Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Nuke from orbit help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Nuke from orbit help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nuke from orbit help - 5/14/2013 8:41:24 AM   
feygan

Quick question about orbital bombardment, does it destroy wonder buildings? Up until now I have avoided this option on the Shakturi home world due to some very nice wonders I would like, but they have built up too many troop before my invasion force was ready and now I see no other option.
Post #: 1
RE: Nuke from orbit help - 5/14/2013 8:49:19 AM   
Kayoz

Nope. Buildings remain.

Nuke 'em till they glow.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 2
RE: Nuke from orbit help - 5/14/2013 12:34:18 PM   
Osito

Hey, how do you nuke 'em when they have planetary shields? Is there a nuke that goes through shields? Is there a way to peel away shields? I've tried nuking through the shields, but the population remains unaffected.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 3
RE: Nuke from orbit help - 5/14/2013 6:16:03 PM   
Modest

When planet have shields You have only two options (as far as I know). One is to muster a great army and invade. Second is to send a spy with mission to sabotage planetary structure, and hope that he will succed in doing so, and that he will sabotage shield generator.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 4
RE: Nuke from orbit help - 5/14/2013 7:59:38 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito

Hey, how do you nuke 'em when they have planetary shields? Is there a nuke that goes through shields? Is there a way to peel away shields? I've tried nuking through the shields, but the population remains unaffected.

Hrmm - seems that at max tech level, nukes indeed do not work against a shielded planet. The biggest, baddest nukes have absolutely zero effect. I wonder if this applies at all tech level? Is the effectiveness of planetary shields changed by one's shield tech level? If this is the case, it might be an oversight on Erik's part (balance issue - you can only blow up or invade shielded end-game planets).

I was wrong. Modest and you are correct. The only way to take out the Shak (or Guardian) shielded worlds and keep the wonders, does indeed seem to be to hit them with the troop invasion from heck.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 5
RE: Nuke from orbit help - 5/14/2013 8:03:16 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Modest
Second is to send a spy with mission to sabotage planetary structure, and hope that he will succed in doing so, and that he will sabotage shield generator.

I don't recall seeing any intelligence missions giving one the option to destroy installations. You can only sabotage bases, afaik.

(in reply to Modest)
Post #: 6
RE: Nuke from orbit help - 5/14/2013 10:46:16 PM   
ASHBERY76

Shields should leak slightly based on bombard tech.I dislike that this cheap shield building would totally stop advanced tech.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 7
RE: Nuke from orbit help - 5/14/2013 11:32:15 PM   
Bingeling

Not sure, but I think special troops target the defensive structures (including shields) in Shadows. Haven't Erik written about that somewhere?

(Yes, I am a tester for Shadows, but I am not a finesse kind of guy...)

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 8
RE: Nuke from orbit help - 5/15/2013 8:20:23 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

Not sure, but I think special troops target the defensive structures (including shields) in Shadows. Haven't Erik written about that somewhere?

(Yes, I am a tester for Shadows, but I am not a finesse kind of guy...)

Might I ask that you raise the issue with Shadows development? Having planets completely immune to bombardment seems absurd.

If you have 50 capital ships dropping the the biggest bombs in the game onto the planet, surely it's not unreasonable to expect that they have SOME effect.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 9
RE: Nuke from orbit help - 5/15/2013 10:25:52 AM   
Modest

quote:

I don't recall seeing any intelligence missions giving one the option to destroy installations. You can only sabotage bases, afaik.

It is very possible that I remembered it wrong, and You can't do anything about those shields (and other planetary instalations) by sending spy... And the more I thing about it, the more I am sure I was indeed remembering it wrong. And that means it is time for me to play it again! Also I do remember to look for those low quality swamp planets... Maybe I will be lucky to find one for You Kayoz.

I also agree that planetary shields should not have 100% defence against bombardment. At least not forever. BUT! But how about bombarding with railguns? Aren't they supposed to ignore shields to certian %? Will it apply to planetary shields? Personally I never ever used railguns as I preffer longer range and better mobility for my ships... But I do know that advanced railguns may bombard planets. I am just not sure about planetary shield issue in this case...

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 10
RE: Nuke from orbit help - 5/15/2013 3:08:09 PM   
scotten_usa

I think this mechanic needs to be changed, too. It's near impossible to take out an enemy homeworld.

(in reply to Modest)
Post #: 11
RE: Nuke from orbit help - 5/15/2013 10:01:32 PM   
feygan

Definitely unfortunate I cannot drop the bomb. Now it leaves me with only two options, either blow up the planet and loose all those wonders from the galaxy forever. Or ship almost every troop from all planets leaving me open to invasion, with the speed the Shakturi build troops I get drawn into a tedious slog of keeping a fleet in system to deal with ships (even more tedious as they build them with lightning speed), while I conquer half the galaxy just so I have enough troop generation to invade with.

(in reply to scotten_usa)
Post #: 12
RE: Nuke from orbit help - 5/15/2013 10:23:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

In Shadows you would indeed use Special Forces to solve this problem - send in some Special Forces first or along with an invasion and they should disable these kinds of facilities, which would then allow bombardment. Previous to that, the only way was a full ground invasion for a shielded planet. Planetary Shields are currently impervious to bombardment (but not to planet destroyers).

Design-wise, the amount of power a planet can generate far exceeds what a ship in orbit has, that was the logic behind the strength of the planetary shield. I agree that in the long run it would be nice to make this less binary.

As a side note, espionage cannot directly target the shield (something else we should add in the future) but it can try to incite a rebellion on the colony. If it succeeds, the rebellion could damage the shield, so there is an indirect way to potentially do this through espionage, though that's unlikely to work on the Shakturi.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 5/15/2013 10:24:42 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 13
RE: Nuke from orbit help - 5/15/2013 10:49:26 PM   
ASHBERY76

Why would you need to bombard if you are invading with an army anyway.
I am not keen about abusing SF to get the shield down when I know the AI will not do the same.

The game needs some long term mechanics issues sorted in the updates imo.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Nuke from orbit help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI