Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is there a way to frontload resources into a new colony?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Is there a way to frontload resources into a new colony? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is there a way to frontload resources into a new colony? - 6/9/2013 8:18:31 AM   
FerretStyle

For example, to have enough resources to build a medium spaceport?

Kind of tired of waiting decades before my new colonies can build anything (in a huge map).
Post #: 1
RE: Is there a way to frontload resources into a new co... - 6/9/2013 9:17:22 AM   
jesuswhywhy

Which version are you running and or expansion?

Correct me if im wrong but stockpiles "construction requirements" are generalized into 2.
1 being empire and
2 being galaxy "ie civilian excursion trips? and free trade agreements"

if your spaceport has all the stuff it needs in your empire then it should make its way down to the colony? if its in short supply (in shadows its quiet clear ure in short supply) but in previous expansions u have to find ways of checking planets cargo and empires stockpile vs components requirements

I would try and find what the spaceport really needs ie steel or something, and then making sure u have suffience supply vs demand, it or that its in transit.

Work-around being build "lighter" component spaceports and refit them gradually but thats very fiddly

hope it helps, but it prolly wont lol

< Message edited by jesuswhywhy -- 6/9/2013 9:22:25 AM >

(in reply to FerretStyle)
Post #: 2
RE: Is there a way to frontload resources into a new co... - 6/9/2013 9:21:47 AM   
FerretStyle

quote:

ORIGINAL: jesuswhywhy
hope it helps, but it prolly wont lol

Not really. But thanks anyway.

The situation I find myself running into is this: I take over a colony 7+ sectors away from my own systems and I'm then forced to babysit it for years and years (because freighters either don't take any resources to it or they take forever to do so).

(in reply to jesuswhywhy)
Post #: 3
RE: Is there a way to frontload resources into a new co... - 6/9/2013 9:24:50 AM   
jesuswhywhy

7+ sectors ouch
i would try and build an infrastructure down there.

Post #: 4
RE: Is there a way to frontload resources into a new co... - 6/9/2013 2:35:18 PM   
invaderzim

Try ordering a construction ship to build a large spaceport near your new colony. It will go pick up all the required resources. Before it arrives, cancel the mission and tell it to refuel at the colony. This sometimes forces it to drop it's cargo at the colony which should give you everything you need to build a starport there.

(in reply to jesuswhywhy)
Post #: 5
RE: Is there a way to frontload resources into a new co... - 6/9/2013 3:32:39 PM   
turtlefang

Not that I know of but the issue you're running into with a colony 7 sectors away is that the frieghters supporting the colony run out of fuel before getting about halfway there or so. Then they literally crawl - and it ties up freighters for extremely long periods of time. Anything more than three sectors is usually a major problem.

Post #: 6
RE: Is there a way to frontload resources into a new co... - 6/9/2013 5:00:57 PM   
invaderzim

Redesigning your freighters with more fuel cells might help. But you'd have to wait for them to retrofit.

Maybe more cargo space too, but I think it's hard to get them to carry more than they normally do.

< Message edited by invaderzim -- 6/9/2013 5:01:10 PM >

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 7
RE: Is there a way to frontload resources into a new co... - 6/9/2013 6:39:13 PM   
Ob1ivion

It's probably not as quick of a solution as you'd like, but you can set a pirate mission to deliver all resources to the colony. It still takes some time, but it'll actually get your new colony supplies instead of waiting on out of fuel private sector ships.

(in reply to invaderzim)
Post #: 8
RE: Is there a way to frontload resources into a new co... - 6/9/2013 6:40:08 PM   
FerretStyle

Heh, fuel was definitely something I thought of ahead of time. All of my designs have at minimum 3 mega-density fuel cells. 32 sector range? Sure, why not. That's still not enough for a round trip from one corner of the galaxy to the other (but it's close enough).

< Message edited by FerretStyle -- 6/9/2013 6:42:23 PM >

(in reply to invaderzim)
Post #: 9
RE: Is there a way to frontload resources into a new co... - 6/10/2013 3:37:05 AM   
Jeeves

You don't start a colony with a medium, just a stripped down small spaceport, to be upgraded to medium when completed. Try to keep the size under 1200 in early game for small, 2400 for medium, and 4800 for large. My home world upgrades regularly until its spaceport is eventually about 10000 size...

Lonnie Courtney Clay
ps Rather than designing spaceports for killing bear, make a moderate strength spaceport and surround the colony with six defense bases at the facets of the spaceport. Click on the colony and select build for a location radially outwards from the spaceport, in space near the planet.

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Post #: 10
RE: Is there a way to frontload resources into a new co... - 6/10/2013 3:41:07 AM   
FerretStyle

I do start all colonies with a barebones small space port.

The issue is that taking over a colony deep in enemy territory requires something more substantial to defend it. These also tend to have an established population, which I would want to build a bigger spaceport for anyway.

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 11
RE: Is there a way to frontload resources into a new co... - 6/10/2013 6:33:31 PM   
Plant

7 sectors away? No wonder the freighters don't go there. Surely you should include that kind of information in your opening post.

Post #: 12
RE: Is there a way to frontload resources into a new co... - 6/17/2013 5:50:39 AM   
MarQan

If you're colonizing it, yes:
every component of the Colonization ship gets disassembled for the colony.

Post #: 13
RE: Is there a way to frontload resources into a new co... - 6/17/2013 2:31:27 PM   
elanaagain

I design my new (initial) star-base at new colonies to be bare bones. Components for three construction yards, docking bays, reactors, fuel storage, and med/rec facilities. Then I design, as sitrep develops, a variety of upgrades to this bare bones star-base. Some go heavy def, some lite defense. I find it important to get a basic star-port up and running to get the colony plugged in. Even in hostile areas, this seems to work better (just need a decent flotilla paroling the colony).

USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology

(in reply to MarQan)
Post #: 14
RE: Is there a way to frontload resources into a new co... - 6/17/2013 3:32:49 PM   
FerretStyle

So is it safe to summarize every single response I've gotten in this thread to "No"?

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 15
RE: Is there a way to frontload resources into a new co... - 6/17/2013 5:51:49 PM   
feelotraveller

If you are desperate enough (and have the cash to spare) you can get resources to the colony by building a huge construction (or resupply) ship, making sure to include components which use the amount of resources you want, and then retiring it at the required colony. The process may take a while but it guarantees that you get at your colony the resources which went into making the construction ship. You will not get the money back (or the fuel, I think).

Post #: 16
RE: Is there a way to frontload resources into a new co... - 6/17/2013 6:02:40 PM   
Ralzakark

As jesuswhywhy says, best thing might be to build mines around it to have local resources.

In previous versions of the game one problem people complained about was that building at new colonies was too easy, so it was deliberately pulled back so that you couldn't just found a colony and have it straight away fully stocked with raw materials.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 17
RE: Is there a way to frontload resources into a new co... - 6/18/2013 10:21:48 AM   
DarkThug

quote:

ORIGINAL: FerretStyle

So is it safe to summarize every single response I've gotten in this thread to "No"?

Form what I read, that seem to be the case lol.

Another advice though even when you "conquer" that colony. You will still want to start by building small spaceport first before upgrading it and rely on the very fleet that conquer it for substantial defend for the time being.

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Is there a way to frontload resources into a new colony? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI