Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/6/2013 1:12:53 PM   
Modest

All that has been posted and said looks great :) Especially planetary invasions looks promissing now :) And mostly for me the landing part (G.H. Wells "War of the Worlds" and "missile landing" comes alive in my memories). And idea to be able to shoot landing troops down before they will land sounds great for me :) But I have seen (or to be more precise, I have not seen) one thing. There is minimum troops on a planet regardles of how big is a colony. But there is no max troops for colony, and I have hoped to have thing like it, more than minimum number. So... I have two questions about it:
1. Is it going to be implemented?
2. If answer on first question is negative, than what will be outcome if I will set minimum troops for colony to 4, and at the same time I will make ridiculusly big demand on colony size to start producing troops (so big that there is no planet which could fufile them)? As minimum troops is overruling colony size demand, does it mean I can use it to actually create maximum number of troops?

Thank You for Your answers from advance!

(in reply to Velihopea)
Post #: 601
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/6/2013 2:21:53 PM   
Tampa_Gamer

Appreciate all the questions/information being answered.

Can we have some information as to what modding changes are made? I know the next expansion after this one was slotted to concentrate on modding love, but there were also some references to some changes for this one. I hope at the very least that any file placed in the theme folder will now override its corresponding default files. This would avoid us having to mod a combination of our custom theme as well as default files even for minor graphic replacements and leave the default files "pure" to avoid problems/conflicts with with future updates/patches.

For those interested, forum thread link to post with a master list of all my DW mods: Link

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 602
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/6/2013 8:43:25 PM   
Xmudder

If an Empire wants a certain resource, can the "pirate" factions build mining bases to harvest and sell, or do they buy and sell, or do they steal from A and sell to B?
Can a normal empire raid it's neighbors for resources they need?

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 603
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/7/2013 11:34:14 AM   
Ranbir

I have a question; how frequent are pirate to regular empire transitions?

I like that they can end up becoming empires but is it a naturally end point or only if a lot of stars align? In the case of AI, what determines if they will go for that transition?

"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz

(in reply to Xmudder)
Post #: 604
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/7/2013 3:40:25 PM   
Cauldyth

Previously, Erik has said that it's a difficult process. I wouldn't expect to see it happen every often, particularly for AI players.

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 605
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/10/2013 7:29:28 PM   
Tyrador

Erik, will the population policy in Shadows apply for the each race?

So that for example i would like to enslave only attuks, but not all other races?

Thank you

< Message edited by Tyrador -- 4/17/2013 7:43:37 PM >

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 606
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/10/2013 7:33:23 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tyrador

Erik, will the population policy in Shadows apply for the each race?

So that for example i would like to enslave only attuks, but not all other races?

Thank you

Hope so but I doubt it.A list of undocumented improvements would be nice.

(in reply to Tyrador)
Post #: 607
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/10/2013 9:43:41 PM   
jpwrunyan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

A view of the updated troop screen, which now supports multi-select and more sortable options and filters for easy troop management.

I'm so... happy! <sniff>

But please, answer Tyrador's question about race policy.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 608
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/12/2013 3:51:06 PM   
republicofpepsi

I know it is annoying to ask, but I can't help myself. Are we still looking towards an April release date? If its not April, is it too late to apply to be in the Beta?

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 609
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/15/2013 2:14:44 AM   
Hetulik

Hi Eric,
I'm interested to know a bit more about the new 'comprehensive difficulty settings' that will be coming as part of Shadows.

Excited about the expansion.
Thanks!

(in reply to Modest)
Post #: 610
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/16/2013 9:41:27 AM   
Webbco

What with Shadows coming out soon, I'm still surprised that DW is still very much under the radar. StarDrive has just received a hands-on preview over at PC Gamer as well as TotalBiscuit doing a WTF is preview and that game was also developed by a one-man team.

For a space 4X game that seems to be deeper than StarDrive in many ways, how come DW hasn't had anywhere near the same amount of attention than that of it's contemporaries? I say this simply because Distant Worlds is a game I have played more than any other in the last 2 years or so (albeit very on-and-off!) and I think it deserves more attention.

In the previews for StarDrive, people are asking about whether it will be more like SPAZ or Endless Space, or even Sins of A Solar Empire...and all the while I'm thinking...why isn't DW getting a mention? It's just not on anyones radar and that seriously needs to change IMO.

(in reply to Hetulik)
Post #: 611
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/16/2013 10:56:11 AM   
Tyrador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

What with Shadows coming out soon, I'm still surprised that DW is still very much under the radar. StarDrive has just received a hands-on preview over at PC Gamer as well as TotalBiscuit doing a WTF is preview and that game was also developed by a one-man team.

For a space 4X game that seems to be deeper than StarDrive in many ways, how come DW hasn't had anywhere near the same amount of attention than that of it's contemporaries? I say this simply because Distant Worlds is a game I have played more than any other in the last 2 years or so (albeit very on-and-off!) and I think it deserves more attention.

In the previews for StarDrive, people are asking about whether it will be more like SPAZ or Endless Space, or even Sins of A Solar Empire...and all the while I'm thinking...why isn't DW getting a mention? It's just not on anyones radar and that seriously needs to change IMO.

Yes, you have a great point!

Presentation and Marketing, just compare how this forum looks to the forum of SD. It is all about how the game is wrapped, DW needs much louder name, cover and cool 3d graphics to get to the same attention as SD. The previous must make you ave inspired with lot of cool videos and clips, like flash battles scenes with epic music, not just some screenshots. Better alien graphics as well, these aliens are too cartoon-like.

To me it is not a suprise that SD gets more attention than DW, which is a shame giving the enormous potential of the game and how easy it is to improve graphics. Hopefully Shadows will be much more polished in terms of graphics than it's predecessors, but looking at previous screenshots it seems there is no much progress.

The Devs need shock therapy, to see how much potential is wasted. They could turn this product into cash-cow easily.

< Message edited by Tyrador -- 4/17/2013 7:43:28 PM >

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 612
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/16/2013 12:00:27 PM   
hewwo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tyrador

Presentation and Marketing, just compare how this forum looks to the forum of SD. It is all about how the game is wrapped, DW needs much louder name, cover and cool 3d graphics to get to the same attention as SD. The previous must make you ave inspired with lot of cool videos and clips, like flash battles scenes with epic music, not just some screenshots. Better alien graphics as well, these aliens are too cartoon-like.

Yeah, I love the game being in 2d but it should really get a face-lift GUI wise. Retro can still look great, just look at all those iOS games coming out. At first I thought the devs just didn't have the resources to do a proper interface, but then I saw the proposed ground battle interface and now I'm thinking they just have no clue what they're doing I have a couple of friends who work as designers, so I know how much work it is to get it right.

Eric: just hire someone to find a pretty GUI colour combination, a new font and some real racial art! No shame in that! Check out Armageddon Empires for a game with amazing art btw.

(in reply to Tyrador)
Post #: 613
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/16/2013 3:24:05 PM   
republicofpepsi

I believe Matrix or Codeforce should reach out to RockPaperShotgun.com. The audience of that site is right in the Distant Worlds target audience. The last thing I see on RPS is Distant Worlds Legends from 2011. Maybe if they had a review copy or Shadows beta it would help promote Distant Worlds as a whole.

However, to go along with that, Matrix really needs to do a "Distant Worlds Gold" because many gamers who would love the game would probably balk at buying the separate pieces even at the eventual discount price once Shadows is released. Maybe a 1 week promotion coinciding with a RPS article. Distant World Gold which could be like $50 and include up to Legends, then they can add Shadows.

(in reply to hewwo)
Post #: 614
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/17/2013 5:33:08 PM   
Gargoil

quote:

ORIGINAL: republicofpepsi

Matrix really needs to do a "Distant Worlds Gold" because many gamers who would love the game would probably balk at buying the separate pieces even at the eventual discount price once Shadows is released.

This^

What are you waiting for Matrix? Its long overdue.

(in reply to republicofpepsi)
Post #: 615
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/17/2013 7:45:25 PM   
ASHBERY76

Any news on the release date?

Could it be possible for the new policy txt files to be released for modders pre launch.

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 616
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/17/2013 10:30:03 PM   
PS Pita

"What with Shadows coming out soon, I'm still surprised that DW is still very much under the radar. StarDrive has just received a hands-on preview over at PC Gamer as well as TotalBiscuit doing a WTF is preview and that game was also developed by a one-man team.

In the previews for StarDrive, people are asking about whether it will be more like SPAZ or Endless Space, or even Sins of A Solar Empire...and all the while I'm thinking...why isn't DW getting a mention? It's just not on anyones radar and that seriously needs to change IMO."

I bought the beta few weeks ago for StarDrive and I have been playing it. I've got to say it doesn't have nearly the depth or scale that Distant worlds does. Deeper yes in many ways. StarDrive seems
more like a streamlined 4x space game. I could see why some would ask if it is going to be like Sins of a solar empire. The diplomacy, trade and planet resources are especially lacking, but so isn't everything else in SD that is important to a 4x game. Its main selling feature is the ship building which I don't care much for in this type of game
quote:

anyway. So for hard core 4x games StarDrive has nothing over Distant worlds and I can't wait for Shadows.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 617
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/17/2013 11:27:13 PM   
Webbco

As someone said previously, Matrix and Codeforce are barely tapping into potential sales with this one - maybe not not the proverbial gold mine, but clearly these games have a substantial niche in the market if the attention on Sins, Endless Space and StarDrive are anything to go by. Maybe Matrix needs to consider boosting its PR...or maybe they and Code Force have plenty of money to spare.

I just don't like seeing my current favourite strategy game ignored by mainstream sites when other single-person developers with games of a similar ilk are getting attention...it makes no sense to me.

(in reply to PS Pita)
Post #: 618
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/18/2013 7:54:03 PM   
garfield666

this game seems to be seriously mistreated by the publisher. not only it is virtually unknown (i love 4x games, i own lots of 4x games, yet i found out about distant worlds about a month ago browsing stardrive or paradox forums, can't remember) but it has terrible pricing. i mean come on, 70 pounds for digital edition? thats ridiculous. ok comparing to stardrive this game is much deeper and better (although stardrive has much better combat and shipbuilding) but it also costs three times more. you cannot really expect average gamer to a. find out about this game and b. actually buy it with publishing strategy like that. to be honest even i, with all my love for good strategy, wouldn't buy it for this price. thanks to larry monte's let's play on youtube i will when shadows comes out (supposedly there's going to be a 33% off promo), but this is a serious breach of my spending policy and will leave a sour taste in my mouth.

the publisher should strike a deal with steam or gamersgate or whatever, and unleash this brilliant game on the masses. looks like it really deserves it.

< Message edited by garfield666 -- 4/18/2013 7:56:08 PM >

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 619
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/18/2013 10:17:12 PM   
Buio

Distant Worlds is a niche game, like most other Matrix titles. It's Deep and complex without flashy 3D graphics. Not always easy to make such a game sell to the more mainstream crowd.

Steam and other digital distributors take a hefty tax to sell games (I'd guess about 30% at Steam). It might fit many games economically, but not all. Would they sell so much more in numbers that it would cover the lower revenues? Although a lot points to Steam being worth the risk, f.e. some successful indie games.

Higher price is also common with games aimed at smaller markets. They have to keep the price high to get enough income from the title in other ways than sales/low price. For example flight simulators like the ones at DCS and ROF, and other war games like the ones Battlefront publish.

I bought the game one week before there was a sale with much lower prices. Sure I was bummed about that for a while, but in the end I found it worth the money anyway.

(in reply to garfield666)
Post #: 620
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/19/2013 1:25:44 PM   
garfield666

crusader kings 2 is a niche game as well, like most other paradox titles. yet they managed to sell about 1 mln copies if my memory serves me well... so did endless space (and the only good thing about this game is top-notch interface). consider also the fact that distant worlds is quite far into its lifespan already (basic game is over 3 years old) and new expansion is mainly catering to existing playerbase, as it requires like 2.5 AAA games of monetary worth just to get to position to actually buy the shadows expansion. yes, i guess that publisher would earn much less per copy, and i consider your point on smaller markets valid, but what i'm trying to say is that every copy sold through steam or whatever is a copy that wouldn't be sold otherwise. i do agree that this particular game may actually be worth the price, and that's why i decided to buy it, but i am a minority. you cannot expect average gamer to invest lots of his time researching the game before investing lots of his cash, it's just much easier to get on steam and get stardrive for like 22 pounds or endless space for like 15 or something and have lots of fun anyway. in my opinion, getting a deal with major digital distribution would be a win-win situation for matrix games, as it would open distant worlds to new potential playerbase.

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 621
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/19/2013 1:56:23 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: garfield666

in my opinion, getting a deal with major digital distribution would be a win-win situation for matrix games

Your opinion is not in agreement with Matrix business analysis. They looked at Steam distribution and decided that it wouldn't be good for Matrix and Code Force.

They (Matrix) have all the facts - they know precisely how much of a cut Steam will demand, and under what conditions. You don't have any information with which to base your "Steam is the land of milk-and-honey" position.

Erik's response is clear:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3201777&mpage=5

Please stop digging up this horse to flagellate it's rotting carcass. It's dead. Long dead.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

Post #: 622
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/19/2013 3:56:45 PM   
garfield666

thank you very much for your opinion and the time you took to write the response, allow me just to quote mr erik's response to you from the linked thread

Kayoz, I appreciate that you helped people find past comments related to this topic. However, while you are clearly intelligent, as always more civility on your part would be appreciated both by us and other forum posters. Our goal here is to make this forum a friendly place for both newcomers to DW as well as veterans. These kinds of questions will continue to come up periodically and I understand why folks come back to them. For the record, as I noted earlier we are very open-minded about how to make Distant Worlds as successful as possible. As the publisher, we have explored other distribution options and that does include Steam (not just for this game but for other games as well). It's not the slam dunk for DW that it may appear to be at first glance, but it is an option we will keep evaluating and that door is not closed for the future. We'll always do whatever it takes to maximize the success of Distant Worlds - each decision we make is based on the evaluation of what will give it the greatest success now and in the future.

< Message edited by garfield666 -- 4/19/2013 3:58:29 PM >

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 623
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/19/2013 8:10:47 PM   
Buio

quote:

ORIGINAL: garfield666
thank you very much for your opinion and the time you took to write the response, allow me just to quote mr erik's response to you from the linked thread

Still, we just replied to your exaggerated post. No need to embellish your wants for the game.

Paradox does strategy games, that are indeed somewhat niche, but you cannot compare like you did in your previous post. Their grand strategy series are now well known and have a big fanbase. They have built that reputation with a long series of games in the same vein, the first Europa Universalis was released in 2000.

All this is off-topic anyway. You should have started a new thread, or searched for earlier threads on the same topic. Like this one for example: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3201777 (edit: just that one was locked though)

< Message edited by Buio -- 4/19/2013 8:12:20 PM >

Post #: 624
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/19/2013 8:31:58 PM   
shunwick

Dear Erik,

I find myself a little short at the moment so if you could make sure that Shadows is not released in the next three or four months then I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you for your time.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 625
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/19/2013 9:46:06 PM   
Webbco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buio
All this is off-topic anyway. You should have started a new thread, or searched for earlier threads on the same topic.

This was my fault really, but I felt the need to bring it to the forefront again in the context of the releasing of Shadows in the near future as I see it as another opportunity for Matrix to make some investments into the promotion of DW.

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 626
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/21/2013 12:15:30 PM   
Buio

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick
I find myself a little short at the moment so if you could make sure that Shadows is not released in the next three or four months then I would very much appreciate it.
Thank you for your time.

It will tease you sitting there on the digital download shelf. :)

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 627
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/21/2013 9:26:06 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buio

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick
Thank you for your time.

It will tease you sitting there on the digital download shelf. :)

Buio,

I know. That's why the I would prefer it released in three or four months time. A Christmas release would be ideal.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 628
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/22/2013 7:23:28 AM   
Athelas2211

I just had to register to say that me or my friends will not buy any game not on STEAM.
Now that this is out and done with, I'd like to say a few more words.
I have followed this game for more then a year. I don't hve a problem with money.

There is no substitute for convenience STEAM offers.

As to why Matrix doesn't go there, it's of course their decision. but....

.....STEAM more and more confirms that intermediates between developers and audience are not needed. Matrix might not be needed.(EDIT: Steam is also intermediary; as are ordinary shops and other distribution chains. My sentence ment that there is maybe no need for MORE intermediaries).

Of course, putting it on STEAM would require lower price, but sales that this game would get are stupendous compared to the high price low volume it gets now.

In the end, due to pirating, this game is being played without buying it. I'm sorry to see that, but thats similar to Game of Thrones TV show...no easy and cheap access for mass audience cuts into one's profit.

I hope developers and publisher find strenght to go tht way - 30% is highest STEAM charges...there are ways for lower prices. There is Greenlight.
I will be monitoring these fora further on. and hoping steam release comes soon.

Till then, Stardrive does offer a lot!

EDIT: Oh, and why Stardrive was and is a success - open beta to preorderers. Good response policy by the programmer. Clear and sound developing diaries. Preorder for beta featured on main page of STEAM.

< Message edited by athelas.loraiel -- 4/22/2013 2:54:45 PM >

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 629
RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows - 4/22/2013 8:43:35 AM   
Webbco

(in reply to Athelas2211)
Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Shadows Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI