Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mega Campaign in SPWAW 5????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega Campaign in SPWAW 5???? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mega Campaign in SPWAW 5???? - 2/13/2001 8:50:00 AM   
Phil

I've been reding on a couple of sites that the Mega-Campaign of old will be incorporated into SPWAW 5. Is this so? I had a subscription to the original Mega Campaign back a few years ago. I only wound up with 2 campaigns, but man what a kick in the pants they were!! If it is true, any idea how they will be handled? Will we be able to create and edit our own or will they be generated...(Don't have the faintest idea how they could be generated but hey, what do I know!) Well if anyone knows any more of this, could you enlighten me? Phil

Phil
Post #: 1
- 2/13/2001 9:08:00 AM   
Don

See this post: http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/004065.html That's about it for now. Not much enlightening, but that's all you get! Don

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 2
- 2/13/2001 10:37:00 AM   
B52g

Your not the only former subscriber thats anticipating this, Phil! I too, cant wait for someone to "enlighten" me. And your right, there were two campaigns, I almost forgot about the modern campaign. Maybe this time I can finish what I started years ago.

John

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 3
- 2/13/2001 12:29:00 PM   
Phil

Yes, it was only 2 campaigns. I thought the Huskey Campaign was just great. And you know that my computer crashed before I could finish the campaign. I went to reinstall it and the first disk was damaged! NovaStar sent me another. Unfortunately it was the wrong disk. As a result I never got to finish the last couple of battles. Maybe I'll be able to finish it now. I remember looking forward to the Polish Campaign. Oh well, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Phil

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 4
- 2/14/2001 2:18:00 AM   
skukko

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 5
- 2/14/2001 2:50:00 AM   
Bonzo

and a ------------------ Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Coordinator 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://nwbattalion.tripod.com E-mail [email]nwbattalion@icqmail.com[/email]

Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://www.nwbattalion.com E-mail

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 6
- 2/14/2001 3:43:00 AM   
David Heath

Ok here is some more information. We are in the middle of SPWaW v5.0. It will include a new and improved Mega Campaign. Two Mega Campaigns are in the works. One is being lead by Bill Wilder on the 1941 North Africa campagin and will have a follow up campagin into 1942. The other Mega Campaign is being lead by Brent Richards and will cover the Eastern Front in 1941 and will also have follow up mega campagins. We will be selling these mega campagins for $20.00 on a CD with a free copy of SPWaW v5.0. Many of you have been asking how you can support Matrix so we spent extra time and effort being back the Mega Campaign and adding some new game features. SPWaW v5.0 will of course still be a free download by itself. Some of the features we are working on are Close Assults and Overruns to name just a few of the new features we are working on. David

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 7
- 2/14/2001 5:10:00 AM   
xavier

OK, I will buy it.
quote:

Originally posted by David Heath: Ok here is some more information. We are in the middle of SPWaW v5.0. It will include a new and improved Mega Campaign. Two Mega Campaigns are in the works. One is being lead by Bill Wilder on the 1941 North Africa campagin and will have a follow up campagin into 1942. The other Mega Campaign is being lead by Brent Richards and will cover the Eastern Front in 1941 and will also have follow up mega campagins. We will be selling these mega campagins for $20.00 on a CD with a free copy of SPWaW v5.0. Many of you have been asking how you can support Matrix so we spent extra time and effort being back the Mega Campaign and adding some new game features. SPWaW v5.0 will of course still be a free download by itself. Some of the features we are working on are Close Assults and Overruns to name just a few of the new features we are working on. David

xaal

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 8
- 2/14/2001 5:10:00 AM   
xavier

OK, I will buy it.
quote:

Originally posted by David Heath: Ok here is some more information. We are in the middle of SPWaW v5.0. It will include a new and improved Mega Campaign. Two Mega Campaigns are in the works. One is being lead by Bill Wilder on the 1941 North Africa campagin and will have a follow up campagin into 1942. The other Mega Campaign is being lead by Brent Richards and will cover the Eastern Front in 1941 and will also have follow up mega campagins. We will be selling these mega campagins for $20.00 on a CD with a free copy of SPWaW v5.0. Many of you have been asking how you can support Matrix so we spent extra time and effort being back the Mega Campaign and adding some new game features. SPWaW v5.0 will of course still be a free download by itself. Some of the features we are working on are Close Assults and Overruns to name just a few of the new features we are working on. David

xaal

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 9
- 2/14/2001 6:04:00 AM   
Antonius

Never played the original mega campaign but it sounds very interesting. It's good news too that there will be something we can buy to reward Matrix for the job done I just hope you will be shipping overseas to exotic countries like France...

Wargamo, ergo sum

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 10
- 2/14/2001 6:06:00 AM   
Panzer Capta

How soon can it be ordered? Are you taking advanced orders now? Despite SPWaW being free, i will order the Mega-Campaign out of interest, and because i wish to give Matrix something in return for all they have given of themselves. Thanks

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 11
- 2/14/2001 6:51:00 AM   
Panzer Capta

Will the SPWaW Version 5 have all or most of the existing scenerios and campaings on it?

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 12
- 2/14/2001 6:53:00 AM   
Charles22

David Heath: I think getting SPWAWV.5 will be worth the $20 alone, as I've been waiting to have the game on a cd backup. I thought I'd let those without much download capability to grab up the cds from the earlier versions. I do have some questions though. I am wondering if these campaigns will be scripted scenarios that we are seeing here recently, or not. If so, then I wonder if there are plans to lengthen the turns a bit? It seems as though so many campaigns are focusing on only 20 turns and that doesn't seem to be enough to enable not only the possibility of dealing with the inherent mines, but also the possibility of flanking. It seems that with these campaigns of which I speak, that all I have time for is IF the enemy will come to me, I can then have time to clear at least some mines and them make a mad dash for the last objectives. I would suggest games that have mines to have at least 25-30 turns, as 20 often an exercise in getting smashed a lot more by mines than by the units proper. Another thing. Will these campaigns have something larger than the 80 hex limit we still suffer from on the generated campigns? Thanks.

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 13
- 2/14/2001 7:08:00 AM   
B52g

$20.00? Sounds good to me. I would like to contribute to the people who have given me so much for soo long.

John

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 14
- 2/14/2001 7:08:00 AM   
Nixuebrig

quote:

the 20$ dollars think will be worth it. But how do you ship it overseas to us Europeans? Got any clue for that or will I have to pay an additional 20$ for UPS shipment? Banzai

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 15
- 2/14/2001 12:28:00 PM   
USMCGrunt

$20.00 is a very small price to pay for all the hours of gaming SPWAW has given me. I've paid $50 for games that haven't stayed on my hard drive for a month, but I've had SPWAW on it solid since 4.1 came out. Count me in guys. ------------------ USMCGrunt -When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.

USMCGrunt Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?" But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll! -Rudyard Kipling-

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 16
- 2/14/2001 4:40:00 PM   
Steel Thunder

20$ sounds good to me but... How about us who doesn't have credit cards? (Yes, there are peoples without credit cards, especially in Europe) Will there be other way to buy these mega campaign cds? Steel Thunder [This message has been edited by Steel Thunder (edited February 14, 2001).]

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 17
- 2/14/2001 8:53:00 PM   
krull

When Where How much and how fast cash Credit PRAYING. Well come on some info already Ive done waited 5 minutes HAHAHAHA. SHipping style UPS NEXT DAY AIR HELLO. HAHAH I hate it when they do this to me. I get all excited . I hate waiting.

Krull

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 18
- 2/14/2001 9:48:00 PM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by Charles22: ...If so, then I wonder if there are plans to lengthen the turns a bit? It seems as though so many campaigns are focusing on only 20 turns and that doesn't seem to be enough to enable not only the possibility of dealing with the inherent mines, but also the possibility of flanking... Another thing. Will these campaigns have something larger than the 80 hex limit we still suffer from on the generated campigns? Thanks.
Charles, I agree that the time and map size needs to be more for more opportunities to maneuver, etc. I'd prefer the game to come with both expanded but if it does not, the editors give us the ability to expand both of them. ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 19
- 2/15/2001 1:25:00 AM   
Charles22

Larry Holt: I'm not confident that I could manage that. As a concept, the editing of something is sometimes a cop-out anyway. If one can just type over a default as in preferences and the campaigns maintain them throughout each battle, fair enough, but from what I've seen, particularly if we were talking about larger maps, such as I believe Warhorse uses for campaigns, he has to create the maps he uses, and then load each one seperately for each battle. That's way too much trouble for me (deploying 80-100 units takes long enough). In any case, I would expect that it would be easy enough to expand the turns, but I've never seen such a concept with campaigns such as our current generated ones (which have a robust turn base anyway). I find it ironic that the maps that are generally the smallest, the generated ones, are the ones also with the most turns, while at least some of the opposite of that is true with user-designed campaigns to date. I'm sure I'll purchase regardless, it's just that I wish that campaigns were designed more along the generated ones in duration. I don't mind the occassional 20 turn game, but every single battle?????? If 20 turns are sound for a meeting engagement, then how can an assault with mines, be also? I don't think commanders with any sense expect their troops to take the hill the enemy occupies, as quickly as they expect them to outrace the enemy who isn't there yet. Some people, like me, suffer for those who love to play a battle so tough that it takes memorization to get it right, but I've never seen in RL where the same battle is fought twice. I definitely enjoy the occassional impossible mission, but don't enjoy having almost every assault mine-laden game turn out that way.

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 20
- 2/15/2001 5:16:00 AM   
Viriato

hello all ... Only 20$ ??? Man I love you guys ... count me in as soon as it's ready . But a good point was raisen , How do we pay ? How's the shipping to europe gona be ? anyway .... BRING IT ON !!!! ------------------ A sorte protege os audazes

A sorte protege os audazes

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 21
- 2/15/2001 5:51:00 AM   
skukko

Charles22 and Larry Holt: Flanking moves are steps of the wardancing. I think so and so think you. Atleast my maps has space get some 100x240 map and play it with 3500 points or less each. If you are not getting bored after fourth turn without enemy in sight, you are close to be enthusiasts...which I think that I am... mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 22
- 2/15/2001 5:56:00 AM   
mogami

He you all...take a 100x240 map and 3500 points of units...its a big map (add a lot of turns (30-50) and you have a good battle. There are those victory hexes to let you know where to find the enemy (but not what direction he is coming from) Battles can always end before the turns allowed are used (occupy all the objectives/break the enemy) IMHO battles should not just end....one side should be forced to admit defeat and withdraw. Or one side meets all it's mission objectives, with the enemy unable/unwilling to retake them. ------------------ I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a differant direction! [This message has been edited by Mogami (edited February 14, 2001).]

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 23
- 2/15/2001 6:57:00 AM   
Charles22

skukko: I think I agree but 3500 pts. goes a lot further in '39 than '45. So, in '39, 3500 pts. might buy 100 units, but that doesn't include support. If I have 100+ units and the map width is 80, do you think I can be outflanked? I don't think so. What's even more miserable is to occassionally getting stuck with the 40 wide map, thus ensuring two or three rows of units all the way across (not that I would position them that way, but it points out the futility of trying to outflank with a smaller map, although I realize that that particular map is MEANT to confine one to a direct attack). Goodness me! I can't imagine going four turns and not seeing the enemy (particularly if they were attacking). Ah, how much more sporting it would be to actually have to do some REAL hunting. Having a 3500 force with a rear with two very outside objectives and one mid one, with two more along the front, would probably make for such good fun. Given that the AI would have so much room to roam and the tendency for it to not always go after just one, two, or three objectives on the front, this would be quite interesting, but, alas, I know it not.

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 24
- 2/15/2001 8:03:00 PM   
ruxius

OOOOOOOOOOOOH FINALLY it's time to pay for demonstrating how much we love you boys !! If you have done so much and so well for free how much more should we expect from something that will be awarded with our direct money support ? Reality has left very far behind when such a dream comes true ! So you can count on me with this REAL support and moreover I hope that everyone who has been 'captured' from SPWAW will do the same now that is time to translate words in facts ! I live in Italy and I have no credit card with me...I bought SPWAW 3.0 from EZcd.com last summer...I wrote to them and I stated about my lack of credit card..I asked to them if I could mail dollars directly into a post-folder... This was succesfull..I received the CD and they received my money...Maybe this is quite unsafe...but I loved too much SPWAW that I tried ...it was the cheapest way to do it .. Will be this possible also for SPWAW5 ? Secondly I would ask if there will be some improvements in campaign editor such as the possibility of creating more flexible campaigns..I would like to prepare an Italian long campaign but I have some trouble in modelling core units . Where I can write about this ? Thank for all since the beginning ! FranK !

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 25
- 2/15/2001 10:05:00 PM   
lynchc

Finally! A way of showing our thanks for all of your hard work. I have been introducing the pleasures of SP to my friends and we are all enjoying this game greatly. I haven't even played another game since v 4.5. It would be great to have a campaign made for human v human if that kind of balance could be worked in. Looking forward to buying the CD!

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 26
- 2/16/2001 7:13:00 AM   
Cyric

This place foams in praises Well deserved praises i might add. I am too one of those miserable low-tech humanoids who don't posses credit cards, so i would appreciate for some other means of purchasing SPWaW 5. Post order perhaps?

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 27
- 2/16/2001 10:30:00 AM   
BlitzSS

We gotta keep this one on the top since: SPWAW Ver 5 will rule!!!

"Nuts"

(in reply to Phil)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega Campaign in SPWAW 5???? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI