Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

EIA vs NIE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> EIA vs NIE Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
EIA vs NIE - 12/31/2002 8:34:30 PM   
Link

Hi all,
I dont' usually play board games since it's really hard to find oponents. My hopes are that they soner or later will be converted to PC games.

Eagle Games have come up with "Napoleon in Europe" which looks interesting. It looks simular to Axis & Allies which is the best strategy game that I have played so far even though WWII isn't my favorite war, Napoleonic wars is.

Have anyone of you played both "Empire at Arms" and "Napoleon in Europe"? It would be interesting to know the difference between them and what the ups and downs are.

/Lars L.
Post #: 1
- 1/1/2003 12:08:45 AM   
jnier

Lars,

I have not played NIE, but I have heard very good things about it. If I could find oppenents for it I would probably give it a try myself.

NIE is obviously a much simpler and more playable game than EIA - and since you like Axis and Allies I would guess that you would enjoy NIE.

You might also want to consider GMT's Napoleonic Wars. This game is also a strategic level game that covers the same era as NIE and EIA and has received very favorable reviews.

But I'm going to be holding out for EIA!

Jason

(in reply to Link)
Post #: 2
- 1/1/2003 7:51:53 AM   
Link

Jason,
What is GMT's Napoleonic Wars? I've never come across it on the web so I assume it is a board game, right?

/Lars L.

(in reply to Link)
Post #: 3
EIA & NIE - 1/1/2003 9:13:02 AM   
mars

Hi All,
Having played EIA and just bought NIE I can tell you that EIA is a much more indepth style game. However this is not to say that NIE is a bad game, on the contrary it actually looks to be a lot of fun, it has a lot of good rules and is relatively simple to play. So if you are after playing an entire campaign with lots of options I would play EIA if you are after something that can be played in a few sessions then get NIE.

(in reply to Link)
Post #: 4
GMT Games - 1/1/2003 1:47:31 PM   
VictorH

Yes Napolenic Wars by GMT is a board game, a VERY GOOD boardgame to! GMT has a number of excellent boardgames, they are one of the better publishers. Include Clash of Arms, Decision Games and Multi-Man Publishing in that category too. Wish I had more time to play games!!

(in reply to Link)
Post #: 5
- 1/1/2003 7:12:04 PM   
Link

OK, thanks.
I have two more questions:

1) How are the battles resolved in EIA?

2) Do GMT have a web site and if so what is the URL address?

/Lars L.

(in reply to Link)
Post #: 6
- 1/2/2003 12:35:50 AM   
pasternakski

[url]www.gmtgames.com/[/url]

Napoleonic Wars is pretty good for multi-player beer-and-pretzels gaming. It relies on a card-driven system to provide uncertainty and "fof of war." This system, as you will see on the Web site, has been used several times, with modifications, to simulate such subjects as World War I in Europe and the French Indian wars.

It is a fun game, but its simplicity leaves me unsatisified. Besides, if I want to play cards, I break out the Bicycles, call over the troops, and fire up a good session of bridge, pinochle, euchre, or poker.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Link)
Post #: 7
- 1/2/2003 7:30:17 PM   
Hoplosternum

I now have both games but have only played EiA against other people. I know they cover the same period but they are not really comparable. Comparing the too is a bit like comparing Axis and Allies to World in Flames or at least Third Reich, although this may be being a little harsh - EiA is considerably 'lighter' than WiF IMHO and NIE seems more involved than A&A.

Having said that I like the advanced rules of NIE, especially for the combat. This is more detailed than Axis and Allies and in fact appears to have quite a lot of tactics in. The battle field is divided into a centre, right and left wing. Each of these columns have a defenders side, attackers and a middle bit. There are two reserve areas at the rear of the defenders and attackers areas. You can move to any adjacent area in your move etc. Different types of troops defend and attack different units at various strengths. You can also change formations for infantry and some units can chose to either use shock or fire attacks. If you clear a lane/column of all enemies you win the battle immediately and can pursue (cavalry is important here). Initial set up is simultaneous and hidden from your opponent. So it is far more involved than the chit picks for EiA and because there are a lot of dice rolls for each battle it is less reliant on critical luck than EiA.

Of course it may be that certain units are too powerful or too weak I have not played against others so cannot really tell. Defence also seems to have a strong advantage in battle, or at least the side which does not try and cross the battlefield has the advantage whether they initialted the combat or not. It also appears to be quite difficult to a) force an enemy to fight if he has cavalry and b) recover from a bad defeat. Still I am looking forward to trying it.

(in reply to Link)
Post #: 8
- 1/4/2003 9:40:32 AM   
Snigbert

JNIER - I suffer from the same lack of boardgame opponents. However, I only live an hour or so from Mystic, I think. I'd run out and buy a copy of NIE if I could find an opponent :)

(in reply to Link)
Post #: 9
- 1/5/2003 8:19:12 AM   
jnier

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snigbert
[B]JNIER - I suffer from the same lack of boardgame opponents. However, I only live an hour or so from Mystic, I think. I'd run out and buy a copy of NIE if I could find an opponent :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Snigbert,

I defintately up for a board gaming oppenent, but unfortunately I'm ridiculously busy right now (I'm getting married and remodeling my house over the next few months). I'd be psyched to play face-to-face opponents this summer (I'm a college teacher, so things are less hectic then). So if you can wait a few months, count me in for NIE, EIA, War and Peace, Napoleonic Wars or whatever!

And if you can't wait until summer I'd be up for some PBEM in the meantime. Are you a Computer Third Reich or Computer War in Europe player? Those are easily playable over email and would satisfy my stragetic wargame fix (so would lots of other games - I'm flexible).

Anyways let me know what you'd be up for and sorry for not being able to play face-to-face.

Jason

(in reply to Link)
Post #: 10
- 1/5/2003 10:06:20 AM   
Snigbert

I dont have either of those computer games you mentioned but I'd be happy to wait until a better time for you. I actually live 20 minutes south of Worcester so it isnt quite so far. About 5 minutes from Thompson CT.
I'm in the process of getting better from a case of bone cancer so by this summer I should be 100% again. Plus that will give me time to pick up a copy of NIE and study the rules.

My email is [email]Snigbert@cs.com[/email]
Feel free to drop me a line whenever you get some free time.

(in reply to Link)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> EIA vs NIE Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI