Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/26/2013 3:49:33 AM   
DivePac88

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

The old fashioned way. When I turned 18 my pappy took me downtown and spent $100 bucks and hired me a nice older hooker. Who then showed me all the ropes. Been playing ever since.....

My God man... be very careful with this behavior, especially with the ropes, as it can lead to blindness!

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 31
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/26/2013 4:09:54 AM   
Grfin Zeppelin

Reading Japanese AARs (thank you Mike Soli, Q-ball and Cuttlefish)
I had an idea what to do but not where to start and I am certainly not the only one who was grateful for all these templates Mike made.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 32
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/26/2013 6:14:26 AM   
rockmedic109

I found UV in a CompUSA store. Instantly knew it was a winner for me. Learned the basics on UV then got WITP as soon as it came out. Jumped right into the GC and played a month....or spent a month of game time learning. Then restarted {or started as the first game was simply learning}. Then I started CHS.

Then AE came out. Started playing GC. Then da babes came out and had to restart again.

Gonna have to start re-starters annonymous.

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 33
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/26/2013 8:05:10 AM   
Encircled

Played loads of board game while at school and university, but sort of drifted out of them in my twenties and early thirties.

Got War in the East, and then found this magnificent game from posts on the forum on there

Still learning every day, though I'm another who just dived into the GC and I've never played PBEM, though hope to some day

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 34
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/26/2013 12:04:44 PM   
LeeChard

quote:

The old fashioned way. When I turned 18 my pappy took me downtown and spent $100 bucks and hired me a nice older hooker. Who then showed me all the ropes. Been playing ever since.....

Good god man!! Don't you realize that kind of behavior can give you an STD(severe time drain)

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 35
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/26/2013 2:49:06 PM   
rockmedic109

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

quote:

Good god man!! Don't you realize that kind of behavior can give you an STD(severe time drain)

You're getting your STD's mixed up. That form of STD occurs when the patient marries the woman.

Excuse me, my times up...........................

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 36
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/26/2013 4:21:28 PM   
Schanilec

Well that didn't take long for this thread to jump into the gutter. I'm so proud of you guys, I...I...I...I'm feeling a tear welling up...Sniff.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 37
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/26/2013 10:22:26 PM   
a7v

Coming back to the topic I started to learn by playing "War in the South (West?) Pacific" on the C64 from a guy called Gary Grigsby. When "War in the Pacific " aka Pacwar came out I played it hundreds of hours on the PC. There was a vivid community during the late nineties, for example the pacwarlist or the gamers.net

When UV was announced I hardly could wait for the day it was published.

And then, then there was WITP

I must have "wasted" months of my life playing this game and its successor AE over the years and still I find new things every time I play, go to the forums or read some of the fantastic AARs in the Matrix forum.

Big thanks to Gary and all guys from Matrix

Rainer

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 38
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/26/2013 10:56:57 PM   
Numdydar

I started with UV, played a few turns as the Allies and just gave up (after I printed out a full color manaul which was pretty expensive back then ). Got WitP, played a few turns as the Allies (maybe throught Dec '41) in the GC. Again did not like it and gave up. Ditto for AE as well.

My best friend loved WitP playing the Allies but kept bitching about how bad the AI was. So I offered to play Japan in AE so he could get a good game. Almost 3 years later in RL we are in 9/44 . What is funny, I have learned more about what not to do as the Allies than I have about what not to do about Japan lol. This is not to say I have not learned anything about playing Japan , just that nothing Japan does really effects the outcome much, just whether you can last longer than they did historically. Wheee. But is is fun regardless in a mascosistic way (maybe that is why crsutton mentioned the ropes above ).

So basicly just jumped in the deep end and learned to swim as best I could

(in reply to a7v)
Post #: 39
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/27/2013 12:16:26 PM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 8:17:55 AM >

Post #: 40
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/27/2013 2:40:03 PM   
Alfred

DaBabes is a series of modified scenarios (more than 10 at last count). Whilst not official Matrix approved scenarios, they are produced by many of the people who produced AE. They serve as a testbed for code enhancements, many of which have subsequently been incorporated into the official scenarios.

Go to the Modders sub forum to find several threads which discuss DaBabes and to located their website.

Alfred

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 41
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/27/2013 2:50:41 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

quote:

quote:

You're getting your STD's mixed up. That form of STD occurs when the patient marries the woman.

To continue getting off subject... I don't think they're called STDs any more...I think the correct term is STI...

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

Post #: 42
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/27/2013 6:04:16 PM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 8:17:49 AM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 43
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/27/2013 6:37:35 PM   
Big B

I started in the 1980's with Gary Grigsby's War in the South Pacific for my Commodore 64, the Uncommon Valor in 2004, WitP in 2005, then helped with WitP/AE in 2008-2009.

Canoerebel said it best: "Easy to learn - difficult to master"

Attachment (1)

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 44
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/28/2013 10:26:01 AM   
98ZJUSMC

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

This game is humbling

To say the least. I am overwhelmed. Not sure I want to invest the time. This is a monster.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 45
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/28/2013 1:05:49 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: 98ZJUSMC

quote:

This game is humbling

To say the least. I am overwhelmed. Not sure I want to invest the time. This is a monster.

Well, when I say humbling, that is not a negative. You'll enjoy the learning process and there is no reason you can't have fun immediately, especially in one of the smaller scenarios. Just don't expect to get it all soon. If you like strategy games, and you like this era, you'll enjoy this game.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to 98ZJUSMC)
Post #: 46
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/28/2013 1:26:58 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

quote:

quote:

To continue getting off subject... I don't think they're called STDs any more...I think the correct term is STI...

Is that when they shoot down the missiles?

The Moose

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 47
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/28/2013 1:49:07 PM   
tigercub

Carrier strike Commodore 64....pacific war my 286 ..UV ..WITP...WITP-AE all when they came out ...the rest of my life flying around in planes taking photos for money then playing more war games reading about ww2 moved to Thailand so I would have more time to play wargames and drink beer don't talk about the woman LOL..

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 48
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/28/2013 2:28:39 PM   
littleike

+1.
When i heard about witpAE the first time someone said that was better to learn it starting with Witp so i bought it also, then some other said that it was better to learn it starting from Uncommon valor, so, again, i bought that also but frankly, when i read all the effort in this forum for the add ons and the tuning of witpAE to better and better simulate the reality i never looked back to his predecessors.

I played only a few of the easiest scenarios till now, waiting always for the final patch (will ever be a final patch? i doubt luckily) , reading and collecting everything in this forum that seemed to me relevant to better learn how to play. Sometime i started the game saying to me that i knew enough to begin a serious campaign but soon i read some posts speaking about some unfamiliar aspect of the game and it stopped me from beginning and restarted my effort to manage all the rules before proceed.

Sometime i start the game and then some question arise and let me go to search in internet to find if a statistic of the db is correct or to learn more of something i didn't know before and when i finish looking around often there is no more time to play.

Sometime i spend my time forming a convoy and then searching internet to find images of the real ships i have used so to represent me the real aspect of what it could be in the reality.

Sometime i restart all reinstalling game and java and all the utilities and the addons i can find so to have an immaculated final perfect installation with all the whistles and stuff. And every time i loose my time in these lucubrations somebody add some other thing to amend or to better tune this sim.

Someone could think that this mix of learning and trying and restarting and scanning could be frustrating but i could assure that i have never been more satisfied about this simulation.

So, i never ask me when i will master everything about this sim.
I enjoy every time i open the game or i read the forum and i learn something new about it.

PS: I am 65 years old so this aesthetic approach could be misunderstood by many young warriors who do not want to debate discover or investigate but only want to fight, fight and still fight.
And here is the magic aspect of this sim that can satisfy both. You can use it as you like and whenever player you will be i am sure you will be satisfied with it.

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 49
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/28/2013 4:59:20 PM   
98ZJUSMC

quote:

quote:

quote:

This game is humbling

Well, when I say humbling, that is not a negative. You'll enjoy the learning process and there is no reason you can't have fun immediately, especially in one of the smaller scenarios. Just don't expect to get it all soon. If you like strategy games, and you like this era, you'll enjoy this game.

Yeah, I don't really mean it in a complete negative either. My computer wargamming was previously restricted to the old SSI Pacific War (which I have loved since '92) and I was kind of hoping for a more detailed version of that. This of course is, but this is ridiculously minutely detailed.

Since I'm just now wading into it, (like wading into the beach at Tarawa under intense fire) I'm going to plod on and learn it. There's just so much stuff to miss. This is like jumping into differential calculus after finishing fractions in third grade.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 50
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/28/2013 5:01:44 PM   
Sardaukar

It can be intimidating, but there are some tutorials etc.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to 98ZJUSMC)
Post #: 51
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/28/2013 5:06:24 PM   
98ZJUSMC

quote:

ORIGINAL: littleike
Sometime i spend my time forming a convoy and then searching internet to find images of the real ships i have used so to represent me the real aspect of what it could be in the reality.

Heh! You're not the only one. I go to Wikipedia and numerous other sites checking out the individual ships, after a few turns.

(in reply to littleike)
Post #: 52
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/28/2013 5:10:46 PM   
98ZJUSMC

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

I usually skip them, but they are required here. Thanks!

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 53
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/28/2013 5:17:58 PM   
Skyros

Board Games starting in 1970, picked up Warship in the late 80s, which led to Carrier Strike and Pacwar. Moved on to WITP when it came out, played many AI and PBEM. Helped out with the Manual for WITPAE and have played about 2 PBEMs since it came out. Just finished one where IJN economy collapsed in early 44. This forum and trial and error is how I learned, a lot of error!

(in reply to 98ZJUSMC)
Post #: 54
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/28/2013 5:34:57 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

quote:

Definitely check these:

https://sites.google.com/site/n01487477/

From our own n01487477.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 3/28/2013 5:37:27 PM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to 98ZJUSMC)
Post #: 55
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/28/2013 6:13:46 PM   
98ZJUSMC

quote:

quote:

quote:

Definitely check these:

https://sites.google.com/site/n01487477/

From our own n01487477.

Perfect, thank you. WITPAE for Dummies!

< Message edited by 98ZJUSMC -- 3/28/2013 6:14:13 PM >

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 56
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/31/2013 2:34:51 AM   
topeverest

Canoerebel,

Thanks for the comments, I am in acquisition / transaction finance, and unfortunately, RL gets WAY in the way of my crack ... err ... AE habit. one day I will be able to hang up my excel and all the SPA's of the world, but that aint any time soon. Until then I will steal what time i can when I can.

Andy M

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 57
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/31/2013 12:53:40 PM   
LeeChard

My earliest memories are of agame called Bismarck and Midway both AH games and some wooden ships game that had small model ships that had sail/masts that when you got a hit you had to remove them. Very cool when your ten years old.
All of this would be in the early 60's

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 58
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/31/2013 2:07:14 PM   
Raverdave

Started with UV back in the day.....was a beta tester for WITP and now playing AE......still learning even today. It's been awhile
E since I have been around here on the forum.........so many of the old crew are now AWOL......Drongo, Brady, Mog, Muzrub....but still good to see some of the old guard still here.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 59
RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? - 3/31/2013 3:48:50 PM   
Cap Mandrake

CR is right. If you are guided by common sense and some knowledge of the Pacific War, there is quite a bit you will already know.

For example, a BB is a battleship...battleships have big guns...ergo you won't be able to reload the thing at a speck of coral with a 25 foot dock.

You will know instinctively you cant put 80 ships in a carrier task force or operate B-17's from a taro patch.

The game is so long you can also learn as you go just like commanders did in real life. A couple of days of sending unescorted medium bombers against a target with a CAP (combat air patrol) and you will stop doing that.

Some things will absolutely require some preparation--

--composing an efficient amphibious task force

--knowing when you have an advantage or an even shot in a carrier battle

--the Japanese economy

--what to tell your wife so you can go hide in the man cave

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: How Did You Learn to Play the Game? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI