Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cannot change Base HQ's, Leaders, Unit HQ's

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Cannot change Base HQ's, Leaders, Unit HQ's Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cannot change Base HQ's, Leaders, Unit HQ's - 4/20/2013 3:02:19 AM   
98ZJUSMC

This is my first game of AE and I am about Jun of 43. I finally straightened out the withdraw problem and I have over 22000 PP's. I cannot change Base HQ's, restricted or unrestricted. I cannot change Unit Leaders, Headquarters...nothing. I can update A/C, that's about it. The manual isn't helping and I looked here. Can someone point me to the answer?

Thanks, all.

EDIT:

OK wait. I checked again and it says:

Political Points: -25897. Minus?

< Message edited by 98ZJUSMC -- 4/20/2013 3:08:22 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: Cannot change Base HQ's, Leaders, Unit HQ's - 4/20/2013 3:09:54 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: 98ZJUSMC

This is my first game of AE and I am about Jun of 43. I finally straightened out the withdraw problem and I have over 22000 PP's. I cannot change Base HQ's, restricted or unrestricted. I cannot change Unit Leaders, Headquarters...nothing. I can update A/C, that's about it. The manual isn't helping and I looked here. Can someone point me to the answer?

Thanks, all.

EDIT:

The minus is significant. Have you withdrawn your units on time?

The Moose

(in reply to 98ZJUSMC)
Post #: 2
RE: Cannot change Base HQ's, Leaders, Unit HQ's - 4/20/2013 6:12:02 AM   
Alfred

Yep, you have well and truly shot yourself in the foot.

Chapter 11 of the manual deals with PPs.

Official game scenarios start off with a very modest positive pool of PPs. Each day you receive 50 PPs which are added to your positive PP pool. If you have sufficient PPs in the pool you can do things like:

* change unit leaders
* change units from restricted HQs to unrestricted HQs
* change aircraft upgrade paths to non scheduled models

You cannot do any of these things with a negative PP pool.

Your PP pool is drawn down not just when you undertake any of the above actions but whenever you fail to withdraw by it's due date a ship or aircraft unit. The PP cost for not withdrawing a ship or aircraft group is paid each day the unit remains in play. The Operations Report details how many PPs have been lost.

So to have achieved a negative 25,897 PP pool means you have really paid zero attention to your responsibility of ensuring you withdraw units by the due date. With a per diem rate of only 50 PPs, plus the occasional boost from withdrawing an air unit ahead of time, you are looking at over 500 turns before your pool becomes positive.

It will be November 1944 before you will be able to do those things which cost PPs. The game is still playable but your freedom of action will be severely circumscribed.

Alfred

edit. removed erroneous statement identified by erstad in post #4. One still does not want to create a situation where bases are under garrisoned but the malus takes another form rather than the loss of PPs.

< Message edited by Alfred -- 4/20/2013 7:32:03 AM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 3
RE: Cannot change Base HQ's, Leaders, Unit HQ's - 4/20/2013 6:55:30 AM   
erstad

quote:

You will also lose PPs daily for under garrisoning certain bases. This is also notified to the player.

Alfred, are you sure it's PPs? The message says VPs, although I've never tried to confirm it one way or the other:

quote:

Low garrison leads to damage and 1 VP loss from partisan attack at <redacted>

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 4
RE: Cannot change Base HQ's, Leaders, Unit HQ's - 4/20/2013 7:27:36 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

quote:

You will also lose PPs daily for under garrisoning certain bases. This is also notified to the player.

Alfred, are you sure it's PPs? The message says VPs, although I've never tried to confirm it one way or the other:

quote:

Yes, yes, quite correct. My mistake, will go back and edit post.

Your reward is you get bragging rights with sardauker (and a couple of others)

Alfred

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 5
RE: Cannot change Base HQ's, Leaders, Unit HQ's - 4/20/2013 7:34:58 AM   
98ZJUSMC

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Thanks, all.

EDIT:

No, I looked through again and I was way overdue a number of ships. I straightened out the aircraft about Dec of 42 and am on top of that. I just found the ship problem and have got that down to 4 S Class boats returning to San Diego to withdraw in about three days. I'm guessing that that will solve my problem and I should be in positive PPs in time for the Korean War.

EDIT:

What threw me at first was that I was suddenly able to upgrade A/C and I thought everything was hunky.

Wrong.

< Message edited by 98ZJUSMC -- 4/20/2013 7:43:49 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: Cannot change Base HQ's, Leaders, Unit HQ's - 4/20/2013 7:41:03 AM   
98ZJUSMC

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

quote:

quote:

Yeah, this I read in another thread that you lose VP's for under garrison as opposed to PP's. I had a total derp moment on my overdue ships and I think I am just about straight. I think.

Maybe.

Thanks, guys. I'm still taking in all the micromanaging of this game. The detail is friggin' unequaled awesome, but this withdraw thing was about to make me crack a second 12 pack.

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 7
RE: Cannot change Base HQ's, Leaders, Unit HQ's - 4/20/2013 5:11:12 PM   
1EyedJacks

quote:

quote:

Thanks, all.

EDIT:

Subtly understated statement with a poignant question - wow!

TTFN,

Mike

Post #: 8
RE: Cannot change Base HQ's, Leaders, Unit HQ's - 4/20/2013 7:06:19 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

quote:

quote:

Thanks, all.

EDIT:

Subtly understated statement with a poignant question - wow!

I was quite proud considering the amount of bourbon on board at the time.

The Moose

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 9
RE: Cannot change Base HQ's, Leaders, Unit HQ's - 4/21/2013 5:21:35 AM   
jmalter

ungulates are amazing laid-back. me, i was busy calculating that it'd be lucky if the OP could buy some (small) christmas-presents for 12/44.

I don't think the overdue SSs can be withdrawn from San Diego in a standard scenario under a non-beta .exe, won't they have to go to San Francisco?

but props to the OP for having achieved a WitPAE world-record in the -PP category, 's actually rather impressive.

I've missed an air-group withdrawal by 1 day, more than once. and there was a dicey thing where I disbanded a CA at Sydney w/ upgrade ON, fortunately it completed its upgrade 5 days before its withdrawal-date. Some several players have posted moans about a damaged ship 'trapped' between its need to withdraw & its need to repair.

but -26k PP? wow. pass me that flask of bourbon, please - anesthesia is the preferred option.

Post #: 10
RE: Cannot change Base HQ's, Leaders, Unit HQ's - 4/21/2013 5:56:01 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

ungulates are amazing laid-back. me, i was busy calculating that it'd be lucky if the OP could buy some (small) christmas-presents for 12/44.

I don't think the overdue SSs can be withdrawn from San Diego in a standard scenario under a non-beta .exe, won't they have to go to San Francisco?

but props to the OP for having achieved a WitPAE world-record in the -PP category, 's actually rather impressive.

I've missed an air-group withdrawal by 1 day, more than once. and there was a dicey thing where I disbanded a CA at Sydney w/ upgrade ON, fortunately it completed its upgrade 5 days before its withdrawal-date. Some several players have posted moans about a damaged ship 'trapped' between its need to withdraw & its need to repair.

but -26k PP? wow. pass me that flask of bourbon, please - anesthesia is the preferred option.

So far as I know this has been the withdrawl code for about three years now:

"48. Gameplay Change: Allow ship withdrawals at any on map level-9 port and some smaller ports with no enemy nearby. Ships can always be withdrawn from any off- map port or from any TF that is currently off map. Ships that are not badly damaged can be withdrawn from some on-map ports or from TFs in certain on-map regions. For on map, ship may not be on fire, total damage may not exceed 99 and no individual damage type (system, floatation, engine) may exceed 50. Ships may not be withdrawn from any on-map location where the enemy has air superiority. The
intent is to prevent withdrawal as a method of saving a ship that stands a good chance of being lost or further damaged. On map withdrawal ports are set based on the historical exit locations for ships leaving the Pacific:

1. Any level 9 port.

2. National home ports of the United States, Canada, India, Australia, and New
Zealand (with no port level requirement)

3. Any level 7 or larger port on the US or Canadian West Coast.

4. Any level 7 or larger Indian port East of Ceylon (including Ceylon itself)

5. Any level 7 or larger port in South Eastern Australia, plus Perth.

6. Any level 7 or larger port in New Zealand."

The Moose

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 11
RE: Cannot change Base HQ's, Leaders, Unit HQ's - 4/21/2013 9:26:51 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

ungulates are amazing laid-back.

Apparently you haven't been spat on by a camel or llama. Llamas can do alot more as well, they attack wolves. I expect Mr. Moose does not spit on others but wolves better watch out.

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Cannot change Base HQ's, Leaders, Unit HQ's Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI