Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

iOS wargames

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> iOS wargames Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
iOS wargames - 4/29/2013 6:30:02 PM   
Kuokkanen

What wargames do we have for iPhone? We can discuss iPad games too.

This one looks promising... I could need new iPhone to run that. Or maybe it is time to get iPad...

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Post #: 1
RE: iOS wargames - 4/29/2013 6:37:45 PM   
rodney727

Hi Matt . Huge iPad fan here. I have not played mech warrior in awhile not since my ps1 days. I saw this also. It looks good. Panzer corps and commander the Great War are comming to the iPad. BA is one of my favorite games that slitherine has put out for the iPad . Legion is also a very good game.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

This one looks promising... I could need new iPhone to run that. Or maybe it is time to get iPad...

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 2
RE: iOS wargames - 4/29/2013 7:24:33 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

I have not played mech warrior in awhile not since my ps1 days. I saw this also. It looks good.

To me MechWarrior: Tactical Command looks closer match to MechCommander serie...

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 3
RE: iOS wargames - 4/29/2013 7:28:07 PM   
shunwick

Rogo727,

Would TOAW III be suitable for an iPad? I suspect it would. If I remember correctly, Ralph was playing around with connecting his computer to an iPad. That is - running TOAW III on his computer but controlling the game from his iPad. I do not know how big a step it is between that and running the game on the iPad itself.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 4/29/2013 7:29:58 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 4
RE: iOS wargames - 4/29/2013 8:10:41 PM   
carnifex

Has anyone checked out or played this Civil War game? Minus for the "cute" graphics, plus for hexes :)

http://ipadboardgames.org/2013/civil-war/

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 5
RE: iOS wargames - 4/29/2013 10:13:48 PM   
rodney727

The truth of the matter is any game can be played on the the ipad...but you are right toaw would be a great game for the iPad ! I promised slitherine that I wouldn't post anymore on how to run their company... But this would be an awesome game to bring new wargamers into. I am sorry that I have offended you in the past. I got caught up in the moment. And for that I truly apologize not only to you but to but the whole in tire matrix forum. I'm extending an olive branch out to everyone. I hope you accept my apology.
quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Rogo727,

Would TOAW III be suitable for an iPad? I suspect it would. If I remember correctly, Ralph was playing around with connecting his computer to an iPad. That is - running TOAW III on his computer but controlling the game from his iPad. I do not know how big a step it is between that and running the game on the iPad itself.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 4/29/2013 10:14:15 PM >

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 6
RE: iOS wargames - 4/29/2013 10:20:40 PM   
rodney727

Yes it,is fun. Wish however they started out with Shiloh or bull run. If you like this game you should check out tank battles 1944. Should point out that slitherine and haunted cow has teamed up for some project . Haunted cow is making a big deal about it while slitherine has little to say on it. Please Iain can you tell us more?
quote:

ORIGINAL: carnifex

Has anyone checked out or played this Civil War game? Minus for the "cute" graphics, plus for hexes :)

http://ipadboardgames.org/2013/civil-war/

[/quote

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 7
RE: iOS wargames - 4/30/2013 12:08:03 AM   
shunwick

quote:

The truth of the matter is any game can be played on the the ipad...but you are right toaw would be a great game for the iPad ! I promised slitherine that I wouldn't post anymore on how to run their company... But this would be an awesome game to bring new wargamers into. I am sorry that I have offended you in the past. I got caught up in the moment. And for that I truly apologize not only to you but to but the whole in tire matrix forum. I'm extending an olive branch out to everyone. I hope you accept my apology.
quote:

Rogo727,

Best wishes,
Steve

Rogo727,

I was not offended by anything you said to me and I do understand that you were getting it in the neck from a lot of people and much heat was generated. However, I still think your suggestion of adding lashings of dark chocolate syrup on top of strawberry and banana ice cream was both evil and despicable. ... and tasty...

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 4/30/2013 12:10:36 AM >

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 8
RE: iOS wargames - 4/30/2013 12:30:40 AM   
rodney727

I was told not say lol fowled by and ! But sorry lol! That was funny.
quote:

quote:

quote:

Rogo727,

Best wishes,
Steve

Rogo727,

I was not offended by anything you said to me and I do understand that you were getting it in the neck from a lot of people and much heat was generated. However, I still think your suggestion of adding lashings of dark chocolate syrup on top of strawberry and banana ice cream was both evil and despicable. ... and tasty...

Best wishes,
Steve

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 9
RE: iOS wargames - 4/30/2013 1:35:51 AM   
rhondabrwn

OMG... How I want a banana split right now

And... glad to see all the tempers going into remission

Now, how about some games for my Kindle Fire? I feel so alone and... sniff... unwanted....

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 10
RE: iOS wargames - 4/30/2013 1:48:50 AM   
rodney727

Check out small general eastern front on google play. This devopler has many fine games that I wish were on the iPad.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 11
RE: iOS wargames - 4/30/2013 7:46:54 PM   
Kuokkanen

I went through my computer magazines, and found what I was looking for: (short) list of iPad games. Among those is Battle of the Bulge, operational level wargame about you-know-what. Hunters 2 is said to be turn based tactical combat like UFO and X-COM series, and that is also available for iPhone. Has anyone in here played those games? Should rest of us buy those already?

What comes to PC games, there are tablets with Windows operating systems. If desktop/laptop PC games work on those, no need to make conversions for iOS nor Android machines. Is that not the case?

MekWars

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 12
RE: iOS wargames - 4/30/2013 8:26:12 PM   
rodney727

I have battle of the bulge and it is probably the best wargame made for the iPad now (sorry slitherine). While there is only two scenarios one long and one short no two games are ever the same. While with "splashtop" you can play any game you have on your computer with your iPad . While this is a new market and slitherine is just now discovering a whole new world with tablet gamming. If they did sell 200,000 copies of panzer corps on the PC just think how many "copies " they would sale in a market of over 50 million apple users? While it takes time to convert the file over the iOS I would much rather play a panzer corps that was made for the iPad then have to remote my computer to play the game. Hope this helps.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 13
RE: iOS wargames - 4/30/2013 8:52:58 PM   
U2

quote:

I have battle of the bulge and it is probably the best wargame made for the iPad now (sorry slitherine). While there is only two scenarios one long and one short no two games are ever the same. While with "splashtop" you can play any game you have on your computer with your iPad .

I have it and I agree with you. Good stuff. Can't wait for the next one.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 14
RE: iOS wargames - 4/30/2013 11:49:09 PM   
rodney727

I'd like to keep this thread up on top so every day I will list my favorite games to play that are available for download. First up is tank battles 1944. Anyone have this?

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 15
RE: iOS wargames - 5/1/2013 5:11:00 AM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

First up is tank battles 1944. Anyone have this?

I searched iStore for that, and found Tank Battle: 1944. Looks like Steel Panthers type game many in this forum are craving for.

MekWars

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 16
RE: iOS wargames - 5/1/2013 7:45:09 PM   
TheGreatRadish

iPanzer 1942 and 1945 scratch the itch for me while I'm waiting on the iOS Panzer Corps and CTGW.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 17
RE: iOS wargames - 5/2/2013 12:53:03 AM   
rodney727

You should check out Wodins post on ace patrol! This game looks good due out May 9th!

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to TheGreatRadish)
Post #: 18
RE: iOS wargames - 5/2/2013 12:54:28 AM   
rodney727

When they first released this game I was not impressed, however with the updates it has a real "panzer general" feel to it.. it is getting better I will admit.
quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGreatRadish

iPanzer 1942 and 1945 scratch the itch for me while I'm waiting on the iOS Panzer Corps and CTGW.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

Post #: 19
RE: iOS wargames - 5/2/2013 1:04:06 AM   
wodin

Not my post:)..but boy this is what upsets me about tablets..I can't play it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and John Butterfield was involved in that Bulge game..so you really can't go wrong. He is the sort of designer Slitherine should be getting involved in making games for them...here..now!

quote:

You should check out Wodins post on ace patrol! This game looks good due out May 9th!

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 20
RE: iOS wargames - 5/2/2013 4:49:36 AM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

Wouldn't it be easier to get Windows tablet instead and play Panzer Corps (and TOAW3) with it? Why not?

MekWars

Post #: 21
RE: iOS wargames - 5/2/2013 5:36:45 AM   
rodney727

Well sure you could. But I want to see these games on the iPad !! Didn't think I would enjoy BA on my iPad but I'm having a blast with it.
quote:

quote:

Wouldn't it be easier to get Windows tablet instead and play Panzer Corps (and TOAW3) with it? Why not?

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 22
RE: iOS wargames - 5/2/2013 12:07:52 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

Matti,

There are Windows tablets? I thought there were only iPad and Android tablets. You learn something everyday.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 5/2/2013 12:08:24 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 23
RE: iOS wargames - 5/2/2013 12:58:06 PM   
jjdenver

quote:

quote:

also

I'm sorry to say that the review I read for this game didn't seem very positive:
Pocket Tactics Mechwarrior review

But there are some good ones out there - Wesnoth, Phantom Leader, Battle of the Bulge, Battle Academy, Combat Mission Touch, etc

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 24
RE: iOS wargames - 5/2/2013 1:04:37 PM   
jjdenver

quote:

quote:

quote:

Matti,

There are Windows tablets? I thought there were only iPad and Android tablets. You learn something everyday.

Best wishes,
Steve

quote:

market

Windows Tablet I think uses a different OS and won't run a lot of or most windows games.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 25
RE: iOS wargames - 5/2/2013 1:16:47 PM   
wodin

I thought Windows tablet ran Win 8 as thats what it was designed for.

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 26
RE: iOS wargames - 5/2/2013 3:26:40 PM   
rodney727

Yes and I think this is the wave of the future. The windows tablet has a keyboard the attaches to it. On down the road I can see it replacing my laptop. The one I saw at best buy was being sold at $1400. Blackberry also has a tablet.
quote:

quote:

quote:

Matti,

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 5/2/2013 3:28:19 PM >

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 27
RE: iOS wargames - 5/2/2013 3:41:37 PM   
catwhoorg

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I thought Windows tablet ran Win 8 as thats what it was designed for.

There are a couple of tablet like systems using windows.

One set runs Win8, are basically touchscreen full function laptops.

The other uses WinRT and is designed for CPUs that are similar to other tablets etc.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 28
RE: iOS wargames - 5/2/2013 4:42:13 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: jjdenver

Windows Tablet I think uses a different OS and won't run a lot of or most windows games.

According the Wikipedia, tablet versions of Windows XP aren't much more different from basic desktop versions than Windows XP Media Center. Really now, doesn't anyone in here have any experiences with Windows tablets?

quote:

The windows tablet has a keyboard the attaches to it.

Those are called hybrid.

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 5/2/2013 4:44:11 PM >

MekWars

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 29
RE: iOS wargames - 5/2/2013 7:12:26 PM   
rodney727

I just think if you are going to spend that much money might as well buy a laptop . Just my opinion tho.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> iOS wargames Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI