Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

8th Austrialian Division rebuild question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> 8th Austrialian Division rebuild question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8th Austrialian Division rebuild question - 5/9/2013 11:51:25 PM   
lojishen

If the two brigades of the 8th Australian go down in Singers, are you still able to create the division using the remaining pieces, i.e. Gull, Lark, and Sparrow detachments?

If you can, is it even worth it, given the replacement rates for Australia?

I see several AARs trying to save the two Australian brigades, other AARs having some success in delaying Singapore fall with them. As I'm planning my first grand campaign, I'm trying to way the pro's and con's of saving them. If you don't need them to build the 8th division, I'm thinking the best purposes of the Singers brigades is to delay that city's fall.

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: 8th Austrialian Division rebuild question - 5/9/2013 11:57:49 PM   
patrickl

All the 5 detachments have to be in a base same time while under a similar command and op mode to be rebuilt.

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 2
RE: 8th Austrialian Division rebuild question - 5/10/2013 12:00:10 AM   
Q-Ball

If the 2 Bdes at Singers are destroyed, you can re-build the division with whatever elements are left. Even if only one Bn is left, that's enough.

The real question is whether you should.

Personally, I think you can if you manage the Aussies right and don't have alot of losses, but probably not until 1943.

(in reply to patrickl)
Post #: 3
RE: 8th Austrialian Division rebuild question - 5/10/2013 12:53:58 AM   
lojishen

Thanks Q-Ball. That is what I was looking for. Didn't want to have to pay PPs to buy out the two destroyed brigades just to rebuild a division that might pay off in '43.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 4
RE: 8th Austrialian Division rebuild question - 5/10/2013 12:58:31 AM   
Lokasenna

If they die at Singers, you should be able to buy them back with PPs from the destroyed ground units screen.

Depending on your PP situation and priorities (and needs for LCUs, as well as the state of your device pools), I might recommend buying them back. Divisions are handy things to have for a big fight.

(in reply to patrickl)
Post #: 5
RE: 8th Austrialian Division rebuild question - 5/10/2013 1:23:52 AM   
lojishen

Hmm, confused again.

If they die, why would I buy back the two brigades if I can rebuild the division with the few remaining parts as Q-ball states?

Thanks,

lojishen

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 6
RE: 8th Austrialian Division rebuild question - 5/10/2013 1:42:25 AM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: lojishen

Hmm, confused again.

If they die, why would I buy back the two brigades if I can rebuild the division with the few remaining parts as Q-ball states?

Thanks,

lojishen

You don't need to, it would be a waste of PPs if you are going to re=build the division anyway

You can actually build every Aussie division up to a '43 version, if you manage the upgrades carefully

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 7
RE: 8th Austrialian Division rebuild question - 5/10/2013 1:42:30 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Hmm, confused again.

Thanks,

lojishen

I'm sorry, they ninja posted on me!

I'm going to defer to Q-Ball and say with 99% certainty that he's correct while I'm not . You'll still have to rebuild the units from whatever strength is left just as if you had bought back the missing brigades with PPs, so it's still dependent on your pools levels. Given that all of the Australian divisions start understrength, this is probably not until 1943 as he says.

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 8
RE: 8th Austrialian Division rebuild question - 5/10/2013 5:36:30 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

quote:

Hmm, confused again.

Thanks,

lojishen

You don't need to, it would be a waste of PPs if you are going to re=build the division anyway

You can actually build every Aussie division up to a '43 version, if you manage the upgrades carefully

You can, but quite frankly you will never have the devices which are shared by most all Commonwealth units. If you are fighting with the Indian Army then rebuilding any more than four Aussie divisions is almost impossible. Once Oz was out of danger I found myself disbanding virtually all independent brigades for the infantry squads. Got enough squads but in 1945 most of my Australian divisions at the front (five) are still short of devices. 3 inch mortars, six pounder AT guns, Piat AT squads, Bren AA, Bofors 40 mm AA guns come to mind. I still have one or two Indian divisions with 18 pounder artillery pieces. The replacement rates for Commonwealth devices is just not very good...I rebuilt the Singapore brigades and rebuilt the division but if I had to do it over again I would not have bothered.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 9
RE: 8th Austrialian Division rebuild question - 5/10/2013 7:37:55 AM   
castor troy

quote:

If the 2 Bdes at Singers are destroyed, you can re-build the division with whatever elements are left. Even if only one Bn is left, that's enough.

Personally, I think you can if you manage the Aussies right and don't have alot of losses, but probably not until 1943.

Yeah, if you recombine 8th Div some time in early 42 it takes until late 43 to have the unit filled out. Took nearly no Aussie losses in my ongoing PBEM and 8th div is now taking part in the liberation of Luzon in 9/43 at something like 95% of it's TOE and I had the div taking replacement for something like one and a halve years. All my other Aussie bgd and div are also fully filled though. If one really has to replace combat losses in existing Aussie units then it will just take forever to fill out 8th Div and I'd say it wouldn't be worth it as the Allied are swimming in LCU by 44 anyway.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 5/10/2013 7:39:34 AM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 10
RE: 8th Austrialian Division rebuild question - 5/10/2013 11:03:45 PM   
bigred

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

Yeah, if you recombine 8th Div some time in early 42 it takes until late 43 to have the unit filled out. Took nearly no Aussie losses in my ongoing PBEM and 8th div is now taking part in the liberation of Luzon in 9/43 at something like 95% of it's TOE and I had the div taking replacement for something like one and a halve years. All my other Aussie bgd and div are also fully filled though. If one really has to replace combat losses in existing Aussie units then it will just take forever to fill out 8th Div and I'd say it wouldn't be worth it as the Allied are swimming in LCU by 44 anyway.

IIRC if u disband a unit you only get half of the TOE back in the pool(not sure I am correct). I Disbanded one division to load out all the others. If the 8th div brigades at singers get mauled probably better to disband the whole division.

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 11
RE: 8th Austrialian Division rebuild question - 5/11/2013 11:04:31 PM   
Ddog

Not to Highjack the thread, but on the topic of rebuilding, when I buy back units and they arrive on map devoid of troops.  I place them in "Rest" mode.  Does this help?  And is there anything that helps units build strength faster?  Keep in mind they are at bases like Aden and Cape with plenty of supply.

I'd rather be lucky than good.

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 12
RE: 8th Austrialian Division rebuild question - 5/12/2013 1:23:30 AM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigred

IIRC if u disband a unit you only get half of the TOE back in the pool(not sure I am correct). I Disbanded one division to load out all the others. If the 8th div brigades at singers get mauled probably better to disband the whole division.

Doesn't that only apply to disabled squads????

I believe the logic is that disabled squads are not full strength anyway and it prevents players from using the pool to instantly repair huge numbers of squads in one go.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> 8th Austrialian Division rebuild question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI