Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/28/2013 4:52:50 AM   
ehsumrell1

Take a DEEP breath TJ......Now BREATHE....you're going to be okay!

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 2/28/2013 4:53:03 AM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 451
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/28/2013 6:22:36 AM   
Antiscamp

I am really looking forward to seeing what land troops and unit types will do for modding. My humans have needs for all sorts of new troops.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 452
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/28/2013 11:16:57 AM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: starbuck310

No trade sanctions in my game I found they rarely impose them?

It seems that the AI relies on the relation score, and each AI got a trade sanction limit.

If this limit is, say -30, you can end with relations bouncing between -31 and -29 as their covetion goes up and down, you bust a pirate base... And the trade sanction are on and off in short intervals. It is quite annoying when that happens. Some "cooldown" between changes would not hurt.

(in reply to Pawsy)
Post #: 453
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/28/2013 1:06:29 PM   
ASHBERY76

The A.I diplomacy spamming is set at a 3 month interval for santions.The games needs longer enforced yearly time limits to treaties in the game like you get in real time strategy systems ala EU3..The diplomacy system is pretty useless for alliances too because of this.You or the A.I empire can and does sue for peace straight away when getting inlvolved in the alliance war so what is the point.There needs to be long coldown times for peace too so war weariness has some meaning in gameplay.The diplomacy system needs tightening up in general to stop the host of exploits it allows.

Subjugation treaties are also useless as other empires can declare war and get subjugation on that same empire too,which makes the 10% and war effort involved in getting them useless.You might as well annex the whole empire.

Not beign able to ask for military and mining rights in diplomacy is also bizzare.Why would you offer it for free when one should get nice stuff for it?

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 2/28/2013 1:27:57 PM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 454
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/28/2013 2:57:24 PM   
Tyrador

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

The A.I diplomacy spamming is set at a 3 month interval for santions.The games needs longer enforced yearly time limits to treaties in the game like you get in real time strategy systems ala EU3..The diplomacy system is pretty useless for alliances too because of this.You or the A.I empire can and does sue for peace straight away when getting inlvolved in the alliance war so what is the point.There needs to be long coldown times for peace too so war weariness has some meaning in gameplay.The diplomacy system needs tightening up in general to stop the host of exploits it allows.

Subjugation treaties are also useless as other empires can declare war and get subjugation on that same empire too,which makes the 10% and war effort involved in getting them useless.You might as well annex the whole empire.

Not beign able to ask for military and mining rights in diplomacy is also bizzare.Why would you offer it for free when one should get nice stuff for it?

It would be great if DW would have something similar to EU3 like: policies, ideas, core system, 5 year truce, casus belli, vassalisation, alliances, local decisions, missions and etc. Probably it is not so hard to implements some of those

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 455
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/28/2013 10:07:16 PM   
Kalthaniell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tyrador

quote:

It would be great if DW would have something similar to EU3 like: policies, ideas, core system, 5 year truce, casus belli, vassalisation, alliances, local decisions, missions and etc. Probably it is not so hard to implements some of those

It already has alliances, protectorates, policies, missions and different government styles Tyrador ;P
I agree however, that an enforced peace time after a truce has been signed would be a good improvement. Due to the war weariness mechanic one can find himself 'cheating the system' by negotiating peace with an enemy just to get rid of war weariness and than declare war immediately afterwards.
But my personal opinion is that political interaction in DW shouldn't get too complex. It might make guiding an empire way too challenging, especially for the new players. Not to mention it would probably make the game's AI go crazy ;) And remaking game AI is always a lot of work.

(in reply to Tyrador)
Post #: 456
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/28/2013 11:05:01 PM   
Tyrador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kalthaniell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tyrador

quote:

It already has alliances, protectorates, policies, missions and different government styles Tyrador ;P
I agree however, that an enforced peace time after a truce has been signed would be a good improvement. Due to the war weariness mechanic one can find himself 'cheating the system' by negotiating peace with an enemy just to get rid of war weariness and than declare war immediately afterwards.
But my personal opinion is that political interaction in DW shouldn't get too complex. It might make guiding an empire way too challenging, especially for the new players. Not to mention it would probably make the game's AI go crazy ;) And remaking game AI is always a lot of work.

Alliances, protectorates, policies, missions and different government styles mechanic is totally different there from DW's. Especially policies, like centralization vs federalism, innovative vs narrowminded, quality vs quantity, serfdom/slavery vs free subjects and ect. And I was suggesting to make DW's features more similar to EU3's features, which may improve DW.
BUT! I agree that it is totally not worthwhile to do that!

< Message edited by Tyrador -- 2/28/2013 11:09:53 PM >

(in reply to Kalthaniell)
Post #: 457
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/28/2013 11:16:08 PM   
Bingeling

I never paid much attention to it, but enforced peace should not be the fix for war weariness, war weariness should take some time to disappear. Quite significant time after a gradual reduction.

One could imagine that what happens to it on a new war depends on how it was started. Being stabbed should maybe lower it a tad, declaring war could give it a boost.

Lots of the more annoying things (in my mind) are related to diplomacy too. Blockades and the way pirates works. It will be interesting to see if Shadows improves the pirate stuff a whole lot. Being a good guy just because you don't like pirates is silly.

(in reply to Tyrador)
Post #: 458
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 2/28/2013 11:49:38 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1
Take a DEEP breath TJ......Now BREATHE....you're going to be okay!

Deep breath; breathe; let go. Deep breath; breathe; let go. I sound like Darth Vader now...

Yeah, but this could like be really close to the SW universe... Deep breath; breathe; let go.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 459
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/2/2013 2:28:25 AM   
Tanaka

Hi Erik any chance for mine laying and mine sweeper ships in this last expansion? Would add another great strategy layer to defenses! Was a lot of fun in space empires 4. Actually there are a lot of great ideas from that game that would be a great addition!

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 460
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/2/2013 8:20:44 AM   
Antiscamp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

I never paid much attention to it, but enforced peace should not be the fix for war weariness, war weariness should take some time to disappear. Quite significant time after a gradual reduction.

One could imagine that what happens to it on a new war depends on how it was started. Being stabbed should maybe lower it a tad, declaring war could give it a boost.

Lots of the more annoying things (in my mind) are related to diplomacy too. Blockades and the way pirates works. It will be interesting to see if Shadows improves the pirate stuff a whole lot. Being a good guy just because you don't like pirates is silly.

Absolutely agree on this. I see empires going for peace just because their war weariness is killing them, and on the next day they DOW on me again.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 461
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/3/2013 12:34:20 PM   
martok

quote:

Some very good points, Ashbery. Would really like to see diplomacy work like you're describing.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 462
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/3/2013 1:25:26 PM   
Darkspire

Any chance of adding a tickbox for the Silvermist on the game setup alongside the space monsters?

I have never played with the story events and it would be good if there were the odd few of them existing with the story lines disabled.

Darkspire

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 463
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/3/2013 3:10:27 PM   
Bingeling

I am not sure if I read you right, but.

Silvermist does not rely on the story stuff. It requires disasters and space monsters.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 464
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/3/2013 3:27:53 PM   
Haree78

I'm pretty sure Bingeling has it bang on.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 465
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/3/2013 7:02:55 PM   
Darkspire

Thanks Bingeling and Haree. I knew it was one of those check boxes, the only one I ever have ticked is the one for racial victory, I knew it had something to do with something unrelated to space creatures (Space and Sand Slugs, Kaltor and Ardilus). Why is the Silvermist in with the disasters? I know from what I have read on here it can be rather hazardous to your empire but surely it is a space creature / monster?

I would still like to separate it from the disasters though and have a check box on the first setup screen with the monsters slider. At least give folks the option to have it in the game without disasters, ever since I submitted my own monster when Legends was being written I have been looking forward to a new creature and never seen one.

Darkspire

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 466
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/3/2013 7:59:18 PM   
Bingeling

Silvermist is quite a bit more than an average Ardilus. Considering them a disaster seems fair enough...

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 467
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/4/2013 7:42:27 AM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

Thanks Bingeling and Haree. I knew it was one of those check boxes, the only one I ever have ticked is the one for racial victory, I knew it had something to do with something unrelated to space creatures (Space and Sand Slugs, Kaltor and Ardilus). Why is the Silvermist in with the disasters? I know from what I have read on here it can be rather hazardous to your empire but surely it is a space creature / monster?

I would still like to separate it from the disasters though and have a check box on the first setup screen with the monsters slider. At least give folks the option to have it in the game without disasters, ever since I submitted my own monster when Legends was being written I have been looking forward to a new creature and never seen one.

Darkspire

Pretty sure you need only turn off one of disasters and space monsters to not have silvermist.

Edit: To put it more clearly - you will only get silvermists if you have both monsters and disasters turned on...

< Message edited by feelotraveller -- 3/4/2013 7:43:28 AM >

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 468
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/4/2013 12:09:47 PM   
martok

@feelotraveller: I think what Darkspire is saying is he would like for it to be possible to enable the Silvermist *without* needing to enable disasters as well. Personally, I would like to have this option too.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 469
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/4/2013 2:23:09 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: martok

@feelotraveller: I think what Darkspire is saying is he would like for it to be possible to enable the Silvermist *without* needing to enable disasters as well. Personally, I would like to have this option too.

That is what I meant, thank you

Have a tick box on the first game setup screen next to the monster slider so you can have the Silvermist enabled without needing the disasters enabled.

Darkspire

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 470
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/4/2013 10:33:33 PM   
martok

You're welcome, good sir.

I do think it's a good idea. I know from previous experience with other 4x games (but also including DW), that while I generally enjoy monster-related random events, I often don't care for the "disaster"-related ones.

I would love to be able to run into the Silvermist, without needing to deal with plagues and whatnot.

< Message edited by martok -- 3/4/2013 10:34:08 PM >

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 471
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/4/2013 10:46:01 PM   
Bingeling

Silvermist are a proper disasters. The other tend to just scroll past unless they happen in quiet times. "Yes indeed, a terraforming plant is probably a good idea".

If Silvermist are supposed to be a Legends surprise dish, a specific option may not be a good idea, though.

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 472
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/4/2013 11:04:35 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

Silvermist are a proper disasters. The other tend to just scroll past unless they happen in quiet times. "Yes indeed, a terraforming plant is probably a good idea".

If Silvermist are supposed to be a Legends surprise dish, a specific option may not be a good idea, though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wiki - Surprise

Surprise is a brief emotional state experienced as the result of an unexpected event.

I already know it is there! No surprise when I first heard about it when Legends was being written I thought it would be in with the current monsters, I know its a very bad event for one to turn up, and yes it would be a 'disaster' but I would still like the option to have it part of the galaxy without the other disasters being enabled.

Darkspire

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 473
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/5/2013 9:20:21 AM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wiki - Surprise

Surprise is a brief emotional state experienced as the result of an unexpected event.

I already know it is there! No surprise when I first heard about it when Legends was being written I thought it would be in with the current monsters, I know its a very bad event for one to turn up, and yes it would be a 'disaster' but I would still like the option to have it part of the galaxy without the other disasters being enabled.

Darkspire

Sorry for misunderstanding you before.

From memory the current check box situation came about because after requests that Silvermist be able to be turned off the initial solution was to lump them in with monsters, so you only got silvermists when space monsters appeared in the game. But then there were requests to have the monsters without having silvermists. The solution implemented was to tie them to disasters and monsters...

Personally I leave disasters and monsters on to spice up the game, and silvermists are the best spice.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 474
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/8/2013 9:18:46 AM   
HectorOfTroy

Stardrive beta is being released tomorrow, so you might start releasing some new info guys :).

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 475
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/8/2013 1:52:04 PM   
jesuswhywhy

there both fairly niche games in their own right.. beit one on steam lol

(in reply to HectorOfTroy)
Post #: 476
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/8/2013 1:53:26 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: jesuswhywhy

there both fairly niche games in their own right.. beit one on steam lol

Steam LOL is about right ...

Darkspire

(in reply to jesuswhywhy)
Post #: 477
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/8/2013 2:52:34 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: HectorOfTroy

Stardrive beta is being released tomorrow, so you might start releasing some new info guys :).

The Stardive guy has the wrong idea about promotion.The game would sell better if you did nothing at all like Matrix does.Leave it to divine will.

(in reply to HectorOfTroy)
Post #: 478
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/8/2013 4:09:37 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

The extended development schedule has pushed back the promotional schedule. Just because it's been pushed back doesn't mean that it won't happen. I'll post up another preview as soon as we have the next build. Elliot's in the process of moving house which has slowed things down a bit but we are in the final stretch.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 3/8/2013 4:10:49 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 479
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 3/8/2013 8:18:36 PM   
Kruos

Thanks Erik for the feedback. Can we hope a release in march? :p

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI