Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fuel & PT boats/barges

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Fuel & PT boats/barges Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fuel & PT boats/barges - 1/8/2003 12:08:32 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Am I the only one still unsatisfied with the fuel storage and PT boat/barges fuel consumption issue? I'd like to hear other opinions.

With the current setup that these boats run on fuel oil I find it hard to conduct meaningful operations around frontline bases with these boats. It is next to impossible for me to gather enough fuel for sustained operations, unless the bases are captured and build up to levels that make tanker runs reasonable safe - and at this stage the need for PTs and barges is gone... - but that's why we have small boats, in order not to risk valuable ships in possible hot spots.

If I'm campaigning for Munda as Allies for example, I'd like to set up a PT-base on an undefended adjacent island like Rendova to battle the barges trying to reinforce Munda. In order to ship enough fuel up there I have to use TKs, AOs or AKs substituting as tankers or I have to station a tanker on replenishment mission at the beach. Unfortunately this puts the ships in a very dangerous spot right under the nose of the enemy, something I'd like to avoid. The only way I have discovered to build up a small fuel reserve for PTs/barges is to send a huge convoy of tankers up to the front, protect them with surface TFs, keep my CVs and/or LBA on CAP over them (assets that are tied up for the duration) and let them retire to a safer spot when danger is imminent or CAP needs a rest. Big show just for getting fuel for the PTs, and lots of targets for enemy reactions.

Problem is tankers and AKs unload fuel so painfully slow at beach hexes or small-sized ports that even many tankers in one TF each unloading a few dozen tons per day drop barely enough fuel to operate the PTs for more than just a few days. The fuel consumption of a few TFs with a dozen boats each is quite impressive. This gets even worse when transport TFs sent to the base top off their bunkers (often without really needing it) before they return to the barn and thus use up the precious fuel gathered for the PTs/barges.

But how realistic is fuel storage and fueling operations at beach hexes anyway? Usually there are no fuel storage facilities worth mentioning at beaches or small ports for tankers to discharge their cargo. But in UV, given enough time and lack of enemy intervention, you can store thousands of tons of fuel oil at a beach hex - but where would this stuff be stored IRL? Furthermore, this has a gamey effect on operations since combat TFs can be refueled up front with no need to retire to a major base or to replenishment TFs parked at a safe distance, one reason why the pace of operations in UV can be considerable faster than it was IRL.

Now, since planes in UV run on supplies I presume there are barrels with avgas included in this category. Since PTs and barges run on gasoline or diesel engines (certainly not on bunker C fuel oil), the same principle can apply there. [B]So, why not let PTs and barges use barrels of gasoline/diesel from the supply stocks? [/B] Since it is easier to move supplies to the front by small AK, LST, LCI and barges or even by transport planes, this approach should facilitate the use of PTs and barges at frontline bases and may allow for a more realistic usage of these small boats.

Furthermore, [B]I would like to see the auto-refueling of TFs outside Noumea and Brisbane deactivated[/B] , i.e. a TF at Lunga for example should only refuel if I hit the 'Refuel in Port' button. This would help to build up fuel stocks because the needless drain from auto-fueling TFs that actually still have enough fuel would be eliminated.

And finally, as the game already allows and these measures would further facilitate the build-up of fuel stocks at beach hexes or small bases above and beyond reasonable quantities, [B]I think we need an upper limit on the amount of fuel that can be stockpiled at each base[/B] . This could be achieved by permiting the discharge of fuel only at bases above size 3 or so and by a max storage capacity depending on port size (e.g. size 0,1,2 = none, 3 = 30k tons,..., 9 = 90k).

So, running PTs and barges with supplies representing gasoline drums, deactivating the auto-fuel function and limiting the fuel stocks capacities would have a ripple effect on operations, and a positive one IMO.

Okay, but maybe I'm just too dumb to figure out how to supply my PTs and barges properly without all those measures. Any hints?

Whoops, this one turned out to be longer than expected. Forgive me.

Post #: 1
- 1/8/2003 1:00:04 AM   
Mr.Frag

[QUOTE]Furthermore, I would like to see the auto-refueling of TFs outside Noumea and Brisbane deactivated , i.e. a TF at Lunga for example should only refuel if I hit the 'Refuel in Port' button. This would help to build up fuel stocks because the needless drain from auto-fueling TFs that actually still have enough fuel would be eliminated.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that one got me by surprise too, I had my CV task force docked in PM providing cover to deal with Rabaul's 2 billion bombers and next thing i know, PM has no fuel left!

Consumables seem to be out of proportion a tad. I understand that much of this game is about establishing lines of supply, but when I am burning 3+ 3000 AP's a day per base just to launch my bombers, it becomes impossible. The load & unload rates coupled with travel time makes it darn near impossible to keep up :(

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 2
Transparent yard craft - 1/8/2003 1:27:37 AM   
tanjman

LargeSlowTarget,

I agree with your post. I think they may be storing the fuel in Oil Storage Barges (YOS), but thats just a WAG.

Personally I think all the missing yard craft classes are transparent (considered part of the port infastucture). Below is a list of some of what I think are considered by Matrix/2by3 part of the port (size >2) infastructure:

YA Ash Lighter
YAG District Auxiliary, Miscellaneous
YC Open Lighter
YCK Open Cargo Lighter
YCV Aircraft Transportation Lighter
YD Floating Derrick
YDD District Derrick, Floating
YDG Degaussing Vessel
YDT Diving Tender
YE Ammunition Lighter
YF Covered Lighter
YFB Ferry Boat or Launch
YFD Floating Dry Dock (Non-Self-Propelled)
YFT Torpedo Transportation Lighter
YG Garbage Lighter
YH Ambulance Boat
YHB House Boat
YHT Heating Scow
YLA Open Landing Lighter
YM Dredge
YMS Motor Mine Sweeper
YMT Motor Tug
YN Net Tenders (Gate Craft)
YNg Gate Vessel (Non-Self-Propelled)
YNT Net Tenders (Tug Class)
YO Fuel Oil Barge (Self-Propelled)
YOG Gasoline Barge
YOS Oil Storage Barge
YP District Patrol Vessel (“Yippies”)
YPD Pile Driver (Floating)
YPK Pontoon Storage Barge
YR Floating Workshop (Non-Self-Propelled)
YRD(H) Floating Workshop, Drydock (Hull)
YRD(M) Floating Workshop, Drydock (Machinery)
YS Stevadoring Barge
YSD Seaplane Wrecking Derrick
YSP Salvage Pontoon
YSR Sludge Removal Barge
YT Harbor Tug
YTB Harbor Tug, Big
YTL Harbor Tug, Little
YTM Harbor Tug, Medium
YTR Harbor Tug, Small
YTT Torpedo Testing Barges
YW Water Barge (Self-Propelled)

Most people are amazed at the amount of yard craft are needed to support a major port.

BTW the YO and YOG would be nice to have to support the PT Boats, LCM's & LCVP's. ;)

Gunner's Mate: A Boatswain's Mate with a hunting license.

Post #: 3
Re: Fuel & PT boats/barges - 1/8/2003 4:50:02 AM   
mjk428

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LargeSlowTarget
[B]I would like to see the auto-refueling of TFs outside Noumea and Brisbane deactivated[/B] , i.e. a TF at Lunga for example should only refuel if I hit the 'Refuel in Port' button. This would help to build up fuel stocks because the needless drain from auto-fueling TFs that actually still have enough fuel would be eliminated. [/B][/QUOTE]

I third the motion.

Post #: 4
- 1/8/2003 5:23:52 AM   
Grumbling Grogn

How about making it an option on the base screen? I would hate to have to "pay" operations points to refuel tomorrow if the TF could have refueled over night automatically (as it does now).

The Grumbling Grognard

Post #: 5
- 1/8/2003 6:58:32 AM   
exedeus

I forth the notion as well,

i too did a "park a TF to provide air defense" to Lunga in Guadalcanal, and there went all my fuel!

I think you should have the option of weather or not you wish to "autofuel" taskforces.

"Uncommon Valor, was their common Virtue"

-Adm Nimitz in regards to U.S. Marines on Iwo Jima

Post #: 6
- 1/8/2003 8:52:32 AM   
Admiral DadMan

Also having the TF delivering Supplies/Fuel using the fuel it's delivering at it's destination port is a major pain too.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 7
- 1/9/2003 8:10:36 AM   
loader6

LargeSlowTarget,

I love your proposals! They make good sense to me. Especially the non-auto fuel option would be great. I also think it's hokey I can dump a bunch of fuel on an empty island to use to refill DD's that I used to raid Lunga and the slot when enemy Transports are moving down to resupply. I just never thought about it before and how basically an island with no infrastructure is able to resupply a group of ocean going vessels.

Post #: 8
Dont Need Fuel for PT Boats - 1/9/2003 1:52:34 PM   
Veldor

You don't need Fuel for PT Boats... In my AI game after I took Shortlands I sent them to Rabual. They nicely run out just about when they are there. Then they head back one hex and I just turn them around and they get their min 1 hex move back to rabual and attack and sink more ships... then I turn them around again... and again... and again... well until they all run out of ammo but 16 PT boats or so went a long way for me...
Now I wouldn't use that tactic in a PBEM game but seems a bit like a bug to me that I can "tow" my PT boats into an enemy port and attack with them... continually...

Post #: 9
- 1/10/2003 3:27:49 AM   
exedeus

NEVER underestimate the power of PT boats with oars!!!

I totally agree tho, if you run out of fuel.. you run out of fuel period! i think its nice that you can "paddle" your way back one hex at a time, but you shouldnt be able to engage an enemy at all! more like be a sitting duck than anything else!

"Uncommon Valor, was their common Virtue"

-Adm Nimitz in regards to U.S. Marines on Iwo Jima

Post #: 10
- 1/10/2003 4:32:54 AM   
Oliver Heindorf

LST, I have exactly the same problems. The day I can use the PT's, i dont need them anymore. Wont waste supply anymore to generate them. Great post ! :)

Post #: 11
- 1/11/2003 3:33:43 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Well, I'm elated that some people share my views. Now I wonder if Matrix has to say something about this issue...

Post #: 12
Checking out books and files... - 1/11/2003 3:48:35 AM   
RevRick

Most (as in virtually every one of them on which I could find specs) of the PT boats I find are powered by either Allison or Packard GASOLINE engines. Now, it would seem to me that if the airplanes can fly, the PT boats should be able to run as well. It is that simple, folks! It may not be easy to program, but it's ridiculous to have PT boats having to refuel with bunker grade to keep going when they couldn't burn the stuff in a bucket!

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Post #: 13
- 1/11/2003 4:00:09 AM   
Feinder

I think the reason they allow you to move one hex and autorefuel, is simply to help you as the player. Yes, if your don't have fuel in your tanks, you aren't going anywhere. But players are often throwing ships into TFs, and aren't mindful of the ranges or the fact they haven't fueld the TF (I can't say how many times I've answered, "What is that red number by fuel display?").

I understand that you (esp those of us with more experience at UV), may not WANT the help. But taking out the 1-hex minimum move, even for players that have been playing a while, the boards would be filled shouts of, "Why won't my TFs move! They're just sitting in the middle of the ocean!"

I suppose it wouldn't be bad (if it wan't too much of a pain to program), to put a game option to disable this "feature" for those that want the situation "hard core". That way people that are learning the game (or are just lazy like me and apprecaiate the 1 hex move because my SCs -almost- had the range to go from Noumea to Brisbane *grin*) can leave the option on. And for those who want to have to dispatch an oiler to refuel your TF that is sitting in middle of the Coral Sea, then so be it.

-F-

Post #: 14
- 1/11/2003 5:08:18 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

I understand Feinder's objections and the 'hard core' option seems to be a good solution. I would certainly use it. But I find the 1-hex minimum move is acceptable, I'm not asking to do away with it. It can be partly explained by tugs not represented in this game towing the 'dry' vessel to safety (but this explanation works only in areas not under enemy domination). And in a few cases I need this feature myself: :confused: :eek: :( :mad: *add smiley for 'banging head on the table'*. An auto-return function when low on fuel like the one patched into the sub operations would be nice for surface ops, too...

What I'm asking for is a solution for the auto-fueling TFs draining forward bases of fuel intended for the PTs/barges. It would be enough to implement either the 'boats use supplies' or the 'disable auto-refuel' proposal in order to remedy the situation. I would prefer the former, if avgas can be shiped in drums, then boats can be fueld the same way. And the latter would still require tanker runs to front bases, which I'd like to avoid (I've never read about tankers being included in invasion TFs).
The stockpiling limit was added as an afterthought. Well, actually I've posted this idea way earlier already, but apparently it wasn't well received at that time ... :(

With my proposed changes more use would have to be made of replenishment TFs to avoid having ships running out of fuel.
At least for the Allies there are abundant AOs and TKs, and those ships would be available for replenishment duty since they couldn't do much else unless the forward bases have been built up to a certain level to allow fuel storage. The new bases would then tie down tankers to fill up their fuel storages, but on the other hand would provide new fueling stations and thus reduce the risk for ships to run dry.
The Japanese might suffer more from this changes since they have fewer tankers, but this might be seen as a partial equalizer for their unlimited fuel supplies at Truk (remember the debate on this forum on the 'how much fuel at Truk' issue prior to the release of this game?).

Oh Feinder, on your Noumea-Brisbane-SC problem: have you thought about the inclusion of larger ships in the SC-TF, e.g. a destroyer or AV that serves as mothership for fuel? Or just transfer your SCs together with some transports you'd like to send over to Oz anyway.

Post #: 15
A couple of points... - 1/11/2003 5:23:51 AM   
Orion_SS1

1) I've been using LCIs and LSTs to move fuel to my PT- Boat bases from larger bases. Works for me.

2) Air-combat TFs don't have to be parked at the base to provide air cover. If you park them a hex away and have the base designated as the LRCAP target of as many fighter squadrons as you feel comfortable with using, then you won't have the fuel-vacuum problem.

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Fuel & PT boats/barges Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI