Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/10/2013 8:40:45 PM   
Rising-Sun

Can anyone guess it? I played vs. AI and realise it kinda ruin'in my gameplay and just noticed it just now. So i need to work on this project as soon as possible.

I dont think this was ever bought up by anyone i know of or seen any details on the forum. Again can anyone figure out what i am talking about??

Post #: 1
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/10/2013 10:03:31 PM   
Gunnulf

Its not actually real?

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 2
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 12:49:48 AM   
pws1225

Nope.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 3
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 12:53:32 AM   
dcpollay

I haven't found any flaws yet, but if it turns out there is one, that would explain all the complaining on the forum!

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 4
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 3:51:00 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Colonel Mustard

I haven't found any flaws yet, but if it turns out there is one, that would explain all the complaining on the forum!

Maybe that's the flaw he found?

Colonel Mustard in the Forum with the Complaint?!

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 5
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 6:08:02 AM   
crsutton

When I find a flaw you will be the first to know....

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 6
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 9:28:00 AM   
Rising-Sun

Okay i let you know what the situations is, awhile back i was looking into the Japanese aircraft factories and noticed some of them are incorrect. Couple months ago i though about playing vs. AI again (scen 1) and made it to Jan 1942, samn time Hong Kong fell. I got some popups saying the reinforcements have arrive in vary places. One landed in Wotje Island (Wotje Base Force), so that unit got a free ride all the way to the island without having to transport there.

Some places have barracks and training grounds, for example Regiment was form in Manila and that make sense as long they are Philipinos. There also air groups get placed in front line without having them form up in the mainlands and then transfer to XY locations.

I looked into the Allied Reinforcements, its not as bad as it look. But for the Imperial Japanese really need to be corrected somehow.

Here the screenshot...

The ships is okay for all sides.

< Message edited by RisingSun -- 3/11/2013 9:34:49 AM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 7
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 9:28:54 AM   
janh

It regularly causes cases of cold coffee when it get sucked in too deep into doing my turns. And it definitely lacks a quick order interface from the base screen to the next pizza service. Would that count?

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 8
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 9:47:03 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Oh, the old "unit teleporting" issue - can be changed with the editor.

My pet flaw is that ship crews do not need to eat > no supply consumption for ships (apart from ammo replenishing).

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 3/11/2013 9:52:58 AM >

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 9
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 9:57:03 AM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

My pet flaw is that ship crews do not need to eat > no supply consumption for ships (apart from ammo replenishing).

That what i am doing at the moment, also have another mod with more accurate Japanese Aircraft Factories. So i need to merge them and fix this so i can test it myself.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 10
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 10:20:28 AM   
Reg

quote:

I thought it was obvious. They just synthesize meals on demand in their replicators from the copious amount of organic fuel that is loaded on board whenever they make port. Must be true as I've seen them do it on USS Enterprise (NCC1701) on TV......

As for the Wotje Base force appearing in the middle of the pacific, how else can the scenario designer nudge the player along a reasonably historical timeline rather than just provide another reinforcement to be diverted to China!!

Just think of the deployment being arranged by some nameless bureaucrat in a tiny office somewhere using resources not modeled by the game, saving you the trouble of doing it yourself....

When you build a simulation, some abstraction is inevitable. The trick is to make it unnoticeable and used where the effects are unimportant.

< Message edited by Reg -- 3/11/2013 10:35:06 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Post #: 11
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 10:39:18 AM   
Itdepends

The biggest flaw playing the AI that is likely to affect your game play is the ability to reload a turn when it doesn't work out the way you want to (or is an unmitigated disaster).

In PBEM you pay for your mistakes, permanently.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 12
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 12:18:21 PM   
gradenko2k

quote:

To spare an already extremely involved game from even more concessions to "realism" that wouldn't significantly add gameplay nuance is not what I would consider a flaw so much as a saving grace!

Post #: 13
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 2:42:10 PM   
nashvillen

It is also difficult to take a restricted unit (assigned to the location it is to be in) and load it into a ship without having to pay PPs for that load then you would have to move it to the location needed or on a slow boat to China. Either way, it isn't arriving in the location in the condition it needs to be in for the political side of things. The transportation is just a kludge to take care of this.

It makes the game more playable, hence, more fun...

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 14
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 4:07:01 PM   
obvert

Where are the WASPS and the WAVES, and the Red Cross Ladys?

This game is definitely flawed!

Attachment (1)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 15
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 4:34:02 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

The biggest flaw playing the AI that is likely to affect your game play is the ability to reload a turn when it doesn't work out the way you want to (or is an unmitigated disaster).

In PBEM you pay for your mistakes, permanently.

Luckily it isn't necessary for the AI to pay for its mistakes permanantly.

I can and DO replay turns regularly to fix my opponents disasters.

Hans

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 16
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 5:16:34 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

quote:

To spare an already extremely involved game from even more concessions to "realism" that wouldn't significantly add gameplay nuance is not what I would consider a flaw so much as a saving grace!

Anything that helps reducing the overabundance of supplies and slowing the tempo of operations is fine with me. No additional player action whatsoever would be involved, apart from more efforts to keep supply levels at naval bases from going "red" and maybe to think twice before launching such "realistic" operations like invading Australia, India or the West Coast.

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 17
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 5:43:57 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Flaw? In terms of design, no. On the other hand, it is so geeky that even my own mother mocks me for playing it.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 18
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 6:51:19 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Where are the WASPS and the WAVES, and the Red Cross Ladys?

This game is definitely flawed!

There ARE a number of photo mods available which accomplish what you're after.

The Moose

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 19
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 7:06:32 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Flaw? In terms of design, no. On the other hand, it is so geeky that even my own mother mocks me for playing it.

My wife does the same. And she thinks that playing the game is cool compared to making little pixel pictures of aeroplanes and ships for the game. I'm hiding the shame from my parents!

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 20
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 10:04:33 PM   
linrom

This is not a flaw! You don't control all the aspects of the game. Who does? If you play as Japan, Imperial HQ. You don't control all the logistics in the game: production, replacements, reinforcements, supplies, resources and manpower as well as transport of units and leaders is not under your sole control. Leaders are also chosen by the IHQ. While you can have input, there is no guarantee that what you want will take place and change.

Units such as Wojte BF, were raised specifically to operate in Wojte. That's where IHQ will sent it. While most IJA and IJN units will need to embark in Japan, there are way too few units that IHQ handles their transfer to appropriate destination--there should be many more.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 21
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 10:11:43 PM   
panzer cat

My game play is the flaw..

(in reply to linrom)
Post #: 22
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 10:13:22 PM   
Don Bowen

My only flaw is that I have more than one flaw.

(in reply to panzer cat)
Post #: 23
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 10:36:47 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

My wife does the same. And she thinks that playing the game is cool compared to making little pixel pictures of aeroplanes and ships for the game. I'm hiding the shame from my parents!

+1

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 24
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 10:38:33 PM   
Skyros

quote:

Just like planes are fueled by supply, ships are supplied by fuel.

Post #: 25
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/11/2013 11:00:12 PM   
DivePac88

Here is a quick primer on the history on the Japanese occupation of Wojte Atoll;

The outbreak of the Second World War, Japan was gradually built a base forming part of the external defense of Japan. In addition, radio stations were built base for seaplanes land airport with two runways on takeoff length of 1052 meters and 1524 and two hangars with a technical background.

To defend the atoll was built firing positions for six 150 mm and six 127 mm guns. After the war began there have been more five coastal guns and six 150 mm 37 mm anti-tank cannons, along with about ninety light anti-aircraft guns and machine guns. In 1943, they were from the damaged ship Goyotsu Maru on strengthening coastal defense ship dismantled in two 120 mm cannons. The island was placed Wojte the radar for early warning against air attack near covering approximately 50 miles (80.5 km).

The crew gradually formed on the atoll in 2103 of Army and Navy, 766 civilian workers, under the command of Captain Nobukazu Yoshimi (of which survived the war only to 1244). The aircraft at the local airport gradually were two squadrons of torpedo bombers aircraft B5N Nakajima Kate and Ajči D3A Val bombers, Mitsubishi G3M Nell and Mitsubishi G4M Betty (they were used for patrol flights) and some eight hundred and first Flight possessing six to twelve seaplanes Kawaniši H6K , which gradually replaced Type Kawaniši H8K Emily .Now Emily flying boats bombed in the night from 4th to March 5th 1942 the island of Oahu.

So as you can see the way the game treats the build-up of Wojte Atoll, is not exactly historical. But in terms of the ground unit structure of the game, is a close proximation of what would been the basic starting structure of the Japanese base-force.

Attachment (1)

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 26
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/12/2013 12:44:54 AM   
JeffroK

Also, Some of these units are built up from the units already on location. Changes to TO&E could see the Machine Gun Companies removed from Battalions and a new Machine Gun Battalion formed in the same place.
You notice the new unit arriving but dont notice the subtraction from others.

PS. I'm sure WITPAE has a lot more flaws than this.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 27
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/12/2013 4:03:33 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Okay i let you know what the situations is, awhile back i was looking into the Japanese aircraft factories and noticed some of them are incorrect. Couple months ago i though about playing vs. AI again (scen 1) and made it to Jan 1942, samn time Hong Kong fell. I got some popups saying the reinforcements have arrive in vary places. One landed in Wotje Island (Wotje Base Force), so that unit got a free ride all the way to the island without having to transport there.

Some places have barracks and training grounds, for example Regiment was form in Manila and that make sense as long they are Philipinos. There also air groups get placed in front line without having them form up in the mainlands and then transfer to XY locations.

I looked into the Allied Reinforcements, its not as bad as it look. But for the Imperial Japanese really need to be corrected somehow.

Here the screenshot...

The ships is okay for all sides.

This was answered a long time ago, you'll have to search the threads. As I recall, and this may be off, is that these units are formed on those locations to assist the AI in getting bases properly setup. Maybe one of the devs will join in here and assist, but maybe not. Having answered this once, they may expect us to actually search for their original response.

Pax

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 28
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/12/2013 4:16:46 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

Here is a quick primer on the history on the Japanese occupation of Wojte Atoll;

The outbreak of the Second World War, Japan was gradually built a base forming part of the external defense of Japan. In addition, radio stations were built base for seaplanes land airport with two runways on takeoff length of 1052 meters and 1524 and two hangars with a technical background.

To defend the atoll was built firing positions for six 150 mm and six 127 mm guns. After the war began there have been more five coastal guns and six 150 mm 37 mm anti-tank cannons, along with about ninety light anti-aircraft guns and machine guns. In 1943, they were from the damaged ship Goyotsu Maru on strengthening coastal defense ship dismantled in two 120 mm cannons. The island was placed Wojte the radar for early warning against air attack near covering approximately 50 miles (80.5 km).

The crew gradually formed on the atoll in 2103 of Army and Navy, 766 civilian workers, under the command of Captain Nobukazu Yoshimi (of which survived the war only to 1244). The aircraft at the local airport gradually were two squadrons of torpedo bombers aircraft B5N Nakajima Kate and Ajèi D3A Val bombers, Mitsubishi G3M Nell and Mitsubishi G4M Betty (they were used for patrol flights) and some eight hundred and first Flight possessing six to twelve seaplanes Kawaniši H6K , which gradually replaced Type Kawaniši H8K Emily .Now Emily flying boats bombed in the night from 4th to March 5th 1942 the island of Oahu.

So as you can see the way the game treats the build-up of Wojte Atoll, is not exactly historical. But in terms of the ground unit structure of the game, is a close proximation of what would been the basic starting structure of the Japanese base-force.

The only game flaw I've found so far is that I don't have the attention span to read DivePac's post. I hope I didn't miss anything important. That reminds me, can anyone get Bullwinkle and Alfred to confine their answers to one or two sentences? Oh my, I'm now in my third sentence, somebody please stop me! Too late. I hope no one noticed that I can't count. I'll have to start a different thread for that.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 3/12/2013 4:21:31 AM >

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 29
RE: Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? - 3/12/2013 7:01:47 AM   
DivePac88

I feel the same about my own post, as most of it is from a translation of Japanese information. Which even though I have read several times myself, and still don't fully underestimated myself.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Have anyone noticed one flaw of WitP:AE? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI