Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is Midway worth it?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Is Midway worth it? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is Midway worth it? - 2/23/2013 7:43:28 AM   
coxville

Hi all, have been away for a while and now setting up a new campaign as Japan. Reviewing all my old notes of invasion targets I am wondering whether Midway is worth it? It looks impressive and gives some early warning of allied TF's and i am sure it also acts as a target thereby protecting others but it is so small I am beginning to wonder if I would be better deploying the assets elsewhere? Chris

93% of statistics are wrong...
Post #: 1
RE: Is Midway worth it? - 2/23/2013 7:59:10 AM   
Quixote

I'd say that it is worth it, but only if you take it early (before the Allies have a chance to mine it, raise the fort levels substantially, and reinforce it.) If you can pick it up in the first few months cheaply, do it. After that, I don't think it's worth the losses you might incur, or all the assets you'd need to commit to give yourself a decent chance of taking it.

(in reply to coxville)
Post #: 2
RE: Is Midway worth it? - 2/23/2013 8:01:44 AM   
John 3rd

Grab it for cheap if possible, otherwise, don't try. Must be done early with significant force. It makes a GREAT SS base!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 3
RE: Is Midway worth it? - 2/23/2013 8:48:09 AM   
FatR

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Grab it for cheap if possible, otherwise, don't try. Must be done early with significant force. It makes a GREAT SS base!

Yeah, for the Allies too. Probably the closest base to Japanese sealanes around the Home Islands they will have early in the game.

The Reluctant Admiral mod team.

Take a look at the latest released version of the Reluctant Admiral mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4
RE: Is Midway worth it? - 2/23/2013 12:04:45 PM   
coxville

Thanks guys, I love the quick responses you get on this forum. Chris

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 5
RE: Is Midway worth it? - 2/23/2013 1:41:41 PM   
dr.hal

Coxville, before this thread runs out of steam I would like to put in a negative. From an allied perspective if you take Midway you are simply providing the allies with target practice on the cheap. One thing the allies need is combat experience so as to improve their pilots skills. YET, it can be an expensive exercise in that you have to travel into enemy territory to get it. However if Midway is taken then the allied CVs need only go outside their door step in which to practice. Thus on the cheap and the benefits are substantial as air defenses of Midway can not be substantial or sustained. Also Midway is so far out there that it is almost impossible to keep supplied especially after the allied player starts to get lots of toys. So I really don't see the benefit, but then again, I've not played for Japan! My 2 cents! Hal

(in reply to coxville)
Post #: 6
RE: Is Midway worth it? - 2/23/2013 6:13:25 PM   
Sardaukar

Good base for search and early warning, but impossible to keep as Japan later. It is so close to PH that it's impossible to react fast if Allies want it back. And if garrisoned to max...probably impossible to supply in long run too.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 7
RE: Is Midway worth it? - 2/23/2013 7:44:03 PM   
coxville

I'm moving towards a quick grab and then using for search and SS base i.e keeping just enough there to be a nuisance and with a quick exit strategy for any higher value assets.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 8
RE: Is Midway worth it? - 2/23/2013 8:47:52 PM   
Sardaukar

Beware of having subs repairing there. If they are doing Pierside repair and you lose the base, they will scuttle.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to coxville)
Post #: 9
RE: Is Midway worth it? - 2/23/2013 10:19:32 PM   
JeffroK

Like all strategies there are Pros and Cons.

You would need to take it early, any reasonable US player will send a Def BN plus pretty quickly.

As many mention its a close target for the USN, but if you mine it and deploy Subs this could be an expensive practise. It may also be a place to set up a Midway like ambush.

Can the US leave it alone if regular recon of the Hawaii area (and occasional night bombing)and refueling of SS was creating dangerous waters between PH and SF due to the extra time on station.

If you are willing to lose about a Brigade sized force (At least 1 CD type unit) it is probably worth the investment.
Mavis/Emily transports could help the supply effort, plus some SS Transports or APD (coming out of Wake)

In conjunction with taking Johnston & Christmas Islands (why take Tarakan and Makin??)it may make your AFB opponent very nervous about PH.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 10
RE: Is Midway worth it? - 2/28/2013 12:27:16 AM   
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

Its a waste of time-- not only are you giving the Allies target practice, but keeping it supplied might cost you some ships as his subs can easily interdict the sea lanes there. I assault Midway with the KB and fleet for the same reason the Japanese did in May 1942-- to pick a fight. Fortunately it went ok, but my infantry took a beating and its been a bear to get them evacuated and to supply what's left on the island. It doesn't have many VP's either.

John 21:25

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 11
RE: Is Midway worth it? - 3/2/2013 9:33:41 AM   
inqistor

Generally Midway is not worth taking, or keeping, but...

PzB did it late in game (like late 1943). He lost lots of ships to CD gun, but...
As time progresses, Allied player decides, that it is already safe, and changes it into forward submarine base, and fill it with fuel! Just think about all this free fuel you will bet conquering it later.

(in reply to leehunt27@bloomberg.net)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Is Midway worth it? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI