Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!! - 5/10/2013 4:25:12 PM   
SLAAKMAN

LMAOROFL!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_pw8duzGUg

Learn your geography U Silly Newblettes. Dont let this happen to you!

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
Post #: 1
RE: Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!! - 5/10/2013 5:43:02 PM   
Jevhaddah

Chuckle...

But... In fairness yoo could pick random people here in the UK who would be just as thick.

Also, the video only shows the numptys who got the answers wrong... What about about the peeps that got them right?

Still... I did have a wee chuckle

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 2
RE: Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!! - 5/10/2013 6:52:40 PM   
Josh

Very funny; Amsterdam ---> Amsterdamnians? LOL
You know the thing with Jay Leno is even looking at him I start laughing... can't help it, when he lifts his eyebrow a millimeter or so I already have a big grin on my face.

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 3
RE: Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!! - 5/10/2013 7:02:26 PM   
carnifex

This is just silly. No one needs to know geography unless it's part of their job or a hobby. That whole "oh you don't know geography" is just snobbery. "Oh I know where Kazahkstan is, I am so superior."

Your average citizen has a GPS for their location needs, and if some other location is relevant to their life then whatever website they are reading will explain where it is and provide a clickable map.

No one needs information they don't need.

< Message edited by carnifex -- 5/10/2013 7:03:26 PM >

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 4
RE: Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!! - 5/10/2013 7:34:20 PM   
danlongman

Like similar things the idea that you do not need to know geography is only proposed by those who do not bother to learn geography.
You do not need to learn to read and write and have good manners either since it is obvious that you can live long and prosper with none of them.
As proven countless times you do not need knowledge to express an opinion. It is your right. For now.

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 5
RE: Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!! - 5/10/2013 7:53:13 PM   
warspite1

I don't think there is any harm in wanting some idea of where you live on this planet and where key countries are in relation. That's not snobbery - just normal human curiosity and/or a desire for knowledge.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 6
RE: Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!! - 5/10/2013 8:10:44 PM   
carnifex

quote:

Like similar things the idea that you do not need to know geography is only proposed by those who do not bother to learn geography.
You do not need to learn to read and write and have good manners either since it is obvious that you can live long and prosper with none of them.
As proven countless times you do not need knowledge to express an opinion. It is your right. For now.

I'm sorry, did you take my post personally, with all that crap about good manners and every asshole has an opinion? I wasn't aware I was addressing anyone in particular.

Why don't you explain to me and give some specific examples of how a pre-existing knowledge of geography is useful to your average citizen. You can't because it's not. It's boutique knowledge and it's not worth it to be taught in schools as a discrete subject.

If someone needs geographic information, they can look it up as it's needed. That's what the internet and the information age are all about - information on demand. The proper way to respond to that idiot Leno is to say "What you want to know, I'll look it up right now?" and then whip out the mobile.

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I don't think there is any harm in wanting some idea of where you live on this planet and where key countries are in relation. That's not snobbery - just normal human curiosity and/or a desire for knowledge.

Absolutely, and I agree. You want the knowledge you should be able to get it, and get it cheaply and quickly. But my argument is that geography is just not that useful. And if it's not useful, then making fun of people who don't have that knowledge is snobbery.

< Message edited by carnifex -- 5/10/2013 8:13:46 PM >

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 7
RE: Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!! - 5/10/2013 11:59:25 PM   
rodney727

That's not snobbery... But it is in fact the total lack of education in high schools by the US. And before you remark mr. w I'm sure it's the same way in the UK.
quote:

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 8
RE: Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!! - 5/11/2013 12:06:13 AM   
rodney727

You may have a point. I have a minor in GEO. I learned an incredible amount of information. I never took European geography as it was always listed as a night class. Big mistake. Also in high school GEO is not a separate class but mixed in with social sciences in bits and pieces . But then again there is not a class that teaches you how to manage your money or balance a checkbook either. What's worse I wonder?
quote:

ORIGINAL: carnifex

quote:

I'm sorry, did you take my post personally, with all that crap about good manners and every asshole has an opinion? I wasn't aware I was addressing anyone in particular.

Why don't you explain to me and give some specific examples of how a pre-existing knowledge of geography is useful to your average citizen. You can't because it's not. It's boutique knowledge and it's not worth it to be taught in schools as a discrete subject.

If someone needs geographic information, they can look it up as it's needed. That's what the internet and the information age are all about - information on demand. The proper way to respond to that idiot Leno is to say "What you want to know, I'll look it up right now?" and then whip out the mobile.

quote:

Absolutely, and I agree. You want the knowledge you should be able to get it, and get it cheaply and quickly. But my argument is that geography is just not that useful. And if it's not useful, then making fun of people who don't have that knowledge is snobbery.

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 9
RE: Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!! - 5/11/2013 12:13:23 AM   
rodney727

When in doubt always answer with "The Dutch". Response.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Jevhaddah

Chuckle...

But... In fairness yoo could pick random people here in the UK who would be just as thick.

Also, the video only shows the numptys who got the answers wrong... What about about the peeps that got them right?

Still... I did have a wee chuckle

Cheers

Jev

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 10
RE: Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!! - 5/11/2013 5:02:59 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

That's not snobbery... But it is in fact the total lack of education in high schools by the US. And before you remark mr. w I'm sure it's the same way in the UK.
quote:

warspite1

I have often lamented on this forum about the standards of teaching in British schools - Geography and History in particular - so I am not sure why that remark was necessary???

In the papers yesterday, our Education secretary, Michael Gove, was having a go at history being infantalised. Children being taught to learn about Hitler and his henchmen by seeing them as Mr Men characters - apparently Hitler is the spitting image of Mr Fussy..... Also it seems the Middle Ages can be learned about by watching Disney's Robin Hood.

In his speech, Mr Gove said: I may be unfamiliar with all of Roger Hargreaves work but I am not sure he ever got round to producing Mr Anti-Semitic Dictator, Mr Junker General or Mr Dutch Communist scapegoat

Mr Fussy

To be fair, Mr Fussy is the spitting image of AH ... but that doesn't mean we should use him to learn about the b****** .

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/11/2013 10:07:47 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 11
RE: Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!! - 5/11/2013 7:48:18 AM   
Aurelian

It's pretty bad when students can't even find their own country on a map.

Or: http://www.rferl.org/content/article/1068259.html

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 12
RE: Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!! - 5/11/2013 1:42:24 PM   
Chickenboy

Yes, the Leno 'field segments' are amusing enough. They make me shake my head at the lack of common knowledge (and common sense) some people have.

There's a pernicious bent here too that needs to be underscored. Leno wasn't in Inner Mongolia asking some Yak herder the capitol of Ohio. He was getting (mostly white) Americans to make fun of themselves. Southerners seem to be fair game ("rednecks") for this sort of wink-wink fun making. Don't you dare think it's OK to do this to East Coast New York urbane sophisticates, black teenagers, latinos in Southern California or first generation Chinese Americans (through translators). But pick on white Americans from SoCal? I guess that's OK.

That's why, when these sorts of geography name games come up with my European friends, I quickly ask them all about central America and South American geography. American state capitols (particularly for those US states that are larger than most European countries in population) are another good one. Most Europeans that want to get into this "You Americans know nothing about world geography" do have a stilted Euro-centric focus. It's good to shine a light on their areas of ignorance too.

So, the next time some European sniggers about you not knowing the capitol of the Netherlands (population 16.6M), ask them to recite for you the capitol of California (population 37.6M) or Florida (19.0M). Do they know? If not, why on Earth not? Must be their crap educational system.

Either that or WE ARE ALL IGNORANT ABOUT SOMETHING. It's best not to poke too much fun at others, lest we be judged ourselves.

Incidentally, about 90% of the Europeans that I ask about California and Florida state capitols get it wrong. Most Canadians too.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 13
RE: Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!! - 5/11/2013 6:24:50 PM   
IainMcNeil

You can find ignorant people everywhere - the sad thing is it became fashionable to be ignorant in the UK and you're a nerd if you know stuff. I blame programs like Big Brother and all the pop idol clones.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 14
RE: Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!! - 5/11/2013 7:01:10 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

...the sad thing is it became fashionable to be ignorant in the UK and you're a nerd if you know stuff.

That is quite true and is of serious concern.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 15
RE: Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!! - 5/12/2013 5:12:41 PM   
Mobius

quote:

ORIGINAL: carnifex

This is just silly. No one needs to know geography unless it's part of their job or a hobby. That whole "oh you don't know geography" is just snobbery. "Oh I know where Kazahkstan is, I am so superior."

Your average citizen has a GPS for their location needs, and if some other location is relevant to their life then whatever website they are reading will explain where it is and provide a clickable map.

No one needs information they don't need.
Of course not. A lot other subjects can be scrubbed. Math, computers do it for us. Auto correct English software so no one need learn it. Even driver ed may go the way of the dodo with self driving cars. We also don't need to spend gobs of money on teachers and their support staff either. We can cut back school time as well, So each school can handle many more kids in 2 hours shifts. This will allow many schools to be torn down and their land can be re-tasked to farm land or prisons.

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Dont the Brits speak British in Britain??!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI