Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

why is steel panthers turn based?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> why is steel panthers turn based? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
why is steel panthers turn based? - 1/6/2003 4:07:11 AM   
afonzie

Why shouldn't steel panthers be semi real time whit order phase and action whan all other Grigsby games are. That would make it a very good game now it's to tiresom to handle the smallarms fire
Post #: 1
- 1/6/2003 5:09:29 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I am assuming you are new to the game, welcome.

I guess the simple answer would be, it's turn based, because it was appropriate for the design when it was made.

Turns work just as well as anything else.

Games can be turn based RTS based or the much mentioned revised notion of RTT or continuous time or multiple scales of view options including the view that ends up being the shooter sort of mode.
Games can have you as an individual or as a commander of a specific vehicle.

Saying why was Steel Panthers made turn based though, does sound a trifle odd. I suppose you could ask Gary. And I am assuing he would be equally perplexed.

Me I like to use slow artillery fire just cause i like to watch it eh, speed is not even a factor with some players.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to afonzie)
Post #: 2
- 1/6/2003 5:32:42 AM   
CCB

When Steel Panthers was first released (1995), RTS games were still in development. SPWAW is an outgrowth of the original SP using the Steel Panthers III game format.

Peux Ce Que Veux
in den vereinigten staaten hergestellt

(in reply to afonzie)
Post #: 3
- 1/6/2003 6:44:38 AM   
abradley

There is another type of turned based system called 'We go'.

Steel Panthers is 'I go, U go', where one person makes his moves and the computer resolves the results, then the other person does the same and the computer follows thru again.

TacOps and the HPS series (Tigers on the Prowl II) use the 'We go'. Both players input their moves, end the turn, and the computer resolves the conflict.

I prefer the 'We go', but the 'I go, U go' is ok!

I think the 'I go, U go' is easier to program...but that's just an assumption on my part.

"This situation we face – Suicidal maniacs from a failed civilization want to murder us all, and most people don’t believe it is really happening – sounds like something out of a science fiction novel by Philip K. Dick. But it is real. " ChicagoBoyz

(in reply to afonzie)
Post #: 4
- 1/6/2003 7:43:26 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I don't think I would mind wego myself.

It's for me still turn based.

And wego allows me to make my choices, but not see each and every result of each and every choice in a way that gives me unrealistic battlefield intel.

I can't figure out why wego has not replaced I go yugo on the computer.

I have always been of the opinion, that a computer was meant to be a tool that eliminated board game limitations.

(in reply to afonzie)
Post #: 5
- 1/6/2003 10:23:14 AM   
Fred98

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]

And wego allows me to make my choices, but not see each and every result of each and every choice in a way that gives me unrealistic battlefield intel.

I can't figure out why wego has not replaced I go yugo on the computer.

I have always been of the opinion, that a computer was meant to be a tool that eliminated board game limitations. [/B][/QUOTE]

Les,

WEGO and UGO-IGO, should both be played with FOG on. So battlefield intl is no different for either style.

WEGO is already common in computer wargames. Uncommon Valour for example. You must get this game. Its a true strategy game. And it has hexes. But they are almost irrelevant to the game.

How would you lijke to play Steel Panthers in continous time? Online against a human opponent?

(in reply to afonzie)
Post #: 6
- 1/6/2003 10:33:37 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

RTS or RTT or Continuous don't really do it for me in a substantial enough way.

As for UV would likely be sizing it up, but threw inmy lot with Century of Warfare to revive my ability to play it on XP OS. Ate all my cash in the process.

Will be devoting the 2003 budget for Combat Leader.

Whether CL will rock or be the largest let down, I have no cash for anything else this year.

To me though Wego merely prevents me from moving a unit, finding out defenses, then moving others to take advantage.

I would love to play Steel Panthers where I determine all my actions, the hit execute, and see if I read the landscape well enough.

(in reply to afonzie)
Post #: 7
- 1/6/2003 11:31:21 AM   
afonzie

no Im not a new player I had steel panthers when it was new and it was great. But the order/action system is very old look at second front another of my old games. But I think its not so good when every unit does fire at the one I move and. Many of the steel scenarios is just mopping up the last turns and its not so fun in a turnbased variant. I hate real time games but order action phase is my type. Combat mission is good but I dont like the look and 3D. steel is so clean and would make it fine. I think gary has enough with Pacific

(in reply to afonzie)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> why is steel panthers turn based? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI