Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Restricted Units in Guadalcanal Scenario - I don't understand this

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Restricted Units in Guadalcanal Scenario - I don't understand this Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Restricted Units in Guadalcanal Scenario - I don't unde... - 2/28/2013 9:38:35 PM   
Wildhack

I just bought AE and thought I'd get warmed up to WitP once again with the Guadalcanal scenario. It was always my favorite in the original game. So I spend days plowing once more through the manual, update everything, open up Guadalcanal, and what ground troops do I have to play with? Two marine amphibious task forces already loaded up and targeted at Guadalcanal/Tulagi for me (thank you very much), 2 extra available base forces, one HQ....and that's it. The rest of what I take it were the historical units actually available during this period all marked as restricted. Apparently destined to sit on their REMF ends for the next six months in what I consider to be a massive over fortification of the South Pacific rear area and Australia.

- Yes I realize that I can use political points and change commands. But it looks like I can transfer about two platoons worth of combat troops and their support per month (30 PP point gain per day)?

- I'm to take it that Area Commands actually had no control over virtually 80% of their attached forces during the war? I'm sure there were some political restrictions in place - especially for the Australian homeland - but this seems excessive and unrealistic to me. And isn't the point of these games to place you in command anyway?

- Where are the troops to build up Port Moresby and capture Buna, Ley etc.? That was always a part of this campaign in the past (and historically). Not just a limited static defense of this area and Guadalcanal. I mean, what is the point of having all those AP's in Brisbane anyway? Just to stay docked in port as ornaments for half a year?

- And yes, I could use the scenario editor. But I just don't have the time or inclination to start building my own scenarios from the ground up. And I'd lose all surprise against the AI for my own pleasure by doing that anyway. What I expected was good scenarios to come pre-packaged with the game to begin with.

Well..., I'm obviously venting. Because if Guadalcanal is seeming to me like living in a Stalinist regime, I'm thinking that the rest of the packaged campaigns will be similar. And I'm about to bag this whole mess and quit. But I am basically a newb to WitP AE, and it may be me who's really the idiot here. That has happened before, heh. So if any of you want to tell me why I'm off base, I'd be interested in hearing it. Or perhaps tell me where I can find some campaigns which may be more suited to my tastes.

Thanks in advance.

Post #: 1
RE: Restricted Units in Guadalcanal Scenario - I don't ... - 2/28/2013 9:44:24 PM   
obvert

EDIT: Look at TFs. There are a lot loaded on TFs to start. Some Aussie brigades are also not restricted.

Go to the all units button on the top menu and check them out there, as it will show those on ships as well.

< Message edited by obvert -- 2/28/2013 9:53:27 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Wildhack)
Post #: 2
RE: Restricted Units in Guadalcanal Scenario - I don't ... - 2/28/2013 10:27:13 PM   
Wildhack

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

EDIT: Look at TFs. There are a lot loaded on TFs to start. Some Aussie brigades are also not restricted.

Go to the all units button on the top menu and check them out there, as it will show those on ships as well.

I did look. There are 3 non-restricted Aussie ground units with assault values in the scenario. One brigade in Port Moresby (A64), one on the trail to to Buna (A138), and one in Milne Bay (A130). That's it. And no new non restricted combat units, American or Aussie, scheduled to arrive for the six months the scenario is active. There are a total of 24 restricted Aussie/American units with assault values parked in Australia itself. Now of course that may be historically accurate, but I have my doubts....

The troops loaded on ships are all Marines, and do take Guadalcanal and Tulagi lickety-split (but then need to defend). The problem I have with the South Pacific Command is all the restricted units listed as "South Pacific Command Rear Area" that I cannot touch. Now again, maybe this is really historic. But it's teeing me off.

< Message edited by Wildhack -- 2/28/2013 10:28:48 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3
RE: Restricted Units in Guadalcanal Scenario - I don't ... - 2/28/2013 11:52:02 PM   
JeffroK

Wildhack

The games does recreate (fairly well) the restrictions of the time.

The Australian Army was a force just completing its mobilization and concentrating on home defence. The US Army/Marines were ensuring a frim base was built to support the operations.
This attitude led to forces garrisoning bases in Australia, Fiji, Noumea etc rather than being available for combat within the scope of the game.

For the Australian Army, IRL, you should have 7(A130), 14(A64) & 30(A138) Bdes from the Militia plus 18,19 & 25 AIF Bdes from 7th Division and 16 & 17 Bdes from 6th Division. (19 Bde was in Darwin)
(Could a few Corps units, 2/6th Armoured Rgt for one, available for deployment)

You might have to buy out some of these.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Wildhack)
Post #: 4
RE: Restricted Units in Guadalcanal Scenario - I don't ... - 3/1/2013 5:49:50 AM   
Oberst_Klink

Wildhack,

myself, 'growing' up with WitSP (SSI), Carrier Strike (SSI), PW (SSI) and finally WitP AE, the latter is, a challenge. In regards to the Guadalcanal scenario, which I have been playing against up to 6 (!!!) opponents at the same time, different sides, I found the restrictions in place add to the flavour and force the Allied player quite early in the game to think about his strategy.

What was the goal back then when Operation Watchtower started? Well, to secure Tulagi, Guadalcanal and in PNG to prevent the IJA to move overland to PM (as we know, the invasion in May 42 via sea was kinda not so successful). I found the ANZAC units not really up to the job; though I reinforce PM with 29th AUS Bde and perhaps the 11th AUS Bde. More important is to build PM up to PO(3) and AF(5). Milne Bay with one Bde of the 7th AUS Div should be OK and able to fend off even an attack by a full SNLF (which it did historically, too).

PP will soon start accumulating quickly and for the island campaign I activate the USN and AF ENG to enlarge Ndeni (if it's worth) and the other isles, as well as send Aviation Support to beef up the AF in Lunga. Granted, this all depends how your IJN opponent reacts, but even parts of the 2nd USMC Div can be activated and shipped out by October.

Just my 2p, ehm Euro cents :)

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Restricted Units in Guadalcanal Scenario - I don't understand this Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI