Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mod recommendations?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Mod recommendations? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mod recommendations? - 5/27/2013 5:00:41 PM   
AstroCat

New to the game and playing around with some mods. For now I'm just going for cosmetic or sound mods because I'm still learning the game. I am experimenting with GEM v2.4 and a couple sound mods at the moment. Are there any must have mods out there I should check out?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Mod recommendations? - 5/27/2013 5:47:36 PM   
Bingeling

Must have? Nah. You can't go very wrong with Extended, though.

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 2
RE: Mod recommendations? - 5/27/2013 5:58:05 PM   
towerbooks3192

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

Must have? Nah. You can't go very wrong with Extended, though.

Please tell me its easy to install, compatible with shadows and does not interfere with story events?

If so then Link please

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: Mod recommendations? - 5/27/2013 6:23:25 PM   
AstroCat

I noticed there is Igard's planet compilation (includes Kalthaniell planets)and GEM's planets. Is one considered "better" than the other? I also noticed a few weapons, explosions, effects type mods, as well is one considered the go to mod(s)?

Thanks!

(in reply to towerbooks3192)
Post #: 4
RE: Mod recommendations? - 5/27/2013 7:10:27 PM   
Mad Igor

kinds wrong subforum ? this subform for mods,not for discussion what mod to use.
you only doin' harm by this.
as for "what to use" i'd suggest this

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 5
RE: Mod recommendations? - 5/27/2013 7:16:19 PM   
AstroCat

Alright, I'll post over in the main forum. Thanks.

(in reply to Mad Igor)
Post #: 6
RE: Mod recommendations? - 5/27/2013 8:10:05 PM   
Arcatus

quote:

ORIGINAL: AstroCat

New to the game and playing around with some mods. For now I'm just going for cosmetic or sound mods because I'm still learning the game. I am experimenting with GEM v2.4 and a couple sound mods at the moment. Are there any must have mods out there I should check out?

Thanks.

I frankenstein from many mods. Just browse the forums and pick and mix the stuff you like the most. The big ones are usually on the first or second page, so you don't have to look for long.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Igor

kinds wrong subforum ? this subform for mods,not for discussion what mod to use.
you only doin' harm by this.
as for "what to use" i'd suggest this

Uh, no this would be the correct sub-forum...

(in reply to Mad Igor)
Post #: 7
RE: Mod recommendations? - 5/27/2013 8:21:03 PM   
ASHBERY76

Sirians leader and resource graphics improve the visuals a lot.

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 8
RE: Mod recommendations? - 5/27/2013 9:29:34 PM   
Mad Igor

quote:

and your reason ?
mods thread for mods,discussion is for discussion.
there ARE a reason for them to be apart,ye know ?
if you discuss actually a mod in MOD thread,then ye,everything is ok,if you discuss what to use in new thread,then what this have to do with actually mod ?

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 9
RE: Mod recommendations? - 5/27/2013 9:31:33 PM   
Igard

quote:

I noticed there is Igard's planet compilation (includes Kalthaniell planets)and GEM's planets. Is one considered "better" than the other? I also noticed a few weapons, explosions, effects type mods, as well is one considered the go to mod(s)?

Thanks!

Mine is incomplete but Kalthaniell created his own planets to replace the ones I hadn't done yet. So both mods should really be combined to create a complete set of planet images. However I don't think we finished the gas giants.

Martian's GEM mod is an enhancement of the stock planet images and keeps the art consistent. Whereas my mod is a compilation of images I found. Some of which people didn't like. Apparently the yellow snow planet didn't quite work for some!

I personally like to think that every planet should look different and unique. Hence some strange looking ones. But I completely accept that some might prefer a more consistent style and the GEM mod is a major enhancement IMO.

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 10
RE: Mod recommendations? - 5/27/2013 9:34:58 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Igor

quote:

and your reason ?
mods thread for mods,discussion is for discussion.
there ARE a reason for them to be apart,ye know ?
if you discuss actually a mod in MOD thread,then ye,everything is ok,if you discuss what to use in new thread,then what have this to do with actually mod ?

I would say this is the correct sub-forum for mod discussion. I've said in the past that we need to either sticky the complete mods, create a sub-forum for complete mods, or start tagging our threads properly, eg [WIP], [REL] etc.

I don't want to go around the forums telling people how to write posts, but it would help greatly if we could actually tell which threads are discussion and which are mods.

(in reply to Mad Igor)
Post #: 11
RE: Mod recommendations? - 5/27/2013 9:41:51 PM   
Mad Igor

well,mod thread is actually that contain unique mod (not discussion about some other mod in far far thread),and discussion is when ppls discuss,and don't contain mod that OP provide. dunno how that can be failed to be seen.
if we start to discuss and post mod in SAME subforum,then we actually can merge discussion and mod subforum.
requesting a mod is always can be classified as mod thread (cuz it's not about discussion,but about requesting a mod)

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 12
RE: Mod recommendations? - 5/27/2013 9:55:33 PM   
AstroCat

Hmmm, well thanks for the advice so far. This is what I got going on:

1) GEM (all of it except the ships) I am leaving the default ships for a while since it's all new to me and they look pretty fun.
2) Tyrador's Light & Laser & Engine Effects (Not the ships, or ship names parts)
3) Conflictx New Shield Effect
4) Jon Micheelsen ExplosionsV20Light
5) Sirian's Resources and matching Help files.

6) For SFX, I'm using my own mix of TG Sound Effects Mod v1.00, and Ardilus Combat Audio Pack V2.zip plus my own tweaks. (I'm audio/music/sfx pro in rl )
7) Music, space ambient mix from tons of sources I just play in the background. (Select Mass Effect series tracks, Aes Dana, Solar Fields, FTL soundtrack, Eve Online soundtrack, my own tracks, etc...)

Thinking of using KALTHANIELL'S SHIPYARDS weapon effects to supplement Tyrador's but haven't gotten there yet. Need to see more combat in-game first.

Any others? Yeah, I like modding games.

< Message edited by AstroCat -- 5/27/2013 10:50:07 PM >

(in reply to Mad Igor)
Post #: 13
RE: Mod recommendations? - 5/27/2013 10:14:57 PM   
Mad Igor

you can ADD ship,yes NEW shipset.
just rename folder to number( familyxx ) that goes after original.

< Message edited by Mad Igor -- 5/27/2013 10:36:54 PM >

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 14
RE: Mod recommendations? - 5/27/2013 10:31:59 PM   
Igard

quote:

Hmmm, well thanks for the advice so far. This is what I got going on:

1) GEM (all of it except the ships) I am leaving the default ships for a while since it's all new to me and they look pretty fun.
2) Tyrador's Light & Laser & Engine Effects (Not the ships, or ship names parts)
3) Conflictx New Shield Effect
4) Jon Micheelsen ExplosionsV20Light

5) For SFX, I'm using my own mix of TG Sound Effects Mod v1.00, and Ardilus Combat Audio Pack V2.zip plus my own tweaks. (I'm audio/music/sfx pro in rl )
6) Music, space ambient mix from tons of sources I just play in the background.

Thinking of using KALTHANIELL'S SHIPYARDS weapon effects to supplement Tyrador's but haven't gotten there yet. Need to see more combat in-game first.

Any others? Yeah, I like modding games.

Sounds like you're on the right tracks there!

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 15
RE: Mod recommendations? - 5/27/2013 10:50:50 PM   
AstroCat

I also wanted to add Sirian's Resources to my list, they are not quite as "sci-fi" looking as the default ones but they sure are easier to read. Guess I'll make the function over form sacrifice in this case.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 16
RE: Mod recommendations? - 5/28/2013 3:35:40 AM   
feelotraveller

The one mod I can't go without-
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3045404
Basically additional names for systems so that if playing with many stars you don't end up with Major this and Minor that all over the place.  Simple yet superb. 

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 17
RE: Mod recommendations? - 5/29/2013 4:29:35 PM   
Kalthaniell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

Martian's GEM mod is an enhancement of the stock planet images and keeps the art consistent. Whereas my mod is a compilation of images I found. Some of which people didn't like. Apparently the yellow snow planet didn't quite work for some!

Hehehehe, it wasn't so bad - it's the yellow snow that was disturbing. You can't ever trust yellow snow

As for mod recommendation Extended and Star Trek mods are a good place to start imho.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Mod recommendations? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI