Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just FYI - Deja is gone...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Just FYI - Deja is gone... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just FYI - Deja is gone... - 2/12/2001 11:45:00 PM   
Windo von Paene

Was merrily reading newsgroups this morning using deja, and all of a sudden - Poof. Deja is being aquired by Google, and browsing is now history, (for a while anyway). Now how am I going to post flames to the SPWW2 guy on games.war-historical...

Post #: 1
- 2/13/2001 5:09:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Play some SP:WaW - don't spend time arguing on the usenet - that is what some of those people live for!

(in reply to Windo von Paene)
Post #: 2
- 2/13/2001 5:23:00 AM   
Windo von Paene

WEll the person I was "arguing" with is Dale Height (sp?), who in response to a poster confusing SPWAW and SPWW2 explained the difference, then when the original poster asked for an opinion stated that he preferred SPWW2 and that it had "fewer bugs". I merely pointed out that perhaps Dale should have mentioned that he was on the SPWW2 team. For that, I got seriously flamed. And since I can't play SPWAW at work, what else is there to do but argue on usenet?

Post #: 3
- 2/13/2001 5:55:00 AM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by Windo von Paene: WEll the person I was "arguing" with is Dale Height (sp?), who in response to a poster confusing SPWAW and SPWW2 explained the difference, then when the original poster asked for an opinion stated that he preferred SPWW2 and that it had "fewer bugs". I merely pointed out that perhaps Dale should have mentioned that he was on the SPWW2 team. For that, I got seriously flamed. And since I can't play SPWAW at work, what else is there to do but argue on usenet?
the only thing ive seen any good from spww2 is the terrain levels.Also the way a Tank autoturns to the direction enemy fire is coming from, also I think when you move into same hex as enemy and fire, your tank doesnt turn its rear towards enemy (I think)? Alby [This message has been edited by Alby (edited February 13, 2001).]

Post #: 4
- 2/13/2001 7:34:00 AM   
troopie

Do what I do, play both. SPWAW for WW2, and SPWW2 for WW1 and Fantasy battles. troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

Post #: 5
- 2/13/2001 8:07:00 AM   
chanman

Pardon the ignorance of a newbie, but what is SPWW2? I know what SPWaW is, I own a (well used) copy of SP, but I have to admit some ignorance of the intervening titles.

"As God is my witness, I thought that turkeys could fly"

Post #: 6
- 2/13/2001 10:48:00 AM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by chanman: Pardon the ignorance of a newbie, but what is SPWW2? I know what SPWaW is, I own a (well used) copy of SP, but I have to admit some ignorance of the intervening titles.
spww2 is a game based on the sp series [This message has been edited by Alby (edited February 13, 2001).]

Post #: 7
- 2/14/2001 12:29:00 AM   
O de B

Chanman, SPWW2 is in a way where everything began (i hope i won't be flamed ). First some cool people at The Gamers Net made an add-on to SP2 that was called SP2WW2 and was adding WW2 icons & OOBs to SP2. Then these guys got permission from SSI to rewrite the SP2 code and made a new game : SPWW2. After the first version all of them wished to go further but some sticked to the SP2 DOS engine while others began to work on the SP3 code and ported it to Win9x : SpWaW. They reworked everything and as for me especially the armor penetration model, but some other will prefer the new sounds and internet play. So now you have SPWaW originally from the SP3 engine by Matrix and SPWW2 (v4 by now) from the old good DOS SP2 engine by the SP Camo Workshop. Certainly both do their best to have what they think is the best SP possible ever. For some obscure reason there appears to be a rivalry and not only friendly competition between the 2 teams and probably that's why Windo got flamed in that forum. Well, especially as for some hot supporters. I've noticed that the V4 of SPWW2 was offering the possiblility to use SPWAW instead of SP2/3 CD to run so i don't think there is a real war between the 2 teams in their whole. I always wished Matrix and the SP Camo to work a bit more together. But these things are not always possible... i don't lay blame on anyone here. Sometimes you just can't work with someone, that's all. But probably David Heath, Paul Vebber or Wild Bill can explain once more what happened They already did a lot before ... As for the games SPWW2 had IMHO only 3 nice features lacking to early SPWaW. (compare to the far more number of cool features in Waw) I'd say : 1. The SP Camo reworked the artillery shell pattern drop so it looked cirular and not linear like in SP 1-2 2. The AI opfire seemed to be able to pick up targets more efficiently. For instance i once had a PBEM with a friend. I tried to waste Opfire shots from my opponent's AI with HT and trucks, drawing only a few shots. But when my tanks shown up each of them was drawing as many shots as the whole HT company before 3. One of my friends told me it was handling infantry a little better than WaW. For armor modelling we both think SPWW2 is no match for WaW. Now with the new opfire routine in SPWaW the 2nd point is probably more useless, did not had a PBEM since so i can't tell for when it is disabled. The 3rd point can be easily tweaked with inf thoughness so it's not an issue anymore. The 1st point may still be valid, i did not play senarii with arty for a while. As for bugs there were still crashes in SPWW2 v3, and v4 is more stable, exactly like WaW 4.5 is better than 4.0 that was also better than 3.0 etc. One last thing : you should be able to download and try SPWW2 from spcamo.thegamers.net. or www.thegamers.net. There is a little editing to do to enable it to play with WaW instead of a SP2/3 CD. Read the manual for Win9x shorcut also. For some funny reason, the installer for this DOS game does not work under DOS so you'll have to put it on a Win9x PC [This message has been edited by O de B (edited February 13, 2001).] [This message has been edited by O de B (edited February 13, 2001).]

Post #: 8
- 2/14/2001 1:44:00 AM   
BA Evans

quote:

And since I can't play SPWAW at work, what else is there to do but argue on usenet? [/B]
You could try working while at work....

Post #: 9
- 2/14/2001 2:05:00 AM   
chanman

My thanks to those who answered my question. Further thanks to those who showed restraint by not flaming those who answered my questions. Save your flame for digging Japanese infantry out of the new fortifications. As far as Deja being gone, I would advise y'all to be patient. Google bought deja and the software that drives it. At the present moment, Google seems to have dropped the ball by not using the search engine that came with the data, but they'll either need to fix that or sell the database and software to someone else. I think they spent too much money on the deja content to just let it die. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. As far as what to do at work, I get to play on my breaks and lunch, arguing on usenet isn't the worst thing to do.

"As God is my witness, I thought that turkeys could fly"

Post #: 10
- 2/14/2001 2:18:00 AM   
Windo von Paene

Working while at work? Ick! O de B: Well I'm not sure why I got flamed. I posted what I thought was a fairly innocuous remark, pointing out that Dale was on the SP Camo team, and that perhaps he should mention that when he told the poster that "there both good games, but I prefer SPWW2". An analogy: "Which is a better operating system, Windows 2000 or Linux?" to which some guy name Linus Torvald responds, "there both good, but Linus has fewer bugs". (I would have said it the other way, but figure more people know who bill gates is than Linus T.). It may very well be a valid statement, but there are some internal biases at work me thinks... He then got his undies in a bunch and acted all arrogant, along the lines of "who the hell are you? I'm well known in the SP community and you're not blah blah blah". I made a sarcastic reply where I said I would refrain from making such dumbass posts in the future. He replied saying, "I will assume you're not as big a butt hole as your post makes you seem" or something along those lines, and continued with arrogant, belittling remarks, (I am just a SPWAW "groupie"). Overall an ugly exchange...

Post #: 11
- 2/14/2001 6:42:00 AM   
waynef

Sorry, but,... why bring it here? Windo von Paene said: "Now how am I going to post flames to the SPWW2 guy on games.war-historical..." Dale Hight is a good guy and has done alot for the SP Community. SPWW2v4 isnt bad, just different. ------------------ "At My Signal...Unleash Hell" Thanks, Wayne

"At My Signal...Unleash Hell" Thanks, Wayne

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Just FYI - Deja is gone... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI