Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Where's everyone hiding?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> Where's everyone hiding? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Where's everyone hiding? - 4/4/2013 1:19:59 PM   
JoeExplorer

There's got to be more people playing this series than this forum projects.

Where is everyone? Are there other sites with the Battleground forums?

I played the Civil War series long ago. So I just purchased it again. Look forward to playing. But where are all the old timers to give me advice on tactics and strategy?

Also, I've read the few post about screen resolution. Is there a fix for this? The units are very small and hard to play. I turned it all the way down to 800x600. but the units become too fuzzy.

Don't be afraid of success.
Post #: 1
RE: Where's everyone hiding? - 4/4/2013 2:05:04 PM   
Nimrod 9th

I'm still here and check the forums daily. A few years ago I was playing the Battleground series a lot. Loved one of the early 1st Day Gettysburg scen and a couple from Shiloh. But sad to say I haven't had it out in awhile. Been playing Forge of Freedom (wish they'd update it but sounds like they have no interest) and Strategic War in Europe (wish they'd fix the AI and the AI Soviet reinforcement issues). Wanted to let you know there is at least one person that still looks in now and then. Have fun.

(in reply to JoeExplorer)
Post #: 2
RE: Where's everyone hiding? - 4/5/2013 8:21:40 AM   
rhondabrwn

I migrated to Tiller's HPS series years ago. I supported the Matrix project and bought them, but then rarely played them. The graphics are pretty, but as you have noted, the tiny units are really hard to see against the hand painted maps. The HPS series has been rightly criticized for it's graphics, the hex based maps are not as pretty, but are more utilitarian. The larger units seem to be unrealistically out of scale, but are easy to see. Fortunately, there are graphics mods which really improve the games up to an acceptable level.

In terms of gameplay, the HPS series moved to individual losses instead of a block 25 man loss as in Matrix/Talonsoft. Fatigue was changed from a 1 to 9 scale to individual point fatigue losses. I'm playing a game with ORM right now and the unrealistic 25 man loss system is driving me crazy. We'll be starting an HPS Campaign Gettysburg game as soon as he gets it installed. Other than the graphics, there is no advantage to playing the Matrix versions. While the game engine remains pretty much the same in appearance, it has been fine tuned in many ways and the sophistication of the maps and scenario design has increased manyfold. The "campaign" option in Gettysburg offers a dynamic linked game system that creates new battles based on the results of the previous game (including losses being carried over minus reinforcements), but also the player's choice of at least three strategic options for each side. The standard setup includes nearly 4,000 campaign scenarios and I downloaded additional ones to bring my installation up to almost 20,000 unique scenarios that can be presented to you in a campaign game. Just totally fascinating... my favorite game of all time. In terms of "vanilla" scenario play, the HPS version has over 300 discrete battle scenarios vs less than 20 for Matrix/Talonsoft.

The original is still a great set of games, but it's successors are just so much better :)

I would be up for a PBEM of Chickamauga using the Matrix version if you would like a live opponent... or any of the HPS series or even the newest John Tiller Games release of "Campaign Overland" which I just purchased a few days ago. That game offers an incredible range of options and strategies on a million hex map stretching from Fredricksburg to Richmond. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Nimrod 9th)
Post #: 3
RE: Where's everyone hiding? - 4/8/2013 9:18:44 PM   
Andy Moss

There is still some interest in the old BG games. I play them from time to time - in fact I have 2 pbem games going at the moment - although I agree, the HPS engine is better and there aren't the Windows compatibility issues. The Napoleonic Wargame Club and The Blitz both have people still playing the games for Napoleonics; I guess the ACWGC still supports the ACW games.

(in reply to JoeExplorer)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> Where's everyone hiding? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI