Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Create Barge -> any use?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Create Barge -> any use? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Create Barge -> any use? - 4/9/2012 2:01:12 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Good morning, I have a question related to barges;
is creating barges of any use?

I have tried to find anything useful for them to do, but so far, my conclusion is, unless I have lost all my shipping, specifically AKLs, they are useless,

Range is only 3 hexes, which can be augmented by adding a PB to replenish at sea, , but the slow speed of 8kts + frequent stops will make any move, even between close island, really slow. But the main shortcoming is the limit of 25 barges per TF; this means that only really small units/ cargo can be moved

Post #: 1
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/9/2012 3:02:05 PM   
treespider

Depending on the mod...I use them on the west coast of Malaya and between the peninsula and Sumatra, prior to the fall of Singapore.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 2
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/9/2012 5:16:02 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

Good morning, I have a question related to barges;
is creating barges of any use?

I have tried to find anything useful for them to do, but so far, my conclusion is, unless I have lost all my shipping, specifically AKLs, they are useless,

Range is only 3 hexes, which can be augmented by adding a PB to replenish at sea, , but the slow speed of 8kts + frequent stops will make any move, even between close island, really slow. But the main shortcoming is the limit of 25 barges per TF; this means that only really small units/ cargo can be moved

If you just need an occasional convoy to a small island close to another base, these are very useful as they are completely expendable and you get a ton of them. Dribbles and dabbles, but stuff gets there after a while.

Post #: 3
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/9/2012 6:03:46 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

yes you are right, if there is a major threat to the communication line; a small AKL might be more effective but it will not survive any kind of attack; with 25 barges, at least some of the barges might get through destination;

But there are few places within the 3 hex fuel limit and I will not expend a PB as mothership; between AKLs and PBs; I think I will risk the former

For any safer areas, even the smallest AKLs is a lot better; and there are plenty of them

I also like the idea of creating barges in places outside the reach of the IJN (west Malaya before fall of Singapore)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/9/2012 8:26:32 PM   
crsutton

Our game is in mid 44 and my opponent has used them all the time. I have sunk a ton of em and they keep popping up. I would say that he has found them to be very useful.

As for the Allies, you just can't get enough of these useful craft. But they have better range than the Japanese barges.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 5
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/9/2012 10:23:56 PM   
Mike Solli

In the right situation, they are very useful, until the enemy catches them.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/9/2012 10:40:48 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

I think the trick is to understand that the the 3-hex range is irrelevant: for the first 3 hexes barges will move at 2-hex per turn; then it will run out of fuel and therefore move at 1-hex per turn (which is half its speed so no big deal). This as long as you previously set "Home Port" to the destination.

This means that it is potentially possible to move a barge TF from Tokyo to Ponape, as long as you are willing to accept that it will take more than 50 days to arrive to destination.

This obviously can be considered gamey and at the very least tremendously inneficient

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 7
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/9/2012 10:43:28 PM   
Mike Solli

I often use barges on one way missions. Once they arrive at their destination, I offload and then disband them.

Post #: 8
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/10/2012 12:49:46 PM   
BigBadWolf

quote:

I think the trick is to understand that the the 3-hex range is irrelevant: for the first 3 hexes barges will move at 2-hex per turn; then it will run out of fuel and therefore move at 1-hex per turn (which is half its speed so no big deal). This as long as you previously set "Home Port" to the destination.

This means that it is potentially possible to move a barge TF from Tokyo to Ponape, as long as you are willing to accept that it will take more than 50 days to arrive to destination.

This obviously can be considered gamey and at the very least tremendously inneficient

Nope. Once they are out of fuel, they will start picking up damage and eventually sink.

Post #: 9
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/10/2012 2:48:35 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

I didn't know, thanks!

I guess my dreams of moving the Guards Division by barges from Tokyo to Java are done

but I still will test how long they will survive; maybe not Tokyo to Ponape, but they might survive a one-way trip from Rabaul to Shortlands or Lunga

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 10
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/10/2012 2:50:51 PM   
nashvillen

They will and get back, but they will have 50+ sys damage on each. They fix quickly and can go again. I have tried to make a fuel TF and a supply TF out of them and then merge them and move them giving them extra fuel to go a little further, but they ran into some of those nasty PT boats before I could find out.

Post #: 11
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/10/2012 3:18:37 PM   
BigBadWolf

I tried sending a barge convoy once from the coast of Malaya to Port Blair. Not a single one made it :(

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 12
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/10/2012 3:23:11 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

It amazes me how detailed and accurate this game models even some minor aspects of the Pacific war

check
http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt09/barges.html

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 13
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/10/2012 3:27:16 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigBadWolf

I tried sending a barge convoy once from the coast of Malaya to Port Blair. Not a single one made it :(

Maybe because of deep vs shallow water?

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 14
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/10/2012 3:29:57 PM   
Historiker

quote:

It amazes me how detailed and accurate this game models even some minor aspects of the Pacific war

check
http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt09/barges.html

"A barge system capable of delivering three large barge loads per day is sufficient to supply rations for a Japanese triangular division of 18,000 men."

wow!

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

Post #: 15
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/10/2012 4:02:36 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Another point I just noticed;

"Barge" TF are limited to 25 ships, but by changing the mission to "Landing Craft" the limit changes to 100 barges; this can can be quite a lot of cargo space for moving troops, plus oilers are allowed in this TF

Edit: this afternoon I will test how far 99 barges+1 Kiso PB can go

< Message edited by Jorge_Stanbury -- 4/10/2012 4:46:56 PM >

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 16
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/10/2012 9:02:23 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigBadWolf

Victoria Point to Pt. Blair will work. They arrive with ~50% damage.

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 17
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/10/2012 9:07:23 PM   
nate25

They're useful in Solomons. Very short distances b/t some of those bases.

I have a subtle and cunning plan.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 18
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/12/2012 4:35:19 PM   
RogerJNeilson

I have never seen, as an Allied player, the option to create them, I had assumed they were merely a fiendish oriental device. Maybe the game is picking on me and refusing to let me have them and everyone else has them.... not that I'm getting paranoid or anything, oh no.........

Roger the..... ok that's enough of that joke.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 19
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/13/2012 1:30:23 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Allies got Landing Craft... but I don't think they can just "create" them from supplies (like PT boats or Japanese barges),

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 20
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/13/2012 1:33:11 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Allies got Landing Craft... but I don't think they can just "create" them from supplies (like PT boats or Japanese barges), but only whatever is in the inventory pool.
...I might be wrong

< Message edited by Jorge_Stanbury -- 4/13/2012 1:34:23 AM >

Post #: 21
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/13/2012 7:58:42 AM   
RogerJNeilson

Yes, I use landing craft a lot, but I have found there seems to be some restriction as to where the landing craft can be created..... seems to be very much an American monopoly. Commonwealth forces seem to have not discovered this transport type....

Roger

Post #: 22
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/13/2012 8:27:42 AM   
Alfred

The Allied player can most definitely create barges, just like he can create PTs, from supplies. See this thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2481133&mpage=1&key=create%2Cbarges�

The two relevant nationalities are American and Australian. Of course they also have to be in the pools.

Alfred

Post #: 23
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/13/2012 9:20:31 AM   
RogerJNeilson

Unless its a mod, see Treespider's post above....

I was intrigued by his comment on using them prior to the fall of Singapore.

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 24
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/13/2012 6:02:27 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

Roger

Playing as Japan, as soon as you capture Victory Point/ Alor Setar and have enough supplies there, you can create barges to cross the Malacca strait; and therefore can start invading Sumatra before Singapore falls

Post #: 25
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/13/2012 8:28:35 PM   
JWE

quote:

Unless its a mod, see Treespider's post above....

Roger

In the mods, we do get to play with things. Your typical Daihatsu had squat for specs, but it was configured to carry enough fuel, as cargo, to enable a 300nm movement. Certain mods make this possible by adding endurance (and fuel), while correspondingly reducing cargo capacity. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

There were three significant Japanese barge operations in the first several months of the conflict:

1. Battalion sized elements of the IJA Guards Div conducted coastal barge landing operations, in conjunction with the 3rd Shipping Eng Regt, from Kuala Kongsor to Port Swettenham, and thence to Batu Pahat, as a flanking force. This is the specific imperitive for the Malaysia map changes in Babes. To give that opportunity;

2. In North Borneo, Kawaguchi sent (then) Maj Watanabe with a short battalion element of 35th Brigade eastwards, from Miri to Sandakan, Labaun, etc., while the remainder of the Brigade moved westwards towards Kuching. This was the genesis of kawaguchi's love affair with barges, that led to;

3. The fateful barge movement of substantial portions of 35th Brigade, from Shortlands to Tassafaronga during the first phase of the Guadalcanal campaign.

Other significant barge supported operations were movement of reinforcements and supply from New Georgia to Lae (once the Allies precluded movement by ship), and redeployment of IJA assets along the coast of NG. By 2/43, over 50% of all IJA Shipping Eng assets were deployed to the Solomons/NG front. And don't forget, these guys were IJA, not IJN. Woof !!

Post #: 26
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/14/2012 5:38:56 PM   
bush

I thought I read a while back that when barges emptied their cargo they then "helped" unload other TFs. Anybody else see that or can verify?

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 27
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/14/2012 6:33:19 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

Roger

Playing as Japan, as soon as you capture Victory Point/ Alor Setar and have enough supplies there, you can create barges to cross the Malacca strait; and therefore can start invading Sumatra before Singapore falls

Thanks for this tip. In my first, fumbling try at playing Japan. Still stalled at Singers, but have the rest of the Malaysian west coast up to Moulmein. I had not noticed that button on Victoria Point. Useful.

The Moose

Post #: 28
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 4/14/2012 10:02:03 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: nate25

They're useful in Solomons. Very short distances b/t some of those bases.

Also in the PI area and on navigable rivers.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 29
RE: Create Barge -> any use? - 3/23/2013 4:55:53 PM   
bigred

In search for info I dusted off this tread....from time to time I note a transport TF of liberty ships arrive at some port and an option appears on the TF command screen--"create landing craft"..

most of the time this option is not available. What makes this option available?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bigred -- 3/23/2013 5:02:38 PM >

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Create Barge -> any use? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI