Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/10/2013 6:57:33 PM   
Twotribes

Every Matrix title I have has the same problem. As I click to do things in the game it randomly shuts the game down and I lose everything I have done for that turn. I complained in ATG about it and was told it was not a known problem and no one knew what I was talking about. I have numerous titles from this company and it is the ONLY common link.

As I click to do things the screen flickers or for a moment reverts to the opening box for the game and eventually randomly just shuts the game down to the opening box if it hasn't been already turned off, that is another problem it randomly puts the box over the game screen but I can just shut that down from the box.

I am tired of starting over all the time.
Post #: 1
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/10/2013 8:12:46 PM   
shunwick

Ok. That is weird.

It might be an idea to list your computer specs and operating system. Have you tried running the games direct from the exe instead of using the Matrix launch menu box thingy?

Have you tried setting compatibility options on any of the games? Are there any other problems that manifest themselves eg sound problems? I think more information is required.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 6/10/2013 8:14:34 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 2
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/10/2013 8:30:04 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

If this is across multiple games from multiple devs then it does seem more like a system issue than something to do with the Matrix logo .

I would suggest downloading a RAM-checker via google and check that you don't have a memory stick that has gone rogue.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/10/2013 9:19:28 PM   
Twotribes

It does not happen on any other program game or otherwise.

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 4
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/10/2013 9:56:15 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

That could easily be because of the memory etc that the specific games are using. Are the issues across multiple games and developers?

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 5
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/10/2013 11:43:26 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi TwoTribes,

That is absolutely not an issue that is in any way common to our games, but it sounds like something on your system is causing a problem. I would look at your drivers, including things like mouse drivers, and at third party applications, especially anti-virus/security software first to try to see if anything there could be having problems.

If this is happening across multiple of our games, it's not a game-specific crash problem. It's definitely not something we've seen or had reported.

What are your system specs? When did you last reinstall your system?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 6
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/11/2013 3:49:38 AM   
RangerX3X

I am by no means a Matrix fanboy, however I have to ask:

1) How many Matrix games do you have?
2) Does your system exceed the minimum requirements for these games?
3) When is the last time that you defragged your PC or otherwise did some form of registry maintenance?
4) Have you trouble-shooted using Windows compatibility modes?
5) Do you routinely run AV, spyware and malware utilities?

It would be helpful to know some basic specs of your system and what specific games you are referring to other than just “all Matrix games I have” (which tells us nothing).

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/11/2013 6:50:28 AM   
Twotribes

I have registered 27 games. One is a repeat so 26.

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 8
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/11/2013 1:53:23 PM   
bassani2011

Hi Twotribes

Have you tried the suggestions from the users mentioned in this thread? Has it resolved your issue?

Kind Regards

Christian B

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 9
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/11/2013 4:57:54 PM   
Josh

Are you saying that all of the 26 Matrix games suffer the same problem... and all other games don't?
It can't be that all Matrix games are faulty downloads, that can happen once or twice... not 26 times. Or have you by any chance recently re-downloaded them all, and say you didn't turn off you AV scanner... then it could be that all of your downloads are corrupted.
Or maybe you have them all installed on a SSD (solid state disk) .. dunno, just guessing here.

(in reply to bassani2011)
Post #: 10
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/11/2013 5:13:07 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

I have registered 27 games. One is a repeat so 26.

Twotribes,

I am confused. According to your first post you said that in every Matrix game you have as you click to do something (at random intervals) the game crashes.

Now you say you have 26 Matrix games. I cannot believe that it has taken you 26 malfunctioning games to complain about it so I have to assume that this is a problem that has only just recently surfaced. Is this correct? Were these games running OK and then suddenly started exhibiting this behaviour?

Please, please, provide more information. People can only help you if they can understand what is going on.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 11
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/11/2013 8:14:22 PM   
RangerX3X

In line with what shunwick supposes, if this is a recent issue (now impacting all, if only Matrix games) I am betting that the Microsoft libraries that some games require may have become corrupted.

I would start with the last game purchased and installed, uninstall and reinstall and see if that fixes the issue. Work backwards until you find the weakest link...

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 12
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/12/2013 3:03:49 AM   
Twotribes

I suspected it was a mouse program I installed but I have since removed that program. And this has been going on for over a year now. I originally found it in ATG. And complained there and was told it was not a problem associated with the game. Since then I have tried other Matrix games and yes the same thing happens. First the Matrix load box appears and has to be turned off then eventually a random click ends the program Sometimes with a lot of in between time flickering screen. None of my none Matrix games has this occur. None of my Online games has this problem Though I can not minimize out in them. I ran several Dx Diag and found nothing, except for my bios all my drivers are the most up todate, Bios is from 2011.

I am 55 and not a wiz on computers used to make my son do all that, he never found anything and he is not available anymore.

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 13
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/12/2013 4:30:44 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

The key point people are trying to make is that, with 27 games, there is no shared code or even language used to make the games. So there isn't any commonality between them.

The only thing I can suggest trying is to disable the launcher after the games start, as perhaps you are running low on memory or something like that. To do this just start the game normally, and then ALT+TAB out and close down the launcher window. Some games might even run correctly just by starting the game EXE directly and bypassing the launcher, but if you are not a wiz then just closing the launcher is probably the best approach

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 14
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/12/2013 4:33:11 PM   
VPaulus

DxDiag will only test DirectX installation. Some games don't even use it, they use for example OpenGL.
In the case of games published by Matrix, it depends on the developer. So not all Matrix games use the same system resources.

Do you remember what mouse it was? Did you installed any software related to that mouse?

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 6/12/2013 4:34:17 PM >

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 15
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/12/2013 6:25:15 PM   
Twotribes

Can't alt tab out if I do it shuts the game down. That is common with my online games as well. It was not a mouse program from a mouse I installed it was an add on program and stand alone.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 16
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/12/2013 6:43:12 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

It sounds 99.9% like a system issue. The fact that some games aren't affected is fairly common, depending upon the cause of the problem. Inability to ALT+TAB out of anything makes me think video driver issue, perhaps related to it's Windows desktop acceleration, but it's almost impossible to say.

Also, unfortunately, removing misbehaving apps (e.g. the mouse app you are talking about) doesn't always remove offending components. I would recommend a complete reinstall of Windows as the best way to fix the issue - but I recognise this is a major pain.

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 17
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/12/2013 8:17:36 PM   
Kineas

Try to create a new user on your operating system (Windows 7?), and start the games from the new desktop. If necessary reinstall some games. Maybe this simple trick solves your problem. Which sounds to me as a driver problem, maybe it's related to a faulty utility program (Sticky Keys, autoclickers etc.)

Post #: 18
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/12/2013 9:17:49 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

It sounds 99.9% like a system issue. The fact that some games aren't affected is fairly common, depending upon the cause of the problem. Inability to ALT+TAB out of anything makes me think video driver issue, perhaps related to it's Windows desktop acceleration, but it's almost impossible to say.

Also, unfortunately, removing misbehaving apps (e.g. the mouse app you are talking about) doesn't always remove offending components. I would recommend a complete reinstall of Windows as the best way to fix the issue - but I recognise this is a major pain.

Cheers

Pip

Unfortunately that is what I would suggest too... Totally wipe your harddisk clean, reinstall everything new... which is indeed a lot of work, like Pip says a *major* pain, lots of work. It's easy compared to the old DOS days but still can take hours to complete. Still it's better than not being able to play games at all.
That is why some folks go for game consoles... but then you wouldn't be able to play wargames at all.

Post #: 19
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/12/2013 9:24:41 PM   
major.pain

This reminds me of a problem i used to have with widows 7 trying to run old dos games.
It was related to my desktop background. Try setting your desktop to a plain background not a picture/design ect.

right click on desktop/properties/desktop/

If that does not work try booting in safe mode and then running the program/game, if the problem is no longer present you know it is a program/driver that is being loaded into windows later on during the system boot up and will have some where to work from to find the culprit.

I would then look at running "msconfig" and selecting the "startup" tab and unchecking all those boxes so these programs no longer start on boot up and again run the offending games to see if you still have an issue.

This step is simple to undo if you are unsure by just rechecking the boxes in "msconfig" and rebooting if you are concerened about it causing you any further problems.

Hope it helps.

(in reply to Kineas)
Post #: 20
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/12/2013 11:47:33 PM   
Qwixt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

Unfortunately that is what I would suggest too... Totally wipe your harddisk clean, reinstall everything new... which is indeed a lot of work, like Pip says a *major* pain, lots of work. It's easy compared to the old DOS days but still can take hours to complete. Still it's better than not being able to play games at all.
That is why some folks go for game consoles... but then you wouldn't be able to play wargames at all.

That's a bit extreme. If it was me, after playing around with compatibility settings, I would remove all sound and video drivers, then use something like driversweeper to cleanup the old drivers for both nvidia and ati. I would get all the available updates for the motherboard and chipset. Update the mouse driver. Run windows update and make sure everything looks good. Update sound and video drivers with the latest.

If problem persisted after that, I would monitor system heat for CPU and GPU, then run a memory test too. If there was still a problem after that, I might consider a clean install of the OS.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 21
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/12/2013 11:57:48 PM   
shunwick

I have never had the need to try it but would a system restore be worth a go first? Would that be less painful? I agree it does sound like a system problem.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 22
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/13/2013 3:31:18 AM   
rhondabrwn

This probably isn't your problem, but it's a good tale to share... and might even be applicable...

I built a new PC awhile back and it booted just fine, but when I started trying to run games and flight simulators it would freeze up after anywhere from 3 to 15 minutes. Tried everything... nothing worked....

THEN... I took a good look at the graphics card and discovered that a tiny wire to one of the fans had gotten caught in the graphics card fan. That's why it was crashing... depending on how intensive graphics were in the games... it would overheat and lock up at some point with MS Flight Simulator being the first to crash.

So, check the fan on your graphics card and make sure it is functioning OK. It could be a heat related problem that has nothing to do with your software.

Far out possibility, but who would think a wire would get caught in a fan and crash a system LOL

I suspect a complete reinstall of Windows is in your future though. Personally, I've always enjoyed doing a complete rebuild... gives you a chance to get rid of all the trash free programs and other junk that you really don't need.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 23
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/15/2013 2:58:01 AM   
Rtwfreak

Yeah it sounds like he's trying to play an $80 horse on a $10 saddle of a machine.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 24
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/15/2013 8:48:25 AM   
Aurelian

If the games worked then, but don't work now, it isn't the games.

System restore, if you can go back before the current problem, could work.

But a drive reformat and reinstall, which is a pain, (but I do it every year.) will work.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 25
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/15/2013 3:20:51 PM   
htuna

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

This probably isn't your problem, but it's a good tale to share... and might even be applicable...

I built a new PC awhile back and it booted just fine, but when I started trying to run games and flight simulators it would freeze up after anywhere from 3 to 15 minutes. Tried everything... nothing worked....

THEN... I took a good look at the graphics card and discovered that a tiny wire to one of the fans had gotten caught in the graphics card fan. That's why it was crashing... depending on how intensive graphics were in the games... it would overheat and lock up at some point with MS Flight Simulator being the first to crash.

So, check the fan on your graphics card and make sure it is functioning OK. It could be a heat related problem that has nothing to do with your software.

Far out possibility, but who would think a wire would get caught in a fan and crash a system LOL

I suspect a complete reinstall of Windows is in your future though. Personally, I've always enjoyed doing a complete rebuild... gives you a chance to get rid of all the trash free programs and other junk that you really don't need.

I had the wire in the graphics fan issue too... simple fix for a problem that I didn't realize was so obvious.

In the old days with XP, I would format and rebuild every few years to clean things up. With Windows 7, I really haven't had to do that. Pretty fine running OS.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 26
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/16/2013 8:23:21 AM   
2ndACR

It is system related for sure TT, you have been around long enough and have played WITP for years. That right there should tell you it is system related.

I am no computer guru so will not offer any advice other than to tell you it is 100% system related.

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 27
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/17/2013 5:10:16 PM   
Kuokkanen

Actually TOAW3 has crashed on me once or twice. Pop-up text box (I think proper term is tool tip) appears to block a button, I click on the text repeatedly thinking it will go away, game shuts off. No such problems with SPWAW and Panzer Corps demo, but Starshatter might have shut off inexplicibly (not sure there).

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 28
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/23/2013 1:06:52 PM   
Kineas

Hey Twotribes, can you share the end of the story with us?

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 29
RE: Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games - 6/23/2013 6:20:11 PM   
freeboy

well there are some diagnostics built into windows... he can dig deeper and see an event log and how the items are failing...
my computer was in such bad shape I could not get much going, I had to do a complete wipe and reinstall of everything, then about fifteen rounds of windows updats!
took me about four days to get it "updated", old but still fast quad core... dont hate windows, just not in love with MS...
so, its now a clean mean playing games machine, again... I had to do some manual updating as well as the auto stuff is stupid, a few drivers and such.. my guess from the posting is the author needed some required file, that is installed but corrupted, its the "wire in the fan" example...
for me aI had multiple issues with bad sectors and after months of frustrations decided to just trash the contents of my hard drives and start afresh..
Hint, Dont roll the computer down the stairs, its not pretty, I am just glad the bioootchie still runs at all...

(in reply to Kineas)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Gonna have to stop buying Matrix games Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI