Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI - 5/24/2013 7:43:37 PM   
jackarbiter

How is the game's AI holding up in Shadows? As compared to dev statements about better AI re: fleet handling and complaints about various AI problems in the past.

I am trying to get pumped up to slap 69 bucks on a credit card between now and the 5th.
Post #: 1
RE: AI - 5/24/2013 8:37:40 PM   
Bingeling

It is quite good. It is really good? Sure not, I can do better. Is it too bad to give some fun? Nope, it is fun.

One positive thing about shadows is that there are more options to give yourself penalties. For me having fun in a game requires a balance between "too easy" and "impossible". I have never played a DW game that has not had a good stretch of fun, and when it starts bordering "too easy" and getting boring, it is noticeable. I doubt anyone can say how good shadows really is in this respect, it is brand new.

(in reply to jackarbiter)
Post #: 2
RE: AI - 5/24/2013 8:46:15 PM   
jackarbiter

I guess I don't so much mean AI overall but rather AI as far as managing... refuelling and not getting stuck, fleet battles (I guess) etc., things that have been brought up a bunch before on this forum as the main complaints and that were said to have been addressed (and that should be obvious soonish into a game).

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: AI - 5/24/2013 8:49:04 PM   
Shark7

The AI is vastly superior to previous version, even the assistant AI. You might still have some minor issues with it, no AI is perfect after all, but I think you will be pleased with how it is working currently.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 4
RE: AI - 5/24/2013 9:01:50 PM   
Jim D Burns

I've always found the AI adequate in DW if you allow automation to handle most things (keeps you even with the AI limitations such as they might be). I generally only micro-manage one or two attack/assault fleets and let the AI handle just about everything else. I do use the alert message pop-up settings so the AI can't do critical things without my OK first, but I probably only turn down 1 in 10 suggested actions, and the ones I turn down usually have to do with signing or nullifying treaties. So it isn't necessarily bad play by the AI, it usually just doesn't jive with what I'm doing or trying to accomplish.

Where I've always found trouble with DW in the past is when my games become so obviously over-powered that I lose interest in continuing. So I'm real hopeful that the new difficulty scaling will help the end game stay interesting longer. But it'll be months before enough people have played that far into a game to get a consensus on that new feature.

My advice is get the game while it's on sale, don't wait. If you already know you like 4x style games, you will love DW. All the new changes and tweaks in Shadows are cool, but the underlying goodness of the game is the same as its always been. Shadows simply adds more goodness to an already awesome game.

Jim

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI