Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

German Air Refueling

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> German Air Refueling Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
German Air Refueling - 12/20/2012 10:27:15 PM   
hfarrish

The current use of this showed up in the Saper/Harrybanana game and I now have a game ongoing where it is being used with devastating effect - is this currently considered a WAD process (i.e. the ability to fully fuel up units hundreds of miles from any rail line) or is it something else? Can the Soviet player really do anything to counter it? Seems like air units never fly intercepts against the resupply missions (its really hard to predict where they will be in any case, and you are likely to get your air units brushed aside by deep striking motorized units if you keep them anywhere close enough to accomplish anything).

Post #: 1
RE: German Air Refueling - 12/20/2012 10:52:26 PM   
carlkay58

Check out the latest patch which requires airbases to be within 5 of the railhead in order to fly air supply missions - major change that nerfs this tactic a bit.

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 2
RE: German Air Refueling - 12/20/2012 11:36:02 PM   
gingerbread

An additional complication (for the intercepting player) is that night air transport shows the same available load as day does.

This means that there has to be two sets of interceptors (day/night) though night intercept is much more range dependent than day, at least if I understand Pavel's comment correctly when the issue was night strategic bombing.

This also opens up for the refueling player to do two 'recon' transport missions and see which of day/night is met by interceptors and then choose the lighter opposition for the main transport effort.

You need to have some interceptors set to night.

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 3
RE: German Air Refueling - 2/17/2013 4:36:35 PM   
jagfour

I need help or a better understanding of air re-supply. It says in the manual 16.3.4 that I can choose to drop supplies or fuel but I cant find an explaination as to how to make this choice. Can someone help me with this?

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 4
RE: German Air Refueling - 2/17/2013 4:47:46 PM   
swkuh

To do air supply, choose air supply mode (the parachute icon) move cursor to unit to be supplied, press shift key as right clicking, read info panel that comes up, supply type choice is in lower right corner, click to change between supplies or fuel... usually game makes a good first choice, though...

(in reply to jagfour)
Post #: 5
RE: German Air Refueling - 2/18/2013 11:00:37 AM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: hfarrish

The current use of this showed up in the Saper/Harrybanana game and I now have a game ongoing where it is being used with devastating effect - is this currently considered a WAD process (i.e. the ability to fully fuel up units hundreds of miles from any rail line) or is it something else? Can the Soviet player really do anything to counter it? Seems like air units never fly intercepts against the resupply missions (its really hard to predict where they will be in any case, and you are likely to get your air units brushed aside by deep striking motorized units if you keep them anywhere close enough to accomplish anything).

Its issues like this that 2by3 has no control over that is keeping the game so wildly out of balance.

People that don't exploit are easly defeated by 44 or quit in early 41, because the russain forses have to be gratly over rated to try and make up for exploits 2by3 seems to have no control over.

Making the game unplayable for 90% of the poeple playing.

You have to find a way to exploit/cheat ect ect or the game is unplayable.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 2/18/2013 11:01:48 AM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 6
RE: German Air Refueling - 2/18/2013 4:11:21 PM   
Seminole

The Luftwaffe actually employed giant eagles from Middle Earth to deliver fuel to panzer armee schwerpunkts. The eagles have keen eyesight, and are willing to fly day or night. That is why your intercepts fail.

quote:

People that don't exploit are easly defeated by 44 or quit in early 41

One shudders to think how long the Germans would have lasted if Stavka hadn't historically been commanded by a militarily mental midget.

quote:

Obviously Hitler should have played chess.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 7
RE: German Air Refueling - 2/19/2013 10:08:22 AM   
AFV

Awesome.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 8
RE: German Air Refueling - 2/19/2013 4:30:36 PM   
Gunnulf

Thats all very well but chess is massively biased in favour of the white army with its hard coded first move advantage. Until that is nerfed I see no reason to play. More than 10 times a week anyway...

< Message edited by Gunnulf -- 2/19/2013 4:32:18 PM >

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 9
RE: German Air Refueling - 2/19/2013 8:52:51 PM   
Tone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

Making the game unplayable for 90% of the poeple playing.

I would say that it is more like 20% of the peoples playing, and that is because they are still learnings mechanics or maybe they stupid.

Both the victor
and the vanquished are
but drops of dew,
but bolts of lightning -
thus should we view the world.
Ôuchi Yoshitaka
1507-1551

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 10
RE: German Air Refueling - 2/19/2013 10:53:20 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seminole

The Luftwaffe actually employed giant eagles from Middle Earth to deliver fuel to panzer armee schwerpunkts. The eagles have keen eyesight, and are willing to fly day or night. That is why your intercepts fail.

quote:

People that don't exploit are easly defeated by 44 or quit in early 41

One shudders to think how long the Germans would have lasted if Stavka hadn't historically been commanded by a militarily mental midget.

quote:

Obviously Hitler should have played chess.

Sweet very nice heheh

A dos based message would have been more fitting with old monochrome screen shot hehehehe

Its a 9 and not a 10 because of that :)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 11
RE: German Air Refueling - 2/19/2013 10:57:38 PM   
Jimbo123

For us dlightly older folks an awsome post! I give it a 10

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 12
RE: German Air Refueling - 2/19/2013 10:58:07 PM   
Jimbo123

Slightly

(in reply to Jimbo123)
Post #: 13
RE: German Air Refueling - 2/20/2013 10:27:03 PM   
sillyflower

We older folks have trouble with new fangled things like keyboards and things that are a bit like telly screens but aren't, so Seminole gets 11/10 from me for being able to do it at all

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Jimbo123)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> German Air Refueling Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI