Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Resource Storage - is there a limit

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Resource Storage - is there a limit Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Resource Storage - is there a limit - 6/3/2013 1:36:43 PM   
Osito

I have now had a few games where my total resources have been massive, far more than could be stored on my spaceports. I assume the excess is stored on planets ...???

I was also wondering whether there is any limit to the quantity of resources you can store? Is it possible to reach a point where resources are being mined, but there's nowhere to put them (or, alternatively, that resources will not be mined because there's nowhere to put them).

Presumably it's possible for mining stations to get full. In that event, would they stop mining (and depleting the resource) or would they keep mining the resource, and throw away anything they can't store. Is it possible to tell which is happening?
Post #: 1
RE: Resource Storage - is there a limit - 6/3/2013 3:02:05 PM   
invaderzim

I've wondered about this too. It would be nice if there was a way to tell if which one of your star ports needs more cargo space. It would be even better if the AI could just build more cargo holds automatically as needed without having to go through a number of redesigns screens.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 2
RE: Resource Storage - is there a limit - 6/3/2013 3:09:39 PM   
Bingeling

All bases built at colonies store their stuff on the colony. Just poke at the inventory of your defensive base to confirm this. Spaceports for sure share storage and don't really need any of their own.

Resupply ships will try to balance their stores when full (same amount of hydrogen and caslon). I think mining bases do the same, that is, trying to keep the same amount of all resources it mines. It is easier to notice on resuplly ships, though, since they actually get full quite frequently.

(in reply to invaderzim)
Post #: 3
RE: Resource Storage - is there a limit - 6/3/2013 4:44:57 PM   
Plant

Yes, Spaceports share their resources with the planet they are on. At least that's what I assume, because my spaceports carry many times more than they should be able to.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 4
RE: Resource Storage - is there a limit - 6/3/2013 4:53:07 PM   
invaderzim

Do planets have unlimited resource storage? I wonder if you could gain or lose significant amounts of resources by capturing or losing planets. I don't recall ever getting a message about that though.

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 5
RE: Resource Storage - is there a limit - 6/3/2013 6:16:00 PM   
Bebop Cola

My spaceports for standard empires have no internal cargo bays beyond any mandatory requirements(of which I don't think there are any). The planet is their cargo bay, and the planet appears to have infinite capacity.

(in reply to invaderzim)
Post #: 6
RE: Resource Storage - is there a limit - 6/3/2013 6:28:44 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bebop Cola

My spaceports for standard empires have no internal cargo bays beyond any mandatory requirements(of which I don't think there are any). The planet is their cargo bay, and the planet appears to have infinite capacity.

That's very useful. I'd been piling the storage on my planetary spaceports, because I thought I needed to.

(in reply to Bebop Cola)
Post #: 7
RE: Resource Storage - is there a limit - 6/3/2013 8:57:42 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: invaderzim

Do planets have unlimited resource storage? I wonder if you could gain or lose significant amounts of resources by capturing or losing planets. I don't recall ever getting a message about that though.

I don't know if it is unlimited, but you can bet you can store a LOT of stuff on a planet. Planets are pretty huge after all.

I've never hit a limit on any of the sandbox games I've played, and my games can go on for weeks on end.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to invaderzim)
Post #: 8
RE: Resource Storage - is there a limit - 6/3/2013 9:31:44 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

I don't know if it is unlimited, but you can bet you can store a LOT of stuff on a planet. Planets are pretty huge after all.

Now if we could only find the planet that DATA stashes his stolen Ale on!

(Must be a HUGE planet!

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 6/3/2013 9:32:19 PM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 9
RE: Resource Storage - is there a limit - 6/3/2013 9:35:16 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Now if we could only find the planet that DATA stashes his stolen Ale on!

(Must be a HUGE planet!

Aye, no one would ever hear from us again if we do find it.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 10
RE: Resource Storage - is there a limit - 6/3/2013 9:38:26 PM   
Magnatude

Don't know if this is answered elsewhere, but...
If your pirate fleet raids a planet and emerges with a massive amount of resources from the pillaging. Do these items stay with the fleet and get dumped when you reach one of your starbases? How exactly are these supplies distributed?

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 11
RE: Resource Storage - is there a limit - 6/3/2013 9:52:51 PM   
invaderzim

quote:

ORIGINAL: Magnatude

Don't know if this is answered elsewhere, but...
If your pirate fleet raids a planet and emerges with a massive amount of resources from the pillaging. Do these items stay with the fleet and get dumped when you reach one of your starbases? How exactly are these supplies distributed?

Also... does the trick of using a planet as a big cargo bay backfire if pirates raid? If there's more cargo for them to take, do they steal more cargo? Assuming the way raiding works is that take take a percentage of whatever is on the planet.

< Message edited by invaderzim -- 6/3/2013 9:53:35 PM >

(in reply to Magnatude)
Post #: 12
RE: Resource Storage - is there a limit - 6/4/2013 3:00:12 AM   
Magnatude

I've personally seen my pirates raid a planet and apparently gained obscene amounts of loot.... I look at the message and wonder how the heck are they carrying all that???

(in reply to invaderzim)
Post #: 13
RE: Resource Storage - is there a limit - 6/4/2013 5:44:48 AM   
invaderzim

Apparently they can even bring the loot home even if you blow up their ships. Maybe they stash it in very small black holes? :)

(in reply to Magnatude)
Post #: 14
RE: Resource Storage - is there a limit - 6/4/2013 4:34:13 PM   
Plant

Yeah, some raids give me 500 000 resources, but I guess for gameplay reasons, they made it so you don't have design ships with cargo bays and to hang around the planet, then go to a base to deposit the resources. Actually, that sounds much cooler than the current raid mechanic.

(in reply to invaderzim)
Post #: 15
RE: Resource Storage - is there a limit - 6/4/2013 4:39:07 PM   
Bebop Cola

To be honest, I would kind of prefer that any loot to be taken, beyond a bare minimum that can fit into the cargo holds of the raiding ships, requires freighters to flock to the colony and haul everything away. A successful raid could set a priority "come here" flag for private sector freighters to drop other tasks and perform a pickup of everything at the raided colony. The flag would last either for a set amount of time or as long as pirate ships are in orbit and/or control the system. Once the colony resources were depleted(completely or to a certain percentage) the flag would expire. The flag could be related to the current "recently raided" flag.

I'm sure it would require a significant re-work of the pirate raid system at the very least, if not the entire pirate system, so it's probably not worth worrying about. Just thinking.

(in reply to invaderzim)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Resource Storage - is there a limit Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI