Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

U-2VS

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> U-2VS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
U-2VS - 4/8/2013 11:29:26 AM   
Mehring

Being averse to abstaining from what the game allows one to do, I cannot help but bomb the crap out of enemy HQs with these little blighters. Causing significant damage from their first appearance, in my current Russian game they spawned my first guards units by late summer 1941. Now massed in various air bases, they wreak havoc with enemy artillery and other support units, including light AA, for which I can find no historical justification. My opponent has not ventured to switch some fighters to night missions and I do recall losing a few in previous games to interceptors. As is, I seldom, if ever, lose a plane.

These biplanes are too important a part of the Russian war effort to rail to the front for overrun but their current depiction is equally hard to stomach. They were mass produced because they had a powerful effect on enemy morale and fatigue. I know you devs are busy but please could you stop my planes wiping out the enemy guns and engineers and give them instead, more realistic capabilities.

“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky
Post #: 1
RE: U-2VS - 4/8/2013 10:26:30 PM   
carlkay58

You are using them exactly how they were designed to be used. In the current form of the air game they seem to be overpowering, but if you read memoirs of German soldiers you will find the U-2VS was their most hated Soviet aircraft. They were nicknamed 'flying sewing machines' because of the sound of their engines. However their attack style was to get to about two or three thousand feet, turn off their engine, and glide over the front line dropping bombs on or near any campfires that they could spot. They would then turn on their engine and fly off. You never heard them coming and then suddenly there were explosions and the sound of the engine starting and flying off. No warning and no ability to fight back - a frustrating and nerve-wracking combination.

Later in the war most of the pilots were women. Their lighter weight allowed them to glide even further from the front before dropping their bombs. Since many of the front line troops did not dare to have campfires, they mostly attacked the support and other rear echelon types - such as the AA and artillery units. They were also a pain for the supply personnel. A realistic effect would be to limit the recovery of fatigue for the target units with some limited casualties.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 2
RE: U-2VS - 4/9/2013 10:17:37 AM   
Mehring

I go with that, maybe a check for morale drop too, if subjected to sufficient disruption?

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 3
RE: U-2VS - 4/9/2013 2:14:33 PM   
Seminole

You think they're overpowered, and now want them to drop morale (and possibly add fatigue) too?

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 4
RE: U-2VS - 4/9/2013 3:55:56 PM   
Mehring

Sounds like a plan and infinitely preferable to the thousands of dead pioniere, support troops etc and hundreds of heavy guns that litter the pixel landscape within months of the invasion. I've never found a reference to these planes causing a lot of physical damage, all the sources I've found state to the contrary. They shot nerves, denied sleep and reduced morale. Carlkay58 seems to be corroborating that.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 5
RE: U-2VS - 4/10/2013 12:20:06 AM   
carlkay58

Definitely a low chance of any true casualties - but they had a VERY high level of nuisance! I think they would be more Disrupt/Fatigue damage types.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 6
RE: U-2VS - 4/10/2013 1:38:58 AM   
Flaviusx

I hate them and refuse to use them. Biplane spam is the spawn of the devil. Their lack of range is a deal killer for me.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 7
RE: U-2VS - 4/10/2013 8:32:49 AM   
randallw

I see them suffer bad casualties at times, and this is with night bombing!

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 8
RE: U-2VS - 4/10/2013 10:51:31 AM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

I hate them and refuse to use them. Biplane spam is the spawn of the devil. Their lack of range is a deal killer for me.

The ancient sages said "do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?"
So may just one biplane become an air force.

Attachment (1)

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 9
RE: U-2VS - 4/10/2013 10:53:40 AM   
Mehring

And here's nine of the bu**ers-

Attachment (1)

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 10
RE: U-2VS - 4/10/2013 10:54:30 AM   
morvael

I'm not getting such results with 100+ bombers of modern types (A-20, B-25, Pe-2)

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 11
RE: U-2VS - 4/10/2013 10:59:21 AM   
Mehring

So by Feb 1942, possibly one of my highest scorers, CR doesn't list ground kill-

Attachment (1)

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 12
RE: U-2VS - 4/10/2013 11:00:08 AM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvael

I'm not getting such results with 100+ bombers of modern types (A-20, B-25, Pe-2)

Exactly, it's ridiluclus

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 13
RE: U-2VS - 4/10/2013 11:07:30 AM   
Mehring

Here's German pioniere and arty losses just before blizzard, so few retreats and few ground combat losses, particularly to the heavies. Most of these big guns and nebs are bust by U-2VS.

I only played a game into 1944 once, by which time Germans hardly had any guns left.

Attachment (1)

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 14
RE: U-2VS - 4/10/2013 2:00:26 PM   
JeremyB

With this kind of results I suggest you redirect the post to "bug reporting" for teh Tech support team...

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> U-2VS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI