Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hey

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Hey Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hey - 12/31/2002 8:01:39 PM   
Hawk

I dont know if anyone said it yet but
Hamburger Hill...Dam that movie sucked.
How high was that hill.:confused:
They were forever climbing a 90 degree angle hill...:( I understand there was Friendly fire but ouch.......i think the audience also got hit at the box office....:mad: :mad:

=A82A=Hawk[Maj]|LP|
"All we knew was.....We were in this TOGETHER" ......Band of Brothers

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 61
Dumb War Movie - 12/31/2002 10:01:33 PM   
Stefdragon

Stupid Plot.

RED DAWN?

:(

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 62
- 12/31/2002 11:10:56 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Red Dawn wasn't a war movie.

Hence pointless to mention it.

It was a cheesy action flick with a lot of guys wearing combats if it was anything.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 63
Red Dawn - 1/1/2003 1:42:16 AM   
Stefdragon

Hey, if it was pointless to mention it, why did you?

I don't know, a cheesy action flick with lots of guys in combats sure sounds like a bad war movie to me.

Maybe we need to have another Molson to agree on something!

Happy New Year!

:D

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 64
- 1/1/2003 1:57:07 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hehe Stef me remarking on your remark is me remarking on your remark man eh:)

You mentioned the film.

I am rebutting your remark.

But no, a war movie is not merely some guys in combats (although combats do figure in war movies hehe).

If a war movie was just guys in combats, then the evening news is a war movie, hey its on film and those guys had combats on eh.

See my point?

A war movie is a category. There is little point to categorisation though, if their are no boundaries in place to distinguish the difference.

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 65
- 1/1/2003 2:00:14 AM   
CCB

You know, I think Red Dawn IS a war movie. Its set during WW3. The guys are running around with assault rifles, tanks, attack copters, etc. I mean, if that ain't a war movie, I don't know what is.

OK, sure they weren't uniformed soldiers, but don't partisans count too?

Peux Ce Que Veux
in den vereinigten staaten hergestellt

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 66
- 1/1/2003 2:55:38 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Don't work CCB remember Korea? That wasn't a war, says right here in my history books.

Police Action. So it was a crime drama of some sort eh.

And Vietnam wasn't a war, something about dominos I think, so that hmm makes Vietnam a sporting contest (hmmm rather rough game though eh, right up with Aussie Rules Football:) )

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 67
- 1/1/2003 4:46:33 AM   
Twotribes

Yes the premise of the movie Red Dawn was that WWIII had started. SO it was a war movie, but only showed us as the kids being partisans.

I rather liked it, pretty lame for capabilities, not like a bunch of highschool kids are going to be that successful against real troops, and the are was supposed to be guarded by the front line troops that took it.

Entertaining though.

I liked Blawk Hawk Down too, still havent gotten an answer as to why that one was listed here as no good. But by the above definition it wasnt a war movie either since it was a peace keeping mission for the UN. )

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 68
- 1/1/2003 5:12:04 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Kids against real troops?

Hmm maybe the Palestinians, Vietnamese, Polish, French, Russians etc, could tell you how kids can be quite nasty when they are forced to be.

There is nothing "nice" about fighting civilians on their home turf in a lot of cases.

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 69
- 1/1/2003 3:22:40 PM   
Randy

My worst war movie has to be Fireball Forward with Ben Gazarra in the early/mid 70s. It was a lame scenario with clips from Patton and I think Battle of the Bulge. I think it became a TV series for a short season.

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 70
Re: Hey - 1/2/2003 1:25:22 PM   
Raindog101

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hawk
[B]I dont know if anyone said it yet but
They were forever climbing a 90 degree angle hill...:( I understand there was Friendly fire but ouch.......i think the audience also got hit at the box office....:mad: :mad: [/B][/QUOTE]
Hamburger Hill was 937 meters high. Extremely thick jungle. Very steep ascent, not helped by heavy monsoon rains. Many, Many booby traps, and stolen, captured or black market US claymore mines in the trees. CQ fighting resulted in one gunship pass raking friendly troops.

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 71
- 1/2/2003 7:40:13 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

And if that doesn't make the hill seem several times as high as 937 meters nothing ever will eh.

I thought it was a good movie myself.

Not awesome, but faulting it for depicting what it was, for the reason it was called what it was seems silly doncha think?

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 72
Two thumbs down - 1/2/2003 7:55:22 PM   
Noodleboy

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Twotribes
[B]

I liked Blawk Hawk Down too, still havent gotten an answer as to why that one was listed here as no good. But by the above definition it wasnt a war movie either since it was a peace keeping mission for the UN. ) [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry, didn't spot that.

As a film, it was okay. Lots of action, lots of bullets, nice sets.
As a film based on a book portraying real-life events, it was pants. i've seen a couple of documentaries now on the events of Mogadishu and the information gleaned from interviews with the people living near 'Ranger Street' is rather at odds with the film portrayal.

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 73
- 1/2/2003 8:14:38 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Ahhhh once again someone disappointed that a movie somehow refused to portray something like it actually happened, how sad hehe.

They do this with books too eh.

Oh and want to hear the truth about Santa Claus?

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 74
- 1/2/2003 11:16:02 PM   
Maliki

Read the book BlackHawk Down.Awesome read,and one of the biggest things they changed for the movie was the combining of several Rangers into one or two characters.By the way anyone remember the name of that movie where that Aircraft Carrier gets sucked through a vortex and finds itself back in time,right before Pearl Harbor?

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 75
- 1/3/2003 12:21:33 AM   
dighost

The carrier movie was the "Final Countdown" with Martin Sheen...

Great part where the two zero's are intercepted by the tomcats..hehe

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 76
- 1/3/2003 12:31:50 AM   
Maliki

I liked the part where they met some old friends at the end.

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 77
- 1/3/2003 1:07:48 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

The Final Countdown

If that film interested you, The Philidelphia Experiement might be entertaining to you if you have not seen it yet.

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 78
- 1/3/2003 2:09:48 AM   
Maliki

Actually there is one movie that i'm interested in,its not a war movie per say.Its about a castle in Hungary or Romania,i think,and theres these German troops stationed there well they go messing around in the castle and all hell breaks loose so to speak.Its called the Keep,i think,read the book but never seen the movie.

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 79
- 1/3/2003 2:30:14 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I have not read the book, but the film was fun.

Atypical creepy thing though, but an interesting movie.

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 80
- 1/3/2003 2:37:24 AM   
Maliki

Well at least i got the name right.

And since this is a worst movie thread i'll have to agree with whoever said Battle of the Bulge.I get nauseous if i even see it programmed for that week.

On the flip side one "War" movie i could watch anytime is Kelly's Heroes.At least that one was more realistic:p

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 81
- 1/3/2003 8:24:48 AM   
Brigz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dighost
[B]The carrier movie was the "Final Countdown" with Martin Sheen...[/QUOTE] Another movie I didn't like. A movie about a nuclear aircraft carrier with Tomcats taking on the 1941 equipped Japanese Navy just isn't very interesting. And besides, it was another lame, "big picture" with a "made for TV" script. Reminded me of the old "Time Tunnel" TV series. The only good thing about it was that Kathrine Ross was in it (Sam Elliot is a very lucky man).

[QUOTE][B]Great part where the two zero's are intercepted by the tomcats..hehe [/B][/QUOTE] Real exciting. You really didn't think those Zero's had any chance of shooting down those F-14's did you?;)

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 82
- 1/3/2003 8:33:19 AM   
Brigz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CCB
[B]You know, I think Red Dawn IS a war movie. Its set during WW3. The guys are running around with assault rifles, tanks, attack copters, etc. I mean, if that ain't a war movie, I don't know what is.

OK, sure they weren't uniformed soldiers, but don't partisans count too? [/B][/QUOTE]

So was "Starship Troopers" a war movie? I actually liked that movie very much. So much that I bought the DVD.
Ken and Barbies fighting some really ugly and vicious bugs. Great special effects. And I really liked the co-ed shower facilities. Doesn't get much better than that. Sure looked like war to me.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 83
- 1/3/2003 9:32:49 AM   
Raindog101

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave Briggs
[B]So was "Starship Troopers" a war movie? I actually liked that movie very much. So much that I bought the DVD.
Ken and Barbies fighting some really ugly and vicious bugs. Great special effects. And I really liked the co-ed shower facilities. Doesn't get much better than that. Sure looked like war to me. [/B][/QUOTE]
Defining a “war movie” is turning out to be just as interesting as the original topic.
Is “Gunga Din” a war movie? How about “Zulu Dawn”? If “Gunga Din” was a war movie, is “The Four Feathers”(all 4 versions) a war movie? How about “The Wild Geese”? or “The Dogs of War”? If “Starship Troopers” is a war movie(I would say yes, it is)then so is “Red Dawn” I would think…

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 84
Hamburger Hill.. - 1/3/2003 2:03:26 PM   
wulfir

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hawk
[B]I dont know if anyone said it yet but
They were forever climbing a 90 degree angle hill...:( I understand there was Friendly fire but ouch.......i think the audience also got hit at the box office....:mad: :mad: [/B][/QUOTE]

I thought it was an OK movie.

Liked the beginning with the camera 'floting' along the Vietnam memorial gradually being replaced with running troops..

Some cool details too, like sandbags on the trucks - for protection against mines I guess..

Semper in Primis

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 85
Re: Hamburger Hill.. - 1/3/2003 6:23:23 PM   
abradley

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wulfir
[B]I thought it was an OK movie.

Liked the beginning with the camera 'floting' along the Vietnam memorial gradually being replaced with running troops..

Some cool details too, like sandbags on the trucks - for protection against mines I guess.. [/B][/QUOTE]

I read someplace it was pretty accurate, the biggest change they made was having one squad through the whole battle...in the real battle the troops were rotated. But most of it was accurate...including the General overhead in the chopper grypping because they ain't moving fast enough.

Heard that after the battle the troops raise a bunch of money for someone to take him out!

I liked it...but I would!

"This situation we face – Suicidal maniacs from a failed civilization want to murder us all, and most people don’t believe it is really happening – sounds like something out of a science fiction novel by Philip K. Dick. But it is real. " ChicagoBoyz

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 86
The Keep - 1/4/2003 12:59:27 AM   
Noodleboy

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maliki
[B]Actually there is one movie that i'm interested in,its not a war movie per say.Its about a castle in Hungary or Romania,i think,and theres these German troops stationed there well they go messing around in the castle and all hell breaks loose so to speak.Its called the Keep,i think,read the book but never seen the movie. [/B][/QUOTE]

The movie was made by Michael Mann (Heat, Manhunter) and starred Jurgen Prochnow i think and David Carradine. The music was the lowpoint (Tangerine Dream) and it didn't capture the creepiness of the book.

The uniforms were pretty accurate and the suspense was adequate i suppose. Need to see it again actually to give it a proper review. i think it could be meade better with today's special effects.

As for Starship Troopers -why didn't they just use tanks? -d'oh!!

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 87
"Come and See" - 1/5/2003 12:42:27 AM   
Stefdragon

I know this thread is supposed to be about the worst movie, so I will offer "The Marx Brothers Storm Verdun!"

No seriously.

Anyone else see the Soviet 1985 movie "Come And See"?

I thought it was one of the most intense damnations of war, using some of the most powerful and moving visual imagery of savagery, I have ever seen.

It's about Russian Partisans in 1943 BelyoRussia.

It centers on two male and female teenagers who are caught up in the whole bloody mess.

In the States, it is rated 3 1/2 out of 4 Stars!

You must see this movie if you play WIR!

In a previous post I told you all to check out the Yugo "No Man's Land", come and see "Come And See", and I think you will also be impressed.

(Word of advice, don't eat a big meal first!)

Let me know what you think!

:)

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 88
- 1/5/2003 1:05:32 PM   
Matt Erickson

This thread topic popped up in battlfronts website....I nominated
....invasion of america...crap it was so bad when I saw it as a kid it gave me nightmares any ways it was about italy taking over america...well i think it was italy geez...but for a more contemporary slant I nominate..."the siege of firebase gloria"
never seen so many near sighted VC in a movie ever!

I bought blackhawk down on dvd havent whatched it yet(or opened it) should I or return it?:confused:

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 89
Re: "Come and See" - 1/5/2003 1:16:03 PM   
davewolf

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stefdragon
[B]Anyone else see the Soviet 1985 movie "Come And See"?

I thought it was one of the most intense damnations of war, using some of the most powerful and moving visual imagery of savagery, I have ever seen.

It's about Russian Partisans in 1943 BelyoRussia.

It centers on two male and female teenagers who are caught up in the whole bloody mess.

In the States, it is rated 3 1/2 out of 4 Stars!

You must see this movie if you play WIR!

In a previous post I told you all to check out the Yugo "No Man's Land", come and see "Come And See", and I think you will also be impressed.

(Word of advice, don't eat a big meal first!)[/B][/QUOTE]
Correctly. If you want to see the horrors of war (crimes), there you go.

I remember barely that I once watched parts of "Come and see". (I didn't know that it would be interesting before. Didn't see it again in the meantime. Shame on me...) Even that little memory still makes me shiver.

There you can see the one and only bad wolf.

Homo homini lupus, as we Turks use to say...

(in reply to dighost)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Hey Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI