Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Greatest Japanese Achievements?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Greatest Japanese Achievements? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/5/2013 4:59:06 PM   
buckaroo13

I'm enjoying re-immersing myself in all things WiTP but was curious about long term Japanese Success in the campaign game. We all know Japanese is behind the 8 ball but what are some of the greatest victories you folks have pulled off as the Japanese? Has anyone successfully invaded the Hawaii Islands or the US Homeland or some other amazing feat?
Post #: 1
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/5/2013 5:36:02 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: buckaroo13

I'm enjoying re-immersing myself in all things WiTP but was curious about long term Japanese Success in the campaign game. We all know Japanese is behind the 8 ball but what are some of the greatest victories you folks have pulled off as the Japanese? Has anyone successfully invaded the Hawaii Islands or the US Homeland or some other amazing feat?

AFAIK PzB basically managed to win the match against AndyMac, repeatetly destroying several allied attempts to break his perimeter.
Rader, against me, managed to conquer the whole China and the whole of India but Karachi.
John III managed to conquer the whole Australia in one of his present games.
Afaik none has managed to conquer the Hawaii or Canada.

(in reply to buckaroo13)
Post #: 2
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/5/2013 5:37:53 PM   
nashvillen

My fav, was sinking every US carrier by April 1942 without any losses and splitting the KB into three parts and rampaging in four areas. Mini-KB in the DEI, Soryu-Hiryu around Australia, Akagi-Kaga in the SOPAC, and Shokaku-Zuikaku in CENTPAC-NOPAC. All four groups were racking up ship kills with very little losses.

(in reply to buckaroo13)
Post #: 3
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/6/2013 1:41:51 AM   
morejeffs

I think one has to distinguish between Scen 1 and then the uber Japanese scenarios (scen 2 or RA).

A Japanese victory in Scenario is incredibly impressive.

A Japanese victory in the uber scenarios is an achievement, but should not be that shocking.

Also much depends on HR (for certain things like land war in China...not so much for CV combat)

that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 4
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/6/2013 1:47:49 AM   
morejeffs

Please do not misunderstand my post.
A. The Japanese uber games make much better "games" in the sense that scenario still favors the allies, it is certainly not a shock that
Japan can win.

B. Winning as the Japanese in the uber games is still not a piece of cake. Just not the truly shocking event it would be in scenario 1 (or the dababes version
of scenario 1).

C. HRs can have a huge effect on play by
A. Allowing really gamey stuff (ie, nuking all of Chinese light industry so the China gets zero supply)
B. Disallowing realistic things so as to favor one side (not allowing strategic bombing at night (even past 1944) or below 20,000 feet.

Kudos to the Japanese victories mentioned above.

that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

(in reply to morejeffs)
Post #: 5
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/6/2013 1:55:40 AM   
panzer cat

I lost my entire carrier fleet in the Battle of the Bismark Sea in may of 42, oh you said victory.

(in reply to morejeffs)
Post #: 6
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/7/2013 12:15:11 AM   
Kull

Completing the "Day 2" Japanese force dispositions. Everything after that has been cake.

(in reply to panzer cat)
Post #: 7
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/7/2013 12:47:05 AM   
Andy Mac

Ok I never surrendered I wanted to fight on !!!

(just call me the black knight !!!!)

I all seriousness pzb handed me my arse on a plate

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 8
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/7/2013 12:54:39 AM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

quote:

AFAIK PzB basically managed to win the match against AndyMac, repeatetly destroying several allied attempts to break his perimeter.
Rader, against me, managed to conquer the whole China and the whole of India but Karachi.
John III managed to conquer the whole Australia in one of his present games.
Afaik none has managed to conquer the Hawaii or Canada.

BANZAI!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 9
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/7/2013 12:55:54 AM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

Completing the "Day 2" Japanese force dispositions. Everything after that has been cake.

THAT made me laugh. I feel that pain Sir.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 6/7/2013 1:38:22 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 10
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/7/2013 1:18:24 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

THAT made me laugh. I fell that pain Sir.

I was wondering how long it was going to take.

What about the December 6 orders phase? If anything is worse than December 7, it's that one.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 11
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/7/2013 11:32:27 AM   
Itdepends

You see I thought this was an off topic thread so when reading the title the first thing that popped into my mind was Amine. Followed Yamaha/Honda/Kawasaki bikes.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 12
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/7/2013 4:28:37 PM   
buckaroo13

While Strategically ill advised have the Hawaii islands ever been taken? Can they?

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 13
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/7/2013 4:42:08 PM   
rms1pa

quote:

While Strategically ill advised have the Hawaii islands ever been taken? Can they?

as with anything, if they devote the resources to it, they can do it. however the price will be high. not so much in the Hawaian area but elsewhere where they will not have the those resources.

rms/pa

there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.

(in reply to buckaroo13)
Post #: 14
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/9/2013 8:43:54 AM   
1275psi

herbiean feels pretty good at the moment

scene 1
I have sunk 5 of the original allied CVs, put holes into the last one, sunk 8 BBs (at sea, no pearl harbour strike), 2 CVL and 2 essex class now, still holds the moulmien line, hollandia, and is still (just) fighting for timor. And its almost mid july 44

Still ahead on points as well.

I have been lucky though.

< Message edited by 1275psi -- 6/9/2013 8:44:30 AM >

(in reply to buckaroo13)
Post #: 15
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/9/2013 9:26:29 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: rms1pa

quote:

as with anything, if they devote the resources to it, they can do it. however the price will be high. not so much in the Hawaian area but elsewhere where they will not have the those resources.

rms/pa

I seem to remember someone testing this out recently? They put EVERYTHING into a PH assault but still failed miserable. They did a lot of testing and came to the conclusion it actually was impossible.

(in reply to rms1pa)
Post #: 16
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/9/2013 2:42:18 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1275psi

herbiean feels pretty good at the moment

scene 1
I have sunk 5 of the original allied CVs, put holes into the last one, sunk 8 BBs (at sea, no pearl harbour strike), 2 CVL and 2 essex class now, still holds the moulmien line, hollandia, and is still (just) fighting for timor. And its almost mid july 44

Still ahead on points as well.

I have been lucky though.

Can I rub your tummy for luck Sir? Cannot find ANY in my match with the Southern Paddler!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 17
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/10/2013 8:10:57 AM   
PanzerDaddy

Is that you my old "archenemy" from Uncommon Valor? Jeffrey S*ms?

I used to be Ursa Maior but lost my access when my email was infiltrated.

(in reply to morejeffs)
Post #: 18
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/10/2013 10:42:07 AM   
morejeffs

Yes it is I...
How have you been.

Actually, I am early in an RA campaign....
Very worried about the long term and suffering the usually early Allied tortures....And there are plenty...
Am trying my best to attrit transports and pilots. (yeah, I know I can not outright beat the Japanese in the air now,
but if I can suffer 1.25 losses to 1 loss (or even 1.5) then it is probably worth it to kill pilots).

UV was a blast...Could do 3-4 games at once...Not with AE...

(in reply to PanzerDaddy)
Post #: 19
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/10/2013 12:14:21 PM   
PanzerDaddy

Welcome back. I am fine thanks. Not an entrepeneur anymore. Tried to reach you a couple of times once a year or so. ;-)

Still in Japan?

As of AE remember the basics of strategy. Time, space, force and information. As you have too many places to defend (and you cannot defend them all) keep as much distance from KB as much possible.

< Message edited by PanzerDaddy -- 6/10/2013 12:15:12 PM >

(in reply to morejeffs)
Post #: 20
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/11/2013 2:22:28 AM   
John 3rd

I thought that was you morejeffs!

Ursa Major? I remember your old moniker from those days. Good to have you back in action.

I'm trying to get my UV up and running because my 10 year-old wants to learn how to play it. Be a lot of fun watching him play. He is fixated on Midway and Pearl Harbor right now and reads everything he can find on it.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

Post #: 21
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/11/2013 5:48:24 AM   
morejeffs

I am still running my small business....My 15 yr old son sadly has little interest in military history...UV was so much fun.
I also think because you could play so many games, the sting of losing a game was much less...

I am trying to stay away from the KB, but sadly some transport TFs have yet to get the warp engines I am working on

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 22
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/11/2013 7:20:52 AM   
PanzerDaddy

Good to see you back old grognards. And I am glad to be back ;-).

I play War at Sea minis with my son, he is 10, hoping it would raise his interest. Used to play World Of tanks, but he was so hooked up I had delete the game.

Still flirting with the idea of playing a GC in WitP AE, yet my wife has a say too since this means an second life (with all the bookkeping, planning, executing and stuff).

And back to topic, my glorious moment was back in UV, when I managed to surprise jeffs, by landing in Noumea (or where was that) instead of Guadalcanal. Still lost the game though :D

(in reply to morejeffs)
Post #: 23
RE: Greatest Japanese Achievements? - 6/11/2013 7:56:51 AM   
morejeffs

A very nasty surprise indeed!

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Greatest Japanese Achievements? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI