ask andrew.

(in reply to Maxfreeboard)
Post #: 2
- 12/15/2002 4:03:46 AM   
Maxfreeboard

Yes, that's what I meant by saved. Let me try you idea and start a new gave after setting it.

Post #: 3
- 12/15/2002 4:05:24 AM   
Grotius

I had the same problem. I tried to mute or lower the volume of the music, and it worked for a few minutes, but then the music came back. Did I miss something?

Post #: 4
- 12/15/2002 4:15:37 AM   
Maxfreeboard

I tried reducing the volume in the Game Options, then started a new game but the same thing happens. After a couple of minutes the music volume is back to the original default. Nuts.

Post #: 5
- 12/15/2002 5:40:37 AM   
startrekdork

so the music is bothering you or somethin? ummm i dont know what else to do. ask andrew and he can probably help you i mean he did make the game and all. other recomendations, and im not too sure about recomending these. i read in previous posts that if you add the number one to the beginning movie files, the computer cant find the movies so itll skip over them because it drove me nutz before when youd have to wait through the movies, so if the sound is driving you nutz you can probably tack on a 1 to the songs in the song folder you dont like the most. or you can add six of your favorite songs in there by changing there file names to the song names already in the game. i think. ive never tried it before......

Post #: 6
- 12/15/2002 9:23:29 AM   
Grotius

I don't mind the songs themselves, but there's just not enough variety, and I go to the bed with one or two of these songs running through my head nonstop! I often end up muting music in games for this reason. Andrew, if you're reading this thread, does mute/diminish volume work? It seems to work for a few months, and then it sneaks back to full volume on its own.

Thanks for the tip on movies. I'd like to skip those too. You changed the file name of each movie, or the folder containing them?

Post #: 7
- 12/15/2002 11:28:52 AM   
startrekdork

the file name of each movie. the movie folder has three movies in it i think and i just tacked on the number 1 to each of them so if i wanted to switch it back all id need to do is remove the one. actually......i think andrew does that too.

Post #: 8
- 12/15/2002 11:51:54 PM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

If you want things like music volumes, etc. to stay permament, then you need to select the "Make defaults" button after making your changes.

Developer of Starships Unlimited

Post #: 9
- 12/16/2002 1:04:12 AM   
Maxfreeboard

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andrew Ewanchyna
[B]If you want things like music volumes, etc. to stay permament, then you need to select the "Make defaults" button after making your changes. [/B][/QUOTE]

I did and it doesnt work. I even tried making the setting change, saving it as the default and then starting a new game. It doesn't make any difference. The game music goes back to the installation default after a couple of minutes. I have version 2.0.

Post #: 10
- 12/17/2002 12:31:39 AM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

Now that is weird. Have you tried lowering the overall volume? Are you getting any of your defaults saved?

Post #: 11
- 12/17/2002 1:32:15 AM   
Maxfreeboard

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andrew Ewanchyna
[B]Now that is weird. Have you tried lowering the overall volume? Are you getting any of your defaults saved? [/B][/QUOTE]

Not yet. I had several runtime errors last night so I removed SUDG and installed it again. Will play with other settings and see.

Thanks

Post #: 12
- 12/20/2002 4:06:15 AM   
peaeri

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grotius
[B] ... and I go to the bed with one or two of these songs running through my head nonstop! [/B][/QUOTE]
Now, if only I could devise a way to receive royalties when that happens!
:p

Eric Pearson
(composer STUN Divided Galaxies soundtrack)

Post #: 13
- 12/20/2002 11:47:12 AM   
Grotius

Hi Eric,

You did a terrific job on the soundtrack; it's quite catchy, and it fits the mood of the game. It has a certain upbeat quality that I like. I've done some digital audio recording of my own (I play piano and fool around with MIDI, Sonar, soundfonts and whatnot), so I know what a challenge it is to create music. Well done!

Post #: 14
- 12/20/2002 12:56:18 PM   
Maxfreeboard

Hey Grotius and peaeri,

Can you reproduce this where if you lower the music sound level and set it as default does it go back to the installation default volume level in several minutes?

Let me know and what operating system you're running and I'll pass this info on to Andrew.

Post #: 15
- 12/20/2002 6:50:17 PM   
peaeri

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grotius
[B]...I've done some digital audio recording of my own (I play piano and fool around with MIDI, Sonar, soundfonts...[/B][/QUOTE]
Hi Grotius,

Thanks for the kind words. You mention you use Sonar. I'm an old Cakewalk user and I'm thinking of upgrading to Sonar myself.

Eric Pearson
(composer STUN Divided Galaxies soundtrack)

Post #: 16
- 12/24/2002 3:01:20 AM   
Greek

I can't get the music to stay shut-off either. I save it, but it keeps coming back when I start a new game.

Post #: 17
- 12/24/2002 3:44:27 AM   
Maxfreeboard

Thanks for the sanity check Greek. :-) I'll let Andrew know.

Post #: 18
- 12/24/2002 7:06:06 AM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

What kind of sound card do you have Greek? Don't know why this is showing up now, didn't make any changes to the audio.

Post #: 19
- 12/24/2002 8:29:38 AM   
Greek

I have an "off the shelf" HP PIV computer, which means it doesn't have a sound card it has, I was told, a sound wire that runs off the modem. I'm sure this is part of the problem

Bill

Post #: 20
- 12/24/2002 8:44:46 AM   
Maxfreeboard

Hi Andrew,

I'm using the Creative Labs Live Gamer with the last drivers they issued.

Thanks.

Post #: 21
- 12/24/2002 11:41:01 PM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

Just to ensure that we're all on the same page here.

If you go to the Games Options popup and:
-turn the volume of the music off (by selecting the Mute end of the control bar)
-select the "Make Defaults" at the bottom of the popup

You can play the current game with the music off

-Start a new game (e.g. go to the New Game page and select "Start a New Game!", note you never quit the application)

You find that the music comes back on?

Post #: 22
- 12/25/2002 3:32:29 AM   
Maxfreeboard

In my case, if I am careful to move the music slider "all the way" to the left, "muting" the music and save it as the default, the music says "muted". Any other position of the music mute slider saved as a default doesn't not stay. After 2-3 minutes, the music level is back to the default. Maybe Greek isn't moving the slider to the "extreme" left??

Happy Holidays

Post #: 23
- 12/25/2002 4:14:40 AM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

Note that you can mute the music by clicking on the left part of the white border of the slider. Are you saying that if you completely mute the music then it stays off?

Post #: 24
- 12/25/2002 6:53:37 AM   
Maxfreeboard

Thanks for the tip about clicking on the white border. Yes, it is any other slider setting that won't stay as the default for the music level. I can totally mute the music but I don't want to do that, I just want to change the music level ratio.

Post #: 25
- 12/27/2002 6:55:48 AM   
Greek

I am embarrassed to admit, when I clicked "make default" that seemed to be the fix. I had interpreted that as "restore default", but guess I shouldn't have assumed.

Thanks for all the help, it works now.

Bill:)

Post #: 26
- 12/27/2002 1:14:14 PM   
Maxfreeboard

Hi Greek,

So you can successfully completely mute the music, ie, turn it off totally, and keep that as the default now? Can you set any intermediate music level and keep that as a default w/o the music level reverting back to the installation default?

Thanks...

Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Game Music setting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI