Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/8/2013 7:13:07 AM   
BBfanboy

All credit to you for having the "right stuff" present, including your own intestinal fortitude!
Nemo has been maintaining that the Allies should seek night battles in poor visibility conditions to get to point blank range before engaging, and have surprise because of their radar. Your battle strongly supports his doctrine.

Also critical was having British and Australian ships with high experience and working torps. With good commanders they are just as deadly as the Japanese. Give them first shot and OUCH!
BTW, I am certain it was Hotspur that fired those torps at Mutsu. It has a highly experienced crew, considered a hero ship for its torpedo attacks against the Italian fleet.

Your vacation will be all the sweeter for eliminating a big threat to your pixels!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2131
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/8/2013 9:07:49 AM   
JocMeister

Nice work CR. I bet John is really fuming right now and blaming the engine and whatnot.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 2132
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/8/2013 11:23:35 AM   
Miller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Ugh. What a terrible turn for John. Gotta feel for the guy, but he brought a bunch of it on himself.

That $10 is almost in the bank.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2133
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/8/2013 1:45:28 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
77/57

More 'accidental' key strokes, Dan? Also-the sudden appearance of those torpedo-equipped Avengers to the surprise of your readers...

You sandbagging us?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2134
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/8/2013 1:57:54 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

quote:

Ugh. What a terrible turn for John. Gotta feel for the guy, but he brought a bunch of it on himself.

Not just yet!!

This is John's mod right? He can't quit before he gets all of those toys 5-9 months earlier than usual. Didn't he make extra BCs in this mod anyway? He's got to let CR have a go at the atoll defense units at least.

Someone should start an odds thread for ongoing games! (Or maybe that's a bad idea).

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 2135
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/8/2013 2:54:18 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

quote:

Not just yet!!

This is John's mod right? He can't quit before he gets all of those toys 5-9 months earlier than usual. Didn't he make extra BCs in this mod anyway? He's got to let CR have a go at the atoll defense units at least.

Someone should start an odds thread for ongoing games! (Or maybe that's a bad idea).

OK. You want to go double or nothing on this one for starters, mate?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2136
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/8/2013 3:29:56 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not just yet!!

That's assuming I've lost the first one, which is not the case. I'll stick with the original bet but throw in a few beers if it happens this does end by Dec. 30 1943 and I'm ever driving through MN or you're stopping over in London.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2137
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/8/2013 3:54:19 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not just yet!!

That's assuming I've lost the first one, which is not the case. I'll stick with the original bet but throw in a few beers if it happens this does end by Dec. 30 1943 and I'm ever driving through MN or you're stopping over in London.

Right. Done and done.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2138
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/9/2013 12:49:08 AM   
Schlemiel

That 1000 yard thing is brutal. I do think it comes down more to who has the better, faster ships as to who benefits. Sending battleships that close at night seems pretty suicidal to me (for either side). I'd honestly fear the cruiser group more than anything with a bb at that range in the dark in 42.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2139
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/9/2013 2:04:50 AM   
crsutton

I just don't understand the general love of using old BBs at night. Ok, sometimes you just have to-especially if you are playing Japan but it just happens way too often. Yes, of course they can deal out damage, but how many times have you seen them engage at 2,000 meters and not fire a single shot. Why give the enemy an opportunity to land torpedo blows on valuable capital ships? This is just what DDs are made for. I see no economy in risking BBs in the hopes that they will shoot up some CLs and DDs. It is not cost effective in any way. 10 major flotation damage on an old BB means at least two months in the yard. It is crazy to use them this way and people have seen enough combat results by now that it is even crazier to send them in expecting any other results.

Not to mention what happens when air power catches the old pigs as they limp away the following day....

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Schlemiel)
Post #: 2140
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/9/2013 2:09:51 AM   
crsutton

quote:

Wow, I just went through a strange experience. (I only have time for a brief post as I have an errand to run for 1.5 hours. Much more later). I watched an excruciatingly long replay with countless ship combat rounds....in which the Allies came out ahead, but not to the point of demanding unconditional surrender. Then, I opened the turn file, which seemed to indicate something entirely and dramtically different. The combat report embedded in this replay seems to confirm that the Allies won a resounding victory. As best I can tell Japan suffered the loss or heavy damage to three or perhaps four BBs while the Allies lost one CA (amongs other lesser damages). More later, but I think the Second Battle of Assam was a decisive Allied victory. I think.

This does happen to me when there are massive battles. The replay has nothing to do with the outcome. Seems to only really happen when a big fight takes place.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2141
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/9/2013 2:37:37 AM   
JohnDillworth

Dan did all the right things and got big victory. He is an outstanding player but the gods of war are smiling on him to some extent. American torpedoes don't work that well in 1942 yet he killed or cripple a CV a few weeks back and now both PT boats and TBF's have killed BB's. If you take those 2 kills out the outcome is a bit closer. Fortune may favor the bold, but it really favors the prepared. Dan put those TBF's and PT's into places they would not normally be. That and a bit of lucked worked wonders

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 2142
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/9/2013 12:19:53 PM   
viberpol

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

Wow, I just went through a strange experience. (I only have time for a brief post as I have an errand to run for 1.5 hours. Much more later). I watched an excruciatingly long replay with countless ship combat rounds....in which the Allies came out ahead, but not to the point of demanding unconditional surrender. Then, I opened the turn file, which seemed to indicate something entirely and dramtically different. The combat report embedded in this replay seems to confirm that the Allies won a resounding victory. As best I can tell Japan suffered the loss or heavy damage to three or perhaps four BBs while the Allies lost one CA (amongs other lesser damages). More later, but I think the Second Battle of Assam was a decisive Allied victory. I think.

This does happen to me when there are massive battles. The replay has nothing to do with the outcome. Seems to only really happen when a big fight takes place.

From my experience Ross, it doesn't have to be a major combat but it happens sometimes when the PTs are engaged...

Frankly speaking somehow I feel pity for John. He's my opponent in other RA (very slow paced). We're in march '42 and John is playing Allies... and I must say he has his a** spanked several times just now... well, so, he must be in an interesting mood right now...

Przy lackim orle, przy koniu Kiejstuta Archanioł Rusi na proporcach błysł

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 2143
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/9/2013 9:55:32 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: viberpol

quote:

quote:

From my experience Ross, it doesn't have to be a major combat but it happens sometimes when the PTs are engaged...

Frankly speaking somehow I feel pity for John. He's my opponent in other RA (very slow paced). We're in march '42 and John is playing Allies... and I must say he has his a** spanked several times just now... well, so, he must be in an interesting mood right now...

You are right Ark but Canoe did not have swarms of PTs and that is when it gets to be a problem. I think our HR of one PT TF of not more than six vessels at a single base has worked well. Besides, PT boats with radar and equipped with the later version torpedo only go to confirm my point about using old BBs at night at close range. You could sink 50 PTs and that would not compensate for a sunk BB. You are optimizing the opportunity for your enemy to make good use of his PTs.

There is a historical basis for this as well. After the Solomons campaign the US navy determined that it was counter productive to use BBs and treaty CAs in night actions. Slow turrets and slow rate for fire just did not work due to the need for frequent course changes. I think the game does a very good job of duplicating the risks here.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to viberpol)
Post #: 2144
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/9/2013 10:34:33 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

After the Solomons campaign the US navy determined that it was counter productive to use BBs and treaty CAs in night actions. Slow turrets and slow rate for fire just did not work due to the need for frequent course changes.
I did not know this. Thank You. Makes sense. One wonders if turret speed or rate of fire is what made the Allied CL's great. Probably both

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 2145
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/10/2013 12:27:04 AM   
princep01

Obvert, it is off topic, but I am just back from your grand city and I must say, as a first time visitor to the UK and London, that London is an absolutely awesome city.  Standing near Trafalgar Square (at the Nelson Tower), I was simply awestuck by the sense of history everywhere in the city.  I respectfully said to my wife, "I think there is more history in two blocks of this city than the entire state of Texas".  I absolutely loved my too short stay there.  I know you appreciate what humanity has there, but there is a lot to savor and respect!!

For those of you that have never visited London, I urge you to go.  I have been in Rome, Madrid, Berlin and Vienna and in none of these very great cities have I been so absolutely stricken with a city's granduer 

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 2146
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/10/2013 1:28:19 AM   
Cribtop

Gotta agree. London is awesome.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2147
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/10/2013 2:07:45 AM   
Q-Ball

London is awesome, and I think the food is underrated. Brits have a reputation for bad cooking, but that's bollocks, as they say. (Actually it may have been because the food post-war was so wretched)

I was just in Paris and London, and thought the food was better in London

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 2148
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/10/2013 4:04:23 AM   
Chickenboy

A number of years back, travelled to Londinium, Paris and a number of other Euro cities du jour. Most of them were "meh". Londinium and the UK is one place that I could really enjoy spending more time.

ETA: Props to Roma. Was nice. And I got to shake the Pope's hand. Beat that!

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 6/10/2013 4:05:21 AM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 2149
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/10/2013 8:02:52 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: princep01

Obvert, it is off topic, but I am just back from your grand city and I must say, as a first time visitor to the UK and London, that London is an absolutely awesome city.  Standing near Trafalgar Square (at the Nelson Tower), I was simply awestuck by the sense of history everywhere in the city.  I respectfully said to my wife, "I think there is more history in two blocks of this city than the entire state of Texas".  I absolutely loved my too short stay there.  I know you appreciate what humanity has there, but there is a lot to savor and respect!!

For those of you that have never visited London, I urge you to go.  I have been in Rome, Madrid, Berlin and Vienna and in none of these very great cities have I been so absolutely stricken with a city's granduer 

It is amazing. I live within a 5 minute walk of the standing visible remains of the Roman wall! Across the street from my flat is a graveyard, Bunhill Fields (used to be 'bone hill fields') where Daniel Defoe and William Blake are buried (along with apparently 120,000 others ). A german bomb landed one block away during the blitz (I cringe walking around the city seeing the filled in spaces imagining what this city was like during that time) and cleared space between the Georgian homes on the street for a Virgin Gym where I now go to swim. I can see the dome of St Paul's from my living room window and the Olympic Stadium from my bedroom.

It is an incredible place. And yes, British food is great, especially after the gastro-pub revolution in the last 10 years, but it's really the multi-cultural food everywhere that makes this place special. Anything from anywhere, and very good.

So anyone traveling here get in touch. I know a few secrets, and can take you for a pint in one of the still operating 300-400 year old pubs where you'll have to duck to get in the door and you'd better enjoy room temperature real ales.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 6/10/2013 12:12:59 PM >

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2150
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/10/2013 10:05:12 AM   
Wuffer

/OT
this is another superb pic, obvert. :-)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2151
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/10/2013 4:45:20 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

After the Solomons campaign the US navy determined that it was counter productive to use BBs and treaty CAs in night actions. Slow turrets and slow rate for fire just did not work due to the need for frequent course changes.
I did not know this. Thank You. Makes sense. One wonders if turret speed or rate of fire is what made the Allied CL's great. Probably both

Exactly, but they too were very vulnerable until the Navy came up with more sophisticated radar and fire control systems. At Surigao Straight, the old BBs that were equipped with the very sophisticated MK 8 fire control system did all the shooting and hitting. Those ships using the older MK 3 system might as well have been sitting at the dock for all they were worth. In 42-43 radar gave a boost to Allied awareness, but it is doubtful that it added a whole lot to gunnery. Ships still needed to get close to be effective at night and the older ships really were vulnerable.

I have run my game with Ark through 1945 and life in surface battles really seems to mimic this. Now in our game the Allies surface forces totally dominate most any action-even with relatively equal forces. I just don't know how the game mechanics works but can only assume that more sophisticated radar is a factor. You sweat Japanese torpedoes in 42 and 43 but they just seem to become less of a factor later on while Allied torpedoes seem to be more effective. I think Viberpol will confirm this.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 2152
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/10/2013 5:16:18 PM   
viberpol

quote:

I have run my game with Ark through 1945 and life in surface battles really seems to mimic this. Now in our game the Allies surface forces totally dominate most any action-even with relatively equal forces. I just don't know how the game mechanics works but can only assume that more sophisticated radar is a factor. You sweat Japanese torpedoes in 42 and 43 but they just seem to become less of a factor later on while Allied torpedoes seem to be more effective. I think Viberpol will confirm this.

It's OT and thread's hijacking but...
OK. Well... Ross, I still believe I must been doing something wrong...
But for those of JFB who believe in the Japanese night engagement supremacy,
the truth is that the surface action in 4'45 looks more or less like this:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Ningpo at 92,56, Range 2,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Natsuzuki, Shell hits 28, and is sunk
DD Akishimo, Shell hits 1
DD Wakaba, Shell hits 24, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Maki, Shell hits 29, and is sunk
DD Kashi, Shell hits 24, and is sunk
DD Kaede, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Sakura, Shell hits 9, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Minekaze, Shell hits 3, on fire

Allied Ships
DD Taussig, Shell hits 1
DD Bearss, Shell hits 1
DD Conway, Shell hits 9, on fire
DD Haggard, Shell hits 5
DD Norman Scott, Shell hits 12

Poor visibility due to Thunderstorms with 3% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Thunderstorms and 3% moonlight: 2,000 yards

It's like Japanese ships and their captains lost their ability to fight at night...
and forgot how to use the long lances. Quite depressing I must say...

Przy lackim orle, przy koniu Kiejstuta Archanioł Rusi na proporcach błysł

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 2153
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/10/2013 5:29:02 PM   
JohnDillworth

not surprised at that. Setting up a torpedo probably took a bit of maneuvering and an assumption that your enemy did not spot you and would continue on a fairly predictable course. That would not happen to the Allies late in the war. It might happen to the Japanese. I think the Fuso and Yamashiro ran into just such a situation in 1944. Just as the Allies did at Savo in 1942

(in reply to viberpol)
Post #: 2154
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/10/2013 5:54:23 PM   
Encircled

All in the aid of catching GJ's post count of course, but there is a lot more to England that London (amazing though it is!). My home of Lancaster.

Lancaster Castle and the Lake District

Post #: 2155
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/10/2013 6:10:10 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

Japanese Ships

Allied Ships
DD Taussig, Shell hits 1
DD Bearss, Shell hits 1
DD Haggard, Shell hits 5

It's like Japanese ships and their captains lost their ability to fight at night...

If spreads of any torpedo were launched from 2k yards it would be tough to maneuver out of the way while firing accurately and not careening into the other ships in your own battle line. At night this would be much harder, and with the Type 93 it would be hardest I would think, as it would take about 30 seconds to arrive after launch at that distance.

I'd guess that in this battle none were launched as the visibility was only 2k and the USN probably opened fire by radar, hitting and creating confusion before the Japanese could even see them.

I've had a lot of these kinds of affairs already in 44 with the IJN suffering if here is any kind of visibility or detection discrepancy, and I think while that's incredibly frustrating, it might be getting close to accurate for the period.

(in reply to viberpol)
Post #: 2156
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/10/2013 7:51:35 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

At Surigao Straight, the old BBs that were equipped with the very sophisticated MK 8 fire control system did all the shooting and hitting. Those ships using the older MK 3 system might as well have been sitting at the dock for all they were worth.

While this comparison (Mk 3 v. the Mk 8 equipped BBs) is correct and true, it still misses the mark. The greatest impact at Surigao wasn't a surfeit of big gunned battlewagons lobbing hundreds of shells.

The biggest impact at Surigao was the functional torpedoes of the Desrons that attacked the Japanese battleline. A successful surprise attack with functional torpedoes ripped the Fuso in half, damaged Yamashiro and damaged or sank 3 of the Japanese DDs, if memory suits.

Oldendorf's battleships were cleaning up the scraps at that point. Sure, it was a glorious display of big gun firepower (the likes of which the world will never see again). But the mortal blow to the Japanese battleline had already been done.

ETA: Corrected BB names.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 6/10/2013 7:53:46 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 2157
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/11/2013 6:49:40 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Japanese Ships

Allied Ships
DD Taussig, Shell hits 1
DD Bearss, Shell hits 1
DD Haggard, Shell hits 5

If spreads of any torpedo were launched from 2k yards it would be tough to maneuver out of the way while firing accurately and not careening into the other ships in your own battle line. At night this would be much harder, and with the Type 93 it would be hardest I would think, as it would take about 30 seconds to arrive after launch at that distance.

I'd guess that in this battle none were launched as the visibility was only 2k and the USN probably opened fire by radar, hitting and creating confusion before the Japanese could even see them.

I've had a lot of these kinds of affairs already in 44 with the IJN suffering if here is any kind of visibility or detection discrepancy, and I think while that's incredibly frustrating, it might be getting close to accurate for the period.

I think the Japanese did not have much chance to launch torpedoes. The US ships had good radar that could penetrate the rain, and would have had their torps ready to launch on fairly accurate range and bearing data when the enemy was spotted. The Japanese would have needed time to gather such data and put it into their computers to aim their torpedoes and guns. During that time they were raked with gunfire of every caliber and hit with US torpedoes.

Also note that Japanese torpedo doctrine [authored by Capt. Tameichi Hara who wrote "Japanese Destroyer Captain"] was to rush in on a parabolic course, launching at the point of the parabola and rush away. This avoided enemy torpedoes and allowed the Japanese ships to reload their tubes in 20 minutes. The did not have much training in launching from a flat-footed straight course. Even Tanaka at Tassafaronga had to get the ships moving on an arc to make his torpedo attack.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2158
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/11/2013 8:16:35 AM   
obvert

I've been reading g a lot on destroyer battles in the Solomons. Really there was every kind of situation imaginable and sometimes the Allies radar gave them an advantage, sometimes not. Sometimes an ambush worked, sometimes the hunter became the hunted. Over time though it got better for the USN and the radar + sigint intel gave them a huge advantage. That is definitely going to be the case in 44-45. So yes, in the above and in many battles like this the Japanese might have not even launched.

The frustrating part is watching a replay where they did launch 24 from 2k and ALL missed!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2159
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 6/11/2013 4:08:41 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

I've been reading g a lot on destroyer battles in the Solomons. Really there was every kind of situation imaginable and sometimes the Allies radar gave them an advantage, sometimes not. Sometimes an ambush worked, sometimes the hunter became the hunted. Over time though it got better for the USN and the radar + sigint intel gave them a huge advantage. That is definitely going to be the case in 44-45. So yes, in the above and in many battles like this the Japanese might have not even launched.

The frustrating part is watching a replay where they did launch 24 from 2k and ALL missed!

Now that would be worthy of some hair-pulling, Obvert!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2160
Page:   <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  70 71 [72] 73 74   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI