Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New map for WITE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: New map for WITE Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New map for WITE - 5/25/2013 10:09:59 AM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 7:49:07 AM >

(in reply to Jison)
Post #: 61
RE: New map for WITE - 5/25/2013 12:34:05 PM   
janh

Just saw this in Kamil's AAR! Very nicely done! Just wow! Must be a hundred hours of work, Jison?

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 62
RE: New map for WITE - 5/25/2013 7:04:05 PM   
htuna

Excellent work!!.. One thing, and I don't know if it's related or not, but the objective flags don't seem to work for me anymore.. I like the map more than the flags, so will have to stick with the modded version!

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 63
RE: New map for WITE - 5/25/2013 7:29:42 PM   
htuna

quote:

ORIGINAL: cmurphy625

Excellent work!!.. One thing, and I don't know if it's related or not, but the objective flags don't seem to work for me anymore.. I like the map more than the flags, so will have to stick with the modded version!

Very strange, I had copied my old 'dat' directory back to confirm that the objectives worked, and they did.. But then I copied the new modded maps back and they 'still work'.. so all fixed!.. Wierd.. Ignore my posts

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 64
RE: New map for WITE - 5/26/2013 1:02:04 AM   
TAIL_GUNNER

Beautiful work - thank you.

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 65
RE: New map for WITE - 5/29/2013 1:35:18 PM   
Jison

Unit Counters for this map - link in my signature.

Jison

(in reply to TAIL_GUNNER)
Post #: 66
RE: New map for WITE - 5/29/2013 2:40:10 PM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 7:49:01 AM >

(in reply to Jison)
Post #: 67
RE: New map for WITE - 5/29/2013 3:31:06 PM   
Flaviusx

Thanks for pushing out those counters, I took the plunge and must say: outstanding work. The vanilla map is very good and I never thought I'd replace it, but your map possibly improves on it.

Your counters are clearly better, imo. My only minor quibble: the shade of red used for guards is perhaps a bit light. Yet maybe this is unavoidable, a fire engine red a la vanilla would clash badly with the map.

Question: what do the hash marks on the left side of the counters stand for? There are up to 4 of these for some units.

Anyways, hire this man, Matrix. This is first class professional artwork. That I'm getting this for free feels like highway robbery, it's head and shoulder above the usual mod.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 5/29/2013 3:38:45 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 68
RE: New map for WITE - 5/29/2013 6:24:12 PM   
Jison

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Question: what do the hash marks on the left side of the counters stand for? There are up to 4 of these for some units.

Thats the 'soft factor' - you know, the gauge for experience, supplies, fuel or morale etc depending on your setting. It goes from zero to four - four is best/highest.

The small circle on the right are the movement status - white circle indicates full movement, black circle indicates some movement and no circle indicates no movement.

Jison

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 69
RE: New map for WITE - 5/29/2013 7:41:30 PM   
Lictuel

Very nice work, now I can see soft factors and fortification levels at the same time.

(in reply to Jison)
Post #: 70
RE: New map for WITE - 5/29/2013 10:24:01 PM   
Jison

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jison

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Thats the 'soft factor' - you know, the gauge for experience, supplies, fuel or morale etc depending on your setting. It goes from zero to four - four is best/highest.

The small circle on the right are the movement status - white circle indicates full movement, black circle indicates some movement and no circle indicates no movement.

Jison

Whoops - do I feel stupid now! Here I go trying to explain what the 'soft factor' is to a WitE Alpha Tester! Didn't noticed your signature until now...

Jison

(in reply to Jison)
Post #: 71
RE: New map for WITE - 5/30/2013 8:52:02 PM   
jlward2009

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

quote:

Hello everyone

Can I tempt you with a new and completely scratch-made map for Wite?

Edit: It seems I'm not allowed to post links - so just use the one in my signature below if you are interested.

Jison

Bloody awesome mate! I also use your PzC mods and they're brilliant, too!

Klink, Oberst

Your map and counters are excellent! I have downloaded and installed both mods and they look great!

Thanks for all of the time and effort you put into this project!

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 72
RE: New map for WITE - 5/31/2013 5:02:14 AM   
Maximeba

Very very nice. I down loaded the maps. Now can you help a mooncalf, and explain how to install them. Also, can I play against someone who is not using your maps.

Wes
Allies Forever

(in reply to Jison)
Post #: 73
RE: New map for WITE - 5/31/2013 8:20:29 AM   
laska2k8

I downloaded and installed this wonderful mod, just a note, in the scenario "operation Uranus" there's a little bit of confusion between rumanian and soviet units.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Maximeba)
Post #: 74
RE: New map for WITE - 5/31/2013 8:58:33 AM   
Lowlaner2012

WOW awesome mod, really brings Russia to life for me, thanks :)

(in reply to laska2k8)
Post #: 75
RE: New map for WITE - 5/31/2013 4:25:57 PM   
Jison

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maximeba

Very very nice. I down loaded the maps. Now can you help a mooncalf, and explain how to install them. Also, can I play against someone who is not using your maps.

You just doubleclick on the downloaded file, select 'Extract To' ( or whatever it is called in your compression program ) and choose the WITE folder. Select 'Yes' when asked if you want to replace existing files, and you are done.

Your opponent does NOT need to have the mod installed on his end.

Jison

(in reply to Maximeba)
Post #: 76
RE: New map for WITE - 5/31/2013 4:29:20 PM   
Jison

quote:

ORIGINAL: laska2k4

I downloaded and installed this wonderful mod, just a note, in the scenario "operation Uranus" there's a little bit of confusion between rumanian and soviet units.

What can I say, I like my romanian counters in a yummy chocolate brown! Seriously though, it is intentional and applies to all scenarios, not just operation uranus. Image below is from the start of the main campaign.

I'm aware of the fact that they are fairly close to their russian counterparts, but the romanians are not only darker - the two also have differently colored numbers on them which ought to help keep them apart. Sorry if my choise of colors causes confusion for some, but it is made this way because I just dont want bright blue romanians as a part of this mod.

Anyway, I am glad you guys seem to enjoy the mod - it really makes it worth the effort. Thanks!

Jison

(in reply to laska2k8)
Post #: 77
RE: New map for WITE - 5/31/2013 5:00:27 PM   
morvael

Though I love the map and use it, I think I will stay with the original counters. I need more contrast between colors to ease the work my eyes have to do, especially regular Soviet and Guards. Maybe I will try to alter those images you provide by changing R/G/B channels to get more differences between colors.

(in reply to Jison)
Post #: 78
RE: New map for WITE - 5/31/2013 6:44:48 PM   
Flaviusx

I dunno all Axis numerical values are in black, Soviets are in white, I don't have a problem with this.

The original blue Romanians look suspiciously like Luftwaffe auxiliaries for my taste.

I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly darker shade of red for guards, though. Not full fire engine red (which is a bit too Christmas up against the green map.)

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 79
RE: New map for WITE - 5/31/2013 7:05:54 PM   
morvael

Why is "Counter10x10.tga" file not overwritten by the mod? Is it unused?

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 80
RE: New map for WITE - 5/31/2013 10:52:01 PM   
IronDuke_slith

Stunning mod, simply stunning. I've never modded the game before (never felt the need to) but downloaded and installed this without hesitation. the counters will take a little getting used to, but the extra biographical information regarding movement and soft factors together with the way the towns are drawn to visually display their population rating really enhances the game. The towns and cities you've drawn really give the map a different feel.

FlaviusX is right about the colours. Once you start looking for the color of the numbers when glancing around it becomes easier and although I too would prefer slightly stronger colours for Guards and Waffen SS, this is a first class job.

You've gotten the names of the towns on without cluttering the map, and really brought the differences between the north and more open south of the country to life. Your mountains, heavy woods, marshes are easier on the eye and your water is a gorgeous blue (never thought I'd say that in a wargaming forum). Like the train lines as well which look more rustic and authentic.

You're a very talented man. My thanks for your efforts.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 81
RE: New map for WITE - 5/31/2013 11:09:06 PM   
Maximeba

Jison,

Thanks for the help. I installed the map and it is beautiful. I always enjoyed the game now you just made a great game better. Thanks.

Wes
Allies Forever

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 82
RE: New map for WITE - 5/31/2013 11:34:44 PM   
IronDuke_slith

If you're continuing on with this project, one thing I would suggest is new weather tiles. the mud and heavy snow can be a little overpowering on the map, mud, blizzard and snow effects which fit the beautiful map you've created would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
ID

(in reply to Maximeba)
Post #: 83
RE: New map for WITE - 6/2/2013 3:17:09 AM   
M60A3TTS

I tried the counters mod, but a number of the function keys don't seem to work with it, like F11 and RR display.

Post #: 84
RE: New map for WITE - 6/2/2013 9:58:26 AM   
Jison

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

I tried the counters mod, but a number of the function keys don't seem to work with it, like F11 and RR display.

Well, all I can say really is that all functions works perfectly with the mod... and if not, then something have gone wrong during the installation.
You didnt move any folder or files before the installment? Sometimes when doing a backup it is easy to actually MOVE a file or folder by mistake instead of COPY it. That would lead to missing artwork as you describe.

Jison

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 85
RE: New map for WITE - 6/2/2013 1:45:14 PM   
IronDuke_slith

Deleted as just figured it out.

< Message edited by IronDuke -- 6/2/2013 1:46:41 PM >

(in reply to Jison)
Post #: 86
RE: New map for WITE - 6/2/2013 2:18:26 PM   
Jison

Weather effects was mentioned earlier. Here are some I'm playing around with...

First that notorious rasputitsa:

Then comes the snow...

And for blizzard I just added some additional snow flakes, but perhaps it needs even more...

Jison

Post #: 87
RE: New map for WITE - 6/2/2013 5:22:08 PM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

Well, all I can say really is that all functions works perfectly with the mod... and if not, then something have gone wrong during the installation.
You didnt move any folder or files before the installment? Sometimes when doing a backup it is easy to actually MOVE a file or folder by mistake instead of COPY it. That would lead to missing artwork as you describe.

Jison

Very true. Tried again and works now. As to the weather graphics, I like the snow/blizzard. Mud, eh... seems a little too subtle.

(in reply to Jison)
Post #: 88
RE: New map for WITE - 6/2/2013 5:27:31 PM   
morvael

Guys, maybe I'm a little blind (though I wear no glasses), but how do you find those white non-bold numbers on Soviet units? They tire my eyes very quickly compared to original bold, black and a pixel or two higher original numbers...

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 89
RE: New map for WITE - 6/2/2013 6:10:11 PM   
IronDuke_slith

I like the new weather effects. I don't think you can make them too bold because they will obscure the place names you've added. I want to be able to see the difference when the weather turns but not at the price of having to squint hard to make out what the underlying terrain is.

What's the release date...?...

Once again, thanks very much for your efforts with this.

Regards,
ID

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: New map for WITE Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI