Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

On Ships and their Counterparts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager >> On Ships and their Counterparts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
On Ships and their Counterparts - 6/1/2013 10:37:07 AM   
EleSigma

One thing that still confuses me is how the Soviet and NASA ships will be represented in this game, especially in the first part.

The way I understand it right now the game will not have soviet or NASA counterpart ships to each other, like there will be a Sputnik but no Explorer, Gemini Capsule but no Voshkod, Venera but no Pioneer/Mariner, Apollo Capsule but no LK Capsule etc. It will be a bit hard on immersion when you're trying to role-play out a NASA or Soviet space program only to be forced to use the other's designs when there isn't one for the agency you're wanting to play out.

The big question is, will there be a possibility of the team adding more craft in patches/DLC to fill in these gaps over time? I think a lot of people would like the variety as well as possibly play out what-if scenarios where the Soviets fill the roll of the U.S. and land on the moon first, or develop and use the Buran to work with the Mir.

Thanks for reading and also it is great to see the forums starting to pick up in activity. :)
Post #: 1
RE: On Ships and their Counterparts - 6/1/2013 5:21:26 PM   
Nacho84

Hello EleSigma,

quote:

ORIGINAL: EleSigma
The way I understand it right now the game will not have soviet or NASA counterpart ships to each other, like there will be a Sputnik but no Explorer, Gemini Capsule but no Voshkod, Venera but no Pioneer/Mariner, Apollo Capsule but no LK Capsule etc. It will be a bit hard on immersion when you're trying to role-play out a NASA or Soviet space program only to be forced to use the other's designs when there isn't one for the agency you're wanting to play out.

The game will feature spacecraft from both NASA and the soviet space agency (and some other probes from ESA and JAXA in parts 2 and 3). Also notice that, while the manned part of the tech tree uses only NASA spacecraft, the robotic part of the tree features probes from both agencies. More especifically, both Sputnik and Explorer I are available. The same holds true for Venera, Pioneer and Mariner. See the screenshots in the posts below

quote:

The big question is, will there be a possibility of the team adding more craft in patches/DLC to fill in these gaps over time? I think a lot of people would like the variety as well as possibly play out what-if scenarios where the Soviets fill the roll of the U.S. and land on the moon first, or develop and use the Buran to work with the Mir.

At the moment I cannot promise anything, although we don't discard the possibility. All our efforts are geared towards completing the beta. You'd be amazed how much the game design has changed in the past few months, the game is becoming a lot more complex and interesting than I originally envisioned!

quote:

Thanks for reading and also it is great to see the forums starting to pick up in activity. :)

Yes, we're really glad as well. We got into page 2 a couple of days ago!

Cheers,

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Nacho84 -- 6/1/2013 5:30:07 PM >

Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PolarMotion

(in reply to EleSigma)
Post #: 2
RE: On Ships and their Counterparts - 6/1/2013 5:21:58 PM   
Nacho84

Explorer I

Attachment (1)

Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com

(in reply to Nacho84)
Post #: 3
RE: On Ships and their Counterparts - 6/1/2013 5:22:28 PM   
Nacho84

Mariner probe.

Attachment (1)

Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com

(in reply to Nacho84)
Post #: 4
RE: On Ships and their Counterparts - 6/1/2013 6:35:37 PM   
wolf14455

Eye candy. Very nice.

(in reply to Nacho84)
Post #: 5
RE: On Ships and their Counterparts - 6/1/2013 6:59:12 PM   
jjknap

What beautiful renderings, especially of Mariner. Also, I will say again, how refreshing it is to see the developers in the forums actually answering questions.

(in reply to wolf14455)
Post #: 6
RE: On Ships and their Counterparts - 6/1/2013 9:19:04 PM   
Blind Sniper

Very nice!

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

(in reply to jjknap)
Post #: 7
RE: On Ships and their Counterparts - 6/2/2013 3:01:06 AM   
EleSigma

Thanks for the answer and very nice screenshots! :D

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 8
RE: On Ships and their Counterparts - 7/6/2013 5:26:00 PM   
czert2

there are very nice renders, but i think that old videos used in BARIS cretated much more athmosphere as you KNOW that you are watching (and making) history. These quality renders will tel me, taht i just watch nicely done videos.
And i hope that my hope for posibility to play human vs ai (or human vs human via PMEM/hot seat) of true space race as was of BARIS will come true.

(in reply to EleSigma)
Post #: 9
RE: On Ships and their Counterparts - 7/6/2013 6:05:51 PM   
Nacho84

quote:

ORIGINAL: czert2
there are very nice renders, but i think that old videos used in BARIS cretated much more athmosphere as you KNOW that you are watching (and making) history. These quality renders will tel me, taht i just watch nicely done videos.

Yes, I see what you mean. The problem is, we want to provide lots programs in SPM and, if we restrict ourselves to use videos from existing missions, the number of available options will decrease considerably. On the bright side, and this is just my opinion of course, looking at synthetic images based on real pictures has a certain charm.

Cheers,

Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 10
RE: On Ships and their Counterparts - 7/7/2013 12:36:18 PM   
czert2

I see your point that having one video will limit options, but well in BARIS you have one universal video for rocked explosian at start/in flight, orbital separation/manuvers..etc - but no one complained.
Yes it prevented to see differnces between different hardware/missions, but i dont think that killed atmosphere or options.

(in reply to Nacho84)
Post #: 11
RE: On Ships and their Counterparts - 7/7/2013 12:57:13 PM   
Nacho84

quote:

I see your point that having one video will limit options, but well in BARIS you have one universal video for rocked explosian at start/in flight, orbital separation/manuvers..etc - but no one complained.
Yes it prevented to see differnces between different hardware/missions, but i dont think that killed atmosphere or options.

That's fine. I will keep your suggestion in mind in case we ever work on a sequel. It's too late now in the development process to switch to real footage and, on top of that, we won't be able to fit it on tablets (videos take up too much space!).

Cheers,

Ignacio Liverotti
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 12
RE: On Ships and their Counterparts - 7/7/2013 1:17:47 PM   
derblaueClaus

Still have to see them in motion but I'm fine with it. I think original radio-sound are much more important. :)

(in reply to Nacho84)
Post #: 13
RE: On Ships and their Counterparts - 7/7/2013 3:49:51 PM   
RLA

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nacho84

quote:

That's fine. I will keep your suggestion in mind in case we ever work on a sequel. It's too late now in the development process to switch to real footage and, on top of that, we won't be able to fit it on tablets (videos take up too much space!).

Cheers,

I see a good point there to not use real footages. It would not only cost more MB's, but also it would be less tablet-friendly (And BASPM goal is to be not only on PC, but also on the tabs) so I total understand the point there to switch to animations, and not to real footages.

But, would there become a special PC version in the future, or will BASPM be the same for every platform?

Anyway, good work, devs of BASPM. I can't wait on the release of the game

(in reply to Nacho84)
Post #: 14
RE: On Ships and their Counterparts - 7/15/2013 7:06:19 PM   
czert2

quote:

ORIGINAL: RLA

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nacho84

quote:

Cheers,

I see a good point there to not use real footages. It would not only cost more MB's, but also it would be less tablet-friendly (And BASPM goal is to be not only on PC, but also on the tabs) so I total understand the point there to switch to animations, and not to real footages.

But, would there become a special PC version in the future, or will BASPM be the same for every platform?

Anyway, good work, devs of BASPM. I can't wait on the release of the game

Well, BARIS with vidoes také only 90mb, which is not to much,´even mobile phones today have build in much more space. Same is to the memory, only 64mb were enough.
It realy depends on how much quality videos you plan to use.

(in reply to RLA)
Post #: 15
RE: On Ships and their Counterparts - 7/15/2013 7:40:49 PM   
silber

I would actually prefer not to have real footage. One of the jarring aspects of the original BARIS was the incongruity of real combined with artistic depictions needed to represent configurations which were never used. (For example, an Apollo on a Titan with boosters.)

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 16
RE: On Ships and their Counterparts - 7/15/2013 8:51:46 PM   
czert2

quote:

ORIGINAL: silber

I would actually prefer not to have real footage. One of the jarring aspects of the original BARIS was the incongruity of real combined with artistic depictions needed to represent configurations which were never used. (For example, an Apollo on a Titan with boosters.)

Well, mayby im one of users which sacrisfice autenticity for "feeling". And here is many gamers like nme which play old games because of thier replayability and atmosphere instead of new supernicely looking mindless games.

I wish many succes to this space sim and surely will try it. Even if devs decide to implement renders only for next 2 sequels, i still have dream of about 4th version which will také us to us vs soviets space race with videos (even for non-existed combinations) which will not end with landing on moon but will continue longer (and yes, i will love to build mir station).

(in reply to silber)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager >> On Ships and their Counterparts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI