Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SCTFs shy away from engaging - No Andrew

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> SCTFs shy away from engaging - No Andrew Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SCTFs shy away from engaging - No Andrew - 5/25/2013 11:23:33 AM   
MichaelU

It's mid-Jan '42 and in a PBEM game I sent two single CA and DD TFs into Tulagi and Shortlands to hammer the transports unloading in the two locations.

What was weird was that in both cases the normal description popped up of "TF encounters Japanese ships, Japanese ships attempt to get underway" came up. But again for both there was no battle.
There have been several battles so far where have managed to get in among unloading TFs and wreaked havoc, so was expecting more of the same. But the turn for the next day showed my TFs heading back to port as expected, without having expended a shell.
Is there any reason they would not go into the fight?
Post #: 1
RE: SCTFs shy away from engaging - No Andrew - 5/25/2013 11:46:42 AM   
Encircled

Yeah, I've had this as well.

I've had good leaders, so is it something else I'm doing wrong?

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 2
RE: SCTFs shy away from engaging - No Andrew - 5/25/2013 12:39:28 PM   
JocMeister

Had this happen on many occasions. Certainly gets your blood pressure up when you see 12kt xAKs "attempting to get underway" and after that "Japanese TF manages to evade combat" when you are approaching with 32kt radar equipped CAs...

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 3
RE: SCTFs shy away from engaging - No Andrew - 5/25/2013 1:17:48 PM   
geofflambert

What react range were you using? If you keep your email, reload the turn before under a different save game number, then instead of giving them orders to patrol, set patrol location one to be your target with linger = 0 and patrol location two to a location safe from air attack with linger = 1. Make sure the react range is at least 1. See what happens.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 4
RE: SCTFs shy away from engaging - No Andrew - 5/25/2013 1:26:34 PM   
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

Are you set to Absolute threat level, React 0 and have an aggressive TF commander? Also sometimes the AK's just get away..

John 21:25

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 5
RE: SCTFs shy away from engaging - No Andrew - 5/25/2013 1:32:55 PM   
dr.hal

In January of '42 things are still primitive. There is no radar or very poor radar (if you're lucky). Also there are a few other factors that need to be considered. What was the weather like in the hex? What percent of the moon was out? If poor weather and/or low moon light, slipping away in the pre-radar era is relatively easy. This is also coupled with the aggressive factor of your TF commander and whether or not you put the TF on "absolute" or "normal" in terms of threat. So I'm not surprised this happens (have you ever been at sea at night on a vessel with no radar? It's scary!). This will lessen as your ship's crew gains experience (look at the night experience of the crews in early '42, with the exception of the Brits, it's horrid!), and the advances of technology, things will be much better later in the year. Hal

(in reply to leehunt27@bloomberg.net)
Post #: 6
RE: SCTFs shy away from engaging - No Andrew - 5/26/2013 1:54:33 AM   
MichaelU

They were both set to normal defaults in terms of threat tolerance, and one had react 1 and the other react 0. What surprised me I suppose was that it hadn't happened before, and this turn happened twice in a row.

Turns out some carriers were nearby, although my forces weren't aware of that until Catalinas picked them up in the morning. Perhaps the carriers had been picked up somehow and the TF commanders were reacting to that.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 7
RE: SCTFs shy away from engaging - No Andrew - 5/26/2013 3:02:21 AM   
crsutton

They got away. Simple as that. It is a random event and can happen anytime. Many factors go into the calculation but you just had a run of poor luck. It happens. You will get them next time.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 8
RE: SCTFs shy away from engaging - No Andrew - 5/26/2013 4:21:28 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

They got away. Simple as that. It is a random event and can happen anytime. Many factors go into the calculation but you just had a run of poor luck. It happens. You will get them next time.

+1

Pax

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 9
RE: SCTFs shy away from engaging - No Andrew - 5/26/2013 5:29:08 AM   
Don Bowen

Something often overlooked is fog of war. We judge the actions of a TF based on what WE know about its circumstances. The TF commander on the spot does not have such good information. And remember the TF commander skills. Low aggression and insufficient knowledge about what is nearby can result in fear and fleeing.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> SCTFs shy away from engaging - No Andrew Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI