Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

European Version of WiTP

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> European Version of WiTP Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 12:12:33 AM   
Gwaltney

What game is the complexity or similar as WiTP for the European campaign?
Thanks,
Post #: 1
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 12:15:30 AM   
Terminus

None.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Gwaltney)
Post #: 2
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 12:44:48 AM   
wdolson

There isn't much. I've heard War in the East is pretty large scale, but it's also probably somewhat different. I don't have it, so I don't know for sure.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 12:56:24 AM   
Gwaltney

That is what I thought reading the descriptions, etc.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 1:33:15 AM   
Terminus

WitE is a fine game, but it has no naval component, and therefore is not as complex.

(in reply to Gwaltney)
Post #: 5
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 2:35:14 AM   
kevin_hx

There are 2 mods about European campiagn of WITP.
War in The Mediterranean
War in Russia

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 6
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 8:03:35 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

War in the East should be the closest, and to be fair, the naval component is not really needed for an Eastern front wargame.

I bought the game recently but I have never played it (yet) too busy with work, extended weeks of business travel and obviously WitP-AE to put any effort into it

For what I have skimmed from the manual, it seems to be a very high scale game, with obvious focus on land warfare and probably better land logistics (like railroads, etc).

It is the same author (Gary Grigsby) and therefore you can probably expect the same obsession with micro-management and details

(in reply to kevin_hx)
Post #: 7
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 9:47:08 AM   
Terminus

Grigsby had nothing to do with AE.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 8
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 9:59:03 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

he is credited for "uncommon valor" and the first WitP

that said, I have never played either game (only WitP-AE) so I cannot assess how much of it is originally coming from him

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 9
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 11:13:08 AM   
Terminus

I repeat, Grigsby had no involvement in AE.

Post #: 10
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 11:14:35 AM   
Terminus

And a naval component is most certainly not "irrelevant" for the Eastern Front... *cough*Black Sea*cough*Baltic Sea*cough*

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 11
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 11:23:29 AM   
Speedysteve

From playing both AE and WITE extensively I can say there isn't an equivalent European AE game. The combat details under the hood are complex in both but WITE lacks the logistical and air war detail

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 12
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 11:23:38 AM   
tigercub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Grigsby had nothing to do with AE.

why its better

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 13
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 11:37:40 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

quote:

I repeat, Grigsby had no involvement in AE.

I was not implying he was part of AE; just that AE is an expansion, improvement of "his" game WitP/ uncommon valor.

Regarding naval war in the east front; maybe irrelevant was not the right word, but in game term perspectives, it is not the "meat" of the game, as long as it is abstracted somehow, I am fine with it.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 14
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 12:41:05 PM   
m10bob

I would also like to see the European theatre portrayed at this scale, but especially when including the African campaign it would be on a vastly smaller, less involved scale of activity until after D Day. I would still play it, but WITP-AE is full, rich, and involved from Pearl Harbor on...........

Post #: 15
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 12:47:31 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

WitE is a fine game, but it has no naval component, and therefore is not as complex.

It isn't because it isn't as complex that causes it to fail to be a European Campaign equivalent of WITPAE.

It is the fact that it represents only a portion of the overall European theater that causes it to fail to be an equivalent.

Having cut my teeth on 20+ years of boardgaming before moving to computer games I played many grand strategic board games of both theaters.

I have yet to find a grand strategic computer game of the European theater with any real degree of complexity and detail. Almost all of them are oversimplified games with little appeal. I do truly long for a European theater game as complex and richly detailed as this game.

Hans

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 16
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 1:42:03 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

I would also like to see the European theatre portrayed at this scale, but especially when including the African campaign it would be on a vastly smaller, less involved scale of activity until after D Day. I would still play it, but WITP-AE is full, rich, and involved from Pearl Harbor on...........

An AE scale game that focuses primarily on Western Europe would have to have very robust modeling of the strategic bombing campaign. Without it, the game has frenetic activity in 1940 followed by four years of very little as the Americans build up starting in 1942.

A complete game that covers from central Russia to Iceland and North Africa to the Arctic Circle would have something going on for most of the war, though the period of agony for the Allies would last longer. The North Africa campaign dragged on for around 2 years before El Alamein changed the balance in the Allies favor. The war in Russia turned pretty much permanently after Stalingrad, but they won a major fight during the first winter with the Battle of Moscow.

You could do an interesting triphibious game with the u-boat campaign modeled as well as the strategic air campaign and land war modeled. I think I'd want to start over with a new game engine though. I think the only way that's going to happen is paying a handful of programmers to do it. I have too many irons in the fire to do anything more than dream about it.

Bill

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 17
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 2:00:50 PM   
gradenko2k

WITE isn't that comparable to WITP, but the lack of a naval component is hardly a leading cause as to why.

On a different note, just because Gary Grigsby never actually worked on AE doesn't mean he had absolutely nothing to do with it. The name itself says that it's just another EDITION of Grigsby's War in the Pacific. I'm not trying to lessen the contributions of the good people at Henderson Field any, but let's not get tangled up in pedantics.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 18
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 2:23:46 PM   
tigercub

I not going to claim its the bees knees Hans but Hearts of Iron 3 with The finest Hour mod is a very good MP grand strategic much better than when it first came out!

Tigercub

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 19
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 3:35:51 PM   
dazoline II

I'm guessing not many of you have read this: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3051557

It's 2 by 3s successor to WITE called strangely enough WITW, with plans to expand it to cover the entire theatre eventually. For those that know about WITE the air war and weather are getting major work for WITW but I'm not sure about the naval aspects. I'm wondering if naval will be the major focus once they concentrate on the entire theatre.

Moscow by winter? Only if you send Fast Heinz to Kiev.

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 20
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 3:39:58 PM   
Terminus

Oh, I should think EVERYBODY has seen that...

(in reply to dazoline II)
Post #: 21
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 4:54:27 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: tigercub

I not going to claim its the bees knees Hans but Hearts of Iron 3 with The finest Hour mod is a very good MP grand strategic much better than when it first came out!

Tigercub

Played HOI 1 and 2 extensively, but never tried 3.

The biggest problem I had with HOI was instantaneous loading of troops on ships.

In a real time (continuous play) game you could load an entire invasion convoy in 1 minute (or whatever the shortest time increment was as it was too long ago that I played it to be able to remember) and it shipped out one minute (time increment) later.

Otherwise it was an enjoyable game, especially the research aspect.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 4/3/2013 4:55:16 PM >

Hans

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 22
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 5:50:22 PM   
bigred

Dali has been working on a Euro mod found in the mod section. Seems the German boys are hard at work on the issue...which will be too bad for allied armor.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2989233

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 23
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 7:13:42 PM   
tigercub

its vastly better now in many ways!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 24
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/3/2013 9:54:44 PM   
Canoerebel

As far as I know, Global War 2000 (a poorly named combination of two great Avalon Hill war games, Advanced Third Reich and Empire of the Rising sun) is far and away the greatest grand strategic WWII game covering all theaters. Advanced Third Reich was a beloved and matchless game of the European Theater. ERS wasn't quite as well received, but I played it and enjoyed it very much. If somebody created a computer version of Global War 2000 (but change the name for goodness sakes!), I'd play it in a heartbeat. That's the only thing I can imagine that might give AE a run for the money. (World in Flames - or whatever it's called - not a chance.)

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 25
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/4/2013 1:49:17 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

The scale of a game covering the entire European theatre (including N Africa) should be daunting... unless it is done with a lot of abstraction (like HOI series)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 26
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/4/2013 2:05:46 AM   
wdolson

I think most people find AE daunting. I think we're talking about another game for the masochist gamers.

Bill

Post #: 27
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/4/2013 9:08:57 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

An AE scale game that focuses primarily on Western Europe would have to have very robust modeling of the strategic bombing campaign. Without it, the game has frenetic activity in 1940 followed by four years of very little as the Americans build up starting in 1942.

A complete game that covers from central Russia to Iceland and North Africa to the Arctic Circle would have something going on for most of the war, though the period of agony for the Allies would last longer. The North Africa campaign dragged on for around 2 years before El Alamein changed the balance in the Allies favor. The war in Russia turned pretty much permanently after Stalingrad, but they won a major fight during the first winter with the Battle of Moscow.

You could do an interesting triphibious game with the u-boat campaign modeled as well as the strategic air campaign and land war modeled. I think I'd want to start over with a new game engine though. I think the only way that's going to happen is paying a handful of programmers to do it. I have too many irons in the fire to do anything more than dream about it.

Bill

Agreed, you couldn't use WitPAE engine it's model of land combat is not very good and there is no proper command structure throughout the game. These two thing are the only drawback about AE and considering the European war was, and don't shoot me, predominently a land war critically important.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 28
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/4/2013 12:39:30 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

As far as I know, Global War 2000 (a poorly named combination of two great Avalon Hill war games, Advanced Third Reich and Empire of the Rising sun) is far and away the greatest grand strategic WWII game covering all theaters. Advanced Third Reich was a beloved and matchless game of the European Theater. ERS wasn't quite as well received, but I played it and enjoyed it very much. If somebody created a computer version of Global War 2000 (but change the name for goodness sakes!), I'd play it in a heartbeat. That's the only thing I can imagine that might give AE a run for the money. (World in Flames - or whatever it's called - not a chance.)

Third Reich was the "go to ' game for me and my local group of wargame buddies for well over 15 years. We played all editions and eventually participated in the design of ATR. Mine is the last name in the design credits under playtesters.

ETO (European Theater of Operations and PTO (Pacific Theater of Operations) were also fine games that received a large amount of playing time with my group.

Hans

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 29
RE: European Version of WiTP - 4/4/2013 12:44:29 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I think most people find AE daunting. I think we're talking about another game for the masochist gamers.

Bill

AKA UltraGrognards

Posession of all but one of the Europa series games qualifies me if nothing else.

The combination of the Fire in the East and Scortched Earth maps took up most of a one car garage on a custom built plywood table.

It's sometimes hard to fathom just how many tens of thousands of cardboard counters I corner clipped. I shudder to think how many I clipped with an xacto knife before some one clued me in to the preferred technique of using nail clippers.

Hans

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> European Version of WiTP Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI