Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Victory Games Vietnam

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Victory Games Vietnam Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 10/16/2011 3:01:21 AM   
Goodmongo

In a recent game using version 223 against the AI I noticed that the NVN AI had a total of 178 trail and 222 sea supply not used. The game crashes soon thereafter. I think there might be a bug where the VC supply is not being reduced because I actually saw sea supply increase in a non seasonal turn. BTW sea supply went up from 114 to 222 even after placing about 30 battalions and 3 HQ's along the coast.

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 151
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 10/16/2011 4:33:10 PM   
Goodmongo

I think I found two bugs. The first one is that when ARVN supply is down to two you are not allowed to build ARVN regiments which cost two supply. You can build 3 battalions but not the regiments.

The second bug happens vs. the AI. The VC supply is not being reduced. This may just be a reporting error but I can't tell. On the first game turn the VC supply is 64 trail and 26 sea (90 total). As the US I built no troops (only the ARVN from their supply). After the NVN AI went they built lots of VC units but the displayed supply stayed the same. At the next seasonal turn it was 91-36 even after building more VC troops. So something is wrong. Just not sure if it's only the display of supply or the actual supply that the NVN can use.

The above is using the latest version 223 of the grand scenario.

(in reply to Goodmongo)
Post #: 152
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 10/18/2011 5:52:39 AM   
Grymme

The Communist AI thing is a reporting error. The AI doesnt differentiate between trail supply and sea supply so the black reporting boxes were not being updated.

This issue and the ARVN regiment thing will be fixed in 224.

I have slowly started on my final Vietnam War scenario "The fall of Saigon". I have also started a little on some other planned projects, i am thinking of a huge company level Market Garden scenario.

My Advanced Tactics Mod page
http://atgscenarios.wordpress.com

30+ scenarios, maps and mods for AT and AT:G

(in reply to Goodmongo)
Post #: 153
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 10/18/2011 6:16:24 AM   
Keunert

good news!

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 154
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 10/18/2011 8:23:13 AM   
lion_of_judah

now I'm looking forward to this new one " Fall of Saigon". i remember reading but cannot remember which book where the new President of South Vietnam wanted a cease-fire and hold onto the area of Saigon and south but this was rejected. maybe make a event where the U.S. threatend another bombing as in 1972 of Hanoi if the North did not accept this. that would be a very hypothetical but interesting at least in my opinion but just a thought.

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 155
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 10/22/2011 2:41:42 PM   
Grymme

A short update.

I am almost finished with the "Fall of South Vietnam scenario". It will be pretty similar to the Easter Offensive scenario. 5-7 months long (havent decided yet). And it will come with semihistorical setup and the option to choose a free/semi-free setup for either side.

That would mean 4 different play modes
1) Both sides have historical starting positions
2) Free World has historical setup. Communist side has a semi-free setup.
3) Communist side has historical setup. Free World side has free setup.
4) Both sides have free/semi-free setup.

I have also implemented (at least on my computer) a cool system graphics change that makes counters a little more boardgamey. You have to look closely to see it, but i think it looks kind of cool.

Screenshot shows Kontum province. Historical setup.

I am getting ready to leave this series of mods now. Will update with bugs and possible minor changes, but the bulk of the work is done. Have started on a 200*60 hexes Market Garden map.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to lion_of_judah)
Post #: 156
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 10/23/2011 7:31:03 AM   
Grymme

Uploaded v224 of the grand campaign and v16 of the tet offensive grand campaign start.

Basicly its just fixing the two issues that Goodmongo pointed out and another similar issue for one of the ARVN artillery units.

I also packaged v224 of the Grand Campaign scenario as an ATzipfile.

Having some trouble with the Fall of South Vietnam scenario since it seem to contain a gamebreaking bug that i cannot get rid of. An early beta version of that scenario has been uploaded also, but that is mostly for testing purposes.

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 157
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 11/4/2011 10:05:25 AM   
Grymme

I have uploaded a somewhat finished version of the sixth and last scenario in the VG:s Vietnam series.

The fall of South Vietnam (v10). This scenario is included in the VG vietnam Bundle.

This is a 7 round long scenario covering the final NVA offensive against South Vietnam beginning in january 1975 and ending at the start of july 1975.

All US ground units have left the war and both the NVA and ARVN is augmented with tanks and mechanized units.

I have also updated and uploaded a new version of the Briefing to include this scenario. There might still be some gamebugs in this version caused by ATG but theese should be fixed by Vic uploading v210 of ATG in a week or so. I have at least played historical setup against communist AI without any bugs.

Apart from bug fixes and the odd feature improvment this concludes my work on this series of scenarios. There are actually a number of people who have this, so it would be interesting to see some human vs human play.

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 158
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 5/8/2012 2:59:07 AM   
jomni

What happened to grymme?  I contacted him because I want to obtain his scenarios and he hasn't replied yet.

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 159
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 5/9/2012 5:08:45 AM   
Jeffrey H.

I think he's still "around" prolly busy since the new DC series will be similar to one of his scenarios, I'm sure he's involved somehow.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 160
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 5/10/2012 1:12:47 AM   
Mad Russian

I feel for you Grymme.

I once did a Vietnam War 65-72 with battalions. I started with VG Vietnam but put in actual OOB's and had units arrive and leave on their historical dates. Air, land and sea. I put 5 years worth of research into it for TOAW.

Now the system is long since moved on although my scenario is still out there.

After that I decided that I would no longer put more research time into a computer game than it would be played.

Funny thing was, without the US press, we win. Hands down. Just like it would have been with out them distorting the facts.

Hope you learned a lot doing your Vietnam. I did when I worked on mine.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 161
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 5/13/2012 8:45:14 AM   
Grymme

Hi

I am still out here. Not having much time for gaming though with my family life. Also i kind of got tired of modding ATG. Hopefully i will return to it some day. I still play a random game of AT/ATG against a childhood friend from time to time.

I am a betatester for Matrixgames in the new DC title but not involved beoynd that though. I am sure it will be a great title.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 162
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 5/17/2012 3:09:39 AM   
Mad Russian

What is DC?

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 163
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 5/17/2012 4:13:30 AM   
budd

Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 164
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 9/30/2012 12:49:24 PM   
Crowbar92

This looks excellent. I donated today, hopefully I can play this soon. Always wanted a deep Vietnam war campaign.

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 165
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 10/3/2012 8:52:02 AM   
Sensei.Tokugawa

Steve, I played "Boonie Rats" twice, once as the MACV side aganst the AI at the very beginning of my wargaming career and then in the PBEM mode as the Blitz wargaimng club game against a human opponent when I commanded the COSVN NLF/PAVN forces. First time I won soundly in '66, annihilating large ammounts of the NVA regulars and the VC Main Force alike. In the other one my opponent constructed an immpenetrable frontline all along both the Cambodian and Laotian borders, cutting the Ho Cho Minh trail off and isolating that completely, something which was not thinkable in reality - nor feasible. There were no penalties for invading either of the bordering countries so the MACV roamed freel, wrecking everything in their path. i have been studying the Vietnam war and all the Indochina Wars, including the last Sino- Vietnamese one for about eight years now, since 2004. The MACV could win because some of the very basic premises affecting strategically the entire course of war,were from totally outer space I am affraid. but that was good Yu included the SEALs, I had fun with them.

"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 166
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 10/7/2012 6:37:09 PM   
Grymme

Crowbar. Hope you will enjoy the scenarios.

Burroughs. The strategy you detail is not possible in my scenarios. Each round that the FreeWorld forces invade Laos/NV/Cambodia there is a significant morale penalty for their side. It can be a strategy to do a limited invasion. But to occupy any other country will make for a very early withdrawal for the US forces.

Still playing Civ IV, so i havent returned to ATG unfortunatly.

(in reply to Sensei.Tokugawa)
Post #: 167
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 10/7/2012 9:50:51 PM   
Sensei.Tokugawa

Tomas, I am still thinking about Your strategic reconstruction of the Soviet - Afghan War '79 - '89 which I have never managed to lay my hands on - first time I was reculctant to bother wit setting up a PayPal account, then it turned out that a money transfer to Sweden for a couple of euros was going to cost more that the sum to be transferred itself so I deemed that nuts and let go basically. Now I happen to have the accountif I haven't forgotten the password which I believe is recoverable anyway and still no other coverage of the whole theater and the time span hsa surfaced in the meantime ... Having said that I am not that sure if I can arrange an opponent committed enough and whether I am capable of getting back to learning the AT anew, I have never gotten into the game for real and have kind of mixed feelings towards. How come that a game of either operational or strategic level bears the name including the term "tactics"?I know that TOAW III being operational by the some basic assumptions is sometimes tactical in a way and can be made strategic , depending on a scenario selection,but that'sanother story and I am one of the many wargamers advocating the outlook that the strategic level is something that that game hasn't been cut out for.Nevertheless, Your scenarios are the only things that make me thinka bout AT at all. Where did that thread from a playtest of the Afghan scenario go? I used to find that somewhere over here, but don't seem to be able to do that anymore ...

< Message edited by burroughs -- 10/7/2012 9:51:47 PM >

"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 168
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 5/13/2013 10:07:38 PM   
Monty Patton

Hello all out there! I've just joined looking for this computer version of VG: Vietnam {I still have my boardgame copy from years ago}.
Which version of Advanced Tactics series do these scenarios work with? {and is Grymme still out there to receive donations to unlock them?}

(in reply to Sensei.Tokugawa)
Post #: 169
RE: Victory Games Vietnam - 5/14/2013 4:43:54 AM   
lion_of_judah

this scenario was made for ATG and below is a link to his website

http://atgscenarios.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Monty Patton)
Post #: 170
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Victory Games Vietnam Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI