Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/23/2013 4:42:36 PM   
Philkian

Matrix Games and Slitherine (www.slitherine.com) are proud to announce the release of the highly anticipated third expansion to the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game series Distant Worlds: Shadows. To celebrate this release we have a great promotion running for the next six weeks, until July 5th, for both newcomers and existing fans.

For newcomers we have an amazing bundle offer. Get the entire Distant Worlds series and all its expansions for just $69.96! To get the bundle just add Distant Worlds to your cart and the bundle will be offered to you. That’s a saving of nearly 40% off the base price!

If that’s just too much content for you, we’re also dropping the base game to just $19.99 and all expansion will be sold separately for just $19.99! if you purchase Return of the Shakturi or Legends as part of the bundle, they are available for only $14.99! That’s a savings of up to 50% off the base price!

As an added bonus to existing Distant Worlds fans, through the duration of the sale Distant Worlds – Shadows will be priced at $19,99, $5 off the regular price, or the same discount given to newcomers to the series who take advantage of our bundle discount.

Distant Worlds: Shadows adds new gameplay to the Distant Worlds universe and is set in a new era in the Distant Worlds timeline, called the Age of Shadows.
In this time, when the planetary civilizations have not yet rediscovered hyperspace travel, factions of space-based pirates with remnants of ancient technologies battle each other to succeed in survival and expansion. They struggle to hold back the rebirth of the space empires from the ashes of the first war against the Shakturi while establishing themselves as the new power in the galaxy. It is up to the player to choose a side.

New gameplay includes the ability to play as a pirate faction or a pre-hyperspace planetary empire, expanded ground combat, with a full new ground combat tech tree, a ground combat resolution screen and multiple different troop types as well as ship and base boarding and capture. The expanded tech tree also includes Gravitic Weapons and Tractor Beams as well as additional planetary facilities that allow you more customization on character recruitment.

Distant Worlds: Shadows also includes an updated and improved graphical engine, a much enhanced AI and comprehensive difficulty settings that will be challenging even for the veterans of the series and as usual many new modding possibilities.

Get more information on Distant Worlds: Shadows from its official product page.

Please note: Distant Worlds – Shadows REQUIRES ownership of Distant Worlds, Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi and Distant Worlds: Legends.
Post #: 1
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/23/2013 6:01:16 PM   
robske

It seems it is up and running! Kudos!

Attachment (1)

Scifi 4X game geek...

The universe has its mysteries which can only be solved through the curiousity of intelligent life...

My lesson about life:
Keep the past in mind, act in the present, look to the future.

(in reply to Philkian)
Post #: 2
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/23/2013 8:14:45 PM   
Beanui

From what i have played so far im impressed, really great expansion that makes distant world a even better and more fun game than it already was.

(in reply to robske)
Post #: 3
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/23/2013 11:48:31 PM   
sventhebold

Thank you all for this great game!

ssgt usaf 84-91 f-15a/c ops puke 525 tfs & 7th tfs

(in reply to Beanui)
Post #: 4
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/24/2013 12:13:09 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beanui

From what i have played so far im impressed, really great expansion that makes distant world a even better and more fun game than it already was.

Bloody well needs to be for that price. A third more expensive than 'Lost Battles' even AFTER the 'discount'? Thanks for the 'added bonus', guys. Jeez...

(in reply to Beanui)
Post #: 5
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/24/2013 12:31:23 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Hertston,

Lost Battle is primarily a scenario-based expansion. While Lost Battles also had supporting development work, Shadows is a full fledged overhaul of the game engine, brand new gameplay and playstyles, new features, more than a year in development "expansion". I think it's remarkable that it's not more expensive, actually. It took almost twice as much work as Return of the Shakturi or Legends. Frankly getting pretty tired of the price complaints when you can get this much game for $19.99.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 6
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/24/2013 12:47:27 AM   
robc04_1

Erik, I think most people from what I have seen think the expansion is reasonably priced, along with the promo pricing on the series. I think the prices are reasonable too.

Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/24/2013 12:55:55 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Frankly getting pretty tired of the price complaints when you can get this much game for $19.99.

Frankly having now sunk the full prices into both games and all their expansions, I don't really care. The promo pricing is a welcome, if long overdue, move, though.

Actually, being a Brit it cost me $25 after tax.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 5/24/2013 12:56:42 AM >

Post #: 8
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/24/2013 1:07:27 AM   
rankalee

I think there should always be a bundle price, not just for six weeks. But very decently priced..

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 9
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/24/2013 1:09:24 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Hertston,

I've heard all sides of the pricing debate, I'm just tired of it. I understand that any price above $0 will likely be wrong for someone. I appreciate your support and understand that you feel we should have priced it lower. After the amount of work we've put into Shadows your comment just rubbed me the wrong way. Apologies if I caused offense.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 10
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/24/2013 1:10:00 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: rankalee
I think there should always be a bundle price, not just for six weeks. But very decently priced..

There has been actually. We've always had a 20% off bundle if you purchase the series at once, the promotion bundle is just much better.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to rankalee)
Post #: 11
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/24/2013 1:23:04 AM   
danith222

*Opens Transmission*

Erik,

I will be frank...NO WAIT...Bob...nono...Lets go with The Great Emperor Darkfire the 3rd...cuz I had to vaporize three of my siblings to get the position, but I digress...I happen to work for a retail video game store called Ga chhhzzzzzzzeetts *Transmission jammed by corporate entities* zzzzzztch op. Hmmm that was odd...anyways...I can say that being on the sales end of this industry and knowing what time, effort and oh lets just say it MONEY goes into creating a game, any game, it is a crime that anyone complains about the price for Distant Worlds. At Ga Chzzzzzzzt *Transmission Jammed by corporate entities* zzzzzzzcht op...*Kicks console* Son of a...anyways I often inform people that come in looking for Stardive that they would be doing themselves a disservice if they did not also try Distant Worlds.

If these people who complain were in my Empire they would be drawn...quartered and submitted to subsection vaporization. To many people see the end price without the knowledge of what it took to make and create it...and the saddest part is that usually, if those same people made something as Uber sauce *Licks lips* as Distant Worlds they would likely be the first ones to suggest selling it for more...*Attendant whispers in ear.* Yes...mhhhm...What do you mean I should not say Uber Sauce? Well I happen to like uber sauce so that is why I said Uber sauce...because it's...Would you go and...polish something...*Waves off attendant and leans close to the monitor narrowing eyes* Now Erik let me make this clear...you will continue to create The Uber *Looks over at attendant* AWESOME SAUCE that is Distant Worlds and those who are worthy of it shall buy it and eat their fill. You are not permitted to let any stand in the way of your ideals or pricing plan *Clenches fist*...Now go! CREATE! *Closes Transmission*

and the light sinnith in the darkness and the darkness could not comprehend it.

(in reply to robc04_1)
Post #: 12
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/24/2013 1:24:35 AM   
elmo3

quote:

....Apologies if I caused offense.

No need to apologize Erik. Seems like every single new release now has multiple threads with people whining about the price. I'd be sick of it too if I were in your shoes.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

Post #: 13
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/24/2013 2:58:27 AM   
demiller

Very impressed so far! I'm not that deep into it, but I definitely can tell the difference in the graphic engine. I know what I'll be spending the holiday weekend playing.

Great job guys, and thanks for the price break as well! I sent a friend a $50 gift card yesterday so he could buy RotS and Legends, and now he's able to pay for most of Shadows with it, too.

AKA panzerde

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 14
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/24/2013 7:08:18 AM   
Velihopea

quote:

ORIGINAL: demiller
Very impressed so far! I'm not that deep into it, but I definitely can tell the difference in the graphic engine.

Would you like to be more specific? I'm not that much into pirates, so user experiences on this matter would be very interesting to hear.

Got a free weekend(of family) coming and I'm undecided if I should buy Shadows or play openXcom.

(in reply to demiller)
Post #: 15
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/24/2013 9:14:23 AM   
Hertston

quote:

After the amount of work we've put into Shadows your comment just rubbed me the wrong way. Apologies if I caused offense.

Likewise for the response. A little over-sensitive after a long day, I'm afraid.

Post #: 16
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/24/2013 12:55:40 PM   
tylertoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

quote:

....Apologies if I caused offense.

No need to apologize Erik. Seems like every single new release now has multiple threads with people whining about the price. I'd be sick of it too if I were in your shoes.

Agreed, Erik's reaction is understandable; I'm sure the pricing thing is tiring, particularly on a stressful launch day. I was hoping the expansion would be discounted to $25 from $30, so its a pleasant surprise to find it at $20. With all the new content, that's a bargain.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 17
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/24/2013 2:28:45 PM   
Igard

Worth every penny IMHO.

Played a few hours as a pirate. So far loving it! I thought I played this game to be emperor of the universe, who knew it would be so much fun just doing raids and searching for good smuggling missions!

Absolutely superb!

Thank you Matrix, Erik and not least of all Elliot!

(in reply to tylertoo)
Post #: 18
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/24/2013 2:42:38 PM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: Velihopea

quote:

ORIGINAL: demiller
Very impressed so far! I'm not that deep into it, but I definitely can tell the difference in the graphic engine.

Would you like to be more specific? I'm not that much into pirates, so user experiences on this matter would be very interesting to hear.

Got a free weekend(of family) coming and I'm undecided if I should buy Shadows or play openXcom.

I am not into pirates either, but I love fighting them

There are more than pirates in this expansion. Ground combat is not bad, garrisoning troops is a blessing, performance is better, and the better resource overview (messages of shortages and friends) helps in keeping tabs on things.

(in reply to Velihopea)
Post #: 19
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/24/2013 2:43:38 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

Worth every penny IMHO.

Thank you Matrix, Erik and not least of all Elliot!

I concur.

I'm loving the pre-warp start. Somehow makes it feel like your empire is really your own creation. I also love the fact that bottom left window is now expandable - it's actually useful to me now!

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 20
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/24/2013 7:55:40 PM   
JiminyJickers

I used to complain about the price too, until I bought it and realised how great it was. Instantly bought the expansion and am thoroughly looking forward to getting deep into this game.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 21
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/25/2013 12:19:10 AM   
CptDrake

I weigh up a games value as £1/$1 for each hour of entertainment as being a more than reasonable expectation. So when I can easily use up three days playing the latest in-depth, well-planned, well-programmed, well-delivered Distant Worlds release, I consider myself to have received significant value and entertainment. The biggest advantage is it doesn't end after 3 days... it goes on throughout the year.

Oh! and by the way... if you're in the UK, try buying in dollars... I think it works out cheaper... though I've not added the exchange rate charges yet... but I reckon it's still going to be cheaper. (download).

Thanks Erik and the crew for a splendid piece of work. Congratulations on doing what you do best :-)

(in reply to JiminyJickers)
Post #: 22
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/25/2013 1:16:32 AM   
demiller

Graphic performance across the board is much smoother. I notice it particularly when scrolling around the galaxy map. What used to be jerky is now very smooth, almost effortless scrolling. Zooming in and out is the same.

Animations are also much smoother. I'm not noticing combat lagging at all, even in larger fleet engagements.

It probably sounds very minor, but it really is noticeable and makes for a much more immersive experience.

AKA panzerde

(in reply to Velihopea)
Post #: 23
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/25/2013 1:47:23 PM   
OzoneGrif_slith

Where can we report bugs ? Because it's impossible to deploy a resupply ship correctly. as soon as a valid target enters the system, it undeploys and attack. I tried to switch everything to manual, but it keeps undeploying. I tried to change its stance, but it switch back to Attack system targets all the time.

Plus it tries to run after a target which is faster than himself. Duh!

Resupply ships should never quit their position :\

Also, the galatopedia doesn't work anymore. There's a DLL problem.

< Message edited by OzoneGrif -- 5/25/2013 1:48:30 PM >

(in reply to demiller)
Post #: 24
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/25/2013 2:28:39 PM   
Erik Rutins

The galactopedia works fine here - but please report any bugs along with error message (would love to know what DLL it's saying is a problem) in the Tech Suppoort sub-forum here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=792

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to OzoneGrif_slith)
Post #: 25
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/25/2013 7:58:57 PM   
Antiscamp

So far I'm really pleased with the Shadows expansion. It works great after the hotfix. There are no slowdowns although I've been playing it almost non-stop all day; I had some problems with Legends in that department. Scrolling and zooming is really fluid! The game looks better in so many departments too.

The PreWarp Era start is what grabs me the most. It's just fascinating to build an empire from pretty much nothing. I have to admit that I almost (yes, almost) cried when my first little explorer entered another solar system for the first time. Warping around for the first time, setting down your first colony, all those things. Absolutely immersive!

What's best is that my old tricks do not work anymore. In Legends, I had a few things to do to easily make my economy flourish, build mega-fleets and then just go take what I wanted. Within a couple of hours, I could build a huge empire that spanned the galaxy. That is no more. I'm having constant resource shortages, my economy is wracked by complete meltdown and on top of that - pirates interfere with my plans all the time. I have eight colonies after a day's playing and one Main fleet with six good ships and several smaller defense squadrons that constantly fail at keeping pirate raids away. I love it!

Congratulations on an expansion well-done. It was worth the wait, it was worth the fighting with my own computer I had to do before the hotfix, and it was worth the price. Now I need to go back. The Atuuks are way ahead of me and they're winning; something I have never seen before, by the way.

Post #: 26
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/26/2013 6:21:22 AM   
Mac Linehan

Gents -

I forgot to update DW Legends to 17020a before installing Shadows. Do I need to reinstall and patch DW and each separate expansion again?

Looks great, can't wait to play.

Thank You all in advance,

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Philkian)
Post #: 27
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/26/2013 8:29:39 AM   
Fetrik

No, just update to latest Shadow patch Mac.

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 28
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/26/2013 4:52:17 PM   
Strat_84

quote:

ORIGINAL: Antiscamp

The PreWarp Era start is what grabs me the most. It's just fascinating to build an empire from pretty much nothing. I have to admit that I almost (yes, almost) cried when my first little explorer entered another solar system for the first time. Warping around for the first time, setting down your first colony, all those things. Absolutely immersive!

Indeed.

One thing frustrated me heavily thought.

I wanted to travel to the nearest system without having discovered warp engines. Warp engine, WTF is that crap ? Real men use thrusters, they don't read SF books !
So I built the most epic prehistoric exploration ship ever. Propelled by ion thrusters, 20 fuels tanks, with a tremendous 430% system diameter range.
The ship leaves with planetary celebrations, laboriously takes away from the sun. It halts to a gas mining station in the outer ring of the system to refill before finally starting its trip in the infinite vaccum.

Things went well. The ship traveled for 8 years, covering almost 2/3 of the distance to its objective.

And something hit the fan ...

Meanwhile I had discovered a damaged ship. I of course repaired it. To finally find that its navigation computer contained the map of the system my exploration ship was aiming for.
No, take back your data, I don't want it ! F*cking electronic sh*t, where is my hammer, I'm going to punch your transistors !

(in reply to Antiscamp)
Post #: 29
RE: The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! - 5/26/2013 5:00:49 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Strat_84
Things went well. The ship traveled for 8 years, covering almost 2/3 of the distance to its objective.

And something hit the fan ...

Meanwhile I had discovered a damaged ship. I of course repaired it. To finally find that its navigation computer contained the map of the system my exploration ship was aiming for.
No, take back your data, I don't want it ! F*cking electronic sh*t, where is my hammer, I'm going to punch your transistors !

Great story.

I suppose we could in the future add a "no hyperspace option" with a small dense start with systems closer to each other, for folks who want more sub-light gameplay. I think that's probably a pretty small group though.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Strat_84)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The Age of Shadows on Distant Worlds starts now! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI