Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A data display bug

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> A data display bug Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A data display bug - 1/7/2003 10:53:44 PM   
EricLarsen

When I played the demo, and last night when I played my first game, I noticed a data display bug that cuts off the last line or so of ship systems. I'll see almost all of the ship systems except the last one and I can just see the very tippy top of the line sticking out from the bottom edge of the screen. I'm using 1024x768 16-bit true color display settings on a NEC Multisync 95 19" monitor.

Andrew, could you please move that ship display up a few lines so that we see the whole set of ship's systems?
Eric Larsen
Post #: 1
- 1/7/2003 11:48:13 PM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

I'll take a look.

Developer of Starships Unlimited

(in reply to EricLarsen)
Post #: 2
Thanks - 1/8/2003 3:53:23 AM   
EricLarsen

Andrew,
Thanks for taking a look into that display bug that cuts off the last line or so of ship's data displayed. I'm also going to try expanding my visual field a teensy bit and centering it even better through my monitor controls to see if that helps but I think it's in the program as I always see everything in every other program.
Eric Larsen

(in reply to EricLarsen)
Post #: 3
- 1/8/2003 11:28:56 PM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

I think this may be a problem with your monitor settings. Let me explain. Monitors are now smart enough to remember the settings for each of the screen resolutions you use. If you haven't used a screen setting then you may be forced to adjust your monitor and save the settings for that specific resolution. Strange but true.

(in reply to EricLarsen)
Post #: 4
- 1/9/2003 9:30:42 AM   
Maxfreeboard

That's exactly what my Mag monitor does and now I have 9 settings saved so it hasn't asked me about saving any new setting for a long time.

(in reply to EricLarsen)
Post #: 5
And the correct settings are??? - 1/10/2003 10:51:55 PM   
EricLarsen

Originally posted by Andrew Ewanchyna
[B]I think this may be a problem with your monitor settings. Let me explain. Monitors are now smart enough to remember the settings for each of the screen resolutions you use. If you haven't used a screen setting then you may be forced to adjust your monitor and save the settings for that specific resolution. Strange but true. [/B]

Andrew,
If monitor settings are so vital to seeing everything then exactly what settings should I be using for my monitor so that I get to see all the info? Do I go to 1260x1048 (or whatever those exact numbers are) resolution? I'm seeing everything else okay, even the mouse cursor. Please advise as to the best monitor setting so I can see everything.
Eric Larsen

(in reply to EricLarsen)
Post #: 6
- 1/10/2003 11:01:32 PM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

It's not so much that the monitor settings are so vital as to the fact that I use the extremes of the screen to display information. A more seasoned developer would probably place more space between the edges of the screen and any important information. The game sets the screen resolution. It doesn't matter what screen resolution your desktop is at. It's during this time that you need to adjust your monitor. FYI the game uses 800x600x16 color.

(in reply to EricLarsen)
Post #: 7
I'll give that a try - 1/11/2003 4:26:33 AM   
EricLarsen

Originally posted by Andrew Ewanchyna
[B]It's not so much that the monitor settings are so vital as to the fact that I use the extremes of the screen to display information. A more seasoned developer would probably place more space between the edges of the screen and any important information. The game sets the screen resolution. It doesn't matter what screen resolution your desktop is at. It's during this time that you need to adjust your monitor. FYI the game uses 800x600x16 color. [/B]

Andrew,
Well I guess we learn from our mistakes when we're starting out in something new. Hopefully you won't make the mistake of using the extreme edges to display data. I did try to adjust my monitor setting by going to 1280x1048 (or something close to those numbers) and it actually helped me to see more info. I was actually able to see all of the ship components, and the line about a ship having special abilities. But the special abilities wouldn't show completely. On one ship I could see one of the two special abilities, but on the other ships I couldn't see any of their special abilities. I'll give the 800x600x16 setting on my monitor a try as I doubt I ever used that low of a setting before and hopefully that's what's hanging me up. I'll let you know the results.
Eric Larsen

(in reply to EricLarsen)
Post #: 8
Still missing something - 1/11/2003 5:33:06 AM   
EricLarsen

Andrew,
I went and set my monitor to 800x600x16 colors and it didn't do anthing to further help me see all the ship's specs. Even going into the game at 800x600 did nothing further to make everything show up. When I had earlier set my monitor up to a higher setting, 1280x1048 or something close to that, it actually helped me to see almost every line. Where I had always been unable to see the last ship component I had built I am now able to see all the way to the special ability line. Now I can actually see the inertial dampeners and teleporters and other stuff that doesn't take up ship slots that I never saw before. Now if I see the special ability line, singular, I miss the one special ability. If I see special abilities, plural, I see the first of two but not the second of two (haven't gotten past two yet to see how that works but I'd bet I always miss seeing the last special ability). There's no problem as far as the side goes, everything is visible horizontally just not vertically.

Could you please move that text routine up a few lines so that there's absolutely no doubt that we see every line of ship and world capabilities.:)
Eric Larsen

(in reply to EricLarsen)
Post #: 9
Possible fix? - 1/14/2003 12:20:35 AM   
IonCannon

Hi all,

I was wondering if Andrew could fix this problem up by including the use of vertical scrollbars. Maybe do it like Windows start menu, where arrows appear at the top and bottom to enable you to browse the whole menu.

That way, we can navigate up and down individual menus without having to worry about screen resolutions.

Just an idea I thought I'd share with you all. Comments are welcome :)

(in reply to EricLarsen)
Post #: 10
Good Idea - 1/14/2003 5:05:29 AM   
EricLarsen

IonCannon,
I like your idea of some kind of scrolling tool so that we know we can see all the pertinent info on any ship or world. Considering that a cruiser can have many build slots, and devices and artifacts that don't take up build slots, some of those lists get to be quite long. I'm also glad I'm not the only one to notice I'm not seeing everything I should be seeing.:p

I did fiddle with my monitor settings and tried to make sure I was filling the screen as much as possible. I did find that when i set my monitor up to 1280x1048 (or whatever comes closest to that number combo) that I actually was able to see more stuff on the list down to the next to the last item. The last item still stays just out of sight.
Eric Larsen

(in reply to EricLarsen)
Post #: 11
Self-repairing video bug? - 1/14/2003 10:34:09 PM   
EricLarsen

I was playing last night when I noticed something extremely incredible, I could see all of my ship's stuff!:eek:

I couldn't belive it but where a ship said it had a special ability I could see the special ability, if the ship said it had 4 I could see all 4. ;)

I guess somehow in trying different video display window settings, including 800x600, I was able to allow the program to find the right setting so I could see everything. Talk about bug fixes, how about a user self-repairing bug fix! So if you can't see every line then fiddle with your display settings and reboot and wait a few days and see if your video problem doesn't self-repair! :D
Eric Larsen

(in reply to EricLarsen)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> A data display bug Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI