Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1.7.0.14 Autosave Crash

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> 1.7.0.14 Autosave Crash Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1.7.0.14 Autosave Crash - 5/24/2012 5:21:24 PM   
MartialDoctor

DW crashed while autosaving. Here's a picture of the error.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: 1.7.0.14 Autosave Crash - 5/24/2012 6:53:13 PM   
Bebop Cola

I get those when I don't manage the memory leak issue. Basically, seems like 1.7.0.14 has a memory leak that dumps the application every couple hours depending on your system. The only way to avoid it is to quite the application cleanly every couple hours so it can release the memory it has accumulated. Then you can start it back up.

(in reply to MartialDoctor)
Post #: 2
RE: 1.7.0.14 Autosave Crash - 5/25/2012 2:19:36 AM   
Kayoz

I'm not convinced that this is a memory leak - I haven't seen the process actually running out of memory (VMMap sysinternals). Two other possibilities are -

• a problem with the code attempting to erroneously allocate a ridiculously large amount of memory - it's not the first time it's happened, especially if multiple threads are accessing a shared object and the object isn't locking access to a single thread at a time (A and B try to access C - while A is using it, B comes in and messes up the data)
  • memory fragmentation is another possibility

Nothing a user can do about it, however. Elliot has to track it down and fix it.

But imo, DW probably needs a custom memory pool to get around the 2G limit in .Net - but that's just a guess, as I can only guess at how Elliot is handling his memory. There is no real reason why DW should be limited to 2G memory limit imposed by .Net.

A 64-bit version would also be nice, as it's becoming more and more common these days. I have no idea how hard this would be to do with C#. Perhaps food for thought for the next version of DW.

*edit*
Looks like it would be more trouble than it's worth to recompile for 64-bit at this point. If the next version of DW is going to require a major rewrite, it might be worth considering, however.

< Message edited by Kayoz -- 5/25/2012 4:58:52 AM >

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 3
RE: 1.7.0.14 Autosave Crash - 5/29/2012 2:16:00 PM   
solops

I get the same crash....1000 stars on a 15x15.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 4
RE: 1.7.0.14 Autosave Crash - 2/23/2013 6:22:15 PM   
Ruru

me to. saving issue. sometimes i get one or two saves...sometimes i dont get a save. it mean all the gameplay is lost. had to restart game very frequently but that doesnt always work :(

so i went on medium map, lot less stars. only 4 empires. still problem exists.

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> 1.7.0.14 Autosave Crash Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI