Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Solo Wargaming using Advanced Tactics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> Solo Wargaming using Advanced Tactics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Solo Wargaming using Advanced Tactics - 5/16/2013 2:02:02 AM   
Lord Karg

I have an old copy of Donald Featherstones 1972 masterpiece "Solo-Wargaming" (which is still in print). I am able to play a wonderfully fun solo wargame using some simple rules and Advanced Tactics Gold. Basically, I setup up ATG as a two-human player "hot-seat" game and use the rules and a single "D20" 20-sided dice.

I have added a link to the battle report (http://www.millerk.net/Campaign1.pdf) which is in progress that shows the rule system and battle so far:
1. Background to campaign
2. Commanders
3. Characteristics for both sides (preference in production, etc.)
4. Minor Tactical Events (random, 4 times a year)
5. Major Strategic Events (random, 2 times a year)
6. Military Unit composition (somewhat flexible)
7. Order of Battle (random)
8. The history of the war May 1934- December/January 1935

I'm using a large map, new commanders, and no roads in the game. I play the best moves for both sides. The random events mix things up. If I need to be objective about something I found you can always roll the D20 dice. By the way, great game Vic.

Post #: 1
RE: Solo Wargaming using Advanced Tactics - 5/16/2013 3:42:47 AM   
lancer

G'day Lord Karg,

This is a very interesting and unique way of using ATG.

Have you thought of putting it up as a series of posts on the forum here rather than a PDF?

Cheers,
Lancer

< Message edited by lancer -- 5/16/2013 3:43:48 AM >

(in reply to Lord Karg)
Post #: 2
RE: Solo Wargaming using Advanced Tactics - 5/16/2013 11:49:20 AM   
jday305

Looking forward to future post.

RebelYell

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 3
RE: Solo Wargaming using Advanced Tactics - 5/16/2013 6:35:29 PM   
Jafele

Hmmmm. It looks interesting

(in reply to jday305)
Post #: 4
RE: Solo Wargaming using Advanced Tactics - 5/16/2013 9:58:25 PM   
Josh

Indeed an original and unique way of playing ATG, very well done. I agree with Lancer I'd love to see this as posted in this forum instead of reading a separate PDF, but I dont know how much more work that would take...

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 5
RE: Solo Wargaming using Advanced Tactics - 5/17/2013 3:04:51 AM   
Lord Karg

I like to put the history of the war in a book for later nostalgic perusal. Plus, the size of the graphics I use is a bit much for the forums database. But I plan on uploading a few interesting actions with graphics as I encounter them. As strange as it sounds, solo-wargaming is quite a bit of fun and keeping a journal of the battles just adds to it. I update the journal of war every 6 turns (6 game months). I use Libre Office and GIMP, both open source software so it's easy and free to create PDFs.

The next war I fight I plan on using the ships Vic has provided and adding some naval rules!!! I can't wait!!!

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 6
RE: Solo Wargaming using Advanced Tactics - 5/17/2013 11:36:27 AM   
jday305

I never thought of playing a solo game like you are doing in this forum. I would have thought that knowing what both sides are doing would make it kind of boring but realize when two sides are in actual armed conflict, there are spies abound and much of the troop movements are known to the other side regardless of military clampdown. The spy networks of WW2 proved this. I will have to rethink my prior view.

RebelYell

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

(in reply to Lord Karg)
Post #: 7
RE: Solo Wargaming using Advanced Tactics - 5/18/2013 9:01:39 PM   
Lord Karg

(I switched to AbiWord which is wonderful. Open Office's word processor lost all my graphics. Below is a sample of the action...)

The next installment is uploaded: http://www.millerk.net/Campaign2.pdf

The Protectorate Raid on Thikvin, January-March 1936

In January, General Brooke became aware that the Soviets were moving large number of troops and supplies to the Northern Front. General Rotmistrov had built two airfields and was building fortifications as he move his powerful Corps Northwest. General Alexander was busy consolidating his position there and was dseperately deploying any force he had to defensive positions.

As a “spoiling attack", General Brooke ordered General Wilson to conduct a “reconnaissance in force” against the Soviet center. With so many forces headed North, the Center might be vulnerable. General Wilson ordered a division sized assault of armored cars, anti-tank guns, field artillery, trucks and the elite Richmond Armory Guards to attack south of Maidstone. The Soviets had just deployed their newest armored train “Patriot” south of the city to add to the defense. The artillery school trainees had just recently taken command of the train and were still learning the controls. When the attack came, the anti-tank and field guns overwhelmed the forces of the armored train and it was totally destroyed in a spectacular explosion and fire with heavy loss of life.

(in reply to jday305)
Post #: 8
RE: Solo Wargaming using Advanced Tactics - 5/22/2013 11:52:09 PM   
Lord Karg

The latest update on the campaign. The Soviets have breached the Protectorate's line! The protectorate is falling back to their fortified line.

I've improved the tactical random events to be more flexible and less disruptive and more like suggestions for the commander. The strategic random events have more to do with strategic "suggestions", production alterations, and etc..

Enjoy!

http://www.millerk.net/Campaign3.pdf

(in reply to Lord Karg)
Post #: 9
RE: Solo Wargaming using Advanced Tactics - 5/23/2013 9:14:03 AM   
Josh

Huh nice read. Never expected to read a solo AAR, but it's quite good actually. The effect is that it resembles a very well balanced gameplay. Also quite original for ATG, build your OOB according to random dice rolls. That introduces a whole new level of gameplay, not build what you think you need but play with what you get randomly.
If you allow me I'll make a new thread about it... too original to let pass.

(in reply to Lord Karg)
Post #: 10
RE: Solo Wargaming using Advanced Tactics - 5/23/2013 11:59:03 PM   
Lord Karg

Go for it. There are all sorts of different approaches to simulate all sorts of "real world" influences (production constraints, material shortages, lack of centralized coordination, etc.).

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 11
RE: Solo Wargaming using Advanced Tactics - 5/27/2013 5:56:09 AM   
Lord Karg

The latest update on the campaign. The Soviets attempt to counter the Protectorate fortified line.

Also the tactical and strategic random events are now very playable and worthy of review.

Contents:
War Economies of the Combatants
Military Technology Levels
Comparison of Tactics
Flanking Drive in the North
Central Front and York Salient
Southern Front and Soviet Jungle Fortress
www.millerk.net/Campaign4.pdf

(in reply to Lord Karg)
Post #: 12
RE: Solo Wargaming using Advanced Tactics - 5/27/2013 10:24:52 AM   
Josh

You have got some huge units there, some over 400 points... you are aware that anything over 100 stackpoints per hex gets you a penalty right? Both in attacking and defending. Note the 100 number is displayed in the right hand corner.. "stkpoints" it's called I believe.
I see jungle rivers and mountains in your last screenshot... that's going to be an unbelievable hard slog. Usually going straight through that kind of terrain isn't worth the trouble, If I were you I'd put up a line of defense somewhere, back it up with some tube units and swing around somewhere completely else to cut them off... *if* you have the choice that is.

(in reply to Lord Karg)
Post #: 13
RE: Solo Wargaming using Advanced Tactics - 5/28/2013 1:35:40 AM   
Lord Karg

Alas! The Soviet juggernaut was too much for the London Protectorate, and Parliament contacts the Soviets for terms. So ends the Great Zuttneberg War.

www.millerk.net/Campaign5.pdf

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 14
RE: Solo Wargaming using Advanced Tactics - 5/28/2013 7:57:56 AM   
Josh

Nice move on that para unit, that would have seriously made things harder for your ... uhm opponent.

(in reply to Lord Karg)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> Solo Wargaming using Advanced Tactics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI