Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1939 Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Strategic War in Europe >> After Action Reports >> 1939 Campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1939 Campaign - 3/5/2013 5:33:16 PM   
blacksherman

Once I figured out how all the elements in the game interract, I decided to have a go as the Allies in the Quick Start mode. I am now at turn 37 and doing quite well. One thing I found out was that the British Aircraft Carriers are indispensable for spotting enemy convoys and raiders. It took about 6 turns and numerous convoy losses but was able to neutralize enemy activity in the Atlantic so now my convoys are getting through on a regular basis. Was also able to sink German convoys in the East Med zone which left the DAK unsupplied and helpless. The Italians have reinforced and managed to push me away from Tripoli and back towards Tobruk so we are at stalemate for now. The game is a lot of fun to play and I have had no serious issues with crashes. The AI is not predictable as in three games it has used three different approaches. After a few more practice games will be ready to try some PBEM. Good game guys and thank you.
Post #: 1
RE: 1939 Campaign - 3/6/2013 4:54:10 AM   
blacksherman

Situation: July 1942

The Axis now has control over 75% of Continental Europe including a huge chunk of the Soviet Union which I fear will capitulate at any time. The US and Ireland are in the war but under computer control. The Royal Navy is intact but weakened from months of struggle and is hard pressed to cover all the convoy routes. We have lost the Hood and two Cruisers plus both carriers have sustained major damage and have had to pull into port for repairs. In the Middle East we have Tobruk and have destroyed the unsupplied and helpless DAK and are now holding a line midway between Tobruk and Tripoli.

(in reply to blacksherman)
Post #: 2
RE: 1939 Campaign - 3/6/2013 5:19:25 AM   
blacksherman

Situation: Jan 1943

Spent a couple of turns building up the Canadian and Iraqi forces. Had some tough battles against the Finns in the Western Atlantic (they were killing the Canadian Convoys) but once again the Royal Navy prevailed. However, the Kreigsmarine returned with a vengence and they just couldn't miss. Lost the Repulse and the Furious was damaged once again and had to return to port. Meanwhile, in the Middle East I pushed the Italians back into Tripoli and reinforced Libya with a British and Canadian armored corps as well as a fighter group. I really thought that the Soviets were going to collapse so I declared war against the Vichy French which allowed the Iraqi's to seize Beirut allowing me to quickly reinforce my rear in that region. However, the Soviets have not collapsed and indeed, the Axis has made no more progress against them. Stupid me, I forgot about the strength of the French Navy and here they came steaming out in all their tri-color glory. What a blunder! I think I am in trouble at the moment and I fear my forces in the Middle East may soon become unsupplied and helpless. My main question at the moment: Where are the Americans??? HELP!!!

Post #: 3
RE: 1939 Campaign - 3/6/2013 5:08:19 PM   
TheFox

Ummm Sounds like you were having fun but the tables have turned.

Are you able to do screen shots as I'm new to this game but it sounds interesting.

Hope the US arrive soon as you sound as if all could be lost

Post #: 4
RE: 1939 Campaign - 3/6/2013 5:41:44 PM   
blacksherman

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do screenshots. I'm from the Dark Ages and still very much a neophyte when it comes to technology. Sorry.

(in reply to TheFox)
Post #: 5
RE: 1939 Campaign - 3/7/2013 1:24:26 AM   
Magpius

you need to download a small program called FRAPS

Post #: 6
RE: 1939 Campaign - 3/7/2013 4:13:50 AM   
blacksherman

Thanks Agent S, will look into it and see how it turns out.

MEANWHILE: June 1943

Seems like all of the world has gone to sleep. There has been no change on the Soviet Front. The Irish continue to dance around Dublin. The Americans seem content to build their strength but remain firmly on their own shore (maybe the Japanese are giving them a hard time). However, I am now in control of North Africa and the Mid East having captured Tripoli and Algiers. BUT...it is costing me an arm and a leg to support all the troops I have over there so now I am bringing most of the boys back home and leaving the defense of the region to one motorised corps, one Canadian corps and the Iraqis. Plan to spend the rest of the year in rebuilding if the Axis will leave me alone.

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 7
RE: 1939 Campaign - 3/7/2013 4:18:28 AM   
blacksherman

Oooops...almost forgot

THE SCORE:

AXIS: 147
ALLIES: 65
USSR: 14

Post #: 8
RE: 1939 Campaign - 3/9/2013 1:51:54 AM   
blacksherman

Sept 1944

The Americans have launched a two prong invasion, one in Norway and the other in France. I followed suit in France and after some bloody fighting managed to take Cherburg and Brest. It is now time to expand and move forward. On to Paris!! Am going to finish this game up and start another down the road. Will have but one more post on this poor attempt at an AAR. Thanks to the guidance of Agent S, when I play my next game, will have screen shots to post. See you guys in '45.

Post #: 9
RE: 1939 Campaign - 3/9/2013 10:08:54 PM   
blacksherman

Final Report: Jan 1945

Decided to make peace with the Axis and call it good. The Germans never did conquer Russia but the Russians could not mount any kind of an offensive to push them back. The Americans made good headway in Norway and managed to cut off and destroy and entire PZ Corps. In France it looked for a minute that we had an opportunity to cut off two Infantry Corps but alas, the Axis reinforced with troops from Italy and France. They also sent a Panzer Army from Stalingrad with 61 combat factors! That's right, 61! How did the Germans manage such a feat? Anyway, they sent the Army back to the East because I guess they figured it was not needed after all. After I saw that and after I looked over my pitiful little army I decided to call it quits in this one and chalk it up to experience. So, will return with a new game and a more respectful attitude towards HERR AI. This time (fingers crossed) hope to have sceenshots. Bye for now and thanks to all who read this.

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Strategic War in Europe >> After Action Reports >> 1939 Campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI