Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

river crossing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> river crossing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
river crossing - 1/1/2003 11:32:56 PM   
robot

My first river crossing has come and gone. Thought i would give some pointers on it. Or more how i played it the wrong way. Its 1940 german assault against france. I sent 3 platoons across in the north. My first mistake was no engineers with them. They got stuck in the mine field and held up my armor. Thought i made a great move by sending my engineers across in the south. They had 1 platoon of inf. plus large armored force behind them. The armor consisted of 2 platoons of pzIIs and 2 Platoons of pz 38t. I did at least buy enough barge carriers. I had 20 barge carriors. At least i did that right. Out of the 20 5 got stuck and never unloaded the barges. My engineers got thru the mine field fast. They then began to advance on southern and middle obj. I then had to transport all the nothern troops south. They are almost all landed and have begun to move back up north to that obj. It is working out ok but much slower then i had planned. What ever you do when assaulting across the river. Send engineers first and wait till you think they are about to break thru before you send other troops across. Pick one obj. to attack and do it in force. Sorry bout the long paragraph but i dont know how to change to a new paragragh or how to indent.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.
Post #: 1
- 1/1/2003 11:36:57 PM   
AbsntMndedProf

Another river crossing pointer, lots of smoke is good! Smoke up the enemy's side of the river to protect your troops while they're in their rubber boats crossing the river.

Eric Maietta

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 2
- 1/2/2003 2:44:08 AM   
Redleg

River crossings are great fun. A good test of organizational skills.

Smoke is essential because one shot kills a rubber boat.

Defending against a river crossing is fun, too. I like both sides of these battles.

What sort of points and other details did you use in setting up the battle? Was C/C turned on?

What was the outcome?

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 3
- 1/2/2003 5:05:57 AM   
Paska Taikuri

Also, I've noticed that cavalry is good in river crossings. They don't like getting into the rubber boats together with horses, so they just swim right over.

To exploit this feature against a human opponent isn't really fair, though.

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 4
- 1/2/2003 6:20:03 AM   
Redleg

Yes, the cavalry thing is unfortunate. It is something should be used sparingly....... or custom maps with really wide rivers! ;)

Since they are size 2, a cavalry outfit would suffer greatly from MG fire.

This is a thought-provoking thread.........

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 5
- 1/2/2003 5:19:39 PM   
AbsntMndedProf

The image of cavalry horses wearing water-wings comes to mind. :D :D

Eric Maietta

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 6
Dern River - 1/2/2003 10:35:06 PM   
robot

I was successful due mostly to well placed barrages. Thank heaven for heavy guns. Also my 88s and 150s did a lot in way of shore line protection. My engineers were very good in opening the mine ffields. This helped as i had a large force of tanks behind them. The main force got held up at the north end mine field. Due to no engineers there. Big mistake Big mistake. I do not use cc in long campaign. Reason is i have somwhere near 10 diff. long campaigns set up. Starting with germany in 1939 east and west.
Japan asia and pacific. Brits Germany and Japan. Marines pacific and the army against germany. Russia against germany. As i play they come into the war at diff dates. So i start the battles as they come along. All troops start out green and progress. This way i see the war from all the diff sides. My prefs are 110 the opponent is at least 10 to 15 points over me on exp. Base is 3200. Hope i explained how i play by the dates. Right now im starting Japan against the nation or china as i call them. Its a meeting engagement. Oh by the way i did use smoke lots of it. But by the time i figured i had made a mistake by sending engineers south and main force north, I was running out of smoke on mortors. And needed my 150s to keep the enemy suppressed. Took about 31 turns of the allowable turns. Where if i had not split the force, think i could have shaved maybe 10 turns off that. After all this was against the French. Took all objectives and had decisive victory.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 7
- 1/3/2003 12:59:45 AM   
Redleg

Robot,
Thanks for the update. It was interesting to consider the techniques of river crossing battles.

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 8
Bad Cavalry - 1/4/2003 2:40:53 AM   
Capt. Pixel

One of my favorite river crossing forces is cavalry. Keep in mind that most heavy Cav has an amphib movement of 1. You don't need a very wide river to delay the cav 3-4 turns. The light Cav often have an amphib movement of 2, making them [I]almost[/I] as fast as the guys in a rubber boat. (and 1/3 the speed of a barge)

The horses are vulnerable to small arms fire while in the water, but they can shoot back, and they don't die with one hit. (usually)

Where the horses really shine, tho', is on the enemy shore. They can step into a minefield, take a casualty or two and then move on in. (same against wire or AT obstacles) The sudden burst of several platoons of Cav into your enemy's backfield is going to force the enemy rethink his river defense.

Of course, they can't succeed in taking and holding the objectives alone. But as Shock Troops in a river crossing, they're excellent. :cool:

(hint: don't use cavalry in beach landings unless you have 50 turns for your game. :D )

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 9
- 1/5/2003 4:19:45 AM   
Redleg

Yes, it is really too bad that the cavalry is like that. Fun, but it is totally beyond reason. ;)

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> river crossing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI