Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Price :(

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The Price :( Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Price :( - 5/23/2013 4:15:04 PM   
whiran

Well, Shadows is released and I am disappointed.

I don't own the original game. And, of course, as such I don't own any of the expansions.

To buy Shadows I would need to spend: Total: 78.01 CAD.

$78.01 for a game I don't know.

I just cannot justify that price no matter how I spin it or try to convince myself that it is worth it.

Good luck with your game Matrix, I hope that those who own it continue to support it and that you manage to get some new people to cross the price divide and buy into it at just under $80. At that price, I'm out.

Post #: 1
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 4:19:41 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Whiran,

You can buy into Distant Worlds plus Return of the Shakturi through the bundle discount today at a total of $34.99. If you don't want to jump in all the way, we made it easy to wade in more slowly. If it then turns out you love the game, the sale will be continuing until July 5th.

40-50% discount is pretty good by most definitions I think, but I understand the total price for the entire series at once may still be daunting. It is not necessary to get the entire series though, you can start with part of it.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to whiran)
Post #: 2
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 4:22:37 PM   
jesuswhywhy

n/a soz

(in reply to whiran)
Post #: 3
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 4:28:41 PM   
IainMcNeil

Or just get the original game for $19.99! :)

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to jesuswhywhy)
Post #: 4
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 4:38:58 PM   
robc04_1

I usually don't agree with Matrix's prices, but I think they did a decent job on this one. Considering the length of the sale, customers can get the base game to try out for $20 which is reasonable, and get the rest later if they think it may be worth it. $20 is reasonable for a new expansion. The only risk for Matrix is that the base game may not give the best picture as to what the whole package provides.

What would be even better is if their system can keep track of if a user bought the base game during this sale and if they come back to buy the rest they could still get the entire series for the $70 price instead of $80. Maybe attach a coupon to their account that they could use or something? Just a thought so customers don't get penalized if they dip their toe in with the base game and later come back for the rest during the sale.

Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 5
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 5:04:26 PM   
Smight

no it is not good deal, 20$ for old game or 80$ for new, I do not find any of those options interesting, especialy since you can buy games like Rome 2 for less,
good luck with the game but at 80$ pricetag I'm out

(in reply to robc04_1)
Post #: 6
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 5:07:54 PM   
Erik Rutins

Actually, it's just under $70 if you purchase the entire series now. This is not at all out of the ballpark even for mainstream games with multiple expansions, but we certainly respect each customer has to make a choice whether it's right for them.

I would like to address one point though. DW is not an "old" game. Even the original was updated for two years after its release three years ago and when combined with Return of the Shakturi, which was just updated this year, you have a new DW game, just without all the extra bells and whistles from Legends or Shadows.

DW + ROTS is a great way to jump into the series at a low price.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Smight)
Post #: 7
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 5:12:19 PM   
w1p

How can you compare this game to that of Rome 2 Total War?

That is £34.99 for the game, and each DLC, which will include very, very little, will be £5 a pop.

I think Matrix's pricing system is somewhere between cheap and average.

For a game that has given me as many hours as this has, I think it's extremely cheap.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 8
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 5:17:07 PM   
Gargoil

There is no doubt in my mined that Distant Worlds with its expansions is the best, most epic 4x Sci-fi empire game ever made. $20 per installment is good. I just don't understand why you would make that a temporary price? Even if for 5 weeks.

Post #: 9
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 5:34:43 PM   
IainMcNeil

We understand everyone has an opinion on this but we can't make everyone happy :) If the price point is too high for you, no hard feelings. However you're missing out on one of the best 4X sci-fi strategy games ever made :)

The bundle is the culmination of many years of development and refinement and you'll get countless hours of enjoyment out of it. These games just do not date, so the point about it being old doesn't really matter. At the end of the day everyone has to make a judgement call on whether its worth it to them, and this is a very personal decision. Looking at the hundreds of orders that have poured in already there are many of you out there who do think its worth it.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 10
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 5:58:03 PM   
Fetrik

Personally i had hoped there would have been a bundle for 50-60$, but 70 is ok. What i would like to see is the complete package listed as one item in the store. No hidden deals and so on.
Anyway, dl'ing Shadows now. :D

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 11
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 5:59:55 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

We understand everyone has an opinion on this but we can't make everyone happy :) If the price point is too high for you, no hard feelings. However you're missing out on one of the best 4X sci-fi strategy games ever made :)

The bundle is the culmination of many years of development and refinement and you'll get countless hours of enjoyment out of it. These games just do not date, so the point about it being old doesn't really matter. At the end of the day everyone has to make a judgement call on whether its worth it to them, and this is a very personal decision. Looking at the hundreds of orders that have poured in already there are many of you out there who do think its worth it.

Off Topic: Hi Iain - I have a question posted for you in the somnolent Chariots of War Forums. If you could help me out, it would be appreciated! Thanks. /Off Topic

A note to newcomers worried about the price. Replayability is BIG with this game. You will absolutely get your money's worth, when you calculate "dollars per minute of game time".

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 12
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 6:00:41 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fetrik Snubbe
What i would like to see is the complete package listed as one item in the store.

We're working on that too, but the store functionality was not ready in time. To be clear, not a full bundle as in all in one installer, but a one-click obvious way to see that a store discount bundle exists. For now we updated all the product pages to explain the promotion.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Fetrik)
Post #: 13
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 6:21:52 PM   
Mansen

Kudos on the promo price - It was enough to convince me (and a few friends too! ) into buying the complete series.

Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)

Post #: 14
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 7:29:22 PM   
catwhoorg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mansen

Kudos on the promo price - It was enough to convince me (and a few friends too! ) into buying the complete series.

Same here. I need to stop hanging round the forum, its getting expensive.

(in reply to Mansen)
Post #: 15
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 8:37:33 PM   
jpwrunyan

I'm disappointed. I was hoping Distant Worlds and the expansions would be free.

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 16
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 8:49:37 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 17
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 9:00:45 PM   
Castinar

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

quote:

It can be...if you like watching streamed versions ;-)

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 18
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 10:37:55 PM   
Dragoon.

If I buy now the "bundle" as boxed edition will I get 4 boxes or one that contains everything?

Also as newbie to this series, if I install all 3 expansion will I miss something or get overwhelmed in comparison to playing them one by one?
I already found an answer to my question in this thread "How should I approach the Distant Worlds Series?"

< Message edited by Dragoon -- 5/23/2013 10:39:48 PM >

(in reply to Castinar)
Post #: 19
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 10:45:18 PM   
WoodMan

I'm guessing you will get 4 boxes. The bundle deal simply gets you all the products for a bundle price, you still have to install each one seperately

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Dragoon.)
Post #: 20
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 10:50:44 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, the boxed bundle gives you four boxes.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 21
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 11:01:50 PM   
Dragoon.

Thanks!

Post #: 22
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 11:12:16 PM   
IainMcNeil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Off Topic: Hi Iain - I have a question posted for you in the somnolent Chariots of War Forums. If you could help me out, it would be appreciated! Thanks. /Off Topic

A note to newcomers worried about the price. Replayability is BIG with this game. You will absolutely get your money's worth, when you calculate "dollars per minute of game time".

Can you PM me a link? I don't see anything in the CoW forum.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 23
RE: The Price :( - 5/23/2013 11:51:00 PM   
Terl

The price to me is like any time one has to catch up on games that have come out with multiple expansions. I think it is awesome they are giving a discount for new players though. The game is definitely worth it and is infinitely playable. I snap up each expansion as it comes out. Waiting for Shadows to finish downloading :)

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 24
RE: The Price :( - 5/24/2013 5:35:55 AM   
TanC

I've bought the games at full price and I still think they're worth it. Thanks for the discount on Shadows though!

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 25
RE: The Price :( - 5/24/2013 6:34:28 AM   
jackarbiter

I'm not so bothered by the price - 69.95 is only 10 bucks more than 59.99.

All I'll say is that if this were one bundle on steam for 59.99 - people's mental boundary of what they'll pay - you guys would be on your own island somewhere, surrounded by the chicas. But it ain't all about money. Or beautiful women. Or owning your own island. And it's none of my biz! I'm just glad you made this game.

(in reply to whiran)
Post #: 26
RE: The Price :( - 5/24/2013 7:00:42 AM   
heyhellowhatsnew

70 dollars is a great deal for the main game and 3 major expansion packs. Lets be serious here.

Yes we grog's bitch about pricing a lot, but this is like a REALLY good deal for one of the best 4x games ever made, and the BEST one that is out on the market right now.
o
Give these small developers some credit. Support them. They did a great job. 70 dollars. Main game, 3 expansion packs. Come on, man. That's a Console Game and a lunch.

Or a game series that will give you infinite hours of replayability.

(in reply to jackarbiter)
Post #: 27
RE: The Price :( - 5/24/2013 8:21:57 AM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

Same here

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 28
RE: The Price :( - 5/24/2013 9:06:41 AM   
towerbooks3192

I was on the same boat when I dont know who the heck matrix was and what the heck was distant worlds. Then I bought DW+Shakturi+legends in one go and around $100+ AUD and I have to say that even though I feel some of the games at the store are overpriced, distant worlds is worth it!! That is just talking about the game and not including the support when you have problems and a developer that still cares about having fun.

Well in the end it would depend on what is the player's cup of tea and I must say that if you fancy a complex space 4x with very very very very high replayability, look no further and get DW and all the expansions. At least they don't nickle and dime you with purchases and DLCs and their expansions are proper EXPANSIONS and not just mini DLCs. I respect DW and put it beside my other respected paradox grand strategy. Its a must have for strategy and space 4x fans

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 29
RE: The Price :( - 5/24/2013 9:19:22 AM   
Webbco

This series is worth every penny. Need to get over the usual consumerist mindset of wanting more for less as heyhello suggested and then you'll see. For what you get and for the amount of work that has gone into these games...I'd say go for it (if you can!).

(in reply to towerbooks3192)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The Price :( Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI